PDA

View Full Version : Comp Classes Instructors

motoeric
02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi,

If money was no object, who runs a comp cooking class that you would most like to attend?

If you have three people, please offer all three.

Thanks!

Eric

Lake Dogs
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
For a MIM/MBN skew: Myron Mixon of Jacks Old South

For a KCBS skew: either guys from Plowboys or guys from Ique

All 3 would be excellent. Not certain if guys from Ique do a cooking comp class...

Just Smokin' Around
02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
I would like to take Myron's (JOS) class. I like Mike Davis' (Lotta Bull) class. Also, the Johnny Trigg/Rod Gray (Old school - New School) if they are still together I hear is excellent.
Lots of new folks coming out with classes this year that I imagine will be good. Depends on if you are in their part of the country. Plowboy's and I Smell Smoke have classes in their local neck of the woods.

Kosmo's Q
02-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Donnie Teel (Been there)
Bart Clark
Johhny/Rod

armor
02-20-2010, 08:51 AM
I missed Mike Davis last summer because of work and he was within 30 miles of my home. Talked to him on phone and he told me if I get get to Myron's class to do so. I will be there in April.

TRS
02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Myron's class
Mike Davis's class
and I am lucky enough to be attending Rod Gray's class here in Tennessee at the end of April! Class is about 35 miles from me. Can't wait.

charlie263
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I contacted Myron Mixon about attending a class at Unadilla. It was $750.00 for one person. Is this too much, or is the knowledge gained worth the expenditure? Honestly, I would love to attend. He comes across as arrogant on the tv show, but I feel like that was just for tv. Oh, and his next class available is not til August. Lots of people interested. He was very nice in his return email.

monty3777
02-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I contacted Myron Mixon about attending a class at Unadilla. It was $750.00 for one person. Is this too much, or is the knowledge gained worth the expenditure? Honestly, I would love to attend. He comes across as arrogant on the tv show, but I feel like that was just for tv. Oh, and his next class available is not til August. Lots of people interested. He was very nice in his return email.

Keep in mind that Myron also includes instruction in whole hog - that's why I think his prices are reasonable. Though he used to give discounts for team members. I didn't pay $750. Then again he wasn't a rock start when I took his class:-D

MilitantSquatter
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM

Worth is all relative.. Probably everyone who took it found it worth it, or they wouldn't have spent the money. A lot of it depends on what you're current skill level is, track record in comps or if you just want to spend $ for a fun weekend about BBQ. If you start winning or winning more frequently using what you've learned, you can consider it a return on investment.

thillin
02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Johnny Trigg. Cause I would want info pertaining to IBCA.

topchefvt52
02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Johnny Trigg. Cause I would want info pertaining to IBCA.

IBCA is easy...cook it till it's done and then cook it s'more.:smile:

Rick Hamilton
02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Took Mike Davis's class and it was worth every penny. Would love to take Myrons to learn whole hog and would also like to take Rod's class for additional perspective.

Rich Parker
02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Scottie Johnson and Mike Wozniak

They do an awesome job teaching and the money is going to a great cause.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I want a HODEHO class, so I know what the fark he is cooking up here in the NE and kicking all of our arses!

chopshop
02-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I want a HODEHO class, so I know what the fark he is cooking up here in the NE and kicking all of our arses!

Were from NJ. how about we set up a class on how to get rid of HODEHO, this way there is no worries about what he's cooking:eek:

topchefvt52
02-22-2010, 08:20 AM

HODEHO? I live in Vermont and am planning to submit for the NEBS/Harpoon cook-ff this summer.

Cabntmkr1
02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Pork Pullin Plowboy class...

WannaBeBBQueen
02-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Were from NJ. how about we set up a class on how to get rid of HODEHO, this way there is no worries about what he's cooking:eek:
Nope...won't work he's just way too good of a guy, just sharpen up your skills and you'll be fine :biggrin:

HoDeDo
02-23-2010, 07:48 AM

That can be arranged if there is some interest. The classes I teach here are not comp oriented, but it could definitely be pointed in that general direction.
I'm sure I could add a day on either end of one of the trips!!!

I've got a guy.... (he's from Bayonne :twisted:)

HODEHO? I live in Vermont and am planning to submit for the NEBS/Harpoon cook-ff this summer.

Talk to me :-P

Sawdustguy
02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Myron Mixon just to learn whole hog and Rod Grey to learn how to cook with the FEC100.

ThomEmery
02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
David and Martin from Butchers BBQ
These Guys really know their stuff and
are able to communicate it

widespread
02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Took Mike Davis's class last year, take it if you get a chance. Just went to Scotty's class, if he decides to do more- jump on it!
I'd like to take Rod's class, and if Tuffy ever gave a class I'd be first in line.

SmokinOkie
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
David and Martin from Butchers BBQ
These Guys really know their stuff and
are able to communicate it

Well, you know Martin, the BIG silent type. You got him talkin?

FYI, David did teach the last FEC class in Dec. There won't be one in the spring, but maybe he'll teach again in the fall. Come back for the class, about 75 last time.

Russ

HoDeDo
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
David is a WEALTH of knowledge. Stand next to him as long as you can, and you learn just from osmosis... that's how much he knows.

U2CANQUE
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
That can be arranged if there is some interest. The classes I teach here are not comp oriented, but it could definitely be pointed in that general direction.
I'm sure I could add a day on either end of one of the trips!!!

I've got a guy.... (he's from Bayonne :twisted:)

Talk to me :-P

Is this where I interject that you just make a midnight run to Famous Daves and slather it all up with Sweet Baby Rays?......you can all now send that check, made out to Rob......

Butcher BBQ
02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Thom-Okie-HoDeDo,

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully someday we can all get together and share recipes.:icon_shy

Muzzlebrake
02-24-2010, 12:12 PM
ISS and iQue are my choices

Munkee's Pit
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
If money were no object. I would be willing to take a class from any BBQ cook, as all cooks cook differently and use different techniques to reach vastly different end products. I am quite sure that you could pick up something usefull from just about anybody, no matter how big of a success/failure they might be.

ThomEmery
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Thom-Okie-HoDeDo,

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully someday we can all get together and share recipes.:icon_shy

We are going to the Royal see you all there