PDA

View Full Version : Rib bones or No rib Bones

Butcher BBQ
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Okay I have been seeing more and more pics where you are placing your ribs in a box while showing 2 rows of the bones on the ribs. My questions is whats your favorite way of presentation. Bones up or bones down? Or do you think it makes a difference?

CivilWarBBQ
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you. Picture?

I judged a contest yesterday where one cook had chosen to present his baby backs meat side down, so the curved bones were all sticking up in the box. The effect was reminiscent of a whale skelton on the beach - not very appealing. If this is what you are describing I would say it's not a good idea IMO.

Rub
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I always have mine up to the top.

Alexa RnQ
03-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Ewwwww @ the whale skeleton!! LOL!

I would think you'd put the "handles" where it's easiest for a judge to grab.

Butcher BBQ
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you. Picture?

I judged a contest yesterday where one cook had chosen to present his baby backs meat side down, so the curved bones were all sticking up in the box. The effect was reminiscent of a whale skelton on the beach - not very appealing. If this is what you are describing I would say it's not a good idea IMO.

As the others are saying, where the judges can use the bone to grab or put the bone down in the greens and the brisket end up.

CivilWarBBQ
03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Ah ok, now I understand.

Meat up probably looks a bit more enticing, but bone up makes it obvious you have enough ribs in the box. I'm not sure one method scores better than the other based on only this factor.

Finney
03-15-2010, 06:39 AM
The simple answer is: Rib bone up.

pat
03-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Ive always done bone down but now you got me thinking.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I always go rib bone up

SmokinOkie
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Haven't seen a box, as a judge, with the bones up.

Since you're going for appearance points, go with the prettiest side; meat side up.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
What he is asking is when you lay the ribs in the box with the meat side facing up, is if the bone at the end of the rib (you know the handle) is at the top of the box or the bottom of the box. I like to lay my ribs sideways and then the handle is generally on the right.