PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment The Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series

beardjp
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Here we go kicking it up in Ohio!!! 2010 is the 1st year for the Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series. With combined efforts of Dave Smith, (Marietta Brick Street BBQ), Jim Ferguson, (Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cook-Off) and myself, (Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival) we have come up with triple crown BBQ point series to promote BBQ in Ohio and Competitive BBQ in the US. Right now we have a trophy for the Triple Crown champion but we are working to hopefully increase that. So as you are planning your BBQ adventures for this summer and fall, DO NOT FORGET O-H-I-O!!!

All three events are KCBS sanctioned, and the Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cook-Off and Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival are both state championships. The guys in Marietta are working hard to receive their proclamation also as a state championship. The three competitions have a combined $28,000 in prize money on the line. You can keep up dated on the Triple Crown series at http://brickstreetbbq.com/triplecrown (http://brickstreetbbq.com/triplecrown) . These are the rules for the series.

The Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series Rules

Approved 3/11/10

Overview:
The Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series is designed to promote barbecue in Ohio and encourage teams to actively compete in Ohio sanctioned KCBS competitions and to reward the best overall scoring team from three competitions.

The Triple Crown qualifiers in Ohio are;

Brickstreet BBQ
Marietta, Ohio
June 11 &12

Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cook-Off
Kettering, Ohio
July 9 & 10

Ohio Smoked Meat & Barbecue Festival
Nelsonville, Ohio
October 15 &16

It is the intent of The Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series to provide a cash and or merchandise awards to The Triple Crown Champion. However, the cash and merchandise totals are subject to sponsor participation. As such, they are not totally predictable until late in the season. Therefore, the award totals and distribution may be changed at any time prior to the final contest date but will be finalized 30 days prior to the final contest.

Qualifying:
The Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series consists of the three KCBS Sanctioned Contests in Ohio. These contests are considered to be Qualifiers and the accumulated overall points won at these contests will be used to select the Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series Champion.

The head cook of each cook team must be a KCBS member.

A team must cook at all three contests to be considered for the Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series Champion.

In the event of a tie, the accumulated brisket category points won at these contests will be used to select the Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series Champion. If a tie still occurs the accumulated ribs category points, then the pork category points, and chicken category points will be used until a point’s advantage is determined for the Ohio BBQ Triple Crown Series Champion.

roksmith
03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
The Triple Crown just picked up it's first sponsor.

Special thanks to Patter Fam Sauces.

In addition to a custom trophy, the prize pool now consists of $500 cash and a selection of Patter Fam sauces.

Now we have something to cook for other than bragging rights!!

We will be working on adding to the prize pool up until 30 days prior to Nelsonville, so the package is likely to grow.

goodsmokebbq
03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Great to hear!

The Giggler
03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Great to hear!

Feel like a pioneer? :-D

Congrats to Ohio for establishing their Triple Crown, and another straightforward, state wide, KCBS points race! I see a trend here: NY, Colorado, now Ohio! Maybe with the explosive growth in PA, they might follow suit.

U2CANQUE
03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
It is good to see things picking up so fast out that way......(I know, 1 week in KS and I forget where my team is located)......I just hope that the assignment God's Smile big on me....so that I can do all 3

beardjp
06-09-2010, 10:01 PM
The Triple Crown trophy is ready. A custom etched crystal mounted on a hickory base. It also has an interior light to light the crystal. Great job Dave!!

Remember the first leg of the Ohio Triple Crown Series is this weekend 6/11 & 12 in Marietta, Ohio. The trophy will be on display in Marietta also. Come on down!!!

U2CANQUE
06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
and so it begins....best of luck all!~

Divemaster
06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Very cool concept (and trophy)!!!!

sfisch
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Dang nice trophy, think our TOY is getting a empty beer can nailed to a piece of hickory. :)

Scott

Bbq Bubba
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Wish you didn't have to do all 3. I think we could make Marietta.