PDA

View Full Version : BBQ in the Bluffs / Council Bluffs, Ia. Info..

BBQ_Mayor
03-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Has anybody got any infomation about this contest? I've sent emails, my brother has sent emails and we know another team that hasn't heard anything back either.

Does anybody have this years' form they could send me? Or a phone number of a contact?

Thanks

pat
03-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I sent an email too Ray but didn't hear anything. The website says the apps are coming soon.

http://www.celebratecb.org/

monty3777
03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I haven't heard back from them either!

musicmanryann
03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Same experience here as everyone else. Its on KCBS.us, so they have paid sanctioning fees, so I am sure it is going to happen...maybe....

pat
03-12-2010, 10:09 AM
They only had 22 teams last year. Looks like they might get more interest this year?

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Looked like they had a new contact for the contest this year. Good luck over there those of you going.

ModelMaker
03-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Happy days all. Spring done sprung. Saw my first red belly yesterday.
Smoke on my brothers!!
Ed
ModelMaker

thenewguy
03-12-2010, 04:02 PM
No replies from me either...although they probably don't want me back...

BRBBQ
03-13-2010, 01:12 AM
About a week ago I talked to the guy running it, he was having medical issues and was thinking about getting someone else to run the show. Maybe he's back on track.

monty3777
03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I haven't gotten a respond to my email. I put in a call today. If I don't hear anything then we're going to Austin instead!

pat
03-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Apps are up at the site. Right hand side about half way down.

http://www.celebratecb.org/

Limited to 27 teams according to the site.

monty3777
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Any Brethren going for sure?

pat
03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Sent in my app today.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Sending in our app tomorrow....

thenewguy
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
sent mine in.....reluctantly.

BBQ_Mayor
03-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Ours went in.

monty3777
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll be honest - I'm only going to go because some good farkers are going too - but from what I have experienced with the organizers I think we'll all regret it. I think we should all bring generators and water! :crazy::pray:

Trucky1008
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I've wanted to compete for over a year, I just haven't had the courage to pull the trigger. Well, I'm finally gonna give it a whirl. I sent my app in for this contest today. :shocked:

Like some of the others that have commented on this thread I have been unable to reach any of the event organizers by phone or email. I'm not even sure if there's any spots available. I sure hope that I'm in. Now that I've committed I'm getting excited at the prospect of getting to compete. This weekend I'll be doing a full practice run. I look forward to meeting my fellow Brethren that will be at this event. My brother Dennis, Trucky9754, will be a team member and garyk1398 says he'll be showing up to help as well. Wish us luck!

JBI
03-29-2010, 08:32 PM
I sent my application today too. First time competing in a KCBS event. Look forward to meeting the other teams. Anybody out there willing to help out a newby?

BBQ_Mayor
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I've wanted to compete for over a year, I just haven't had the courage to pull the trigger. Well, I'm finally gonna give it a whirl. I sent my app in for this contest today. :shocked:

Like some of the others that have commented on this thread I have been unable to reach any of the event organizers by phone or email. I'm not even sure if there's any spots available. I sure hope that I'm in. Now that I've committed I'm getting excited at the prospect of getting to compete. This weekend I'll be doing a full practice run. I look forward to meeting my fellow Brethren that will be at this event. My brother Dennis, Trucky9754, will be a team member and garyk1398 says he'll be showing up to help as well. Wish us luck!

I sent my application today too. First time competing in a KCBS event. Look forward to meeting the other teams. Anybody out there willing to help out a newby?

If you guys need anything, just ask a brother.

BRBBQ
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
I live in the Bluffs and will find out whats going on. I know the guy running the comp was trying to find another person because of medical issue. With luck I'll report back :pop2: Well don't look like Ray is working it these folks are.

For more information contact: Tamara Brunow at 402-515-6671 or Steve Gorman 712-310-9431

JBI
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks much! Look forward to meeting you.

pat
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
If you guys need anything, just ask a brother.

Ditto what Ray said.

Trucky1008
03-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Ditto what Ray said.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

thenewguy
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Same here-if you need anything, just ask...as long as you let me beat you-just sayin'!

monty3777
03-29-2010, 11:46 PM

Stop in and say hi at Holy and Oly's. We're glad to help in any way we can! (you too, Trucky!)

JBI
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Ditto what Ray said.

Thanks much Gents!!

Joel

BBQ_Mayor
03-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Anybody know how many teams are signed up for this one yet?

pat
03-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Don't know the team count Ray. They cashed my check yesterday though...hope that means its a go!

devious
03-31-2010, 07:30 AM
i wont be entering, but id be glad to help out. just PM me if ya need help.

Trucky1008
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
I just got a call from the organizer (Tamara) and she confirmed that I was in. Everything is a go. As indicated earlier in this thread, the original organizer dropped out of sight over a week ago and they've been scrambling to get someone else. She made a comment that she'd be getting stuff out to the teams in about a week.

BBQ_Mayor
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I just got a call from the organizer (Tamara) and she confirmed that I was in. Everything is a go. As indicated earlier in this thread, the original organizer dropped out of sight over a week ago and they've been scrambling to get someone else. She made a comment that she'd be getting stuff out to the teams in about a week.

Thanks Don.
:thumb:

monty3777
03-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Right on!

Shotgun
03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Great! wasnt sure if this one was going to happen. sounds like its on its way. dont forgot the smokehouse seventy-brew Monty.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Monty, bring the Buster Dog brew on your way back home.

thenewguy
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
What? no meat mafia brew?

monty3777
04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
What? no meat mafia brew?

You make a good point. Perhaps I should start brewing a brew for every comp instead of every team. As it is now there's a lot of really deserving lushes out there who don't have a beer named for their team or their drunken teammates. Suffice it to say I can't keep the entire IBS sauced - as much as I'd like to be able to :laugh:

I'll try and have a keg ready for Ottumwa, in your honor Mike!

BRBBQ
04-03-2010, 10:51 AM
This comp is turning into a Brethren throw down! Brethren against Brethren:boxing:

Buster Dog BBQ
04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone know how many teams they are up to? The wife is thinking she might want to make the trip.

pat
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Do it Rod! Haven't heard a team count yet.

BBQ_Mayor
04-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Come on Rod. Bring it!. :boxing: Plus, you'll get to see the inaugural run of the Smokehouse 72 rig. :clap2:

Charcoalloungers
04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
This event fill yet?

Buster Dog BBQ
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
This event fill yet?
She thought one or two teams left on Wednesday of last week. Still waiting to see if I got one. She was out of office that week I talked to her and didn't know what was in the mail.

Rookie'48
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I just sent her an e-mail asking if she needed any more judges. If so, then I'll see y'all Friday afternoon.

Rookie'48
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Tamara called me back this morning, she says that they are starting to get everything back on track :-D. I'm in for judging and she needs about 5 more judges to be good. See ya there Friday evening :thumb:.

BBQ_Mayor
04-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Tamara called me back this morning, she says that they are starting to get everything back on track :-D. I'm in for judging and she needs about 5 more judges to be good. See ya there Friday evening :thumb:.

She did'nt happen to say how many teams where in, did she? We're going anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter just need to know if we need to bring extra cash and line up another cooker from Roo. :becky:

Buster Dog BBQ
04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
She did'nt happen to say how many teams where in, did she? We're going anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter just need to know if we need to bring extra cash and line up another cooker from Roo. :becky:
31 names on the email that went out.

Trucky1008
04-20-2010, 07:31 AM
I got an email from Tamara last evening confirming that I'm in!

BBQ_Mayor
04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
31 names on the email that went out.

Thanks Rod!

monty3777
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
For those of you who went last year - is there a hotel near by? I also plan to ask the organizers, but I want to hear from folks who understand the timing issues related to BBQ so that we don't end up in a place we can't use. It's only Jeff and I with the van and the smoker - no trailer or anything.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
For those of you who went last year - is there a hotel near by? I also plan to ask the organizers, but I want to hear from folks who understand the timing issues related to BBQ so that we don't end up in a place we can't use. It's only Jeff and I with the van and the smoker - no trailer or anything.
What's wrong with the van? I am only going to have my 6 x 12 and will sleep in there. I can bring you a zero gravity chair.

From what I remember, there isn't any real close hotels like walking distance.

BBQ_Mayor
04-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Not bringing the Holy Roller? I was hoping to see it.
No hotels nearby, probably 10 min. drive back to the Madison/ I-80 interchange where there are some hotels.

monty3777
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Rod - looks like the van will be the best set up. I think I might invest in a good cot and sleep outside!

Ray - the Holy Roller belongs to Mark and he is probably going to be bust planting crops so he may not come.

Thanks for your responses guys!

thenewguy
04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
So, just cause it's "his" doesn't mean he's got to be there...right?
Tell him to take one for the team and hook it up to the van!
No close hotels that I can remember.

KC_Bobby
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Tell Mark theirs no I in Holy and Oly's ... although theirs no Mark either so maybe he has a point

BRBBQ
04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
There's no hotel, motel, or bathrooms, well I'm sure port johns will be there. Across the street is 2 Funeral homes, you can rest there:rip:. This contest is around a square park (1 block x 1 block x 1 block x 1 block) with a water fountain in the middle, and one big rock:becky: Here's the lay out. On the east side of the square is a bar, on the south side are funeral homes, on the west side,, nothing worth talking about! And on the north side, church. There's a Godfathers pizza across the street on the north east corner of the park, at least it's not on the same street as the funeral home's :-D:becky:

BBQ_Mayor
04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Well I guess we are in..:rolleyes:. Jay informs me last night that the check had cleared. Then gets an email from Tamara that says she didn't get the entry form....What??:confused::frusty:. So we need to send a new entry form and she'll find us a spot. Your damn right you will...:mad2:.
The season hasn't even started yet for us and it's already screwed up. Anyway, I guess Smokehouse 72 will be coming to CB with their damn black cloud in tow.:rain: See you all there.

pat
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Glad 72 is coming! Just keep your damn black cloud over your spot ok?

BBQ_Mayor
04-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Glad 72 is coming! Just keep your damn black cloud over your spot ok?

Maybe well request to be right next to you Pat.:becky:. you just need to watch out for those lighting strikes.:shocked:

BRBBQ
04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
These people are making me worried, and I live here:becky: I've emailed Steve, no reply.

monty3777
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Well I guess we are in..:rolleyes:. Jay informs me last night that the check had cleared. Then gets an email from Tamara that says she didn't get the entry form....What??:confused::frusty:. So we need to send a new entry form and she'll find us a spot. Your damn right you will...:mad2:.
The season hasn't even started yet for us and it's already screwed up. Anyway, I guess Smokehouse 72 will be coming to CB with their damn black cloud in tow.:rain: See you all there.

Now if we can only get a black cloud over Smokey D's as well I might actually have a chance at a top 10 finish!!! In fact, I hope you are all good and p*$$ed when you show up!!! :heh: :boxing:

monty3777
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
FWIW, I am in the process of starting a side-line knife sharpening business. If any of you want - bring your knives and I'll sharpen the first one for free (maybe you can help me determine a fair price for this service after I sharpen one for you). You can give me some feed back and I can get a better sense of whether I have the inclination to do this for the general public.

I will be using an EdgePro Apex with 220 and 320 stones. I won't be bringing my water stones so I wouldn't be able to handle any repairs in CB - just sharpening.

BRBBQ
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
After 3 emails I'm there, really that sucked. As I said before, your all number :first: until judgement day:laugh: :brushteeth:

Buster Dog BBQ
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
FWIW, I am in the process of starting a side-line knife sharpening business. If any of you want - bring your knives and I'll sharpen the first one for free (maybe you can help me determine a fair price for this service after I sharpen one for you). You can give me some feed back and I can get a better sense of whether I have the inclination to do this for the general public.

I will be using an EdgePro Apex with 220 and 320 stones. I won't be bringing my water stones so I wouldn't be able to handle any repairs in CB - just sharpening.
I might have you do a few of mine. Maybe I can swap a couple Buster Dog Brews in return :)

monty3777
04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I might have you do a few of mine. Maybe I can swap a couple Buster Dog Brews in return :)

I'm actually going to crack one open here in the next few minutes (along with the 7Brew) to see how they turned out! Cross your fingers.

KC_Bobby
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Nate's bringing beer? I might head up there just to hang out.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Nate's bringing beer? I might head up there just to hang out.
Ha ha. Nate's getting the Bob Denner curse. No one wins who drinks beer with Bob. Bob, stay away from our site. Go hang out under the Smokehouse black cloud. :-D:-D:-D

BBQ_Mayor
04-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Ha ha. Nate's getting the Bob Denner curse. No one wins who drinks beer with Bob. Bob, stay away from our site. Go hang out under the Smokehouse black cloud. :-D:-D:-D

Bob is welcome in our site, he brought us good luck in Excelsior last year. And we are more than happy to share that black cloud with you B-dog. Don't think were not the giving type of people.:wink:

monty3777
04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Bob is welcome in our site, he brought us good luck in Excelsior last year. And we are more than happy to share that black cloud with you B-dog. Don't think were not the giving type of people.:wink:

Ray - I'm trying your beer tonight. Rod - yours turned out great (IMO). Bob - I hope to bottle yours in a couple of days. Make the trip and get yours too :thumb:

Hey Mike (Spanky) - are you going to be in Ottumwa? If so, let me know a favorite style and I'll try and have a keg ready. For sure by M'town!

Smokin' Joe
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Hey Nate-
I will look you up the next time our paths cross for a little knife sharpening. FWIW, I paid $4/knife at the royal last year...no idea if that is high or low, or if it was a good job or a poor one:icon_blush:

KC_Bobby
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM

:tsk: Oh contrar there Buster Dog mofrar!

I was hanging with Todd when he won his first GC in 2007, where I learned to make parsley boxes and ran in his boxes
I assisted Paul - mainly consume beverages - when half of the normal team was on vacation last year when the Pickled Pigs got their first GC

Now by no means am I implying that my cooking skills had any positive influence on either of them (cause I really didn't touch much product either time) ... but ya can't overlook the power of having good mojo. :thumb:

pat
04-22-2010, 09:17 AM
I promise not to wear my Iowa hat if you hang in my camp mojo man.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-22-2010, 10:14 AM
:tsk: Oh contrar there Buster Dog mofrar!

I was hanging with Todd when he won his first GC in 2007, where I learned to make parsley boxes and ran in his boxes
I assisted Paul - mainly consume beverages - when half of the normal team was on vacation last year when the Pickled Pigs got their first GC

Now by no means am I implying that my cooking skills had any positive influence on either of them (cause I really didn't touch much product either time) ... but ya can't overlook the power of having good mojo. :thumb:
Forgive me, I must have misinterpreted your facebook post from the weekend saying those you dont drink with (ie.Darren) finished well.

musicmanryann
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Now that just wouldn't be right.:tsk:

KC_Bobby
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Forgive me, I must have misinterpreted your facebook post from the weekend saying those you dont drink with (ie.Darren) finished well.

I think it was everyone we DO drink with (meaning teams we generally hang around with and competed that weekend) did do very well. At least that's how I meant it.

Darren doesn't seem to drink much during the competition - or at least I don't seem to see him.

Shotgun
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM

You mean thats a hat? I thought it was just a extension of your soul.

thenewguy
04-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Hmmm...I've yet to get an email or snail mail reply.
They cashed my check so I'll be there.
Now you guys are starting to see why I was reluctant to do this contest-don't ya?!
Nate, I'll be at ottumwa-they cashed that check anyways, so I'm gonna show up there too.
And if you guys get stuck next to the 72 crew-make sure your ez ups are tied down good too! Them boys get all the luck!

Shotgun
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Yep pretty much just spewing luck every where Spanky, CB organizers did get back to me and confirmed my check is in their system, but dont know what happen to the entry form. Anyway, we are in. they also told me they had 36 teams as of yesterday.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Yep pretty much just spewing luck every where Spanky, CB organizers did get back to me and confirmed my check is in their system, but dont know what happen to the entry form. Anyway, we are in. they also told me they had 36 teams as of yesterday.
They must be blocking off all 4 sides of the block. I thought it was a 27 team limit. Just hope that doesn't mean 36 in 27 slots.

I think Pitmasters really got the BBQ interest up quite a bit. Most contest seem to be up 10-20 teams from last few years.

monty3777
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Nate, I'll be at ottumwa-they cashed that check anyways, so I'm gonna show up there too.

Favorite style of beer?

Docmiller
07-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Has anybody got any infomation about this contest? I've sent emails, my brother has sent emails and we know another team that hasn't heard anything back either.

Does anybody have this years' form they could send me? Or a phone number of a contact?

Thanks call ann vorthman 1-402-488-2259 lew miller