PDA

View Full Version : Rub, Baltimore

Chipper
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm spending the week-end in Baltimore soon and was interested in going to Rub. Anyone have any thoughts?

Chipper
03-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Here is a brief review of my experience at Rub, in Baltimore MD.

We arrived at 5:45 and the restaurant was fairly empty and we were seated at a back booth and ordered drinks. My partner had a Shiner Bock and I started with a Margarita.
We ordered the hot wings to share and they were fairly large, crisp, tender and had a little smoke flavor. The sauce was a spicy bbq and was excellent.

Grade- A

Next, we both had the Iceberg Lettuce wedge, one with the Chipotle Blue Cheese Dressing and one with the Serrano Ranch Dressing. Both had diced tomatoes, and crumbled bacon. Huge portion and the dressings were fantastic.

Grade- A

We order one "Lone Star Platter" which is a sampler of all of their smoked meats, and a couple of sides. Again, a huge portion and we could not finish all of it. We also ordered the fried okra.

Fried Okra- Crisp, sweet and delicious. Served with the ranch dressing.
Grade- A

Cole Slaw- Sweet and not very crisp.
Grade- C

Black Beans- Spicy and smokey.
Grade- B

Mac & Cheese- A little tough and not much cheese
Grade- C

Corn Pudding- Spicy, sweet and rich.
Grade- A

Now the meats.

Chicken- A leg and thigh portion, had a nice smoke flavor and very moist and tender.
Grade- B

Turkey- Breast meat was moist and slight smoke flavor.
Grade- A

Brisket- Tender and moist, but not much flavor.
Grade- C

Pulled Pork- Finely chopped, with a little sauce. Moist, a little sweet and tender.
Grade- B

Ribs- We were served the short end of a rack and they seemed very over cooked and were dry and not very tasty.
Grade- D

Sausage- A decent smokey flavor, but pretty dry.
Grade- D

One odd thing was with the name, "Rub", you'd think they use some. And maybe they did, but not one of the meats had enough to say, "the rub used was good, spicy, sweet, whatever.

Overall, this is decent place and the service was excellent. It's not very expensive, with our bill being a little under $100.00.

peaspurple
03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks chipper, I am gonna definately check it out one weekend. I love the grading system and I too will have the lone star platter. Also when you gonna dig out that cookshack for me?

peaspurple