View Full Version : Comp pork Butt

woodfolks
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Just looking at the rules for Comp
Pork butt.

Most people are doing 2 pork butts
Do they have to be at least 5 lbs?

Do you slice them for presentation
or do you do pulled pork, Or one of each.

Most people are saying they cook
them with the Brisket, in the same cooker
how does that work on the timing
Brisket will take 10-12 Hrs
Do you just pull the pork when it is done
or do you put it on about the same time
I know it will take about 10 hrs for the Butt

woodfolks
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
would you put them on the lower rack
when cooking with a Brisket

watertowerbbq
02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
The butts have to be 5 lbs each in order to be legal.

You can put the butts on whenever you like and pull them off whenever you like. There is nothing that says butts and briskets have to go on and come off at the same time. It might be more advantageous if they don't because then you don't have to take care of each meat at the same time. A lot of people go by the "butts over brisket" philosophy, but to each their own. I do follow the butts over brisket myself.

I've read a lot of your posts recently and I would offer this suggestion, go and try and cook both butts and a brisket at the same time. Once you've done this a couple of times, the "timing" issue will kind of sort itself out. Then go on and practice ribs and chicken at the same time to get a feel for the timing of how those work together. Then finally, put it all together and have your first backyard trial run. I think a lot of things will become more clear at that time. Don't take the comment the wrong way, just trying to help. Good luck.

Capn Kev
02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree with Matt. Cook your butts and brisket in the same cooker...heck you can cook all 4 if you set it up right and have enough space.

Practice each meat so you can get a feel for it, and can master it. While doing so, keep an hourly log which includes internal meat temps, how the meat looked (moist/dry/color), how often you mopped/sprayed, pit temps, outside air temp, weather conditions (i.e., wind), and record your notes for each. Then determine, what you liked, disliked, what adjustments you made on the fly, the rubs you used, sauces, time to plate, etc. Also take photos of the end product.

Then, after you've figured your "groove" for each meat, and developed a really good schedule for each, combine all 4 meats into an hourly "plan" via a microsoft excel spreadsheet or similar format. Then you can add and subtract within that plan for each step that is involved in a cook. I color code each action (1 color for each meat category) on the spreadsheet, and have everything segmented into 15 minute intervals. I keep a "Comp Bible" as I like to call it...it has all of my notes, and most recent cook logs. I carry it to every competition. I also record how my entries place.

Following this process really helps me stay on track at comps...especially when the beer's flowing :wink:

Kevin

Solidkick
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
It depends on your cooker.......there should be on an average of 5*-7* difference in cooking temp per shelf. At least there is on mine. I want my briskets to cook slower, so I cook the butts above. I try to cook 6 1/2 to 7 lb butts and around 8 lb flats, with 1 average 10 lb packer for the burnt ends. I'll start all the meat together at the same time and wrap in towels and hold in a cooler if they get done quicker than expected, but I allow 12 hours for the process. This usually isn't a problem as I cook the ribs at a higher temp, and I usually have the big meats wrapped in foil by then.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-25-2010, 07:19 PM
I cook three - four pork butts, reason being we only use a small part of the butt, nit the money muscle. We slice, chunk, and pull. A lot of flavorful pulled.

chopshop
02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I cook three - four pork butts, reason being we only use a small part of the butt, nit the money muscle. We slice, chunk, and pull. A lot of flavorful pulled.
sshhhhhhhh!!!!!