PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Water Heater (on demand)

Smoke & Beers
02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31T323WKVVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I found one of these at a local hardware store for $120...I'm planning on picking it up since I'm going to start competing this spring...
I did a search here and saw that they were getting so pretty good reviews about 3 or 4 years ago... I'm just wondering if anyone who bought one back then still has theirs and how it holds up over time?
TIA for the info...

Smitty250
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm interested in this as well. My wife bought me one this past Christmas and I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I have a competition next weekend in Lake Havasu, AZ and was told I have to "clean" it out before I use it with some Calcium, Lime, Rust remover. I better get on that!

KC_Bobby
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
For $120 that's a no-brainer. We've used one for two years so far. Hot water is nice.

Forget the water jug it comes with. Fill a large cooler and just put the pump in it

Divemaster
02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
For $120 that's a no-brainer. We've used one for two years so far. Hot water is nice.

Forget the water jug it comes with. Fill a large cooler and just put the pump in it
I too got one for Christmas... I'm picking up the hose and 'Bulk LP' connections to make it complete.

We are looking forward to NOT having to use the turkey frier for boiling water!

MAsQue
02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I love mine, but I do have a word of advice:

Under NO circumstances leave it alone in a room with a five-year old and a screwdriver. The knob on the front is held on with one screw. Under that, there is a spring and a piece of metal that holds it on the shaft. If that comes off (and it's not really held on there very well once that screw is gone) the unit is unusable and unrepairable. That spring is force fitted at the factory and cannot be replace once it is off. I contacted customer service at Coleman and was told that, even if I shipped the unit to them, they could not fix it. They did offer to ship me a new one if I shipped them the old one (which cost me $175) and $125. I was disappointed in the level of service I got from the company and in what I consider to be a poor design for something that's likely to be around children, but the unit itself works great.

Brew-B-Q
02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I got one this year and used it this past weekend. I just stuck the hose in a 5 gallon bucket of water and topped it off as needed. Worked just fine. I paid 180 or so, 120 is a great buy.

luke duke
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
We used to have one of those, but we wanted something that would connect to our sink, so we got one similar to this (http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28gwbfjt45nu21bz55v4klqrju%29/productdetails.aspx?sku=4296174)

NateOwsley
02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
If you only paid $120 for that thing you got a steal.

Diva Q
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
we have had ours for a couple of years now. Its terrific!

Alexa RnQ
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Ours died after its third year, but we (and the occasional HD inspectors) loved it.
Another team we know told us a similar story, that three years seems to be their effective lifespan.

Smoke'n Ice
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Had one and it worked well until the pump started stopping. Beat it or bang it on the side of the bucket and it would usually start or if not then use a toothpick to spin the impeller. Then a piece of plastic broke on the knob that trips the pizo crystal. There is no customer service or spare parts. If it breaks, throw it away. Now use an inline propane system bought off ebay and a shur pump. Works great and can at least replace components if they fail.

Ron_L
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
We love ours, too but it died at our last comp in the fall. I contacted Coleman and they are replacing it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moocow
02-19-2010, 05:15 PM
We love ours but as Bobby said the jug is kind of a joke. Rolling cooler works great.

ZILLA
02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I love them!!!

I have had experience with the Coleman and Oster (same same) On both the units the battery charger died. That is the single biggest problem with these units. It cost $12.00 for a new charger the first time but now they are on back order until July....

I'll find a replacement that will work from Mouser Electronics supply and post the part number if anyone needs it.

$125 is a good price if it comes with all the attachments. I setup fully loaded is about $230.00, usually.

Smoke & Beers
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the opinions...I stopped by and picked it up on my way home from work this evening...Looking forward to using it...just hope I don't have to use it this weekend with the approaching ice/snow storm:evil:

SmokinOkie
02-20-2010, 07:50 AM
I've gone through 3 in 5 years, had to return two of them. The biggest problem I had is that they wouldn't operate on A/C. A/C was only there to charge the battery which runs the ignitor for the burner to heat the water.

Lots of problems, sometimes it would just quit working.

Tried to find a better battery but couldn't.

I still like them, I just expect for that kind of money they work better and more consistently.

Nomanerz
02-20-2010, 07:52 AM
We've used it competitively for the last 4 years...That being said, when it's working, it makes life easy (we use the shower head attachment and the pump submerged in a 35 gallon tank)...My only problem with this unit, is it has died on us usually at the most inopportune time (Battery Charger quit and unit failed to ignite propane)...I have gone through 4 different units over the past 4 years...I've also tried the zodi portable hot water heater (water will not get hot enough)...The one thing that's been very good about the coleman, is the product support (I bought the first one only, and all the others have been replaced at no charge by coleman). For $120,
that unit is a steal...and even though I've had so many problems with it, I would still recommend you get it cuz there is no comparable unit out there that can perform as well as it does when its working...and besides, if it should break, coleman will replace it.

Brauma
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
The Kapn built a comp trailer many moons ago and had a hot water heater built in. If I remember correctly, it used a regular LP bottle and A/C. He mounted it under his sink. I think it was something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tankless-Water-Heater-Shower/dp/B000TXOJQ4

thenewguy
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
That's a good price!
Ours died after the first year of comps.
Needless to say,I went out and bought another...

DawgPhan
02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I would also say that you should make sure that you fully charge the battery before storage. I have had to replace 1 battery in the 3 years I have owned it and the guy at the battery store just said to make sure and charge it after use and then store it and the battery will last a while. I love mine. Probably one of the first investments that any comp team should make when they first get started.

Brauma
02-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Just for fun, here is The Kapn's trailer and water heater. It was buggin me so I went searching for it. This is three years old now and worth another look.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34015&highlight=trailer.

Water heater setup on page 2.

Mo-Dave
02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I have had mine for around 3 years and the battery died on me. I went to the website and they have a parts replacement list but when I tried to order the battery it was unavailable. I called customer service and they said they don't stock the battery and can't order one, I argued that would make my heater useless and they said I could go online and look for one. After voicing my displeasure with that idea they gave me what is a great offer, to replace the whole unit for free if I have the recite.

I do have the recite and I may still take them up on the offer but I did find a battery online and bought that for now because I was afraid the heater would be tied up while being replaced and I would not get it back in time for a contest.

The real problem I have is, I think they should have at least had a place for me to go and buy one. Although its great they would be willing to replace the unit I find it objectionable that a company would do this for what amounts to a 9.00 battery on there dime, I could not run a business like that and survive.

The 120.00 is a great price and I am very happy with mine. I use white vinegar to clean it with and an old cooler for the water tank, the bag they send with it is a joke. The faucet it plastic and the nob can be broken easily if not use right. The only problem other than the battery is if it is a little windy the flame can blow out.

The little green cylinders of gas last me between 3 and 4 contest depending on the weather condition I guess. I have the attachment for hooking up to a larger tank but not really to concerned about using it, I just make sure I have a back up bottle. If you like hotter water then it will put out, just run the hot water back through the storage tank and it will heat it even better second time around.

Someone here said they were told to charge the battery before storage to make it last but customer service told me just the opposite, completely drain the battery running it until it goes dead. I have heard that same advice about other rechargeable battery operated equipment, to make a battery last, let it go dead every once in awhile.
Dave

thillin
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Might check with Interstate Battery. They may be able to provide a replacement that is a higher quality.

DawgPhan
02-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Storing your battery charged or uncharged depends on the battery and the same rules dont apply to all batteries. The coleman uses a sealed lead-acid battery and if stored in a fully discharged condition it probably wont take a charge when you bring it out of storage.

http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm

thillin
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM
BTW. I use a 5 gallon 5 day cooler. I fill it with hot water (near boiling) when I leave the house on Friday afternoon. Most of the time it's almost too hot to handle until Saturday around noon. At this point, I boil another gallon or 2 of water and add to the cooler. Work great. I just need to add a larger spigot.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I have seen the Colmans and they look great.. I went with this and everyone I spoke with loved it!http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/P11715581.jpg

!!

Enjoy hot water wherever you are with a tankless water heater
Camping accessory is perfect for campsites, cabins, or simply around the house
Camping gear ignition starts the flame only when water is running
No chance of overheating
No reservoir to deplete
Two 2 'D' cell battery
Additional benefits include: the ideal operating range is 20 to 80 PSI
System also works great on modified water systems such as a 12-volt pump
Total dimensions are 14.5 inches tall, 11.5 inches wide, 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 12 pounds
37,500 BTU
Portable
17 minute automatic safety shutoff timer
Includes CSA regulator for use with standard 20 lbs grill propane tank
Battery igniter means no electricity needed
On/Off shower head included
Garden hose adapter included
Outdoor use only

Mo-Dave
02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I have seen the Colmans and they look great.. I went with this and everyone I spoke with loved it!http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/P11715581.jpg

!!

No chance of overheating
No reservoir to deplete
Two 2 'D' cell battery
Total dimensions are 14.5 inches tall, 11.5 inches wide, 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 12 pounds
37,500 BTU
Portable
Outdoor use only

What is the brand name and what did it cost?
Dave

ZILLA
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Might check with Interstate Battery. They may be able to provide a replacement that is a higher quality.

I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.

Nomanerz
02-22-2010, 12:06 AM
I got a replacement battery at radio shack, and I have also seen them at Lowes in the outdoor security light section.

Finney
02-22-2010, 06:12 AM

!!

No chance of overheating
No reservoir to deplete
Two 2 'D' cell battery
37,500 BTU
Portable
Outdoor use only

I've got the same one (or very similar) and love it. http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-22-2010, 07:22 AM
What is the brand name and what did it cost?
Dave

its and EcoTemp (L5 I think)

on ebay with free shipping it was like $120.00

Mo-Dave
02-22-2010, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=ZILLA;1190537]I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.[/QUOTE

How can you tell if the adapter or the charger is bad I tried both and the charge light came on but would not start or make any clicking noise at all.
Dave

DawgPhan
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Just pull the battery out and take it to a batteries plus...they can test it to see if the battery can hold a charge. If you have been running it until dead and then storing it, it probably isnt going to hold a charge. If it will hold a charge then it might be the ac charger. I dont know how easy it would be to replace in the coleman. I would take out the battery first though and take it to batteries plus.

jwall
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
very nice... Something I will have to factor into the budget..

I looked at the Coleman before for camping but with what you all are saying I am going to stay away

Thanks for the advice

ZILLA
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=ZILLA;1190537]I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.[/QUOTE

How can you tell if the adapter or the charger is bad I tried both and the charge light came on but would not start or make any clicking noise at all.
Dave

OK, for starters let me clarify the proper operation of a Coleman/Oster Hot Water on Demand:

The water heater is designed so that when the AC adapter is plugged in, the unit will not operate at all.

The battery must be fully charged and the AC adapter unplugged from the water heater before the water heater will operate.

The symptoms of a defective AC adapter are as follows:

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will come on.

Upon connection of the the AC adapter the "Recharging" indicator light will come on in the "Red" condition. This light will then change from to "Orange condition" and then to "Green condition" in a matter of 1-2 minutes. A green light indicates a fully charged battery.

The AC adapter is then unpluged from the wall recepticle and then unplugged from the water heater.

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will again come on with perhaps a very short duration of the unit pumping water and perhaps a short burst of the automatic propane igniter snapping away. The unit never makes hot water and stops pumping almost immediately. The unit may also behave as dead as a post with no indication what so ever that the battery is charging.

Mo-Dave
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Just pull the battery out and take it to a batteries plus...they can test it to see if the battery can hold a charge. If you have been running it until dead and then storing it, it probably isnt going to hold a charge. If it will hold a charge then it might be the ac charger. I dont know how easy it would be to replace in the coleman. I would take out the battery first though and take it to batteries plus.

No Batteries Plus around here that I have ever heard of.
Dave

Mo-Dave
02-23-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Mo-Dave;1191372]

OK, for starters let me clarify the proper operation of a Coleman/Oster Hot Water on Demand:

The water heater is designed so that when the AC adapter is plugged in, the unit will not operate at all.

The battery must be fully charged and the AC adapter unplugged from the water heater before the water heater will operate.

The symptoms of a defective AC adapter are as follows:

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will come on.

Upon connection of the the AC adapter the "Recharging" indicator light will come on in the "Red" condition. This light will then change from to "Orange condition" and then to "Green condition" in a matter of 1-2 minutes. A green light indicates a fully charged battery.

The AC adapter is then unpluged from the wall recepticle and then unplugged from the water heater.

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will again come on with perhaps a very short duration of the unit pumping water and perhaps a short burst of the automatic propane igniter snapping away. The unit never makes hot water and stops pumping almost immediately. The unit may also behave as dead as a post with no indication what so ever that the battery is charging.

I will give this another go with the old battery first and see what happens although I am sure that is what I did. Then I will put in another one of the new battery's and see if will take a charge.
Dave

DawgPhan
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
No Batteries Plus around here that I have ever heard of.
Dave
http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_locator/state/MO.aspx

guessing you live in missouri.

But I am going to quit trying to drag you to the answers though.

Mo-Dave
02-23-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_locator/state/MO.aspx

guessing you live in missouri.

But I am going to quit trying to drag you to the answers though.

Columbia Mo is the closest store, I don't get that way except for an occasional eye doctor visit then I can't see for the rest of the day. Anyway it is a little over 80 miles from me, not worth the price difference between gas and the cost of a battery. I have a new battery charging as we speak.
Dave

swamprb
02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I use an 18 gallon Rubbermade tote to transport the Coleman and use it for the resevoir. Cut a hole in the lid for the pump and usually end up refilling it once a weekend. The shower attachment is handy to have too!

I had a Zodi Camp shower heater, but its not on demand, I let a comp neighbor use it but he walked off and left it burning after he shut the water off, the thing was glowing red as I shut it off. Still worked but looked like hell! The pump failed and Zodi CS sent a new and improved one No Questions Asked!.

For those that are using the tankless heaters, what does your reservoir/pump setup consist of? A hose faucet hookup isn't going to cut it at any comps I'll ever cook?

Mo-Dave
02-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Water heater update. Let it charge overnight it still did not run but it did click for a couple seconds, then the low battery light would come on. Called costumer service got a different person this time. He told me the pump was bad and all I needed to do was cut the pump off from the hose and remove the control nob on the front and then after I receive instructions and paperwork on how to ship those parts back they will send a new unit no charge. After I receive the new one I was instructed to take a sledge hammer to the old unit and destroy it so no one will try and dig it out of the trash and attempt to fix it.

This proves my point, I am always telling my wife, if you don't like the first answer to a problem hang up and hope you get someone else. It almost always seems you will get a different answer every time.
Dave

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I use an 18 gallon Rubbermade tote to transport the Coleman and use it for the resevoir. Cut a hole in the lid for the pump and usually end up refilling it once a weekend. The shower attachment is handy to have too!

I had a Zodi Camp shower heater, but its not on demand, I let a comp neighbor use it but he walked off and left it burning after he shut the water off, the thing was glowing red as I shut it off. Still worked but looked like hell! The pump failed and Zodi CS sent a new and improved one No Questions Asked!.

For those that are using the tankless heaters, what does your reservoir/pump setup consist of? A hose faucet hookup isn't going to cut it at any comps I'll ever cook?

I havent used mine yet, but I think its just what the hose pressure is putting out. I dont belive that there is any type of pump. I am actually going to attach it to a "portable" outside sink that I have, its a plastic garage utility sink.