PDA

View Full Version : IBCA Question

Smitty250
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Brethren - I have a question for you all. In IBCA Competitions is it "legal" to cut the ends off of your brisket before turn-in. I included a picture of my last Brisket turn-in box to show you what I am talking about. This pic is from the HAVABBQ Comp last month (KCBS - I took 12th out of 71). I have heard you will get DQ'd for turning in Brisket like this in an IBCA Comp. - I have a comp coming up next weekend that is IBCA sanctioned.
Thanks for all of your help,

Smitty
Loot N' Booty BBQ

Dustaway
03-11-2010, 02:41 PM
NO you are not allowed to cut the ends of your brisket most people will trim the brisket to fit the box before they cook if you have pieces that are too long then you must wrap them around the ends inside the box. plus the only other item in the box is Texas Lettuce or foil same thing.

Good Luck

Smoke'n Ice
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
It is illegal to trim the ends of the brisket slices to fit in the box after cooking, all trimming (don't forget about the shrinkage during cooing) must be done prior to going on the smoker. If the slices don't fit, then bend the ends. My experience has been that the slices must be laid parallel to the hinge and faned out. It's not pretty but apperance is not a major factor in the scoring and is better that the DQ.

Also don't forget that Texas lettuce is the only garnish allowed.

CajunSmoker
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
You also can only turn in slices (exact number to be announced at the cooks meeting. No burnt ends and the slices have to be of uniform size (1/4 to 3/8's inch) or you'll be sent back to redo the box. I got sent back to replace a slice once cause the head judge thought one slice was too thick.:rolleyes:

subzero
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Stupid question time... what is Texas Lettuce? :oops:

Smitty250
03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys - that's what I thought. I didn't see anything about it in the IBCA rules online. Is it OK to pre-trim your meats in IBCA like KCBS allows?

Smitty250
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Stupid question time... what is Texas Lettuce? :oops:

There are no stupid questions - believe me when I first started Q'ing I had plenty of questions and obviously still have more!! BTW - Texas lettuce is a term used for aluminum foil.

Dustaway
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys - that's what I thought. I didn't see anything about it in the IBCA rules online. Is it OK to pre-trim your meats in IBCA like KCBS allows?

yes you can

pahutchens
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Just curious at this point, how do you gauge how much to allow for shrinkage ?

subzero
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
There are no stupid questions - believe me when I first started Q'ing I had plenty of questions and obviously still have more!! BTW - Texas lettuce is a term used for aluminum foil.

Thanks Smitty. Appreciate it.

Dustaway
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Practice over time you will be able to judge how much to trim

Smoke'n Ice
03-11-2010, 05:58 PM

I usually trim to 1/2 inch greater that the box width. Depends on the brisket but this is my rule of thumb and at times it can be a bit tight.

Westexbbq
03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Great thread and as usual,
I learn something new every day!
Thanks.

swamprb
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I know I've asked this before, and never got any response, but does anyone have any links for sample IBCA turn in boxes? Or does anyone have a few of theirs they would like to share? Feel free to PM me if you want. My searches have been fruitless (and meatless!)

CajunSmoker
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I know I've asked this before, and never got any response, but does anyone have any links for sample IBCA turn in boxes? Or does anyone have a few of theirs they would like to share? Feel free to PM me if you want. My searches have been fruitless (and meatless!)

Go to post 86 in this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77890&page=6

No deviation on your presentation or your DQ'd. It's more about the meat than the appearance.

ps - and I thought Thillin's boxes looked good!!

Crash
03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
No Smitty, trim away...and make sure that there are only five slices.

Obviously....JK :-D

On a serious note, the front brisket pieces or burnt ends may not be allowed per IBCA rules. Ask Kelly, he'll steer your ship in the right direction.

See you in a week homeboy.

smoken don
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Seven slices.1/4 to 3/8" thick.No burnt ends,etc. Larger comps.may call for 9 slices.

thillin
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Here's a link from last year to my 3rd place brisket and 9th in ribs.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59205&highlight=3rd

chromesporty
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Don't forget this rule (pasted direct from IBCA website, I'm not shouting)

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

Funtimebbq
03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Smitty,

As a result of your question, I asked the same thing on the CBBQA forum (under IBCA/2009 rules). According to Lynn Shiver, who is the head judge, the brisket can be trimmed before cooking so the slices can fit in the box. However, trimming afterwards to fit the box is not allowed. It is ok to have the slices bend inside the box.

She also commented on prepping in advance but deferred to the contest organizer regarding meat inspection. If you need advice, contact her at "info(at)IBCA(dot)com

Benny

Crash
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't forget this rule (pasted direct from IBCA website, I'm not shouting)

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

This IBCA rule has been met with confusion in the past. I 100% understand how it reads and questioned it at a 2009 contest. We were given an alternate answer on applying sauce (while in the turn-in container) by an IBCA rep. Our team was told that it was OK to apply sauce once the meat was in the turn-in tray.

I sure as hell am not trying to start any controversy at all here...we know how these rule discussions easily spiral out of control.

I guess my point is that clarification from the IBCA rep is the best idea in this instance. Ask the Rep and they will always tell you what is legal and what is not.

Smitty250
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the info and pics everyone! Crash - I will see you next week.

Capn Kev
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Is there a penalty for turning in more than 7 pieces? Or, like KCBS can you add additional pieces to make your box "fuller" in appearance?

CajunSmoker
03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Is there a penalty for turning in more than 7 pieces? Or, like KCBS can you add additional pieces to make your box "fuller" in appearance?

You can only turn in the # of pieces that are required by the contest. Some contests with more teams require extra pieces of brisket and sometimes 2 half chickens, but that will be announced at the cooks meeting and you usually know it ahead of time so you can bring extra meat.

SmokinOkie
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Is there a penalty for turning in more than 7 pieces?

Yes there is, you can't and if they open it up and count, they'll tell you to take it out.

They usually inspect it and I've seen them VERY strict on the width of the slice. You can't cut it thinner or thicker, they want all of them to be uniform (pencil thick)

Now for some trivial. For those of you Pitmaster Fans, Lynn was the older female judge that Jamie and Myron didn't like in that last show. Lynn's husband was in the other group.

Crash
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes there is, you can't and if they open it up and count, they'll tell you to take it out.

They usually inspect it and I've seen them VERY strict on the width of the slice. You can't cut it thinner or thicker, they want all of them to be uniform (pencil thick)

At our first IBCA, they actually told us the slices were not the right width and made us go cut 7 new ones. I agree, they are VERY strict on that rule in particular.

Oh yeah, we've also been sent back because we had too much pork in our box and needed to remove some.

Alexa RnQ
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
And don't forget blotting your chicken's armpit!

Smitty250
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Another question about the "Texas Lettuce" AKA foil on the bottom of the tray. Are you allowed to fold the foil so it fits perfectly on the square bottom of the turn-in tray instead of coming up the sides of the tray?

chromesporty
03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Another question about the "Texas Lettuce" AKA foil on the bottom of the tray. Are you allowed to fold the foil so it fits perfectly on the square bottom of the turn-in tray instead of coming up the sides of the tray?

Nope. They'll show you in the cook's meeting how they want it presented.

On second thought, I'd follow Crash's advice and ask the IBCA rep. I've been cookin' IBCA for 4 years and get told at every cook's meeting sauce is not allowed once the meat is placed in the tray. Ya never know.

Crash
03-16-2010, 10:20 PM

We have always folded our foil, never had any problems. Maybe it's a regional thing.

ThomEmery
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
seen it done both ways

CajunSmoker
03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
i've seen several things in pics that wouldn't fly around here (like sauced brisket). When questioned I've been told it's "California rules"

ThomEmery
03-17-2010, 08:54 AM
i've seen several things in pics that wouldn't fly around here (like sauced brisket). When questioned I've been told it's "California rules"

:) We prefer to call it Western Pit Standard

Smitty250
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys!