PDA

View Full Version : Contest Prizes

motoeric
02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I realize that competitors most enjoy prizes that come in the form of checks, but if you were to receive a physical representation of your accomplishment, what would you like?

Are you tired of trophies? Are they just cluttering up your closet? What about engraved cutting boards? How about a nice banner? Would you be interested in an engraved recipe box?

Keeping in mind that pricing is a factor, what would be fun and interesting to receive at a comp?

Thanks,

Eric

Lake Dogs
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Trophies are nice, but we've thrown away most of ours. Bad perhaps, but we just
dont have the closet space...

Engraved cutting boards would be nicer. Banner.... I dunno. I can see where some
would like it. No thanks on the recipe box.

Southern Home Boy
02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I can't - and probably don't - speak for anyone else, but I have to be honest: I LOVE the trophies. The bigger the better. To me, they are the greatest physical representation of the accomplishment. I take great pride in them and shamelessly display them at every cook. I'll only do a couple of comps in a year, so for me, having a table full of trophies and ribbons means I'm hitting it almost every time. It's a peacock thing... I can't help it.

falldownbbq
02-19-2010, 01:04 PM
when i won my first backyard a while back, i got engraved boos blocks!!

now thats some hardware!!!

Divemaster
02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't have a problem with trophies... Though I think the coolest ones I've see were from a small contest in Wisconsin... Two years ago, Ford won a Harley and last year I won a custom golf cart...

Only problem we have is there is no space in the trailer to fit the cart for comps....

KC_Bobby
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Plaques - preferably unique ones. I think they look great hanging around the pool table and bar in the rec room. They don't take too much space and you can show them off without looking like you are showing them off. I have one decent size trophy and one smaller one and while I wouldn't trade them, I really don't know where/how to display them.

ThomEmery
02-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I am at the point where...........
If it has no chance of being displayed in the Guys living room
maybe you should not do it
Gold Records for Stagecoach this year

KC_Bobby
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Gold Records for Stagecoach this year

that's slick!

KC_Bobby
02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
How sick would it be if the major comps gave out rings (like a national championship ring)? Or maybe a red n white checkered (picnic tablecloth) sports coat (ala The Masters). Then the past winners could wear them to awards the following years.

And the winners could even hang with the Bovine Pimp and look equally bbqimpish!

Finney
02-19-2010, 01:53 PM
All of the fake wood and plastic trophies I've gooten are shoved in the corner of the 'room over'...
The only trophies I have out for people to see are these.
http://primogrillforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1444.JPG

Blown glass 'flames' on black granite bases, and the glass plate for the NC Governor's Award.

Plaques are nice and so are engraved cutting boards.

Southern Home Boy
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
All of the fake wood and plastic trophies I've gooten are shoved in the corner of the 'room over'...

Blown glass 'flames' on black granite bases, and the glass plate for the NC Governor's Award.

Oooohhh... those are neat!

Fat Woody
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
How sick would it be if the major comps gave out rings (like a national championship ring)? Or maybe a red n white checkered (picnic tablecloth) sports coat (ala The Masters). Then the past winners could wear them to awards the following years.

And the winners could even hang with the Bovine Pimp and look equally bbqimpish!

A friend of mine used to run a Croquet Tournament once a year at his house during Memorial Dy weekend. It started about twenty years ago and the prize was a green jacket, ala the Masters, as you described. Every year the winners name was embroidered on the back but the kicker was that every winner then added something unique to it, kept it for a year and then passed it on to the next winner. Needless to say, after 20 years the thing looked like something from the Sgt. Peppers album cover with epaulets, braid, ribbons, you name it - but it was certainly unique!

Did I mention that it was Indianapolis Rules One-Handed Beer Croquet?:shock:

Cue's Your Daddy
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Did I mention that it was Indianapolis Rules One-Handed Beer Croquet?:shock:

They were just talking about that technique on the Olympics:grin:.

NateOwsley
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
those are some classy trophies. I don't mind trophies at all if they are unique like that. Something maybe made by a local artist or indicative of the community the contest is in.

Capn Kev
02-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Those are very nice. I could even talk the wife into letting me display something like that :grin:

Ford
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Rings are a great idea and also belt buckles. Just for GC and maybe 1st in category. But to do it you'd need buying power of the KCBS so that all contests could get in on it.

Another good idea that few do is a GC banner. 2x4 or 3x5 is a great size banner to display. Next year you can proudly display your banner and maybe 2 or 3 at a time even. Championship flag is also a good idea.

And I also like trophies and cutting boards but I'm running out of room for them. They are all over the garage and there's a box for ribbons.

ThomEmery
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Banners did not catch on here I used them a couple of times
I am using Flags for the 2009 Western Top 10
I put Rodeo Belt Buckles up against the Gold Records no contest

Smoke'n Ice
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Small Plaques make by a local artist or community center.

Muzzlebrake
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
the problem with belt buckles is they may never get seen..........lol

I think a cars, custom motorcycles, boats or Jambo pits would be a great prize. In all seriousness I think that the custom trophies like those blown glass, the Jack Statue, the Royal Crown are really cool. Boston Hills had Fireman's hats, the Troy Pig, Empire State Statue of Liberty are some of last years that were really cool.

I think that something like engraved knives, or an embroidered apron would be cool.

KuyasKitchen
02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't compete, but I think custom plaques would be ideal. Something that could be put up on the wall and not take up space required for our precious equipment.

Candy Sue
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
My favorite trophy is black lucite cut in the shape of Arkansas with the Bikes, Blues & BBQ logo and 1st place Pork on it, top hog at a HD rally, who can beat it! Got a nice collection of crawfish paddles from Hammond. Mostly, I like placques. Good on the brag wall in my office.

trohrs123
02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
trophies are great but seem to come out of the trailer with pieces broken off...the engraved plaques are sturdy and look good

Buster Dog BBQ
02-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Anything custom is cool. River City Roundup had branding irons for GC and Boos boards branded with the contest logo for first place in each category. My GC trophy from South Dakota is die cut from a steel plate and weighs about 25 lbs.

What I don't get though is teams that carry their trophy's around with them and put them up at contest. No disrespect to those teams, I just don't get it.

chromesporty
02-20-2010, 07:34 AM
This is our favorite to date. Weighs in at about 40 lbs. Granite and steel.

Lakeside Smoker
02-20-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.pigtrip.net/contests/2009-Snowshoe/trophies-big.jpg

These were a big hit at last years Snowshoe Grilling Challenge.

(Pic stolen from www.Pigtrip.net)

Coz
02-20-2010, 08:48 AM
One of my favorites from past hobbies was plaques or trophies with clocks.I had a room full of large trophies and all I kept was a plaque or two with the clocks.