PDA

View Full Version : Just a Brag on Lunch at Rudy's

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok, I know I talked about this yesterday on another thread but I had to start a new thread on how good this place is! Just to paint the picture (since I didn't take any), this place is like large old country store. Wooden picnic tables, about 8 cash registers, large cuttin board with about 8 cutters at one time goin at it on bit slabs of meat...all stick smoke.

Anyway, I went over for lunch (the 290/Beltway 8 location for those of you familiar with the area) and had a 1/4 lb of "Cutters Choice" Brisket and 1/2 lb of the Pork Ribs. Toss in a bag of chips, Dr. Pepper, 3 slices of bread, pickles, onions, Rudy's BBQ "Sause"...all for under $18.

Oh yea, and I picked up some of the Rudy's famous rub! Getchya some... :lol:

Sooner21
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Ok, I know I talked about this yesterday on another thread but I had to start a new thread on how good this place is! Just to paint the picture (since I didn't take any), this place is like large old country store. Wooden picnic tables, about 8 cash registers, large cuttin board with about 8 cutters at one time goin at it on bit slabs of meat...all stick smoke.

Anyway, I went over for lunch (the 290/Beltway 8 location for those of you familiar with the area) and had a 1/4 lb of "Cutters Choice" Brisket and 1/2 lb of the Pork Ribs. Toss in a bag of chips, Dr. Pepper, 3 slices of bread, pickles, onions, Rudy's BBQ "Sause"...all for under $18.

Oh yea, and I picked up some of the Rudy's famous rub! Getchya some... :lol:

Rudy's is farkin disgusting

J_Don
03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
God I miss TEXAS. Never ate at Rudy's but there were a lot of other fine BBQ restaurants that had the same atmosphere. Sometimes I think it is just that and the smell of wood that makes it sooo good. The one that really comes to mind was Otto's on Memorial Dr. almost downtown. Had the hottest jappys I have ever put in my mouth.

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Congratulations.....You are THAT GUY. :icon_sleepy

h20loo
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I do Texas at least twice a year on business but my wife sez its for the Q. First time was Goodes but I haven't gone back.
Love the small town stuff like Holy Smoke, the Salt Lick and really enjoy The Green Mesquite.... so many places, so little time. Did i mention Shiner?
When we get to Lockhart my wife goes to Smitties and I go to Blacks. So many more...

thillin
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM

A lot of people will dissagree. I've eaten at three of them and all three were above par Q especially for a chain.

Jorge
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

I35 runs both ways:mrgreen:

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I do Texas at least twice a year on business but my wife sez its for the Q. First time was Goodes but I haven't gone back.
Love the small town stuff like Holy Smoke, the Salt Lick and really enjoy The Green Mesquite.... so many places, so little time. Did i mention Shiner?
When we get to Lockhart my wife goes to Smitties and I go to Blacks. So many more...

Sounds like you know your Texas BBQ. Yea, Goode Company used to be quite good...the original over on Kirby. However, it seems like once they started expanding, it went downhill. I'll probably never eat there again, too expensive and not quality.

I will say that if you enjoy artifacts, it's a nice museum.

J_Don
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
So does I-10 and I-45. LOL

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM

hehe..and downhill from Dallas.. :lol:

Smokey Al Gold
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Eh Rudy's is not too bad I've had way worse :-D like Bill Miller's.

snoqualmiesmoker
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM

I agree. The original is supposed to be great. The chain it has become is nasty.

snoqualmiesmoker
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Congratulations.....You are THAT GUY. :icon_sleepy

YAAAAY, Then i'm "that guy" too!!

Diva Q
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Rudy's isn't that bad I don't think. Plus I really liked their turkey and their nana pudding seriously was awesome. While they are trying to capture that feeling of down home comfort in the chains it is so antiseptic and clean it feels like a Doctors office. Not saying thats a bad thing just an observation.

drbbq
03-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree. The original is supposed to be great. The chain it has become is nasty.

I ate at one in Austin last week and it was really good. I've eaten at both Albuquerque locations and liked them as well. Might just be me that doesn't know any better though.

Chef Jim
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Can you believe I lived in Austin for three years and never went to the Salt Lick? Is that dumb or what? But my wife found a place in Elgin on the wrong side of the tracks. Sort of a small anex on the side of an abandoned wherehouse. The big improvement was a sneeze guard. Paper plates, help yourself to white bread. To die for "Q" Oh yeah, BEEF RIBS!

Went back a few years ago, he moved, sold out to a bigger guy that wanted a restaurant. So much for a good thing.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I ate at one in Austin last week and it was really good. I've eaten at both Albuquerque locations and liked them as well. Might just be me that doesn't know any better though.

I liked the one on Coors Ave. in Albuquerque too.

I am sure that some locations are better than others and the food varies at each location depending on the time of day. Just like most other BBQ joints.

Arlin_MacRae
03-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Where's that one you Texas farkers always make me drive to to have lunch with you? It's pretty good! I think we have one up here now, but haven't been yet.

Kevin Garceau
03-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Rudys in San Antonio is the place that turned me on to BBQ. I honestly never had real Q until then. My brother/wife/family are in the Air Force full time. When I got off the plane thats the first place they took us. My wife LOVED, I mean to die for LOVED the cream corn. I loved everything.

I have been back since and have bought the sauce and rub once I started doing my own. They are coming up in May and Im having them bring me a load of mesquite and some rub/sauce.

They get Bill Millers quite a bit as its much closer to their house. I didnt care for it as much as Rudys. But what I had then was take out so it might have lost something in the drive.

Again - if it wasnt for Rudys. I wouldnt be interested in Q.

Kevin Garceau
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I should add, I brought Rudys sauce in to work here. One of the familys here travels and does some comps but mostly cooked for picnics etc with their smoker. They really liked the sauce on the pork. I like it better on the pork than the beef myself. They make all their own sauces and liked this as well.

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Rudys in San Antonio is the place that turned me on to BBQ. I honestly never had real Q until then. My brother/wife/family are in the Air Force full time. When I got off the plane thats the first place they took us. My wife LOVED, I mean to die for LOVED the cream corn. I loved everything.

I have been back since and have bought the sauce and rub once I started doing my own. They are coming up in May and Im having them bring me a load of mesquite and some rub/sauce.

They get Bill Millers quite a bit as its much closer to their house. I didnt care for it as much as Rudys. But what I had then was take out so it might have lost something in the drive.

Again - if it wasnt for Rudys. I wouldnt be interested in Q.

I read the bit about the cream corn and had to laugh. I bought a pint at lunch today to take home to my pregnant wife. :lol:

thillin
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Where's that one you Texas farkers always make me drive to to have lunch with you? It's pretty good! I think we have one up here now, but haven't been yet.

Denton. You know you like coming to see us!

thomasjurisd
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Denton. You know you like coming to see us!

That's where I was born. The Home of Happiness. and....Rocky Horror Picture Show.

auxierr@bellsouth.net
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
It has been a few years ago but I have been to the Rudy's North of San Antonio in Leon Springs several times and have had some great BBQ. I like the old store look.

drbbq
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
My wife LOVED, I mean to die for LOVED the cream corn.

I really liked the creamed corn too so I tried to replicate it for one of my books. After eating it again last week at Rudy's I think thier's is sweeter but mine's pretty good. We used to serve this at Southern Hospitality.

Dr. BBQ’s Sweet Cream Corn

I had some really great creamed corn at a barbecue joint in Albuquerque, so I decided to make my own version. I think it’s a great barbecue side dish.

1/2 stick butter
2 pounds frozen kernel corn
1 3-ounce block cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large saucepan over low heat, add the butter and then the corn. Add the cream cheese on top and cover. Stir occasionally until the corn is defrosted and the cream cheese begins to melt. Add the whipping cream, sugar, salt and pepper and continue cooking, raising the heat to medium and stirring occasionally. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings.

drbbq
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
It has been a few years ago but I have been to the Rudy's North of San Antonio in Leon Springs several times and have had some great BBQ. I like the old store look.

I believe that's the original.

Jorge
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I believe that's the original.

It is. That location has been flooded out too many times to count.

I've eaten at other locations and it's been hit and miss. I have had some really good stuff, and some stuff that shouldn't have been served. With the volume they do, it's bound to happen.

I'll say something else for them. They have great customer service. The last time I picked up a bad rack of ribs (company owned store but not Leon Springs), I had a call from the manager within a couple of hours. I told him what the issue was, he was knowledgeable about their process, and offered to make it right as well as apologizing for the below average experience. That says a lot to me. He earned his location another opportunity to retain my business.

Spydermike72
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM

I ate at one in Albuquerque and I liked it. I really like their sause(that is how they spell it)...

Garyclaw
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM
In chains, alot depends on the manager on duty at the time. When the cooks and managers are in sinc it can be a great place. But if the manager is lax and trying to be everybodys friend at work, well sometimes things go wrong. Just my .02.

WineMaster
03-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the recipie Doc!

Dan

Smokey Al Gold
03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
When they had concerts at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre we always stopped at the Rudy's right by that exit before the show. I like their spares, sausage and the sauce is pretty good. But like everything it is hit and miss sometimes. Too bad I don't think there's concerts there anymore so I'll try another location.

BobBrisket
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Wow, surprised. The Rudy's here is quite decent. Brisket is pretty dang good, tender, nice SR. Great service. Gotta love the big ole troughs full of BEER too. One time I two I had brisket that was a little dry, but not terrible.
Course we only have less than a handful of places that do it right.
I was crushed when "Chris' the Brisket", (actual name) closed down. That place was tops here for a long time. Walls were gray from the smoke. Used pecan and the combo plate was fit for a king. Now it's Smokey's and Smitty's. Even further back was Bill Parks(RIP), best dang Q and soul food for MILES!
Not a fan of Dave's or Dickey's, so overall Rudy's is a pretty good place for a chain variety.
Just my .02.

big brother smoke
03-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I found Rudy's to be on par whilst in Austin last spring. If you are looking for deep layers of flavors you ain't getting it beyond S&P (YMMV). Farking cream corn was orgasmic, and I found the turkey their best of all (smoked meats).

ZILLA
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I have had good meals at five different Rudy's locations. The worst that I ran into was a slightly under done rib at a company store in Selma, at which point the GM brought me more, and some brisket cut with the grain in the New Braunfels franchise store, of which I informed the owner. Rudy's is not nasty nor is it disgusting. I'm usually very happy to eat there. It's certainly better than Coopers in New Braunfels...Salty as all get out three times in a row! Yer OUT!

If you want to talk Bill Millers that is another thread. I will say this much, Bill Millers BBQ is a commercial BBQ marvel in my opinion. Until folks realize how the operation works they should really not condem it. The food is fresh, well made and inexpensive and the consistancy from store to store is remarkable. Is it world class BBQ? No, of course not and it doesn't claim to be either. Does it blow away every other fast food joint and convenience eatery in the city? Hands down YES! I can always find something I want and like at a Bill Millers and for under $8.00. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Jorge
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
If you want to talk Bill Millers that is another thread. I will say this much, Bill Millers BBQ is a commercial BBQ marvel in my opinion. Until folks realize how the operation works they should really not condem it. The food is fresh, well made and inexpensive and the consistancy from store to store is remarkable. Is it world class BBQ? No, of course not and it doesn't claim to be either. Does it blow away every other fast food joint and convenience eatery in the city? Hands down YES! I can always find something I want and like at a Bill Millers and for under $8.00. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Mmmmmm, #2 at Whataburger...but your point is well taken. I stick to the fried chicken, or the bag of chopped beef. Sides aren't the best, but they are decent. They just let me down when they switched to instant tea and quiet brewing it. Bill Miller was always about the tea for me.

ZILLA
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree the Tea used to be really great!

smoken don
03-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I've had good food at several Rudy's.Bad at a couple of others.Above average to me,but we all can do better at home.Creamed corn,great.Nana puddin,great,smoked turkey,the best I have had.All chains are hit and miss in my opinion.:smile:
Also,thanks for the recipe Doc.Will give it a try soon.

Chef Jim
03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the recipie Doc!

Dan

Me too Dr.

1_T_Scot
03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I've been to Rudy's in Laredo on 2 occasions it was good both times. Brisket and Sausage.

jgh1204
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Nice to see Jorge is channeling his inner Aggie.:razz:

My 2 cents is pretty much on par with the group. Rudy's is good chain bbq but you can get some bad stuff from time to time.

I have eaten at the Original location twice and really cannot say it is better than the other company stores or the franchises.

Their spares are usually undercooked and a bit tough. I would stay AWAY from their chopped bbq as it is leftovers and can be quite greasy.

I love both of their sauces but prefer the original. In sauce trades, I sent the sissy sauce since yankees think the original is too peppery. BTW, you can tell if you are at a Rudy's company store vs a franchise by the milder sauce. At a company store, it is called, Doc's No So Hot sauce and they only sell the small bottles and at franchise stores, it is called Sissy Sauce and it is sold in the small and large bottles.

Miller's tea is instant now? Tastes like brewed to me and it is clear not cloudy which is usually the hallmark of instant tea. Their sliced beef is ok but prefer their fried chicken as well. I also like their pickled onions. If I want bbq, I work only 10 minutes from Bolners They are doing Akaushi brisket now and they charge the same price as their regular brisket.

I have had some decent bbq at Southside BBQ on S. Flores.