PDA

View Full Version : Huntsville, AL

cds9333
02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I was wondering if there are any decent places to eat in Huntsville(BBQ and otherwise)? I will be there for work from the evening of March 8 to the afternoon of the 12th if that makes a difference and anyone wants to meet up.

joe willie
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
If you are looking for Q, Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur is only about a 20 minute drive from Huntsville. I think Dr. BBQ rated them the #2 "BBQ joint" in America.

QN
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe we can have a mini bash. Ford will be in the area on March 10 on his way to Mobile and will be parking his trailer at my house for the night. Where will you be working?

QN
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
If you like hot wings there a couple of good local places (Beauregards and Crickets). Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison does a good sliced brisket. The old Greenbriar Restaurant out at the crossroads has pretty good pulled pork and chicken and great fried catfish, hushpuppies, and onion rings.

OutlawSwine
02-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe we can have a mini bash. Ford will be in the area on March 10 on his way to Mobile and will be parking his trailer at my house for the night. Where will you be working?

Dang, there will be all kinds of Brethren in H'ville on the 10th. I will be there working also.

cds9333
02-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I will be at UAH at the conference center. I am not authorized to get a rental car, but can get a taxi and use the conference centers courtesy shuttle.

Either way, I should be able to get to where I need to go, though I think a 20 mile taxi receipt for dinner, may get looked down upon. :tongue:

I am game for meeting up with anyone.

QN
02-16-2010, 07:57 AM
I will be at UAH at the conference center. I am not authorized to get a rental car, but can get a taxi and use the conference centers courtesy shuttle.

Either way, I should be able to get to where I need to go, though I think a 20 mile taxi receipt for dinner, may get looked down upon. :tongue:

I am game for meeting up with anyone.

My office is pretty close to UAH. If you want to do dinner one evening I could swing by and pick you up. There were some guys in town a couple of years ago and I hauled them over to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur and then on another evening took them out to a local ruarl BBQ joint. They said they liked the rural joint better.

jswordy
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Bleah to Gibson's. Image over quality.

I work at The Huntsville Times on Memorial Parkway.

Old Greenbriar is good. Ole Dad's in Hazel Green is good, and there is another joint in Meridianville next to the gas station that smokes it real on wood, which is good. My best place on Governors is now closed, a lot of the small ones are going away. Hickory Hut BBQ is good.

Rural joints are the best. If you have time, get to the one in Meridianville. It is on the left as you come into town in a log cabin-like building right next to the el cheapo gas stations there. Often has a wood fire smoking the meat around dinnertime as I come through town.

Let me know if there's gonna be some kinda confab, and I'll see if I can show up. Lunch would be great, as I commute in to town from Fayetteville every weekday.

QN
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Bleah to Gibson's. Image over quality.

I work at The Huntsville Times on Memorial Parkway.

Old Greenbriar is good. Ole Dad's in Hazel Green is good, and there is another joint in Meridianville next to the gas station that smokes it real on wood, which is good. My best place on Governors is now closed, a lot of the small ones are going away. Hickory Hut BBQ is good.

Rural joints are the best. If you have time, get to the one in Meridianville. It is on the left as you come into town in a log cabin-like building right next to the el cheapo gas stations there. Often has a wood fire smoking the meat around dinnertime as I come through town.

Let me know if there's gonna be some kinda confab, and I'll see if I can show up. Lunch would be great, as I commute in to town from Fayetteville every weekday.

Try Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison. It is on Hwy 20/Madison Blvd. just west of the Wall Triana/Sullivan St. intersection before you get to Old Time Pottery. you can see his smoker sitting outside. It is sort of a shack looking place, but they do a good sliced brisket and pulled pork is pretty good, too.

deguerre
02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Glad to hear Greenbriers is still around. It's been years but the catfish was great.

jswordy
02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Try Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison. It is on Hwy 20/Madison Blvd. just west of the Wall Triana/Sullivan St. intersection before you get to Old Time Pottery. you can see his smoker sitting outside. It is sort of a shack looking place, but they do a good sliced brisket and pulled pork is pretty good, too.

Shack is the best. Fancier it is, less true the cue. I'll try it next time I am out that way. Don't go there often.