PDA

View Full Version : what would you charge?

Gerrit_Boys
02-21-2010, 06:45 AM
I told a buddy I was running the cooker for today and he asked if I could cook him up some ribs while it was going. I'm that kind of guy so I said sure. He shows up with the ribs and 2 butts for his girlfriends parents. I told him I can't be doing this kind of thing for free so how much would you charge the girlfriends parents? I don't want to jab them but I also don't want to be exploited either. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!

HBMTN
02-21-2010, 07:05 AM
If they supplied the butts I would get $20-$25 per butt at least.

Ford
02-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't cook food for people unless I buy the meat myself. Even if I trust a friend. I might cook the ribs for free and just give him the bill for the meat but that's it. Too much chnace of mishandling the meat otherwise. Adding a fee for cooking makes you legally responsible.

jbrink01
02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
What Ford said!

Bbq Bubba
02-21-2010, 09:12 AM
How much did you charge for the ribs?

Gerrit_Boys
02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I told him I would do the spares for free as it works out for a timing practice run. I don't have a problem with that as I kinda keep the neighbors well fed with other practice food and I buy that meat. The problem is friends of friends and so on. It's probably time to draw the line in the snow and make it clear that to everybody that rub, foil, pans, etc. not to mention time and expertise aren't free.

chopshop
02-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Are you a caterer or just a guy cooking in his yard? if its your friend how could you charge him. I know he never mentioned the butts, but you do them anyway and tell him never again. as far as being legally responsible, if you are a caterer or vendor, yeah maybe you would be responsible. if your just cooking in your yard who cares where the meat has been. every time i have a family bbq people bring food just because they mishandled the food and served it at my house doesnt mean my business is legally responsible. If they did try to do something i suggest finding new friends

Jacked UP BBQ
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Free its your friend???????????????? Right?

SQWIB
02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I told a buddy I was running the cooker for today and he asked if I could cook him up some ribs while it was going. I'm that kind of guy so I said sure. He shows up with the ribs and 2 butts for his girlfriends parents. I told him I can't be doing this kind of thing for free so how much would you charge the girlfriends parents? I don't want to jab them but I also don't want to be exploited either. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!

Smoke the ribs as promised and give him the butts back.

Does he know how long Butts take?
If he is aware of the time involved he should have never brought you his butts
If he is not aware, I would let him know the time involved.

falldownbbq
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
smoke it all for him.. If he is a friend and your doing it for him then go all the way... IF your contemplating spending 20 dollars to make a friend happy then he is obviously not a good friend..

If i was running my smoker and a friend asked me if he could bring over food to cook, and showed up with 4 briskets, 4 butts, and 10 racks of ribs, if i had the room and the time, i wouldnt even question doing it for free...

Gerrit_Boys
02-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Just so you guys know, the butts are for the parents of his girlfriend, who I barely know. For my friends, its always free. When its friends of friends or parents of friends of friends I believe its getting too far away from the point. At any rate, I did it for nothing this time and let him know that when its for other people I need to cover time and expenses.

Dutchovendude
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I think that was the best call.