PDA

View Full Version : Point of sale systems

tmcmaster
03-08-2010, 03:21 AM
What PoS systems do you use? Anyone tried one of the mobile apps from say, Blackberry Apps World?

Bbq Bubba
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Cash. :)

HHpepper
03-14-2010, 12:01 AM
We use Restaurant pro express with good results. Its a little complicated to set up but once its done it works top notch.

lazybonesmoke1
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
System 3 POS..It is good if you do alot of carry-out and deliveries.

slowerlowerbbq
03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Tim, PM sent about POS systems.

Gowan
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the KISS system for the small operator.

I've considerable knowledge of the POS market via my IT job and have experience from the operator side as well through our two restaurants. In my opinion, if you aren't big enough to invest $20 grand in a POS system you should stick with order pads and a cash register. All the good gear is going to cost you that or more for a Micros/IBM/NCR type setup, and more to service and maintain it.The cheap software-and-some-PC-accessory solutions will drive you crazy with downtime, glitches and support nightmares.

If you're the PC hobbyist type who likes to noodle around with computers then knock yourself out, but remember that when you're not focusing on your core business (food) you are losing money, and when you have no way to take customer's payments because the POS lived up to it's acronym you are really shafted. Unless you've got money to burn and you're serving hundreds of sit-down diners a night I'd stick with a simple, reliable, old school setup. It won't pump out those slick reports with all sorts of metrics for MBAs to cluck over, but you'll just keep ringing that register bell and making money instead of constantly training employees and paying equipment bills.

tmcmaster
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM
I've actually been in IT since the mid 90's, so I am not too afraid of a PoS system, I was looking into the QuickBooks app that just runs off of a laptop with WiFi and card scanner. Simple, easy and portable... But all good ideas so far.

Thanks!

HHpepper
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
The only glitch we ever had was the hard drive took a crap at 12:04pm, right in the middle of lunch with a line of people. They came right out and replaced the drive and we were back running that afternoon. We did lose some credit card transactions but that was it. We were completely unprepared to go back to tickets.