PDA

View Full Version : Northern California Bound...

JD McGee
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey NorCal Brethren...my wife and I will be spending a week in Sonoma doing some serious wine tasting, eating, hiking, and general R&R...if anyone wants to get together for a cold one give me a yell...we're flying in on April 24th and buggin' out on May 1st...:cool:

Rhana found this BBQ joint in Sonoma we're gonna check out...anyone been here? Buster's Southern BBQ (http://www.busterssouthernbbq.com/index.html)

BBQ Grail
03-04-2010, 11:05 PM
If you want to get together for dinner on the 28th at Buster's I can probably arrange my schedule to come over that day.

Let me know...

yelonutz
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
JD, Napa-Sonoma is central Ca. If you get to Nor. Cal. (as in Chico) I would be more than happy to take you to Sierra Nevada and buy you and yours a beer. We refer to it as the Mothership!

NUTZ

big brother smoke
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
We Southerners are more hospitable:tongue:

BBQ Grail
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Napa/Sonoma isn't in Central Valley. You live in Upper Northern California. If I can make the drive from Sacramento you can make the drive from Chico, it's only 84 more miles.

Chuckwagonbbqco
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
JD make "Judd's Hill" winery in Napa one of your stops. Ask for Pat Burke at the winery---he is bbqing with "Vineyard Roasters" Pat Burke can give you the lowdown on wine country BBQ.

Beerwolf
03-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Busters is hands down the best BBQ deal in Sonoma County. For gods sake, stay away from the main drag in Calistoga.. it will cost you dearly. Id hit Tex Wasabi's / Johnny garlics just so you can get hte T shirt. Check out the Silverdo trail brewery for sure. Are you planning on getting more towards the 101 side?

Brian in So Cal
03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
we southerners are more hospitable:tongue:

:-d:-d

JD McGee
03-05-2010, 08:43 PM
We Southerners are more hospitable:tongue:

Sounds like a challenge to me...:twisted:

JD make "Judd's Hill" winery in Napa one of your stops. Ask for Pat Burke at the winery---he is bbqing with "Vineyard Roasters" Pat Burke can give you the lowdown on wine country BBQ.

Will do...:-P

Busters is hands down the best BBQ deal in Sonoma County. For gods sake, stay away from the main drag in Calistoga.. it will cost you dearly. Id hit Tex Wasabi's / Johnny garlics just so you can get hte T shirt. Check out the Silverdo trail brewery for sure. Are you planning on getting more towards the 101 side?

Yep...we know all about the "main drag"...we avoid it like the plague. We lived in Alameda for a while when I was in the Navy...we prefer Sonoma and the Silverado Trail. We do plan on hiking the redwoods and bummin' around Pt. Reyes...:cool:

JD McGee
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
If you want to get together for dinner on the 28th at Buster's I can probably arrange my schedule to come over that day.

Let me know...

Sounds like a plan Larry...:biggrin: I'll PM you my cell #...

Chuckwagonbbqco
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Hijack---JD tell me 'bout Navy time in Alameda

Leonard Sanders Chuck Wagon BBQ Co
USS Ponce LPD 15
USS Trenton LPD 14
and best of all USS Harold Glenn Epperson DD719

JD McGee
03-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Hijack---JD tell me 'bout Navy time in Alameda

Leonard Sanders Chuck Wagon BBQ Co
USS Ponce LPD 15
USS Trenton LPD 14
and best of all USS Harold Glenn Epperson DD719

Hey Shipmate...Alameda was a pretty cool town...just across the bay from San Francisco...no lack of bars, night clubs, or women...:twisted: As a matter of fact it's where I met my wife of 20 years now...:-P I was stationed on the USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 while there...my other ships include...

USS Lexington AVT 16 (first)
USS Morton DD 948 (best)
USS Brewton FF 1086 (2nd best)
USS San Jacinto CG 56 (worst)
USS Emory S. Land AS 39 (ok)

Chuckwagonbbqco
03-07-2010, 12:34 AM
My Gawd---another "Tin Can Sailor"

I am missing a chromosone that made me stoke boilers in the Navy and graduate to stoking stickburners after the Navy.

Please don't tell me that you are a snipe. Another snipe---Harry Stewart is pumping out BBQ daily in Alameda at "Great American BBQ" on High Street

JD McGee
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
My Gawd---another "Tin Can Sailor"

I am missing a chromosone that made me stoke boilers in the Navy and graduate to stoking stickburners after the Navy.

Please don't tell me that you are a snipe. Another snipe---Harry Stewart is pumping out BBQ daily in Alameda at "Great American BBQ" on High Street

Yup...20 year "snipe" here..."MR"...I'm very familiar with "BT's"...:cool: I'll have to swing by G.A.B. and say hello to Harry...we'll be in that area as well...(I think). :-P

Chuckwagonbbqco
03-09-2010, 12:50 AM
If you get to stop by Great American BBQ tell Harry hello---Harry was an MR in the Navy also.

You are going to be here right in the center of Seals birthing season---it is awesome--you must bring binoculars to watch the seals on the rocks giving birth. It is an awesome sight. Pt Reyes would be exciting.

drbbq
03-09-2010, 03:03 AM
The Seghesio Family Vineyards in Healdsburg have a big Klose pit and a huge Jedmaster and Pete cooks on an Egg at Home so you may find some pretty good BBQ there. Great wine and nice folks even if the smokers are cold.

landarc
03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey JD, keep me in the loop, I am up for a trip to Sonoma all the time. I can make it to Busters and depending on where you're lodging, I might be able to give you some other places to see. Also, let me know what kind of wines you are interested in, I might know of some good places to visit.

landarc
03-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Lemme just add here, I can throw in a visit and a brew at the Russian River Brewing Pub in Santa Rosa if you get that far south. Amazing stuff.

JD McGee
03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
If you get to stop by Great American BBQ tell Harry hello---Harry was an MR in the Navy also.

You are going to be here right in the center of Seals birthing season---it is awesome--you must bring binoculars to watch the seals on the rocks giving birth. It is an awesome sight. Pt Reyes would be exciting.

Cool...small world man! :cool: The seals sound like a great sight...we'll plan on it.

The Seghesio Family Vineyards in Healdsburg have a big Klose pit and a huge Jedmaster and Pete cooks on an Egg at Home so you may find some pretty good BBQ there. Great wine and nice folks even if the smokers are cold.

Thanks Ray... we are very familiar with Seghesio...it was one of our favorites when we lived there...great zins...:biggrin:

Hey JD, keep me in the loop, I am up for a trip to Sonoma all the time. I can make it to Busters and depending on where you're lodging, I might be able to give you some other places to see. Also, let me know what kind of wines you are interested in, I might know of some good places to visit.

Will do man...we're staying here (http://www.foothillhouse.com/)...:cool:

landarc
03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
JD, do you have an itinerary or preferences for the wineries you are planning on visiting? I am pretty familiar with the Napa and Sonoma winery scene if you would like some winery recommendations I would be glad to give recommendations.

If you are looking for some good food, Martini House is outstanding, Market is great comfort food, Cook St Helena is the gem of St Helena, lots of the local winemakers prefer it. Woodhouse Chocolates in St. Helena is outstanding couverture. Model Bakery has the best coffee and baking in the Valley. This is all in St. Helena.

Palisades Market in Calistoga has excellent sandwiches and desserts. They used to have great potato chips made in house, if you see a bag, grab one.

JD McGee
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
JD, do you have an itinerary or preferences for the wineries you are planning on visiting? I am pretty familiar with the Napa and Sonoma winery scene if you would like some winery recommendations I would be glad to give recommendations.

If you are looking for some good food, Martini House is outstanding, Market is great comfort food, Cook St Helena is the gem of St Helena, lots of the local winemakers prefer it. Woodhouse Chocolates in St. Helena is outstanding couverture. Model Bakery has the best coffee and baking in the Valley. This is all in St. Helena.

Palisades Market in Calistoga has excellent sandwiches and desserts. They used to have great potato chips made in house, if you see a bag, grab one.

We really do not have a set itenerary...we have a few favorites that we want to re-visit and a couple of new places to check out. I pretty much leave all of that stuff up to my wife...:lol::lol::lol: One place she is curious about it Graeser Winery in Calistoga...she has been all over Trip Adviser on this one...:roll: Thanks for the tips...we're always open for suggestions on good local foodie joints. :-P

landarc
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Sadly my favorite foodie places are no where near Calistoga, lately I am addicted to the Oxbow Marketplace, where you find the Fatted Calf (amazing pork stuff, incredible intense sandwiches), Ritual Coffee (interesting beans perfect espresso pulls) oh, and Kara's Cupcakes (ridiculously expensive but oh so good cupcakes).

landarc
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Diamond Terrace Winery is a recent discovery for me and is excellent. Frank Family Vineyards is also a great winery. I also like the tastings at the Napa Valley Wine Company, a custom crush facility across the side street from Oakville Grocery, which I assume you know of.

If you have time, swing over the ridge to Healdsburg and grab a ridiculously pricey meal at Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen, the Downtown Bakery is exceptional as an example of a old style bakery done right. Cyrus is stunning, but, they won't let me in there, I wreak of not rich enough.

JD McGee
03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Diamond Terrace Winery is a recent discovery for me and is excellent. Frank Family Vineyards is also a great winery. I also like the tastings at the Napa Valley Wine Company, a custom crush facility across the side street from Oakville Grocery, which I assume you know of.

If you have time, swing over the ridge to Healdsburg and grab a ridiculously pricey meal at Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen, the Downtown Bakery is exceptional as an example of a old style bakery done right. Cyrus is stunning, but, they won't let me in there, I wreak of not rich enough.

:lol::lol::lol:...we resemble that remark...we also avoid those places like the plague...:cool:

Beerwolf
03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
IF you are going as far as Healdsburg... dont forget Bear Republic Brewery... awesome garlic fries. John and Zekes, just across from Dead Creek Kitchen has the best bloody marys around as well. On the way is the Chartuecerie ( SP) which does some real neat things with ... Pork.

landarc
03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
A buddy and I were up in Napa scouting out for a little wine project he has going on (read, wine negociant here) and he needed some coffee, we ended up at the Oxbow, my leg injuries were bothering me no end, so he got out to find coffee, returned to empty car. I just could not resist hobbling over to the Fatted Calf, I love charcuterie and there is some good work being done with pork and duck in Napa and Sonoma counties these days. I mean, they will sell you a gallon of duck fat, teach you to butcher a hog or sell you lardo... Healdsburg Charcuterie and Bear Republic get my vote too.

JD McGee
04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Bump...gettin' closer...just checkin' in to see if there are any more Brethren out there in Nor-Cal that want to do a meat-n-greet at Buster's (http://www.busterssouthernbbq.com/index.html)...pm me for my cell and B&B info...:cool:

BBQ Grail
04-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm planning to make the drive up...

JD McGee
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Lookin' like Buster's for a meat-n-greet on the 28th...sound like a plan? We shootin' for lunch or dinner? :cool:

BBQ Grail
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Lookin' like Buster's for a meat-n-greet on the 28th...sound like a plan? We shootin' for lunch or dinner? :cool:

I'm taking the day off. What's best for the vacationers?

EDIT: On second thought I think lunch would be better. I'm supposed to have lunch with Landarc in Napa that day, but I'll see if I can reschedule or see if he can come to.

JD McGee
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm taking the day off. What's best for the vacationers?

EDIT: On second thought I think lunch would be better. I'm supposed to have lunch with Landarc in Napa that day, but I'll see if I can reschedule or see if he can come to.

We can also do lunch in Napa...if landarc is up for it...we can hit Busters another day...we're easy...:cool:

SmokeJumper
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I live in San Francisco and end up in Sonoma/Napa five or six times a year. I can give you a million recommendations across restaurants, roadside stands, wineries, cheesemakers, art galleries, and B&Bs if you want them. In St.Helena our favorite "hidden" gem for eating is Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen. Our favorite Sonoma winery of which we are members is Ironhorse which has over a dozen varietals and killer chardonnays, pinots, and sparkling wines. It is very scenic and they are very generous with the pouring if you buy something. Nearby in Graton there are a pair of restaurants run by the same owners, Willowwood and Underwood that feature local food, local wine, and often decent grill/BBQ. Don't miss 'em! Feel free to PM with specific questions.

JD McGee
04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the tips SmokeJumper...I'll pass them along to my activities coordinator...aka...my wife. :becky: