PDA

View Full Version : Spuds In the Smoker

southernsmoker
03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey guys, quick question...anyone do baked potatoes in the smoker? Would you foil each one or maybe place them in a foil tray with a lid...would they be too smokey without???:!:

Great forum btw, well looked after..

Capn Kev
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
The amount of smoke flavor depends upon the type of smoker you have, the wood you're using, and exposure.

I've done mac' 'n' cheese, pizza, baked beans, twice-baked potatoes, etc. all on my smoker. For those items, I'm cooking at a higher temps, which decreases the length of smoke exposure, ...so I don't "over-smoke" the food.

If in doubt...foil the food to block the smoke...you'll still get the heat.

southernsmoker
03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
The smoker is a Lang 84D. Tks

Ashmont
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
The smoker is a Lang 84D. Tks

Look at doing bacon wrapped spuds... There are a couple of recent threads. Man they are good... No wrap

Capn Kev
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I use a pellet burner, so I have a hard time over-smoking food.

I think with your Lang, that as long as you're burning down the fire to the point where it's burning clean smoke, I think you'll be okay. Also, try some lighter flavored woods like oak.

I suggest doing a test run or two.

tmcmaster
03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Last time I did spuds, I let them go in naked for the first hour or so, then covered them with a foil pan for the final 2. Came out great. Lightly smoked and the skins just pulled away from the meat... No butter needed, IMHO.

C Rocke
03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
We do em wrapped with some olive oil and garlic.

smoke it if ya got it
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I do the same thing only put them in a bag for a couple hours to get all the Garlic flavor.

Torch
03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't think you could over smoked Baked!
Had huge success last summer smoking whole Golden's with a much lighter skin.
2 hours in a stick burning rotisserie then sliced in a full pan, seasoned, and shredded cheese, and scallions, then back in for 20 minutes. WHOW

BigBellyBBQ
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I even made an injection using these,, talk about awesome! finnish outside the foil for some bark..

peppasawce
03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I just baked a couple Red Potatoes today man only thing I did was rub some EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil on mine, then placed them inside the Webber along with my big Turkey Breast....I baked them for 4 hours in aluminum foil....They came out awesome I might add...The answer to your question is a resounding Yes Southern Smoker, Go for it man you'll love them and everyone else will also!!! Peppa