PDA

View Full Version : Trailer nearly ready for pickup

Ford
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
A week today or tomorrow. I went down to see it yesterday. Still needs awnings installed and a couple of minor changes. 26' - 2 compartments for vending and cooking. Will hold 3 FE's, 2 artic air fridges and 1 freezer plus steam table and all the usual stuff like sinks, etc. I will probably need two weeks to finish the inside.

It's an Extreme BBQ trailer and the plant in IN is pretty cool shop with mainly Amish guys doing all the assembly from welding to interior finish. The quality is excellent and attention to detail is top shelf. James and I learned a few things on this like making sure we put switches on the final drawing before building. :biggrin:

Here's a little preview showing the beast. Sinks will be on this side. Door goes into the cooking area.

http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/trailerwh.jpg.w300h225.jpg

OutlawSwine
02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Looking good! Keep us posted with pics.

Capn Kev
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Great stuff Ford! Congrats on the new baby!

J_Don
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Bet you can't wait to get it completed. Looking forward to seeing it in Hammond. Maybe see ya in Little Rock and Mobile too! Best of luck with the completion.

big brother smoke
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Got me trailer jealous, Ford! I know you have more pics to tease us with, please share.:biggrin:

bbqbull
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Cant wait to see the finished trailer Ford.

Ford
02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Got me trailer jealous, Ford! I know you have more pics to tease us with, please share.:biggrin:
You mean like this?
http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/trailercurbside.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Bet this one raises some questions. So before you ask remember it's built more for event vending where space is sold by frontage usually.

Bbq Bubba
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
2 words for ya....
Jea Lous. :)

big brother smoke
02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
You mean like this?
http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/trailercurbside.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Bet this one raises some questions. So before you ask remember it's built more for event vending where space is sold by frontage usually.

Tease:biggrin::twisted:

getyourrubonbbq
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
My goodness, that is a NICE TRAILER.:icon_bigsmil

getyourrubonbbq
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Tease:biggrin::twisted:

Brother I can fix you up with a trailer as well.:-P

Ford
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
If anybody goes to Extreme for a trailer tell them Ford sent you. They are an indirect sponsor of my team and business and I will display a banner when I get it.

big brother smoke
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
:cool:Brother I can fix you up with a trailer as well.:-P

You very well may get the opportunity, after I fully recover from my divorce:mad:

It was worth it though:biggrin:

Bossmanbbq
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
If anybody goes to Extreme for a trailer tell them Ford sent you. They are an indirect sponsor of my team and business and I will display a banner when I get it.

IN talks with James right now about a trailer. PM me if you dont mind, might want to pick your brain on your build, might help me in putting mine together!

BigJimsBBQ
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I am proud for you Ford, nice rig. you just can't beat experiance for effient workflow layout.

CajunSmoker
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
James is a great guy and I know he would be super to work with. Just don't loan him any purple straps i've been told:biggrin:

getyourrubonbbq
02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
James is a great guy and I know he would be super to work with. Just don't loan him any purple straps i've been told:biggrin:

I'll never live that down:oops: I tried to repay them, but she wouldn't take just any ol' rope!

Ford
02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
IN talks with James right now about a trailer. PM me if you dont mind, might want to pick your brain on your build, might help me in putting mine together!
Look out James. I'll send you my phone number. Helped out another member already.

I am proud for you Ford, nice rig. you just can't beat experiance for effient workflow layout.
Been there and done that. I think this is actually going to work.

getyourrubonbbq
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Look out James. I'll send you my phone number. Helped out another member already.

Been there and done that. I think this is actually going to work.

I hear ya', but Bossman and I have been in talks since early last year. Hopefully this is his year to get one rolling.

tmcmaster
02-05-2010, 02:50 AM
That's a good looking trailer... Many kudos!

monty3777
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
That's a great rig!

Westexbbq
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Very nice, Ford.
That is a sweet rig and know you'll be very proud of it when all is done.
Nice going.

chambersuac
02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Ford, that trailer looks great. I am sure you will fill many happy bellies from it. Congrats!

beardjp
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice rig Ford. Are you coming to Nelsonville in October? I'll start working on space for it.

southernsmoker
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Very nice dude..

Ford
02-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice rig Ford. Are you coming to Nelsonville in October? I'll start working on space for it.
Won't know until I finalize my vending schedule. It's a maybe. The trailer ends up being about the same size as the old one with the ramp door down and the awning out. On this one the ramp door is on the side. Its 29'10" with the vending window closed and width with awning is the same.

Ford
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Tomorrow, tomorrow. It's only a day away. Should be sitting in my driveway tomorrow at this time. I sure hope there's no last minute problems.

sfisch
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Wow, nicely done Ford. Cant wait to see it this summer.

Scott

big brother smoke
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Tomorrow, tomorrow. It's only a day away. Should be sitting in my driveway tomorrow at this time. I sure hope there's no last minute problems.

You sound like the night before Christmas :biggrin:

I cannot wait either, Ford!

Dr_KY
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Brilliant idea on the frontage twist!! When the day arrives that we get a trailor I'll remember that as we put out some big cash last year for space.

monty3777
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey, Ford - some of us are living vicariously through you! Is that rig "home" yet??? :)

Ford
02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
It's home. And did I mention it's BIG! It's in the parking pad off my driveway and I could drive straight in and just swing it back. Can't believe it was that easy. But there may not be room to back it out with the snow banks. I may have to get my neoghbor's John Deere to swing it out so I can hook up. Won't be a problem once the snow banks are gone.

Now the real work starts. Building counters, installing sinks, smokers and everything else. Still have to order a fridge and freezer, steam table and new sinks.

I should be pretty busy for the next few weeks.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
What, no pics of the new baby yet???? Figured we would have some by now.... :rolleyes:

getyourrubonbbq
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
It's home. And did I mention it's BIG! It's in the parking pad off my driveway and I could drive straight in and just swing it back. Can't believe it was that easy. But there may not be room to back it out with the snow banks. I may have to get my neoghbor's John Deere to swing it out so I can hook up. Won't be a problem once the snow banks are gone.

Now the real work starts. Building counters, installing sinks, smokers and everything else. Still have to order a fridge and freezer, steam table and new sinks.

I should be pretty busy for the next few weeks.

And just think Ford, we got it done a week ahead of time for you. I hope you enjoy it sir! I'll be looking for you at some events this year.

Ford
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
What, no pics of the new baby yet???? Figured we would have some by now.... :rolleyes:
Just the ones I already posted. It's going to be a mess until everything is installed. Work starts in earnest Monday although I'll be doing drawings and getting materials thsi weekend around the races.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Please remember to show some work in progress.. we like pics, but if you forget, I understand as I do that a lot lately.... :rolleyes: It looks good so far, can't wait to see it in action....

big brother smoke
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
One word: Tease :biggrin:

southernsmoker
02-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Good Luck... best way to do it DIY..

big brother smoke
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Ford must be working on the trailer, I will try and be patient:rolleyes:

Ford
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/image_078.jpg.w300h225.jpg
Front - Battery with DC power panel in the trcuk box. And look at the grea job my neighbor did with his John Deere clearing a spot to park it.

http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/image_080.jpg.w300h225.jpg
You can clearly see the side stage door plus the 10' awning. All black is way cool.

http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/image_081.jpg.w300h225.jpg
Close up of stage door. Not the brackets right near the top to attach the legs. James has some great ideas on this stuff.

http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/image_083.jpg.w300h225.jpg
Back vending window, side door and the 15' awning. All the water connections and water heater are here. Dump for grey tank on the other side.

Probably won't have inside pictures until sometime next week. Need to get power out to it and a few other things. FYI I have a charger for the nattery that plugs in and can charge whenever we're hooked up to shore power. So if I sit for 10 days at a fair no problem.

getyourrubonbbq
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Looking good Ford!! I like the way the awnings blend in as well.

Ford
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Looking good Ford!! I like the way the awnings blend in as well.
My neighbor is a gear head kind of guy, restoring an early 70's camero now and he looked at the trailer and his first comment was those awnings are cool.

And for everybody thinking of building a trailer make sure to specify where the vent stack goes if have them install the water system. About the only thing James and I didn't think of. It's about 5" wide by 3 1/8" deep. I'll be notching out around it. And it is required in most places if you want to vend.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Nice looking so far... can't wait to see the layout and ready to go to work...

Remember, pics as you go along would be nice, but not madatory... :rolleyes:

bam
02-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow that's very nice Ford. James when I grow up I want one just like Ford.:-D

getyourrubonbbq
02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow that's very nice Ford. James when I grow up I want one just like Ford.:-D

Bam, all you got to do is let me know brother when you're ready!!

Ford
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Should hopefully be here tomorrow. I already have 3 FEC100's, an Artic Air Fridge, 4'x18" ss shelving unit and 3' ss tableand hand sink.

From Restaurant Equippers I will be getting another Artic Air fridge (lg0023), Freezer (lg0022), 3 compartment bar sink (ag1833), 4 well LP steam table (300304), shelf for steam table (304604), 3' SS table (kj4236), 4' ss table (kj4248 ) and 4 pans for the table. I'm sure the hard core caterers and vendors know what this stuff looks like but others can have fun looking it up at http://www.equippers.com/

Now this means when it get's here I have to move it from the driveway to the trailer so there's a chance for more pictures soon.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Where do you vend at? That is a serious setup! I would love to see that in action. Do you have pics of your old set up? Signage?

KC_Bobby
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Ford, I love the frontside stage door. However, for vending how is that going to work if you park with your rear to the foot traffic. Won't you're stage door be in the next person's space if you are only buying a 10' wide space? (Or maybe I should read the thread to see if that's addressed - I see you can get away with purchasing about 18' of width rather then 30')

That's cool!

Ford
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Where do you vend at? That is a serious setup! I would love to see that in action. Do you have pics of your old set up? Signage?

I plan to do a few fairs (hopefully not longer than 7 days, plus some contests in MI plus local festivals 2-3 days on weekends. And I should do a Tues - Thurs market gig and maybe have a Wed gig at a good intersection by my house.

Will need to do a new frame setup for the signs and will be doing a new sign with the new logo.

http://home.netcom.com/~alisonf/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/trailervending.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Ford, I love the frontside stage door. However, for vending how is that going to work if you park with your rear to the foot traffic. Won't you're stage door be in the next person's space if you are only buying a 10' wide space? (Or maybe I should read the thread to see if that's addressed - I see you can get away with purchasing about 18' of width rather then 30')

That's cool!

I'll neeed to buy 18 or 20 as most here sell in 10' increments. But I need the ventalation and I plan to put a couple of tables with chairs under the front awning and the stage door can hold the gas grill and a table. that's so I can vend burgers or dogs or whatever.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Went from a nice set up to a super nice set up

HBMTN
02-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Can't wait to see the inside Ford, Congrats!

Ford
02-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Getting things done. Here's a couple of pics of the cooking compartment. I still haveto build the screen wall (this week) and get it in to HVAC for smoke stacks. Screen wall is interesting with the door wires but I think we have 2 design options and I need to make a decision today.
http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/2/6/2/1622622/images/image_092.jpg

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/2/6/2/1622622/images/image_094.jpg

And here's on of the vending area with fridge, counters and steam table. Still need to build stand for the carlisles over the wheel wells and add a shelf. The other side is for the sinks and water heater and won't be finished until I see the plumber next week. It is a triple panel vending window But the third one is behind the fridge for ventalation only.
http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/2/6/2/1622622/images/image_097.jpg

getyourrubonbbq
02-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Looking good Ford.

big brother smoke
02-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Loving it, Ford!

Jacked UP BBQ
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Awesome trailer and set up! My only question I have is if you serve out of the window, if so, do feel you will be able to pump out high volume out of there?

Ford
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Should be able to average 1 customer per minute or less with 2 people. I can only cook so much food to sell in a day. 60 per hourX10 hours = 600 customers at 1 item each $5-10 = average about 4K. Some will take meals. I could take out the fridge and add a second vendor if I wasn't selling pop and water. It would only take 3 minutes to put the fridge on the stage door. Could setup another table. The real slowdown is preparing the meal. Hard to get 2 people working the steam table.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Numbers sound good, I try and always run two lines, crowd permitting, and we set up outside and cook out of the trailer. I just feel the work space is much easier on the outside. We run double lines (when possible) and can do about 80-90 customers an hour per line. Do you pre cook anything? What about a convention oven?

Jacked UP BBQ
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I added a few extra zeros up top and had to change them whoops!

Ford
02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Once we have a trailer in MI we must serve out of it to get the yearly STFU license. If you don't have a trailer just a smoker you can still get the STFU and use EZUP's. Otherwise we need temp event licenses for each event. So 40 events a year = 4k+ in fees vs. a yearly fee of $140 (last year anyway). So I serve from the trailer.

I do precook but reheat in smoker. Suppose if things get better I could add a convection oven and roll it out to the stage gate.

KC_Bobby
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Ford, I read you've nearly got this thing licensed - you got any updated pics of the inside? I'd love to see a close up of the water tank hook ups etc.

thanks

Ford
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Most of the water is a tangled maze and part is under the floor. The sinks cover most of the drain. Took me a long time to figure it out and then the Plumber who did the final hookups told me how it worked (he thought) and it was what took me days to figure out. This setup works with a gas water heater installed at the factory and factory installed fresh and waste tanks and with both pump supplied water and the option of city water hookup. That's what makes it fun. If it's just pump supplied it's easy to hookup water. I did it myself on the old trailer.

I'm way to tired to take pics. It now has stacks out the roof in 3 places. Right now they are straight 5" T's and haven't been painted yet. Maybe in April. The screen wall is built over the stage door and the screen door will be hung tomorrow. Trust me whwn I say it's fun to design around the cables. I still need some innertube to patch the area the cables run in. Gas is all connected and tested the steam table and it works.

Now the cool news. Weather next week early calls for lows in mid 30's and highs in mid 40's to 50. And I leave for the South Wed morning so I have the HD coming Monday to do a final inspection. So long as we really did hook up the water right we're golden.

If I don't get pics before Mobile I guess we'll take some then. Hopefully my Brethren helpers will show up with cameras and be able to take some pics.

bbqbull
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Im sure the HD inspector will give you a full pass Ford!

Have a safe trip!

big brother smoke
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Safe travels, Ford! We can wait on the pics.

(I really cannot, but know you are tired, lol)

Ford
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Another full day. Maybe I'll get some more pics Saturday when I cook some brisket. The trailer is done except for shelves that may not go in until after my trip. The screen wall is great. Built to withstand a hurricane as my neighbor likes to make things that are secure. Short of walking into the screen or putting a fist thru it it will last longer than the trailer.

Not able to paint until sometime down south or when I get back here in April. Either black or grey outside and white inside. I'll take suggestions at the contests. Tomorrow - clean a fridge stored for the winter, put shelves in new ones and start loading for the trip. Note to self remember the pellets.

big brother smoke
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
What flavor tree turds you rolling with, Ford?

Ford
03-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I get them from Fast Eddy. Had real success with them.

sfisch
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
One heck of a setup Ford, can't wait to see it in action this summer.

Scott

Bbq Bubba
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Lookin good Ford. Makes my rig look puny. :cool:

udoughguy
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Can't wait to see your rig in action. You must be excited to get started on the Maiden Voyage. Best wishes and see you this summer.