PDA

View Full Version : prepping competion meat

BRBBQ
02-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I read some where that you can prep your meats before a comp, like trim fat ect. I don't see this in the KCBS rules. Is this a gray area in rule 7) If I could clean, wash and trim all meats at home, then I would do this since the comp is only 3 miles from my house. I know you can't inject or season meats, just curious on prepping it.

jrbbbqer
02-19-2010, 04:34 AM
I was thinking the same since the out of towners have rv's to prep it in. I don't know what they would say when they inspect your meat like if you brought spares already cut st. louis style.i would try to ask or call them ahead of time about this though.

Peteg
02-19-2010, 05:38 AM
I read some where that you can prep your meats before a comp, like trim fat ect. I don't see this in the KCBS rules. Is this a gray area in rule 7) If I could clean, wash and trim all meats at home, then I would do this since the comp is only 3 miles from my house. I know you can't inject or season meats, just curious on prepping it.

It's perfectly fine to trim ahead of time. Just don't season or inject with anything. It's not a bad idea to keep the price sticker from the original package. I typically trim all meat Thursday night and then vacuum pack the stickers inside the new package.

chibi
02-19-2010, 06:02 AM
I like to trim at home also. not rushed and comfort of home. Yes it can be trimmed.and I keep the org. sticker but have never had a problem.

Finney
02-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I do everything but chicken at home.

BBQ_Mayor
02-19-2010, 06:23 AM
I've done this a few times and had no problems. You can trim the meats but you can't inject or season until it has been inspected.

tonto1117
02-19-2010, 06:30 AM
It's perfectly fine to trim ahead of time. Just don't season or inject with anything. It's not a bad idea to keep the price sticker from the original package. I typically trim all meat Thursday night and then vacuum pack the stickers inside the new package.

I've done this a few times and had no problems. You can trim the meats but you can't inject or season until it has been inspected.

What they said. Good idea like Peteg said to save sticker from the original packages.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-19-2010, 07:03 AM
prep all you want before a comp, as said b4..dont inject, brine, rub, season , etc...

as far as the labels...I dont save them because I really dont get them. I buy my meat by the case and the only thing I could do is show the kill date, which wont help because I may keep it frozen for a month or so..

Sal

Divemaster
02-19-2010, 07:49 AM
My first couple of comps I did all of the trimming there. What a pain. Next I started trimming my chicken at home, then added the ribs, and finally the brisket. I really makes life a LOT easier when you just have to pull out a cryo-sucked package of chicken rather than having to trim it... I've actually gotten quite used to getting a nap in on Friday afternoon...

I do everything but chicken at home.
Interesting.... I start with my chicken because it's the biggest PIA. The only thing I don't trim is my pork butt because it's like what, a 5 minute job?

In fact, I'm looking at starting my trimming early this year because we are doing so many comps. I've never had a problem freezing the meat so my plan is to trim out enough for the first 5 or 6 comps and then just keep up with it as we go along...

prep all you want before a comp, as said b4..don't inject, brine, rub, season , etc...

as far as the labels...I dint save them because I really don't get them. I buy my meat by the case and the only thing I could do is show the kill date, which wont help because I may keep it frozen for a month or so..

Sal
I couldn't agree more since I buy at RD by the case there are no labels on the individual packages and since I freeze all of it, the kill date means nothing. the one thing I do is have the guys weigh out and label each package of pork because of the weight rule...

Mike - CSBBBQ
02-19-2010, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=Divemaster;1187553]My first couple of comps I did all of the trimming there. What a pain. Next I started trimming my chicken at home, then added the ribs, and finally the brisket. I really makes life a LOT easier when you just have to pull out a cryo-sucked package of chicken rather than having to trim it... I've actually gotten quite used to getting a nap in on Friday afternoon...

Interesting.... I start with my chicken because it's the biggest PIA. job?

Amen!

Peteg
02-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm with Dive on the pork. Only thing you've gotta watch out for is getting a bad pack of pork. If you're bringing 4-6 shoulders, not really a big deal.. But if your only bringing 2, you might want to open it ahead of time and at least make sure it smells good.

Alexa RnQ
02-19-2010, 09:35 AM
We went from trimming everything at home, to being so busy that the ONLY time we had to trim was at the contest, and are trying to work our way back to pretrimming.

We've only had one ill-informed meat inspector try to tell us that pre-trimming was not allowed, and since then we've kept a printout of the KCBS rules in our kit.

BRBBQ
02-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Thats what I was thinking, trim every thing at home, wash it up and take it to the comp, seems like it'd be easier and less things to do. Thanks for info.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM
We went from trimming everything at home, to being so busy that the ONLY time we had to trim was at the contest, and are trying to work our way back to pretrimming.

We've only had one ill-informed meat inspector try to tell us that pre-trimming was not allowed, and since then we've kept a printout of the KCBS rules in our kit.

I always have a copy of the rules, not just for me but also new teams that havent done any research at all.

Divemaster
02-19-2010, 11:24 AM

[/COLOR]

I always have a copy of the rules, not just for me but also new teams that havent done any research at all.
I not only carry the rules, but also a copy of all of the Rep. Advisories. Believe it or not, two Reps and I have had to review them a couple of times....

Brew-B-Q
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Same thing happened to me last year. Used to trim everything, then it became just make sure chicken is done. The rest are easy enough to do on site once I get away from all of the distractions of real life.

smoke it if ya got it
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
This is true just no seasoning or injecting. Chicken would be a pain with all the trimming on site.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I just gave up on trimming pork and brisket until it is done cooking! Chicken on the other hand starts at home when possible and then moves to the comp area to finish. Ribs are quick, we do whenever.

Just Smokin' Around
02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
[/COLOR]

Sal, what a nice guy. Always looking out for the other guy. If I need a current set of rules, now I'll know where to go.