PDA

View Full Version : Taking my bbq from hobby to business

bige39
01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Evening Brother's,
I am currently working taking my bbq vending and catering company from a hobby into business. This economy has forced me to move further along then I anticipated. I am enrolled in a business management class helping develope my business chops and put together a business plan. in this class I have been asked some questions I need to turn to my brothers for help on. I would appreciate any and all help you can give me. Thanks guys
Big "E"
Big E's Southern "Q"
www.bigesouthernq.vpweb.com
bigesouthernq.gmail.com

1. How did you get into the business?
2. what is a typical day like in your business?
3. what was the biggest surprice you learned after you started your business
4. if you had to start your business again, what would do differently

sdb25
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
This thread is probably better in the "catering" forum, and probably get some good answers there.

Ford
01-31-2010, 11:25 AM
1. lost my job and decided to follow my dream.

2. no such thing as a typical day in vending/catering. Sometimes work all night, sometimes up at 4 and work until 10 pm. Sometimes have a week with nothing to do but clean the trailer and equipment (no cash flow then). One thign for sure it is hard work but if you enjoy with cooking and talkign with people it can be satisfying.

3. not really sure there was a big surprise. I had my eyes open when I started and talked with people doing this for years before taking the plunge.

4. start part time while I still had a job. my savings would be in better shape.

barbefunkoramaque
01-31-2010, 11:52 AM
One way to make a small fortune in the BBQ biz is to start with a LARGE fortune.

JD McGee
01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Still workin' on it here...my biggest hurdle (besides money) is finding a certified prep kitchen to cater out of. Most folks want 500.00 to 1000.00 per month guaranteed in writing. I've tried bartering with Q, shared profits, hell...I've even offered to help re-model one joint (his dime...my labor)...no luck. So for now I'm just doing private gigs on weekends spread by word of mouth. Good luck! :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
1. Out of work and no hope of a job. (Michigan mod)

2. No such thing as a typical day vending. Some days your the bug, some days your the windshield. Every catering job is unique in it's own way.

3. No surprises, did my homework.

4. Things i'd do differently? Couldn't say anything.
I've learned a TON since starting last summer but mostly things that just make the job easier. ie...working smarter.

I always ask but never get a response from anybody...

Why a business plan for vending/catering? No bank in the world is gonna give you a loan and theres no way to forsee how a vending gig or roadside stand will do until you do it. It's really a gamble starting something like we do. You have to be prepared to put out the best possible product, consistently, for the masses and hope you catch good crowds.

bige39
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Guy's I thank you all for your responses very helpful. I see several times that there were no real surprises and that like me had no chose but to make a this BBQ work. Again thank You