PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Dells BBQ Bash May 20-23

PimpSmoke
02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
10K payouts, money to fifth. 54 spots (I think half are filled). 20 AMP electric and water to all spots, on grass. Free ice, qualifier.

http://www.dellsbbqbash.com/modules/web/index.php/id/11

Cheap entry @ $225.

Already paid and in, anyone else fancy?

Coz
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
yup we will wander over.You bringing the Wyocena Flash with?

PimpSmoke
02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I have not been in touch with Clark since Princeton last year. I was hoping he still hung out around here. But as far as colors, we'll be flying the Smoke Pimps banner this time out.

Peteg
02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm definately in for this one. This should be fun. Nice to see you around here Pimp.
Pete

PimpSmoke
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM
10-4 that looks like three, should I call for spot arrangements this early? LOL

Harbormaster
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Well.....
I have a buddy who wants to do two comps this year. So far it looks like Montello and Princeton work out best date-wise.
Dells is up in the air. I may not be there to cook, but I will be there to hang out, possibly all night.
We'll see.

PimpSmoke
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
That would be awesome.

Trainwreck
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
We will be there. See ya then.

Brew-B-Q
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
This one looks good for us - it's either this or Westmont the following weekend, but I can't do both. One of the weekends is booked, just don't know which one yet...

Bud's BBQ
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Well.....
I have a buddy who wants to do two comps this year. So far it looks like Montello and Princeton work out best date-wise.
Dells is up in the air. I may not be there to cook, but I will be there to hang out, possibly all night.
We'll see.

We need the Harbormaster at the Dells!!!

Tonto will be looking for you and yell out the window at you again:lol:

We were thinking about taking the invite to the GAB but The Dells is too good to miss.

Divemaster
02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, I guess Stockcar BBQ should go since we did end up with a free entrance from the banquet...

Actually, the entry form is completed and just sitting here just waiting to be put in the mail...

Man, I'm looking forward to this one! It's going to be good to see you guys again!

Coz
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
We need the Harbormaster at the Dells!!!

Tonto will be looking for you and yell out the window at you again:lol:

We were thinking about taking the invite to the GAB but The Dells is too good to miss.

I would like to go to the GAB also .Just recieved the Invite today.I guess I didnt notice they were the same weekend. :mad:

mjl
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I didn't realize they were the same weekend either, and haven't received my GAB invite yet. I will probably opt for the Dells, closer to home. Not sure it makes sense to do 3 of my 4 contests this year in KC. Likely see all you folks in the Dells, if I ever get around to sending in my entry blank.

Coz
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Matt,ours just came today.give me a call tonite if you get a chance.

PimpSmoke
02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Good thing I'm not cashy enough to travel that far. I would like to do GAB though, it would be an experience, unless I am reading correctly that it is invite only.

In either case, bring the mini Disneyland!

Papa Hogg
02-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Papa Hogg & the Piglets are there...looking forward to seeing everyone again

Peteg
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Papa Hogg & the Piglets are there...looking forward to seeing everyone again

It'll be nice seeing ya again EJ. We missed ya at Princeton last year! Looks like we've got a pretty good group so far. Brian I promise you won't have to stay up all night showing me how to bbq again..

PimpSmoke
02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
It'll be nice seeing ya again EJ. We missed ya at Princeton last year! Looks like we've got a pretty good group so far. Brian I promise you won't have to stay up all night showing me how to bbq again..

Bro, whatever time I spent at your site, I did because I enjoyed spending time with guys that enjoy cooking (and drinking beer) like me, nothing else.

And, on top of that, I hope you didn't listen to much I said, cuz I'm a pretty ****ty cook!

Looking forward to seeing the Hogg clan again. Chris Lilley's Alabama white on your chicky again? I'll eat it, tell ya that much.

Oh and Jeff, bring all your hubcaps!!!

Peteg
02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I learned some good stuff from you and had a good time too. I took all the stuff you said and then told Dive about it and he told me what to ignore. Kidding.

PimpSmoke
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I learned some good stuff from you and had a good time too. I took all the stuff you said and then told Dive about it and he told me what to ignore. Kidding.

Actually, a good idea, cuz I talk a lot of shart.

Except....the stuff he left out to keep his edge. You know true competition cooks never really tell anyone EVERYthing.:icon_shy:eusa_clap

mjl
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I just readied the envelope for mailing. See you in the Dells.

Coz
02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Good thing I'm not cashy enough to travel that far. I would like to do GAB though, it would be an experience, unless I am reading correctly that it is invite only.

In either case, bring the mini Disneyland!

Bryan ,It is a two contest weekend.Invitational ,then open with an additional brisket contest also.

Papa Hogg
02-16-2010, 08:20 PM

mistake one listening to anything Dive says ;-) looking forward to seeing you again Pete...saw you had a good year last that's great.
and Pimp it's always a pleasure to hang with you.
I think this is going to be a great comp & early in the season too

PimpSmoke
02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Bryan ,It is a two contest weekend.Invitational ,then open with an additional brisket contest also.

Damn, I didn't know that.

Divemaster
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
mistake one listening to anything Dive says ;-) looking forward to seeing you again Pete...saw you had a good year last that's great.
And to think, I almost missed you guys... :lol:

Peteg
02-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks EJ, We'll see how this year goes. We certainly had a lot of fun last year..

Papa Hogg
02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
And to think, I almost missed you guys... :lol:

Come on...big hug!

BTW that comment was all Piglets, not Papa Hogg :wink:

Divemaster
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Come on...big hug!

BTW that comment was all Piglets, not Papa Hogg :wink:
Sure, blame it all on the kids... LOL...

Actually, I have been missing you guys. Group Hug!

Scottie
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM

that's what I will be doing. Haven't cooked the GAB, as it's usually up against my hometown contest. Plus, I will get KS off my list of states.

Then again, I am not sure how many contests, if any, I will be cooking in WI this year....

Divemaster
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Got my Cooks Packet last night...

You guys almost ready????

DanPop
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Do any of you need any help? I've never been to a contest and would love to be involved with one. Thanks.

Stoke&Smoke
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
We were is the same boat as Brew-B-Q, had to pick between Westmont the following week and this one. Seeing as how Westmont is only a town or two away, it wins. :roll:

chambersuac
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Well, I guess Stockcar BBQ should go since we did end up with a free entrance from the banquet...

Actually, the entry form is completed and just sitting here just waiting to be put in the mail...

Man, I'm looking forward to this one! It's going to be good to see you guys again!

Jeff - I may try to make this one - can I pit-b**ch for ya?

Ron_L
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know if you all consider this good news or not, but Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que will be there! The coffee will be hot and black on Saturday morning!

Divemaster
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Jeff - I may try to make this one - can I pit-b**ch for ya?

Wouldn't that be Rev. Pit-B**ch Jr. Grade???? LOL

You and I had talked about it over the winter and to be honest, I was kind of expecting to be there, so I guess the answer would be ahhhhh....

Yes.:clap2:.:clap2:.:clap2: LOL

I don't know if you all consider this good news or not, but Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que will be there!
Are you startng that trash talking already?:boxing:?:boxing:?:boxing:?

The coffee will be hot and black on Saturday morning!
That's what I like to hear!

chambersuac
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Jeff, I just wanted to check - I didn't know if you'd mentioned to the other guys on your team.

Also, I have a two bed room unit at Wyndham Glacier Canyon on the 19th and 20th - my family will be in TX, so if anyone wants to come up early and stay in the extra room, let me know. This place has three or four water parks, go carts, and a zip line tour.

Stoke&Smoke
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
You'll have a great time Dan, Jeff's team is a great bunch of folks!

chambersuac
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Thanks. If the other two guys are anything like Jeff, I'm sure they'll be great. They don't come much nicer than Dive!

QN
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys from the north part of the country. Looks like I'll be there to judge or table captain.

Divemaster
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
We were is the same boat as Brew-B-Q, had to pick between Westmont the following week and this one. Seeing as how Westmont is only a town or two away, it wins. :roll:

Why not do both? We are....

Thanks. If the other two guys are anything like Jeff, I'm sure they'll be great. They don't come much nicer than Dive!
Now you all are making me blush.:redface:.:redface:.:redface:

Smokin' Joe
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
In the end we also decided to pass on the GAB invite and head to the Dells. Got my packet last night as well, very well done packet with lots of good info. I'd usually be little leary of all of the exit rules, but I guess we are staying Saturday night anyway so no big issue.

Looking forward to meeting some folks I haven't meet yet!

Coz
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
In the end we also decided to pass on the GAB invite and head to the Dells. Got my packet last night as well, very well done packet with lots of good info. I'd usually be little leary of all of the exit rules, but I guess we are staying Saturday night anyway so no big issue.

Looking forward to meeting some folks I haven't meet yet!

Yep the exit rules kinda suck :mad2: And I only live 40 miles away so I can see how some one who has to drive a ways wouldnt be happy.I was planning on gettin out of there to go to the races for a little bit but time we get out it will be half done.

Trainwreck
04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
If Jeff has a new pit b**ch looks like I will bringing punch. I need to take every advantage I can get. I will have my fire pit going if anyone needs to get warm stop by for hot punch and a bit of fire. Cant wait to get to this one. Lookin forward to seeing everyone. Ron I have to make it by for some coffee this time. And the exit times are BS.

Peteg
04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Did anyone else read that part about storing each meat in a seperate container in order to prevent cross contamination?? I understand eliminating cross contamination as long as a vacuum pack is an acceptable container..

Divemaster
04-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Yep the exit rules kinda suck :mad2: And I only live 40 miles away so I can see how some one who has to drive a ways wouldnt be happy.I was planning on gettin out of there to go to the races for a little bit but time we get out it will be half done.

I agree... We are looking at about a 3 1/2 hour drive back home or maybe a 1 hour drive to Cambridge, crash, then finish the trip in the morning...

I'll have to talk to my guys and see if they are thinking of sticking around with family...

My other question is who is going to watch the trailers while we are all sleeping in the hotels... I for one would not look forward to another night in the trailer...

If Jeff has a new pit b**ch looks like I will bringing punch. I need to take every advantage I can get. I will have my fire pit going if anyone needs to get warm stop by for hot punch and a bit of fire. Cant wait to get to this one. Lookin forward to seeing everyone. Ron I have to make it by for some coffee this time. And the exit times are BS.
Oh man, I forgot about that stuff (or it wiped it's self from my memory)!

Did anyone else read that part about storing each meat in a seperate container in order to prevent cross contamination?? I understand eliminating cross contamination as long as a vacuum pack is an acceptable container..
I saw that too... I'm going to drop them an email about it...

Ron_L
04-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I sent Tanya an e-mail about the restrictive load out times. She claims hat their insurance company told them to do it that way because of the pedestrian traffic at the festival. She put us on the list to roll out at 7 on Saturday. Parsley lady has to work the next morning so there is no way we can wait until Sunday. If this is a problem we just won't go back again next year.

Jeff, let me know what she says about the separate containers. The bottom line is that the packet says that "The KCBS rep has the final word on any questions or issues with the meat inspection" and Mike Lake has never required that the different meats be stored in different coolers in the past, so I don't expect this time to be any different. Also, all of the health department stuff really doesn't apply to the competition meats. Of course we should follow safe food handling practices, but we're not serving that meat to the public. I'm not sure about the meat they are supposed to provide for the "Crowd Pleaser" (or whatever they called it), however.

Divemaster
04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
I sent Tanya an e-mail about the restrictive load out times. She claims hat their insurance company told them to do it that way because of the pedestrian traffic at the festival. She put us on the list to roll out at 7 on Saturday. Parsley lady has to work the next morning so there is no way we can wait until Sunday. If this is a problem we just won't go back again next year.

Jeff, let me know what she says about the separate containers. The bottom line is that the packet says that "The KCBS rep has the final word on any questions or issues with the meat inspection" and Mike Lake has never required that the different meats be stored in different coolers in the past, so I don't expect this time to be any different. Also, all of the health department stuff really doesn't apply to the competition meats. Of course we should follow safe food handling practices, but we're not serving that meat to the public. I'm not sure about the meat they are supposed to provide for the "Crowd Pleaser" (or whatever they called it), however.
As soon as I hear, I'll pass it on.

Divemaster
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
OK. Here is the email exchange I had....

Subject: Dells BBQ Bash Meat Storage

Good afternoon!

I just got my packet and noticed that you are requiring us to bring 3 separate coolers for the competition meats.

I guess I'm wondering why? We have never in the past been asked to do this. In fact at Princeton I brought a separate cooler for my chicken and was told that it wasn't required. There was also no mention of this at the Rules Meeting in Philly in January, nor is it mentioned in the KCBS rules you sent.

Normally, I bring a single cooler for all of my meat. Each cut is vacuum sealed (by meat type) after trimming, the outside of my packaging is washed, and then it's frozen. Is this sufficient or do I really need to bring 3 coolers?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! We have asked that you,

“*PLEASE KEEP THE DIFFERENT MEATS IN SEPARATE CONTAINERS, TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF BACTERIA.”

This does not require you to use different coolers. We were asked to do this both by our meat inspectors and by our health inspectors.

Thanks,
Tanya

Thank you for your prompt response.

Just to confirm, we may bring the meat in a single cooler as long as the meats are in separate storage containers such as zip-style bags, air tight containers, or vacuum sealed bags, correct?

I'm not trying to be picky, I just don't want to show up after driving 4 hours just to be told that I can't use the meat that I brought.

Thank you again and I'm sorry if I'm being a pain.

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

Jeff,

Yes, that is fine as long as they are completely separate. For example dripping chicken juice out of a bag onto the brisket bag would not be okay.

Thanks,
Tanya

Peteg
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks Dive, you're a good man.

Divemaster
04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Just don't let it get out.... I would ruin my reputation... :becky:

Brew-B-Q
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Can't leave until 7 pm? That's ridiculous.

Ron_L
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Here's another interesting restriction from an e-mail that i received today...

What is permitted on the grounds?

We do not allow pets, firearms, explosives, ANY alcoholic carry ins or any other items that might be dangerous.

I asked for clarification on the "alcoholic carry ins" and here is the reply...

Good Afternoon! As we are an existing restaurant with an alcohol permit, we do have different guidelines than a park or traditional festival ground. I am not planning on searching people’s property for alcohol, but we are just asking that people do not bring it with. We will have plenty for sale if people would like some!

Not that we're big partyers, but they sure are making it difficult to want to do this competition. Even comps that we have cooked in dry counties allowed teams to bring alcohol for personal consumption. They just asked that we use a "red cup".

Scottie
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Did you ask about coffee Ron? I am sure that one of their restaurants sells it and I would hate for you to go up against them and give away free coffee.... :crazy:

Man, The GAB is sounding beter and better. I might beat you guys home and I am about 3 1/2 hours farther away!!! :roll:

Trainwreck
04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Here's another interesting restriction from an e-mail that i received today...

What is permitted on the grounds?

We do not allow pets, firearms, explosives, ANY alcoholic carry ins or any other items that might be dangerous.

I asked for clarification on the "alcoholic carry ins" and here is the reply...

Good Afternoon! As we are an existing restaurant with an alcohol permit, we do have different guidelines than a park or traditional festival ground. I am not planning on searching peopleís property for alcohol, but we are just asking that people do not bring it with. We will have plenty for sale if people would like some!

Not that we're big partyers, but they sure are making it difficult to want to do this competition. Even comps that we have cooked in dry counties allowed teams to bring alcohol for personal consumption. They just asked that we use a "red cup".

I foresee a big red cup weekend for us!

Coz
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I foresee a big red cup weekend for us!

I just bought a bunch of clean 5 gallon pails do want a few painted red?

Coz
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Sneaky farker has you fooled dont he...
:thumb:

Ron_L
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Did you ask about coffee Ron? I am sure that one of their restaurants sells it and I would hate for you to go up against them and give away free coffee.... :crazy:

I didn't. Do you think coffee would fall under "other items that might be dangerous"? :-D

BTW, guys, the red cup comment was mine regarding other comps. This one doesn't want us to bring it in at all.

Coz
04-16-2010, 08:10 PM
She sure is making it hard to entertain our sponsors on friday nite. Ron I think the margarita maker would fit in one of those buckets .

Brew-B-Q
04-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm glad I have a conflict this weekend. I'd be especially ticked about the load-out times since I don't recall them being mentioned in any of the info I received.

2Fat
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
I think as long as one is reasonably discreet will be no problem---as long as they aren't checking the trash for cans anyway<lol>
hopefully will be ready to leave by Sunday morn--hopefully will get as far as Monks anyway!

INmitch
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't remember seeing any of these rules until I received my packet. Would've been nice to have known this befor I signed up.:tsk: I don't think they realize how much alcohol it takes Fowl Butt Bbq to do a contest.:shock:

Stoke&Smoke
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Having read all this I'm glad we opted for Westmont the next week. No pets, no booze, and late out time...wait...we're almost always late to leave...guess that wasn't a deal-breaker, but no pup and no apple pie shots? Nahhhhhh

Divemaster
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Just sent them the news that we wanted out with the 7pm group... If it's nice, we'll go all the way back, if not, we'll stop and 'Brisketwood' for the night...

I agree it would have been nice to know this before signing up... Wouldn't have made a huge differance for us since the entry was free, but next year we'll ask a lot of questions before we sign up...

As for the red cup... I have an old inflatable pool that was my daughters... As I recall, it was red....

INmitch
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
According to her reply to me this is not even a "red cup". She said no outside alcohol. I'm fine not drinking at a comp:mad:.... but ....why wasn't this made clear on the application.

Divemaster
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
What about alcohol used in cooking... Do we have to buy that from them too????

Ron_L
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
According to her reply to me this is not even a "red cup". She said no outside alcohol. I'm fine not drinking at a comp:mad:.... but ....why wasn't this made clear on the application.

That is what i tried to clarify a few posts ago. I used the red cup model as an example of how other comps have handled this. I did mention that this event didn't want alcohol at all.

Personally I think the underlying reason is that they want to sell their own alcohol :-D

Divemaster
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
That is what i tried to clarify a few posts ago. I used the red cup model as an example of how other comps have handled this. I did mention that this event didn't want alcohol at all.

Personally I think the underlying reason is that they want to sell their own alcohol :-D
That's the way I read the response....:boxing:

Stoke&Smoke
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Seems like a great way to tick off a lot of teams! Stuff like that should be spelled out either on the website or on the cooks app....BEFORE any non-refundable cash changes hands!:mad:

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Seems like a great way to tick off a lot of teams! Stuff like that should be spelled out either on the website or on the cooks app....BEFORE any non-refundable cash changes hands!:mad:
I couldn't agree more.

OtisT
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I was thinking about heading up to the Dells for this (and donating my money to the rest of you) since it was so close, but with rules like this I wouldn't be able to get any help.

Scottie
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about heading up to the Dells for this (and donating my money to the rest of you) since it was so close, but with rules like this I wouldn't be able to get any help.

Come on down to Westmont, IL over Memorial Day weekend. They have a red cup rule... :thumb: Plus, it's a Sat/Sun contest...

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I dropped another email just to be sure....

Subject: Yet another question...

Tanya,

Sorry to be such a pain.

I was re-reading the rules sheet that you sent out and I see that we aren't allowed to bring alcohol. Is this just for consumption or at all? The reason I'm asking is that I use it in the creation of my sauces and also to spray down some of my meats. In doing this, I go through about a .75L bottle. Is this a problem?

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

----------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! First off-you are not being a pain. I appreciate questions, it clarifies things for everyone! J The alcohol restriction is because of our liquor licensing that we hold on the restaurant premises. I am viewing it as a consumption issue. I donít see it as an issue in your cooking. I would ask that the bottle not be out, or even better, perhaps in a different container? I want to make sure another team or our licensing agent, does not see that as a misinterpretation and think you have brought it in to consume as a beverage.

Please feel free to ask any other questions, I am happy to be of assistance.

Thank you,

Tanya

Scottie
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I dropped another email just to be sure....

Subject: Yet another question...

Tanya,

Sorry to be such a pain.

I was re-reading the rules sheet that you sent out and I see that we aren't allowed to bring alcohol. Is this just for consumption or at all? The reason I'm asking is that I use it in the creation of my sauces and also to spray down some of my meats. In doing this, I go through about a .75L bottle. Is this a problem?

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

----------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! First off-you are not being a pain. I appreciate questions, it clarifies things for everyone! J The alcohol restriction is because of our liquor licensing that we hold on the restaurant premises. I am viewing it as a consumption issue. I donít see it as an issue in your cooking. I would ask that the bottle not be out, or even better, perhaps in a different container? I want to make sure another team or our licensing agent, does not see that as a misinterpretation and think you have brought it in to consume as a beverage.

Please feel free to ask any other questions, I am happy to be of assistance.

Thank you,

Tanya

Man... For some reason... I just feel like some teams are going to be DQ'd... Not sure why I get that feeling either... :twisted:

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Why for cooking with alcohol?

That's why I sent her the email, to have the backup...

INmitch
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Fowl Butt Bbq is staying next door at the Wintergreen motel. I'm going to take an extra canopy & prep meat & hang out in the the motel parking lot if they'll let us.:heh: How's the old saying go "there's more than one way to skin a cat". If you see us there come over, any & all are welcome.:thumb:

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Fowl Butt Bbq is staying next door at the Wintergreen motel. I'm going to take an extra canopy & prep meat & hang out in the the motel parking lot if they'll let us.:heh: How's the old saying go "there's more than one way to skin a cat". If you see us there come over, any & all are welcome.:thumb:
I'm not sure but that may work but you are going to need to have your meat inspected when you bring it back into the grounds...

I figure you could always buy a drink and keep using the cup too (refill mod)

INmitch
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Ya I thought about that after I posted that. The meat will stay there. As far as using their cup we'll see. Don't want to drive 7-8 hrs to get a DQ.

Coz
04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Ya I thought about that after I posted that. The meat will stay there. As far as using their cup we'll see. Don't want to drive 7-8 hrs to get a DQ.

I was thinkin (which can be dangerous) that I read somewhere that once your meat is inspected it cant leave your cook area but dont know for sure.
I am truly sorry I talked so many of you into this contest :redface:

Our beer bill for friday will most likely run into the $100s as we will have lots of folks showing up. What really sucks is I dont drink.

2Fat
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Coz;
I am truly sorry I talked so many of you into this contest :redface:
.[/QUOTE]

how sorry????lol

Coz
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
how sorry????lol

If it was up to me I would be staying home.

Divemaster
04-21-2010, 08:06 AM
If it was up to me I would be staying home.
I wouldn't worry about it Coz. We're all big boys (some of us are bigger than others!)...

For us, it was a choice between Minn. in May and the Dells... We got lucky and got the free ride at the banquet to the Dells.

To be honest, even with all of the rules (that make less and less sense), I'm still looking forward to seeing all of my friends!:becky:

One Arm Bandit
04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I use copious amounts of brew in my water pans. Hope that's not a dq.

Coz
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
I use copious amounts of brew in my water pans. Hope that's not a dq.

Might be when they see you with that long straw down into the WSM :drama:

Trainwreck
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
So if we have to buy their beer does that mean we are getting a discount? I mean we should get some sort of deal seeing as the competitors are what will bring the crowds in to make them all of their money.

Divemaster
04-22-2010, 08:16 AM
So if we have to buy their beer does that mean we are getting a discount? I mean we should get some sort of deal seeing as the competitors are what will bring the crowds in to make them all of their money.
My gut tells me that would be wishful thinking.... They sound like they are in it just for what ever money they can find and don't care how many they piss off doing it.... JMHO

One Arm Bandit
04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I sent the organizer an e-mail yesterday suggesting they give comp team an at cost price on beer. Here is what I received early this morning.

Good Morning! I thank you for your suggestion.

I posted the following response on the BBQ circuit this morning,

Good Morning! I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that the no carry in law is causing anyone. We are an existing business that holds a Class B Beer/Liquor license and we are required to follow the law about this. WI statute 125.32 (6) (a) states that no carry in's are allowed at any establishment holding an existing license. We will have beer and liquor for sale at reasonable prices in our concessions area and we are waiting for an answer back from the A & T Enforcement about the possibility of selling convenience packs (such as a case) with the license that we have. We did not realize that alcohol would become such a focus at our BBQ competition and I apologize for any confusion regarding this.

For beer we will sell glasses ($3), boots ($10-orginial (souvenir boot), $6-refill, pitchers ($13.00-original), $12 refill. We will have four types of beer. We also will have a bar selection available-specific types/prices have not been set.

INmitch
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
It's late & I probably shoudn't be posting but...............I just feel like I/we were takin advantage of. They knew this going in. This sh!t should have been posted on their website. Don't get me wrong I'm coming and competing & we"ll have a lot of fun. I'm looking foward to coming north for once & making some new friends. But I think I'll find a different WI venue for next year. I'm done ranting. See ya next month.

BigButzBBQ
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
The good news was last week I found out that they opened up 4 40'x40' spots, the bad news is the wife said being I am dumping so much money into building a new rig, no fundage for the competition. :mad2: I WANT IT ALL! :evil:

2Fat
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
kinda reminds me of a couple long gone Wisconsin contests--as far as the alcohol thing anyway(Madison '04)--we saw what happened at that 'festival'--weren't any forums around then to spread the news then!

Ron_L
04-23-2010, 07:03 AM
I sent the organizer an e-mail yesterday suggesting they give comp team an at cost price on beer. Here is what I received early this morning.

Good Morning! I thank you for your suggestion.

I posted the following response on the BBQ circuit this morning,

Good Morning! I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that the no carry in law is causing anyone. We are an existing business that holds a Class B Beer/Liquor license and we are required to follow the law about this. WI statute 125.32 (6) (a) states that no carry in's are allowed at any establishment holding an existing license. We will have beer and liquor for sale at reasonable prices in our concessions area and we are waiting for an answer back from the A & T Enforcement about the possibility of selling convenience packs (such as a case) with the license that we have. We did not realize that alcohol would become such a focus at our BBQ competition and I apologize for any confusion regarding this.

For beer we will sell glasses ($3), boots ($10-orginial (souvenir boot), $6-refill, pitchers ($13.00-original), $12 refill. We will have four types of beer. We also will have a bar selection available-specific types/prices have not been set.

What is this "BBQ Circuit" that she posted on? Nothing was posted here and I didn't see anything on the BBQ Forum.

INMitch, I agree that is should have been on their web site or on the application, not made available only after we paid our non-refundable entry fee.

If we don't find you first, please stop by our spot to say hello!

2Fat
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
, boots ($10-orginial (souvenir boot),]

well since they are souvenir boots may have to rethink my position<LOL>

BigButzBBQ
04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
What I don't understand is, 1. It's BBQ. and 2. It's Wisconsin! Why wouldn't they think that alcohol would be involved?

Coz
04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
OK I am moving forward here . We will host the 9:22 ceremony might be a little crowded inside the tents but we will try GJ and choco milk for the sissys like me who dont drink. I will be off the grid till tomorrow nite.I am off to pit bitch for Buzz at Pits and Spits in appleton where he is hosting a BBQ class.
By the way if some one wants to preach for the ceremony let me know.

Divemaster
04-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I just got an interesting phone call from the orginizer this morning basically asking what the hub-bub was.

I explained the best I could that 99.99% of the competitors are just straight shooters and would have liked this information before the entries were sent in.

She did say that her hands were tied when it came to bringing in booze for consumption. She is trying to get a temp license to sell by the case/6 pack at cost.

To be honest, I have to give her credit. She is trying to be as accomidating as she can under the rules that she has been given and seems willing to work with everyone.

OK I am moving forward here . We will host the 9:22 ceremony might be a little crowded inside the tents but we will try GJ and choco milk for the sissys like me who dont drink. I will be off the grid till tomorrow nite.I am off to pit bitch for Buzz at Pits and Spits in appleton where he is hosting a BBQ class.
By the way if some one wants to preach for the ceremony let me know.

As of right now, ChambersUAC is going to be there... Maybe he can come up with something...

Peteg
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah Dive, I agree with ya there. Though I'm not thrilled about some small details regarding this contest, I do believe that the miscommunications were an honest mistake. My impression of Tanya, is actually very good overall. She always replies promptly, and she is trying to work with us where she can. I’m sure they’ll have some other Snafu’s along the way, but if this is all it is, I’ll be all right with it. I mean lets be real, who’s not gonna have a bottle of something hidden in a plastic bottle somewhere. I don’t regret signing up for this one, because I believe this has the potential to be one of the biggest contests in Wisconsin. If it does go well, there’s a lot of money in the Dells that could really grow this contest.

Pete G.

Smokin' Joe
04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah Dive, I agree with ya there. Though I'm not thrilled about some small details regarding this contest, I do believe that the miscommunications were an honest mistake. My impression of Tanya, is actually very good overall. She always replies promptly, and she is trying to work with us where she can. Iím sure theyíll have some other Snafuís along the way, but if this is all it is, Iíll be all right with it. I mean lets be real, whoís not gonna have a bottle of something hidden in a plastic bottle somewhere. I donít regret signing up for this one, because I believe this has the potential to be one of the biggest contests in Wisconsin. If it does go well, thereís a lot of money in the Dells that could really grow this contest.

Pete G.

Very well said Pete! I totally agree. Thanks for speaking with her Dive, I think it will all be fine in the end...its just 7UP in my red cup:becky::icon_shy

Divemaster
04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, I just got another email from Tanya...

Good Afternoon! I hope everyone is doing well!

I know there have been a lot of questions about the beer carry in restrictions. We have gotten it approved that we can sell convenience packs (cases) of beer to the competition teams. We will ask that you still do use discretion with the beer and of course the KCBS rules regarding serving of the public (not allowed) will still apply. The beer cans will be allowed in the competition area only and will not be allowed in the activity portion/band area/main tent/etc. of the festival. We will not be selling cans of beer to any of the public attendees.

To purchase the beer, please ask when you arrive and check in, if you would like it right away. Otherwise, you can ask at the concessions stand and it will be delivered to your site. Beer can only be purchased (as a convenience pack) between 8:00 am and 9:00 pm. So please make all of these purchases prior to 9:00 pm. After 9:00 pm, we will still be able to sell beer at our concessions area in a per glass/per boot/per pitcher basis. We can only accept cash, but there is an ATM on the festival grounds.

We will be selling cases (24 cans) of:

Budweiser
Bud Light
Bud Light Lime
Busch Light

The cost will be $18.00 per case.

Please feel free to call or email if you have any questions about this or anything else. I am happy to help!

Thanks,
Tanya

Again, I feel a need to applaud her :clap2::clap2::clap2: in her attempts to accommodate us. If you need to contact her, the email address is thanson@dellsknuckleheads.com (http://email06.secureserver.net/webmail.php?login=1#).

Now if they could just add Shiner to the list of beers... LOL

Ron_L
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I suppose they are trying to accommodate us, but $18 for a case of Bud products? Ouch! I guess that's better than $3 a beer...

Just to give us something else to talk about...

I went to their site to see what else is going that weekend and I noticed that they have a band playing until 1AM on Saturday morning! I sure hope we're not close to the stage! I need my pellet sleep! :-D

Harmony BBQ
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Finally, something I know a little about......$18 is the going rate in southern WI for 24 packs of Bud products, might be a little steep for Busch Light.

Divemaster
04-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Finally, something I know a little about......$18 is the going rate in southern WI for 24 packs of Bud products, might be a little steep for Busch Light.
So, does that mean that you're going to stop by????

One Arm Bandit
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I think Tanya has found a good solution. $18 bucks is a reasonable price.

Harmony BBQ
04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
So, does that mean that you're going to stop by????

Sorry Dive, can't make it to this one. May is some of the best walleye fishing of the year in WI and I'll be up north doing what I can to catch a few. Definitely will miss seeing everyone.
Mike

Divemaster
04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Sorry Dive, can't make it to this one. May is some of the best walleye fishing of the year in WI and I'll be up north doing what I can to catch a few. Definitely will miss seeing everyone.
Mike

Well, there is always Poorque - Princeton WI (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75530)

smknwhlswife
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
We thought about doing this contest until we realized it was the same weekend as the GAB. GAB is only 5 mins from our house and it is our first year being able to cook the Invt. But we thought it would've been great for the girls with all the activities up there. Maybe next year.

Divemaster
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
We thought about doing this contest until we realized it was the same weekend as the GAB. GAB is only 5 mins from our house and it is our first year being able to cook the Invt. But we thought it would've been great for the girls with all the activities up there. Maybe next year.
Dang Kim! I would have been GREAT to see you guys!!! :mad:

PimpSmoke
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I saw nothing in any entry packets or otherwise about this beer carry in thing. You guys know me, I would rather drink my own pee than pay for BMC products. I might have to talk to her about getting my entry back.

Sucks pretty bad since I secured a sponsor, but this can't bring in beer so we can make money chit doesn't sit well with me.

IMO, if they don't sell it there, they have no right to tell me I can't bring it.(edit, yes I guess they do) This is pretty much BS.(edit, still farked)

Or I could just go, cook and if I get DQ'ed for this, at least they'll remember me!

PimpSmoke
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
As much as it pisses me off, I can deal. Can't say I'll be making it on the calendar for next year though.

It started with the telling me when I can arrive and leave thing, which I thought was just a "suggestion" and not really serious, and now this. The whole thing kinda chafed my nuts from the beginning, so.

Whatever.

Divemaster
04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm sure that we can get some one to put some lotion on that chaffing.... Let's see... You helped PeteG out, I think it's time for payback... lol

Glad to hear you're still going to be there bro...

PimpSmoke
04-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Just because it pisses me off I had to look up the quoted statute, which in my line of work I have become good at unfortunately.

Wisconsin State Statutes 132.(6) a;

(6) LIMITATIONS ON BEVERAGES ON WHOLESALE AND RETAIL
PREMISES. (a) Except as provided in s. 125.33 (2) (o) or (12) or
125.70, and subject to par. (c), no person may possess on the premises
covered by a retail or wholesale fermented malt beverages
license or permit any alcohol beverages not authorized by law for
sale on the premises.

"not authorized by law for sale on the premises"

Are we going to be chuggin' shine or what? last I checked if they're selling beer, it's legal, so what's the issue?

I hate when people quote statutes that mean nothing of their point.

Anyway, that is all.

Peteg
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure that we can get some one to put some lotion on that chaffing.... Let's see... You helped PeteG out, I think it's time for payback... lol

Glad to hear you're still going to be there bro...

Not cool dude. Funny, but not cool. I was wondering how long it was gonna take pimp to roar about this rule. That boy can drink.

PimpSmoke
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Guess it'll be natural cane sugar Jones Sodas for me.

On a side note, I heard wanna be home brewers can be a-holes sometimes.

Divemaster
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I just talked with Peteg... He wants to know if you still want lotion?

PimpSmoke
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
No, we sell this at my part time place of employment;

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/26817744/122_0907_04_z+gear_moto_medicine+anti_monkey_butt_ power.jpg

It should be up to the task, no lotion required.

Divemaster
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Damn, and I know how much he was looking forward to helping you out... I'm sure that he is going to be very, VERY disappointed....:wink:

Brew-B-Q
04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I think the unloading time is a bigger deal than the booze. It's a lot easier to hide your booze than hide when you're leaving. Both crappy rules, but I would not be worried about getting busted by the alcohol police. Just be discreet.

BigButzBBQ
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Even though I'm not going to be competing, I still took the time off for the contest, it looks like we have to get home early on Saturday but, was wondering the probability of meeting up with some of the Brethren Friday night, know it is going to be hectic but figured it's worth asking.

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Even though I'm not going to be competing, I still took the time off for the contest, it looks like we have to get home early on Saturday but, was wondering the probability of meeting up with some of the Brethren Friday night, know it is going to be hectic but figured it's worth asking.
I don't have a problem with it, hell, I expect it on Friday!:thumb:!:thumb:!:thumb:!

Actually, Saturday is our hectic time...

PimpSmoke
05-12-2010, 02:07 PM
No guarantees how many people I will be entertaining that particular evening, (more than likely just me) but stop on by and say hello, you're welcome anytime!

BigButzBBQ
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't have a problem with it, hell, I expect it on Friday!:thumb:!:thumb:!:thumb:!

Actually, Saturday is our hectic time...

I know Saturday is even worse but, some are in a whilrwind to get camp set up and what not, then there are always the small group gatherings, well, you get the idea. :laugh:

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I know Saturday is even worse but, some are in a whilrwind to get camp set up and what not, then there are always the small group gatherings, well, you get the idea. :laugh:
We are planning on getting up there mid to late morning so we'll have plenty of time to sit back and relax...

Ron_L
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
We're also planning on arriving mid to late morning also, so we'll be setup by early afternoon at the latest, depending on who we stop to talk to :-D

Try to track us down! We have some short busy periods on Friday but also enough time to socialize.

Peteg
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Just received this e-mail from Tanya:

Good Afternoon! Recently there have been some questions on the prize payout for the Dells BBQ Bash & State BBQ Championship. I wanted to clarify this for everyone. Prior to the 90 day requirement, we submitted a cash & prize breakdown to the KCBS. We also posted it in 5 public spots, as were required by the KCBS. We were not aware of any problems or concerns until May 10th, 10 days prior to our competition. We do have sponsors for our event and they have generously provided us with gift cards in lieu of cash. We did not intend to mislead anyone in our amount of cash & prizes. Our total cash & prize payout was just over $10,000.00. Due to the concern, we have voluntarily decided to change our prize breakdown. This additional money will not be coming from any sponsors, Buffalo Phil’s Grille will be paying this in full. We have decided to withdraw our gift cards, trophies and ribbon dollar amounts out of the prize fund for the KCBS Sanctioned portion of the competition. In the KCBS sanctioned portion of the competition there will be NO gift card distribution. We will be distributing exactly $10,000 in cash for the four categories and the overall awards of the four categories.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Tanya

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Just received this e-mail from Tanya:

Good Afternoon! Recently there have been some questions on the prize payout for the Dells BBQ Bash & State BBQ Championship. I wanted to clarify this for everyone. Prior to the 90 day requirement, we submitted a cash & prize breakdown to the KCBS. We also posted it in 5 public spots, as were required by the KCBS. We were not aware of any problems or concerns until May 10th, 10 days prior to our competition. We do have sponsors for our event and they have generously provided us with gift cards in lieu of cash. We did not intend to mislead anyone in our amount of cash & prizes. Our total cash & prize payout was just over $10,000.00. Due to the concern, we have voluntarily decided to change our prize breakdown. This additional money will not be coming from any sponsors, Buffalo Phil’s Grille will be paying this in full. We have decided to withdraw our gift cards, trophies and ribbon dollar amounts out of the prize fund for the KCBS Sanctioned portion of the competition. In the KCBS sanctioned portion of the competition there will be NO gift card distribution. We will be distributing exactly $10,000 in cash for the four categories and the overall awards of the four categories.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Tanya

Interesting....

So much more to say but I'll keep my mouth closed over the fact that they are taking in almost $14,000 in just entrance fees...

Good thing I didn't say that out loud...

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, just got an email from Tanya regarding a map/layout of the site. Looks like a lucky time for me...

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! Currently you are in spot 13, but this is subject to change. You will be provided with a layout upon arrival.

I am looking forward to meeting you next week.

Thank you,

Tanya

BigButzBBQ
05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
To me it almost sounds like they are taking back even the trophies and ribbons :laugh: Kind of an "if all you people care about is money then that's all you get". :rofl:

Oh, well, hope to be there and meet some great people, I'll most likely be the one wandering around like a lost puppy with one of our sauce shirts on.

Ron_L
05-12-2010, 04:16 PM
To me it almost sounds like they are taking back even the trophies and ribbons :laugh: Kind of an "if all you people care about is money then that's all you get". :rofl:

I don't think that's it. In the breakdown that they posted on their web site late last week they had included the cost of the trophies and ribbons in to total payout amount. That is not typically done. So it sounds like they have taken that cost out of the prize pool amount.

I'm glad that they have decided to change this and am planning on making the most of the competition. i am curious, however, what 5 public places the prize breakdown was posted. I haven't seen anything on any of the major BBQ forums, just on their web site.

Also, Pete, did you request info from the organizers? Is that why you received that e-mail? i haven't received anything e-mails from them over the past couple of days.

Peteg
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey Ron, I actually sent her an email questioning the gift cards on Monday. I just assumed that this was a mass email, I may be wrong though.

afreemaniii
05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Definitely wasn't a mass email. I didn't get any explanation from her on the prize breakdown. I agree with Ron, where did they post the breakdown?

BearCat
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I recieved the Email, however I have been emailing her for information on competitors since they filled up so perhaps they just sent to people that have been emailing.

Divemaster
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I didn't get one either and we had both emailed and spoke on the phone... Guess your special.....

manty_smoke
05-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Smoking Addiction BBQ will be there...looking forward to our first competition of the year and the debut of our new trailer. Our Iowa division of the team can't make it...but the team elders will carry on.

Smoking Addiction BBQ
Manitowoc, WI

FEC 100
Large Green Egg
22.5" Weber Performer

QN
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I will be there to judge or table captain. Hope to be able to meet all of you folks. I think this will be the first contest I have ever been to where they want judges to pay an admission. I received this email from Tanya. The "rest of the festival" is where the stage is located (awards), concessions, etc. Not sure if I want to pay $15 to visit with teams and attend the awards presentation. Any chance any of you might have an extra pass or wrist band or whatever they are doing for admittance for teams? I'd rather buy you an $18 case of beer than pay $15 just for admission.
There is a tent specific for the KCBS judging. You will have access to this tent. The rest of the festival does have an admission fee, if you choose to participate in that.

Ron_L
05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
I will be there to judge or table captain. Hope to be able to meet all of you folks. I think this will be the first contest I have ever been to where they want judges to pay an admission. I received this email from Tanya. The "rest of the festival" is where the stage is located (awards), concessions, etc. Not sure if I want to pay $15 to visit with teams and attend the awards presentation. Any chance any of you might have an extra pass or wrist band or whatever they are doing for admittance for teams? I'd rather buy you an $18 case of beer than pay $15 just for admission.
There is a tent specific for the KCBS judging. You will have access to this tent. The rest of the festival does have an admission fee, if you choose to participate in that.

I haven't seen any info on passes or wristbands for the teams. Has anyone?

One Arm Bandit
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
I e-mailed this afternoon asking about 3 of our team showing up mid morning and three more who are doing desert and chili early evening.
I asked if all entrances were covered under my entry fee. This is what I got back. Guess we can get into the comp area free but nothing else, unless I am reading this wrong.
! There will be an entrance for all the competitors and their guests to gain entrance to the competition area, there will not be a fee for you or your guests. The festival portion is separate.

Thanks,
Tanya

Coz
05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Wonder how much we have to pay to get to the awards?

QN
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Wonder how much we have to pay to get to the awards?

My understanding is that awards will be on the main stage and it is in the "pay" area. Tickets are $15 for a weekend pass or $10 for one day. Guess you might need a one day pass to get to awards? I have been following the threads and comments on this contest and so far it is pretty strange. I have been to over 140 comps in many different states and this one really tops them all, so far. (not in a good way) I'm glad I will be in the area for work any way and did not plan a special trip to get to this one. Still looking forward to meeting a lot of Brethren there.

Coz
05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
If we as competitors have to pay to go to the awards I would like to see them stop me from leaving.

Trainwreck
05-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Paying for awards today, lets see what tomorrow brings. What else can she do to us?

The Turk
05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Sounds like there doing just about everything wrong. The teams at MN this weekend were about in revolt over their rules. Looks like it may be a 1 year contest.

Smokin' Joe
05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
wow...the hits just keep coming. Thats $50 for our team (my family) to go to awards, no chance Mike and Theresa Lake will let this happen, right?

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Does anyone have any information that this is indeed the case? If not, I think there is a bit of speculation here. Based on other things, I expect.

I'm not jumping the gun just yet.

See everyone as they roll in! I'll be set up before Thursday night.:rain:

billm
05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Its the Dell's..im not surprised they are charging for everything :)

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Its the Dell's..im not surprised they are charging for everything :)

That's what I was getting at with "other things". They don't call it "Little Disney" for nothing!

tonto1117
05-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Shaking my head in disbelief :doh: :rolleyes:....will try to get some anwers today.

Peteg
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Tanya just confirmed that there will not be a charge to enter the awards for the bbq teams. Also, I noticed that they've updated the payout on their website. Looks a lot better now! Look forward to seeing everyone, Pete

Divemaster
05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I just got off of the phone with Tanya and here are the facts:

There is no charge for any of the parking.

There is no charge for entering the cooking sites

There is no charge for going to the awards ceremony.

On another note, along with the negativity around this competition, she told me that there have actually been threats to the staff and facility for this event. Please believe me that I’m as passionate about BBQ as the next person, but to threaten physical harm is way beyond me. Come on people, it’s only BBQ! Yes, there have been bumps in the road. Yes, mistakes were made. And yes, Tanya has ALWAYS tried to be understanding and flexible with every thing that has been presented to her, and yet, she has felt it necessary to inform the local police department and request additional security. THIS IS FARKING BULLSH!T!!! If you are that upset, please just don’t come.

I have told her that my site is to be considered a ‘Safe Zone’ where if any of her people feel in danger; they can come and stay with us. I’m sure this is the case with the rest of you.

Thank you for letting me rant a bit.

Peteg
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM

On another note, along with the negativity around this competition, she told me that there have actually been threats to the staff and facility for this event. Please believe me that Iím as passionate about BBQ as the next person, but to threaten physical harm is way beyond me. Come on people, itís only BBQ! Yes, there have been bumps in the road. Yes, mistakes were made. And yes, Tanya has ALWAYS tried to be understanding and flexible with every thing that has been presented to her, and yet, she has felt it necessary to inform the local police department and request additional security. THIS IS FARKING BULLSH!T!!! If you are that upset, please just donít come.

I have told her that my site is to be considered a ĎSafe Zoneí where if any of her people feel in danger; they can come and stay with us. Iím sure this is the case with the rest of you.

That's horrible if it's true. I agree with you 100% Dive. I know this is a hobby that we're all passionate about, but we all need to keep it in perspective. For what it's worth, I can't imagine that anyone on this forum was part of that.. I think we keep it real for the most part. Pete

Divemaster
05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
That's horrible if it's true. I agree with you 100% Dive. I know this is a hobby that we're all passionate about, but we all need to keep it in perspective. For what it's worth, I can't imagine that anyone on this forum was part of that.. I think we keep it real for the most part. Pete
I couldn't agree more.

Scottie
05-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Man, extra security... I am not sure I would even drink out of a red cup with them swarming the place...

Can someone post updates from the contest? Should make for good reading on my way home from the GAB.

WineMaster
05-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, This thread should get scrubbed. A whole lot of speculation has made this thread as toxic as the threads you read in the For The Board area. I,m sure it will be a good contest. Have fun, be safe and respect the organizers the same way we respect new members of this forum. They are Newbies, but ya have to start somewhere if the sport is gonna grow.

Just Sayin

Dan

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
If someone did make threats that a bunch of crap. Way to take everything overboard and make things MORE stressful for the teams competing.

I agree that I don't believe any teams represented here would do such a thing.

The Pimp House can also be a designated "safe zone". I'm a pretty big farker, and my gas has been known to knock down the biggest of thugs, bring it.:twisted:

chambersuac
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I like to think that the only thing a Brethren would hit at a contest would be a bottle...

2Fat
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
If someone did make threats that a bunch of crap. Way to take everything overboard and make things MORE stressful for the teams competing.

I agree that I don't believe any teams represented here would do such a thing.

The Pimp House can also be a designated "safe zone". I'm a pretty big farker, and my gas has been known to knock down the biggest of thugs, bring it.:twisted:

well iffen things get tough I know where to hide now---------

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
well iffen things get tough I know where to hide now---------

I've got a limited number of respirators, so get there early.:clap2:

Trainwreck
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM

On another note, along with the negativity around this competition, she told me that there have actually been threats to the staff and facility for this event. Please believe me that Iím as passionate about BBQ as the next person, but to threaten physical harm is way beyond me. Come on people, itís only BBQ! Yes, there have been bumps in the road. Yes, mistakes were made. And yes, Tanya has ALWAYS tried to be understanding and flexible with every thing that has been presented to her, and yet, she has felt it necessary to inform the local police department and request additional security. THIS IS FARKING BULLSH!T!!! If you are that upset, please just donít come.

I have told her that my site is to be considered a ĎSafe Zoneí where if any of her people feel in danger; they can come and stay with us. Iím sure this is the case with the rest of you.

Un friggin believable. Yea everything hasn't been real smoothe with this contest but for someone to actually threaten somebody over this. Those are the type of people that ruin it for the rest of us and dont belong in this sport at all. Consider it a safe zone by me as well. My snoring is enough to soothe anyone:wink:

Smokin' Joe
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
holy crap that is uncalled for....now I feel bad for Tanya for sure, I'm gonna do my best to show how great bbq folks are. I still disagree with how they handled things in some cases, but we are better than that and will make the best of it

The Turk
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I sent the organizer an e mail regarding something I heard last weekend at another contest. A individual who is a member (not head cook) of a BBQ team going down there was making some comments about their contest. I don't know this person very well but they sounded somewhat serious so I let them know. It may be this guy was just drunk but now a days who knows.

Divemaster
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I sent the organizer an e mail regarding something I heard last weekend at another contest. A individual who is a member (not head cook) of a BBQ team going down there was making some comments about their contest. I don't know this person very well but they sounded somewhat serious so I let them know. It may be this guy was just drunk but now a days who knows.
I fear we now need to always assume that they are serious... I would always rather error on the side of caution than put some one at risk.

The Turk
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I fear we now need to always assume that they are serious... I would always rather error on the side of caution than put some one at risk.

I have been told the team member in question, who was indeed intoxicated, will not be attending the contest.

Divemaster
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I have been told the team member in question, who was indeed intoxicated, will not be attending the contest.
Did you pass this information on to Tanya?

The Turk
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Did you pass this information on to Tanya?

Yes, regarding this guy, who has been confimred as a drunken loudmouth. I feel bad for the teams and reps and judges having to cook a contest where you don't know whats next. Good Luck All.

Coz
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Well with all of this stuff unfolding I am questioning having the 9:22 ceremony.As a couple folks have said in emails and phone calls do you want to risk a DQ .I would hate to think it would happen but I guess I am not willing to risk it.

Coz
05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Un friggin believable. Yea everything hasn't been real smoothe with this contest but for someone to actually threaten somebody over this. Those are the type of people that ruin it for the rest of us and dont belong in this sport at all. Consider it a safe zone by me as well. My snoring is enough to soothe anyone:wink:

Dude if you think your snoring is soothing you are a messed up individual. :crazy:

Divemaster
05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Well with all of this stuff unfolding I am questioning having the 9:22 ceremony.As a couple folks have said in emails and phone calls do you want to risk a DQ .I would hate to think it would happen but I guess I am not willing to risk it.
I hate to admit it, but I think you may be right... Bummer...

tonto1117
05-18-2010, 03:50 PM

Though it somewhat breaks tradition, there's nothing saying we can't get toghether and have a good luck shot of Apple juice.....:mod: :wink:....the sentiment is still the same.:thumb:

Peteg
05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
So this is what prohibition was like... I just learned about that on the History channel, "Story of us".. That show is cool. I guess we'll have to be on the dark side though, since we are the Smoke Syndicate.

SmokeNride
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds like I'll have to meet all you guys at some other competition, good luck to you all!

Bbq Bubba
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Though it somewhat breaks tradition, there's nothing saying we can't get toghether and have a good luck shot of Apple juice.....:mod: :wink:....the sentiment is still the same.:thumb:

You really think they'll DQ the whole group? I say screw em and stick with tradition.
YOU guys are the cooks, who without they'd have nothin. Whatever you do, do us proud. :thumb:

Coz
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

If I remember correct the last time I did Apple Juice it was bad so I will bring a gallon a choco milk? Also for Saturdays 4 pm bring your own whatever?

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Apple Juice + BBQ = Green Apple Splatters and possibly a REALLY big flame.

Take it from one who knows.

tonto1117
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
You really think they'll DQ the whole group? I say screw em and stick with tradition.
YOU guys are the cooks, who without they'd have nothin. Whatever you do, do us proud. :thumb:

Accept our money.....:becky:

If I remember correct the last time I did Apple Juice it was bad so I will bring a gallon a choco milk? Also for Saturdays 4 pm bring your own whatever?

Sounds good Coz.

Apple Juice + BBQ = Green Apple Splatters and possibly a REALLY big flame.

Take it from one who knows.

:shock:...Lmao......:-P

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 06:50 PM
:shock:...Lmao......:-P

This is my reference point for the last THE bash thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=291358&postcount=33)

tonto1117
05-18-2010, 07:03 PM
This is my reference point for the last THE bash thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=291358&postcount=33)

I remember reading that thread a few years back....good times I'm sure!! Have to wonder though...was that it really AJ in that spray bottle and not JD?:-P

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
I remember reading that thread a few years back....good times I'm sure!! Have to wonder though...was that it really AJ in that spray bottle and not JD?:-P

If it was, it was a lot of JD. It was in a half gallon sprayer!!!

OK, given it was a bash it coulda been, but if so Mary lied to me.

tonto1117
05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
If it was, it was a lot of JD. It was in a half gallon sprayer!!!

OK, given it was a bash it coulda been, but if so Mary lied to me.

Knowing "Mary" it very well could have been Cabo Wabo in those days!!!:becky:

PimpSmoke
05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Knowing "Mary" it very well could have been Cabo Wabo in those days!!!:becky:

Even though I want this one to die...you may be right!!

Coz
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Tonto,Being the 4 pm toast is for a member of your organisation would you or walt do the toast? We can do it at your site or ours? Otherwise maybe the fella that Dive is totin along can say a word or two.

Bud's BBQ
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Tonto,Being the 4 pm toast is for a member of your organisation would you or walt do the toast? We can do it at your site or ours? Otherwise maybe the fella that Dive is totin along can say a word or two.

Our site sounds good.
Coz, as we all know, Saturday at 4 Pm, we are tipping one for a great lady - Carol Alison. Please, all who wish, stop by the Smokin' Scotsmen site for a toast to Ford's wife.

Trainwreck
05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Coz, as we all know, Saturday at 4 Pm, we are tipping one for a great lady - Carol Alison. Please, all who wish, stop by for a toast to Ford' wife.

I will be there. Wouldn't miss it

Coz
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Our team will be there for sure.

Divemaster
05-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Our site sounds good.
Coz, as we all know, Saturday at 4 Pm, we are tipping one for a great lady - Carol Alison. Please, all who wish, stop by the Smokin' Scotsmen site for a toast to Ford's wife.
I'm not sure that Dan is still going to be there since he has to be back to 'work' Sunday morning (he was talking about leaving just after turn-in's).

I can tell you that all of the Stockcar team is going to be at the Scotsmen site to raise one in honor of Carol.