PDA

View Full Version : food for thought.

Mo-Dave
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Moderators feel free to move. I just watch a program that payed out 50000.00 for first place and 10000.00 for first in an alternative burger. Grills were furnished and I am thinking most other equipment as well like tents, tables sinks ect. I am sure they brought most if not all ingredient but not sure about that.

Guess what I am trying to say is WTF is up with that and why can't there be anything even close to this for competition bbq? What are we doing wrong here?

Ok I feel somewhat better now, NOT. :mad:
Dave

uziel5000
02-01-2010, 07:57 AM
You know, I was pondering the same thing. Down here in Puerto Rico the entry fee includes a tent and the the meats (which you can use or buy your own) so basically all you bring is tables, cookers and ingredients. I was wondering how KCBS and the others handled that type of thing.

Lake Dogs
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
To do something like this takes big time money, up front. 99% of the existing comps
would go away. The remaining 1% would be televised. Otherwise, no way.

TN_BBQ
02-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I think there are a couple comps that do have 5 figure (>$10K) GC checks.

If it were a winner take all setup, then a lot of BBQ comps. would pay 5 figures.

I also think the burger comp was an invitational and they qualified.

Alexa RnQ
02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
I just watch a program
There are the magic words right there.

How many burger invitationals like this are there? Are they held every week throughout a nine-month long season? Are there in excess of four thousand competing burger teams? Really? What about the cake shows like that?

I can see pulling together a promotional event like that for TV, because the dollars are there if those who spend it think that burgers are a hook for enough of their targeted demographic. Hell, everybody's cooked a burger or a cake.

It's a different thing altogether to create enough pull for a season's worth of events like that, in what is admittedly a niche cuisine.

Podge
02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I'll tell ya why.. it's because someone wanted to throw a ton of money at a burger contest. Just need to hope that someone will want to throw that kind of money at a bbq contest that will equal that pay, and publicity. It's up to a corporation or a wealthy individual.

Spydermike72
02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I believe one of the wineries in California bank rolled that Burger comp....

Scottie
02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I'll tell ya why.. it's because someone wanted to throw a ton of money at a burger contest. Just need to hope that someone will want to throw that kind of money at a bbq contest that will equal that pay, and publicity. It's up to a corporation or a wealthy individual.

Like LP Que....

Mo-Dave
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
All of you make some good points. Guess I am a little perturbed because they must conduct some kind of contest probably regional affairs kind of like Idol does to select its finalist that go on to the big show. But for the life of me I have never heard any mention about anything like these shows even looking for contestants for such things. From time to time I have seen other shows with items like cookies, pies and steak. Guess I am out of the loop which of course I probably should not be in anyway.
Dave

crd26a
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
It's like most of the challenges they have, they're sponsored by a big name (Sutterhome I believe did that one), usually have a large, open pool of people that submit a recipie, and then they choose the best recipies and have them cook off on those. Its not much different than the Kingsford chase this year if you think about it, cook the kingsford ones and bang, big pay day if you do well (or possibly show up to all of them). Its all a part of the game, we just choose to accept how small town USA comp does theirs. Why? Because they tend to be the most fun