PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge for this???????

grillfella
02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey boys and girls,got a call from a perspective client. she wants tri-tip sandwiches with all the fixings for 150 people at a park. I told her I would like to discuss this face to face and bring her a sample of my tri-tip and go over exactly what she wanted. She said ok and I am meeting with her next week. She stated to me that the IN N Out truck was charging $1500
( for you non so cal Brethren that is a hamburger place popular out here) Anyway that was out of her price range. What would you guys charge for this type of service to do on site? keep in mind no sides just sandwiches and possibly some leg qtrs just in case she asks..

Thanks Brothers I really appreciate the advice:-D

shifferem
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
To be honest I haven't done the catering thing - nor have I really tried to price anything out, she is suggesting that $10/person is too much. I am sure you can figure out the costs of the meat and fixins', the fuel and auto expenses and an other direct expenses and find a way to come in lower than the burger joint - but do not forget to consider how much your time is worth as well. If you are spending 10 hours prepping and 10 hours serving them - what is 20 hours of time worth to you? Once you know that add it to the cost of doing the job plus 10% for good measure. And do not forget the value of your hourly time needs to account for income taxes etc etc...

Just my ten cents

C Rocke
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Hey boys and girls,got a call from a perspective client. she wants tri-tip sandwiches with all the fixings for 150 people at a park. I told her I would like to discuss this face to face and bring her a sample of my tri-tip and go over exactly what she wanted. She said ok and I am meeting with her next week. She stated to me that the IN N Out truck was charging $1500
( for you non so cal Brethren that is a hamburger place popular out here) Anyway that was out of her price range. What would you guys charge for this type of service to do on site? keep in mind no sides just sandwiches and possibly some leg qtrs just in case she asks..

Thanks Brothers I really appreciate the advice:-D

My spidey sense says she wants more than just sandwiches, if she was looking at the InO truck...

Tri Tip sandwich and BBQ sauce is $6-7 all day on a 4 inch roll at any vending I do. 95lbs of raw tri tip to get to 63lbs of cooked product - Purchase price @ RD is 2.39/lb, about $228 cost, or about $3.60 per pound of finshed product allowing for waste and "shrink". Then add in charcoal, wood, rub, sauce, travel, and wear and tear - Plus bread/rolls, paper goods and napkins.

For a 6 oz sandwich, your true cost is probably in the $2.40 range, without labor (or your time). It would have to be worth grossing at least a $1k. Serving time @ 1.5 hours. My $.02

grillfella
02-24-2010, 11:41 PM
My spidey sense says she wants more than just sandwiches, if she was looking at the InO truck...

Tri Tip sandwich and BBQ sauce is $6-7 all day on a 4 inch roll at any vending I do. 95lbs of raw tri tip to get to 63lbs of cooked product - Purchase price @ RD is 2.39/lb, about $228 cost, or about $3.60 per pound of finshed product allowing for waste and "shrink". Then add in charcoal, wood, rub, sauce, travel, and wear and tear - Plus bread/rolls, paper goods and napkins.

For a 6 oz sandwich, your true cost is probably in the $2.40 range, without labor (or your time). It would have to be worth grossing at least a $1k. Serving time @ 1.5 hours. My $.02

Lots of calculations chris sounds about right to me:icon_cool

PorkQPine
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Before you go anywhere you need to know her price range. You could waste a lot of time to find out she wanted to do this for $5 a person. Any time someone says it is out of their price range you need to ask what their price range is. You may end up with her picking up the food and delivering it herself if what she wants to pay is too little, if you want to do the job that is.

TOPS BBQ
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Who's making the sandwiches, you or the customer?
Are you going to have someone help if you have to make the sandwich?
How far is this park from you?
Are you going slice and hold in chafer and make sandwich. How is everything going to keep warm?

6 oz sandwiches, Plate/bowl, napkin & condiments = $900 to just drop off buns and meat in tray, with serving bowls and napkins.

Cooking on site and making the sandwiches for them? Well that's your time and whatever you want to charge. I'm figuring at least an additional $200 - $300.

Good luck!

grillfella
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Who's making the sandwiches, you or the customer?
Are you going to have someone help if you have to make the sandwich?
How far is this park from you?
Are you going slice and hold in chafer and make sandwich. How is everything going to keep warm?

6 oz sandwiches, Plate/bowl, napkin & condiments = $900 to just drop off buns and meat in tray, with serving bowls and napkins.

Cooking on site and making the sandwiches for them? Well that's your time and whatever you want to charge. I'm figuring at least an additional $200 - $300.

Good luck!
I was gonna do it on site she never called me back her loss, I quoted her $900.00

lazybonesmoke1
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
That's a good price ($6) just for sammiches.