PDA

View Full Version : Well, I didn't get the gig...

thenewguy
02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I was too high. Here's what I had figured.
Lunch meal for 200 people, mostly men.
Pulled pork sandwich/ grilled chicken breast sandwich, 3 sides- bbq pit beans, cheezy potatoes and chilled pasta salad. They also requested a salad and dessert.
In my best calculations I bid the job at $12 per person.
I really don't think I was too high, although the local shane's rib shack(which is gawd awlful) has a price quoted on their website of "around $9 for the same amount of sides and meat. and that would NOT include salad and dessert.
Any thoughts?

landarc
02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I would see if you can find out why you didn't get the job. That being said, you can't win them all. I think your price would be something I could go for, $12 a head seems reasonable to me.

thenewguy
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
They had another bid that was a "couple of dollars cheaper". It also wasn't bbq, so that's fine by me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unrealistic in my pricing structure-I've been known to cook on the cheap!LOL!
I'll find out in a few weeks what they paid(my sis-in-law is on the board) so it'll be interestingto see how I fared.

BBQ Grail
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
If it's not all BBQ you can't compare for the sake of figuring it out. It's obvious they wanted food that was cheap.

big brother smoke
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
WOuld have been $17.99 here, but I mostly operate out of Ventura and Santa Barbara.

BBQ Grail
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
WOuld have been $17.99 here, but I mostly operate out of Ventura and Santa Barbara.

And they get to meet you?

CajunSmoker
02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm not a caterer, but I am a business owner. I learned a long time ago that if you get every job, your working to cheap. Chalk it up to experience and get working on your bid for the next job.:!:

landarc
02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
He uses white linen table cloths
http://simplymarvelousbbq.com/images/locations/elings.jpg

ThomEmery
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
You can't bid BBQ against Subway sammies

Chuckwagonbbqco
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Times are hard right now. Caterers are bidding very low. I was underbid on a dinner for Ducks Unlimited and I was underbid on a dinner for NRA. These are dinners that I have done for several years. My saying is "I have enough experience, I would like to make some money now."

Your bid seems to be in the right area---and the other bidder was not bidding BBQ. BBQ is more labor intensive than a deli putting together deli-meat sandwiches, a bag of chips and some "Little Debbie" desserts.

Do not get discouraged. Keep bidding honestly and work will come. I have bid BBQ tri-tip sandwiches,and the other bid tri-tip sandwiches but served something else--I guarantee that I will get the next job without bidding.

Keep your head up.

HoDeDo
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
It's tough on a gig that size... folks that have a restaraunt to put excess back into to churn out as a "special" or something... generally have a lower cost model.

Around here, I have seen that go for as cheap as $8 and as high as $15... depending on the organization buying. I would say with salad and dessert, you are as where you should be. someone doing it cheaper is giving them a packaged (Grandma's) cookie and some bulk sides that are going to be passable, but not memorable.

big brother smoke
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
And they get to meet you?

Yes, I hear my charm is a selling point!:biggrin:

big brother smoke
02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
He uses white linen table cloths
http://simplymarvelousbbq.com/images/locations/elings.jpg
'and green, red, brown, etc. :biggrin:

monty3777
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Next time!!

Captain Dave
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Sell the sizzle, not the steak. If that other guy was getting $9., you should get $14.

thenewguy
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys-I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't outta line.
I'll actually probably be attending the event now that I won't be needing to work it...should be interesting. I would rather not get the job, rather than get it and not make a profit-done that too many times in the past!

Bbq Bubba
02-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Never undersell yourself. You'll NEVER compete with rib joints like them because they mass produce cheap, crappy BBQ & make money on quantity vs quality.
Your gig would have been about $15.00 & that's P/U.

jbrink01
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't sweat it on 200. They'll get what they paid for!

C Rocke
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Don't sweat it on 200. They'll get what they paid for!

Exactly - That job is 17-19 bucks a head here in LA/OC all day.

I really worked to stop quoting large jobs "blind". I work to find out who all the decision makers are, schedule a meeting or at least a con call to understand what they really want, and deal with the price issue up front. Doesn't always work out or happen that way, but for me it's a way to minimize wasted time. I would rather have someone say "no" so I can move on to the next prospective client.

chambersuac
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes, I hear my charm is a selling point!:biggrin:

If you're as charming in person as you are online...well...at least your food is a selling point :eek::mrgreen::shock::-P:-P:-P

big brother smoke
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
If you're as charming in person as you are online...well...at least your food is a selling point :eek::mrgreen::shock::-P:-P:-P

BITE ME :tongue:

chambersuac
02-09-2010, 09:43 PM
BITE ME :tongue:

I would, but I hear you like that kinda thing :eek:
Just kiddin' with ya. I love ya, man.

grillfella
02-10-2010, 12:56 AM

You said it Big brother around these parts as well:-D

rbsnwngs
02-10-2010, 06:32 AM
your time is worth money

here on LI it would also be in that $17-$19 range

Bbq Bubba
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Um.....get a room?I would, but I hear you like that kinda thing :eek:
Just kiddin' with ya. I love ya, man.

southernsmoker
02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
$12 per person is a kiss for that food, their loss dude..

NRA4Life
02-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Bid sounds reasonable to me. They had a choice of quality food, or something that would just push a turd. They opted for the latter.

tony76248
02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
It's a tough business and as I have said before, it's tough to compete against restaurants who are turning and burning regardless of whether they get a specific gig.

If you need the money bid appropriately, but don't be sorry that you bid too low once you get the job. Hell you probably aren't gonna report the income anyway, that is worth 25-35% profit. Still decide what you are worth and bid appropriately.

All that said, cooking for 200 is a chore.

thenewguy
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
UPDATE...And all I could say was " Holy FARK"!
One on my insiders called me tonight and told me the scoop...The other bid for this job was also bbq, 2 meats, not sure about the sides,etc....for $7 dollars a person! WOW, I'm pretty sure I don't even want to eat that menu!
One of the board members was very reluctant to accept that bid because it was soo much cheaper. This outta be interesting.

Three porks
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
UPDATE...And all I could say was " Holy FARK"!
One on my insiders called me tonight and told me the scoop...The other bid for this job was also bbq, 2 meats, not sure about the sides,etc....for $7 dollars a person! WOW, I'm pretty sure I don't even want to eat that menu!
One of the board members was very reluctant to accept that bid because it was soo much cheaper. This outta be interesting.

Man doesn't that piss you off! I own a landscaping business and we get out bid by "low ballers" all the time. Don't worry though, they usually don't stay in business long! Like a previous poster stated, you get what you pay for....

landarc
02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Wow, $7 a person is McDonald's territory.

watertowerbbq
02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow, $7 a person is McDonald's territory.

That's what I was thinking. Big Mac value meal is $5.99 + tax!

Mike,
You might plan on stopping on your way home for bite to eat. :-D

jbrink01
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
$7.00.............Idiots.

landarc
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
That's what I was thinking. Big Mac value meal is $5.99 + tax!

Mike,
You might plan on stopping on your way home for bite to eat. :-D
I am not sure I would eat anything. :-P

Mlukewow
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
your bid is solid and looks great. with salads and sides I think you are right on. Keep bidding those folks are gonna be back becasue they get what they pay for. They may ahve gotten this job but they wont want it again. Value is Value and cheap is cheap .

armor
02-15-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm not a caterer, but I am a business owner. I learned a long time ago that if you get every job, your working to cheap. Chalk it up to experience and get working on your bid for the next job.:!:

couldn't have said it better.

Jerk Pit Master
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
There's food that will put a smile on your face, there's food worth eating, then there's probably what this guy was serving.

There are also some that offer much smalling serving sizes than the norm.

armor
02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Quality is like buying oats.
If you want good, clean oats
You must pay a fair price

However, if you are satisfied
with oats that have already
been through the horse...well,
They are a little cheaper.

BigBellyBBQ
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Remember the quote and next year when they ask, go up to 15..

watertowerbbq
02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
When was the event? Have they had it already?

Balls Casten
02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I’m not a biding caterer. But as a business owner who hirers a few. You are not always feeding people to impress. Sometimes you simply have them around long enough that you need to feed them to keep them there.

If I was biding, one of the first questions I would ask is what their budget is, what are they looking to accomplish with the meal?

In our business if someone tells me they have a cheaper price. I tell them “We have cheaper products too, is that what you are looking for?” Or “If I come up with a cheaper menu, will I get the job?” Put them on the spot.

This guy asked you for a specific menu, then changed what he was willing to except and didn’t give you the chance to re-quote.

You have to protect your name and you have to make money. But in this economy I wouldn’t be turning down any jobs. I would have a $7 meal to offer people. (OK, maybe not $7, but I would have something "less expensive" to offer)

thenewguy
03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
The event isn't until next month(mar) and a lot of the board members know the quality of what I serve-I throw a huge party every summer that quite a few of them attend.
They know what they're getting so it's not a big deal to me. The lack of good flavor will again hinder the group participation at next years event. The lack of quality food has been a thorn in their side I guess.
There's only one way to remedy that-pay up or shut up.
I don't have a problem with not getting the job, I just can't fathom why anyone would want to commit to a job that size for such a low amount to begin with.

pat
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear about the gig Mike! I have seen a certain bbq caterer in town who has very low prices. They are quite popular too...own a couple restaurants...but I ain't saying names! I guess they pump it out at high volumes so the cost is lower for em.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I think your prices were good. Think about the restauranteur, they are using a small bun, portioned meat and sides. Makes for less food. I did a catering for 100 and I tell you, I worked my azz off. Don't sell your time short.

grillfella
03-06-2010, 03:24 AM
I was too high. Here's what I had figured.
Lunch meal for 200 people, mostly men.
Pulled pork sandwich/ grilled chicken breast sandwich, 3 sides- bbq pit beans, cheezy potatoes and chilled pasta salad. They also requested a salad and dessert.
In my best calculations I bid the job at $12 per person.
I really don't think I was too high, although the local shane's rib shack(which is gawd awlful) has a price quoted on their website of "around $9 for the same amount of sides and meat. and that would NOT include salad and dessert.
Any thoughts?

I charge $12 for mesquite grilled carne asada tacos chicken tacos beans rice homeade corn tortillas fresh red and green salsas:-D

thenewguy
03-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Update...
Well the gig was yesterday, and my minions have reported back to me because I decided it best to not attend.
Apparently the food ran out before the people did, and someone (from the committee-not the caterer) went to 2 different places to get more food so that everyone was fed.
Needless to say I was fricken estatic.:becky:
The old saying is usually right-you get what you pay for.
As far as food flavors, the best that was reported was "it was ok, nothing special". Funny, I've never heard anyone say that one of our get togethers.

watertowerbbq
03-15-2010, 09:32 PM
They got what they deserved. The money they thought they were going to save by using this other guy evaporated when they had to go out and buy more food in a hurry.

moosesbbq
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Your pricing is good. Stay the course!

We have found that selling the smell and show of the cooking and cookout experience sometimes closes the deal.