PDA

View Full Version : sliced meat catering

Buster Dog BBQ
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I have someone come to me and asked about catering a party. They preferred sliced meat opposed to pulled or chopped.

That leaves brisket, ham, pork loin and what else?

I am trying to figure a price per head here on each one but don't know the yield of a ham ork pork loin.

If I had to guess brisket yields about 1/4 lb person and can serve maybe 20-25 from an average brisket one sandwich. Pork loin I can get maybe 40 sandwiches from and maybe the same with ham.

Am I somewhat close on that? Other suggestions for sliced meat?

Thanks.

lcbateman3
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Do whole ribeyes either as ribeye sandwich, or you can cook it along futher to make roast beef out of it. Little more expensive but pretty good eating. I did it at the last function we held at the church.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
You can slice pork butts,

WineMaster
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Turkey!!

early mornin' smokin'
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
yep, turkey, sliced boston butt, tri-tip, roast beef

Ford
03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
beef tenderloin if they have deep pockets. Great with horsey sauce on a good yeast roll. Prime rib, eye of the round. These are just in addition to the tri-tip siggestion.

Pork loin makes a great sammy or entree. A little rub and sauce. Or stuffed.

mgwerks
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Butts slice nicely at about 170-180.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Great ideas. Thanks guys. I totally spaced off the stuff like turkey.

landarc
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I see a lot of tri-tip sliced sandwiches out here, maybe the most popular item in CA. I think 1/4 lb per serving is reasonable as well. I happen to like sliced pork loin sandwiches as well.

Just Smokin' Around
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Great ideas. Thanks guys. I totally spaced off the stuff like turkey.

You can buy boneless turkey breast at Sam's ~ 5 pounds. Cook up nice and easy to slice. Don't do whole turkeys, too much hassle and waste.

PorkQPine
03-09-2010, 10:00 AM
If you have tri-tip where you are that is great grub. I carmelize onions w/brown sugar & mushrooms and serve that on the tri-tip on nice rolls and a little mayo.

Greendriver
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
try a big ol boneless beef shoulder clod (about 20 lbs ea). slices great and taste even better.

BigBellyBBQ
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
you have some good ideas from experienced cooks, watch your internal meat temps, top round I pull off at 122 to 128*, pork loin and turkey breast pull out at 160* boston butts for slicing remove at 185* but let all rest for several hours before slicing..make em nice and thin!

jbrink01
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Don't overlook eye of round. Sliced thin, red onion, horsey sauce and bread / butter chips.

watertowerbbq
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I've cooked pork loins for out office a couple of times. I usually ask the secretary to pick up 2 pork loins, each at least 7 lbs each or a total of 14 lbs minimum. The first time she bought them, it was almost exactly 14 lbs of raw meat.

We have 40 people in the office and I can get 40 slices out of each loin, but I can't tell you how much the sandwich weighed. I can tell you that 2 slices made a nice sandwich.

barbefunkoramaque
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I must insist

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75234&highlight=stripper

Thin this though

I didn't want to dirty my pit in the winter so I smoked these in the pit in pans. I would do it on a rack. They lost next to no juice. You will have the best thin beef.

Prairie Smoke
03-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Whole top sirloin. I do a lot of these at wedding buffet carving stations. They're cheap (~$3-$5/lb), yield is pretty good (about 80% after trimming, with little moisture loss during cooking), and the flavour is very nice. Best of all - they're very juicy and they're really tender. The perfect carved beef.
Really, they're only a bit less tender than prime rib, at half the cost.
The other nice thing is that there is a muscle on it - culotte I think. It's similar to Tri Tip in size and grain structure. But after the whole sirloin is cooked, this muscle carves off nicely and tends to be a little more well done than the rest of the roast. So if I'm cooking the whole sirloin to 125, and someone wants it more well done, I just slice them a piece off this muscle, which is lying on the side of my cutting board.