PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wrap Pricing

Diva Q
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I have been quoting some trailer wrap prices this week and they seem really high upwards of $2400.00 for a 17 ft comp trailer.

Can any of you give me an idea what trailer wraps in your areas go for.

TOPS BBQ
01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Wow! I'll have to confirm, but a buddy of mine had his van wrapped for I believe $1,700.00 It's a mini-van, so the size difference between one and 17-foot trailer could be the reason for the up-charge. I'll check.

Rightstuff
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180307859604&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

His feedback is EXCELLENT and has repeat customers. I've been talking with him about our trailer.

Grafixgibbs
01-26-2010, 03:17 PM
That's about what it costs in our area too. it includes the install.

Rightstuff
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I forgot to mention it would be a self install; or go to your local window tinting shop and see if they could help you. You can also check out youtube for DIY vinyl wrap projects. It would definetely save some money in the long run.

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Wrap prices vary depending on material. I've seen bad wraps because they were cheap. You get what you pay for. My 18' trailer (excludes deck) was quoted as roughly $5,000. That includes art.

You don't have to do a full wrap.

Diva Q
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks all I appreciate the help !

CivilWarBBQ
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Wraps are expensive - to buy and to repair! Living at the end of a mile-long gravel road with many intruding tree limbs we decided to go with simpler cut vinyl for our trailer. We had our logo put on three sides for about $800, and if a section is damaged we only have to replace that small area, not entire wrap panels.

Certainly it's not as dramatic as a full color trailer wrap, but it works for us.

auxierr@bellsouth.net
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I am in the sign business and that price is very close to a price here.

A van runs from $1,500 to $2,000 based on the number of windows covered which costs more than standard Auto Vinyl. If you get a lower price, watch out for cheap vinyl and no laminate.

Slamdunkpro
01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I do wraps. There is a wide variety of vinyls and materials out there with a wide variety of costs. Depending on how often your trailer / vehicle is on the road, you may decide that a less expensive / durable material is OK for you.

Materials are less of the expense of a wrap than the labor, a good wrap takes time to prep the vehicle and apply the vinyl correctly. Like Plowboy said, you get what you pay for.

As far as pricing, $2400 for a full wrap in a 17x8x6 trailer with riveted panels is pretty good. $2400 for a side wrap on a 17x6x5 cargo with smooth fiberglass sides is a little high. Every wrap is different.

If you want to know more or have other questions feel free to ask!

Hotrodhog
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
I got a Astro Van and a 14 foot trailer wrapped in 3 m material for $ 3,500.00
But then again, they not in business anymore. Lol.

This Is How We Que It
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Could ask your local area rappers.

Bbq Bubba
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
I have been quoting some trailer wrap prices this week and they seem really high upwards of $2400.00 for a 17 ft comp trailer.

Can any of you give me an idea what trailer wraps in your areas go for.

You don't have a vehicle wrap sponsor yet? :twisted:

HoDeDo
01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Diva - talk to Pigmaker.... Eric has a guy that did all the vinyl on his trailer....

Diva Q
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
You don't have a vehicle wrap sponsor yet? :twisted:

LOL I think this may be something I need to work on in the very near future. :-)

crd26a
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
I got quotes just to do logo on our upcoming trailer purchase (7 x 16 bardn door cargo trailer). Quote was ~300 for the back door and ~500 a side, with a good chunk of it being the labor involved.

OutlawSwine
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
We had our 44' race trailer wrapped 2 years ago. We worked out a deal with the owner and he put a 2'x3' "sponsor logo" on either side of the trailer and a 2x2 logo on the back. Not only was the wrap done at no cost, be he threw in a tire sponsorship ($500) for the next weekends race.

If you do a good bit of traveling, definitely explore the "trailer sponsor" option. This also gives you a route for other sponsorship packages for the sponsors name on the trailer.

Just an idea. It worked for us.

chopshop
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
whats the point of doing a wrap on a trailer? the purpose of a wrap is to follow the contours of a car. thats what they were made for. to do the sides of a FLAT trailer a 1 piece 3m vinyl sticker is a hell of a lot cheaper.

musicmanryann
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are looking to get wrapped. I can't wait to see pics. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint the value that is gained from being such a visible force on the road, both for your team and your sponsors, far outweighs the cost associated with it. I look forward to getting wrapped. Now all I have to do is get a trailer. lol.

musicmanryann
01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
whats the point of doing a wrap on a trailer? the purpose of a wrap is to follow the contours of a car. thats what they were made for. to do the sides of a FLAT trailer a 1 piece 3m vinyl sticker is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Have you seen Rod Gray's (Pellet Envy) trailer? That thing is sex on wheels! I do, however, see your point about the cost. I'll probably just do vinyl stickers on our camper.

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are looking to get wrapped. I can't wait to see pics. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint the value that is gained from being such a visible force on the road, both for your team and your sponsors, far outweighs the cost associated with it. I look forward to getting wrapped. Now all I have to do is get a trailer. lol.

Do you know how many shakers of rub or bottles of sauce it takes to make up $5000 or even $2000 invested in a wrap? I DON'T think is a great investment unless your sponsor is... Greased Lightning. :lol: Seriously, if your sponsor is deep pockets and national, then maybe it makes sense for them. Those sponsors are few and far between.

This doesn't mean that I'm not going to wrap my trailer, but it isn't the best or first choice in marketing. Kind of depends on your business, too.

As far as getting the wrap company to "sponsor" you, as has been mentioned before in this thread, I'm sure one in every three pitches that to the wrap company. At some point, the wrap company actually has to make some money. Most will give you a small discount to put their logo someplace on the wrap. Not that it can't happen, but free wraps are few and selective.

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Have you seen Rod Gray's (Pellet Envy) trailer? That thing is sex on wheels! I do, however, see your point about the cost. I'll probably just do vinyl stickers on our camper.

I've liked Rod's trailer since he wrapped it. I do wonder what a checkered flag has to do with BBQ, though.

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
This an interesting thread. You wouldn't have heard of teams looking into this level of signage just a few years ago. You also didn't see a lot of trailers 5+ years ago. Now, there are more teams with trailers and RV's than not.

musicmanryann
01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Do you know how many shakers of rub or bottles of sauce it takes to make up $5000 or even $2000 invested in a wrap? I DON'T think is a great investment unless your sponsor is... Greased Lightning. :lol: Seriously, if your sponsor is deep pockets and national, then maybe it makes sense for them. Those sponsors are few and far between.

This doesn't mean that I'm not going to wrap my trailer, but it isn't the best or first choice in marketing. Kind of depends on your business, too.

As far as getting the wrap company to "sponsor" you, as has been mentioned before in this thread, I'm sure one in every three pitches that to the wrap company. At some point, the wrap company actually has to make some money. Most will give you a small discount to put their logo someplace on the wrap. Not that it can't happen, but free wraps are few and selective.

I do have a penchant for hyperbole. Perhaps it doesn't far outweigh the cost. When I first thought about it, reading through the posts, an extra $2500 on a $20,000 trailer didn't seem to me that much more of an expense to be a moving billboard. On the other hand, I am not even close to being in the market for one, so I don't know much other than they get people's attention. It definitely makes more sense if you have a sponsor that wants to at least split the cost with you.

I also buy Wagyu brisket, soooooo......:mrgreen::lol:

Todd if you can make it work, it would be awesome to see your trailer all wrapped up!

CivilWarBBQ
01-26-2010, 09:37 PM
A couple more points to consider in favor of vinyl appliqué vs wraps:

- With vinyl it is much less expensive to add and remove sponsor logos when you have turnover. May be important these days with lots of companies cutting back due to the economy.

- Sponsors may be less than enthused if you get carried away with your wrap. I see lots of wrapped vehicles where folks got so carried away with graphics that the logos become lost amid a busy background and other visual elements.

OutlawSwine
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
A couple more points to consider in favor of vinyl appliqué vs wraps:

- With vinyl it is much less expensive to add and remove sponsor logos when you have turnover. May be important these days with lots of companies cutting back due to the economy.

- Sponsors may be less than enthused if you get carried away with your wrap. I see lots of wrapped vehicles where folks got so carried away with graphics that the logos become lost amid a busy background and other visual elements.

This is a VERY good point. The wrap that we had created for our trailer, the wrap company's name was included in the graphics. A year later we had a falling out, but was unable to remove their name due to it being embedded into the wrap image.
Vinyl is the way to go so that you can add or remove it from the wrap itself. This was a lesson we learned the hard way. Although we did get it for free, so we weren't out anything. It just bugged me that the name was still on there. Kinda like the dealership name on the back of your car.....free advertising.

Scottie
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Let me be a bit of a downer. If you wrap anything with signage, you better check in at weigh stations. They consider you a commercial vehicle, especially if it's not a "bbq team" name. Doesn't matter if you have rv plates or not.

Sometimes being cool isn't worth it. this is from experience....

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I do have a penchant for hyperbole. Perhaps it doesn't far outweigh the cost. When I first thought about it, reading through the posts, an extra $2500 on a $20,000 trailer didn't seem to me that much more of an expense to be a moving billboard. On the other hand, I am not even close to being in the market for one, so I don't know much other than they get people's attention. It definitely makes more sense if you have a sponsor that wants to at least split the cost with you.

I also buy Wagyu brisket, soooooo......:mrgreen::lol:

Todd if you can make it work, it would be awesome to see your trailer all wrapped up!

Yes, given the cost, what is a couple extra $K? :biggrin:

BBQ Grail
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
$2,400.00? You wrapping it in bacon or what?

Plowboy
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Let me be a bit of a downer. If you wrap anything with signage, you better check in at weigh stations. They consider you a commercial vehicle, especially if it's not a "bbq team" name. Doesn't matter if you have rv plates or not.

Sometimes being cool isn't worth it. this is from experience....

DR BBQ and I had a talk about trailer signage last year. He doesn't have signage on his trailer. You can draw a lot of attention going down the road, but you also draw a lot of attention sitting in a hotel parking lot, etc.

Scottie
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Probably one of the reasons why I won't bring my rig to a hotel.

I wouldn't do it unless I got paid a very large amount of money. Don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

musicmanryann
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
DR BBQ and I had a talk about trailer signage last year. He doesn't have signage on his trailer. You can draw a lot of attention going down the road, but you also draw a lot of attention sitting in a hotel parking lot, etc.

Are you insinuating the bad kind of attention? If so, I can see that and that is a good point.

I am really enjoying this discussion.

crd26a
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Now, there are more teams with trailers and RV's than not.

You're probably also seeing more and more teams doing more than just 1-2 contests a year. For us this year, with the upgrades in smoker, our little 5 x 10 Utility trailer and Ford Escape wasn't going to cut hauling it this year (not to mention the time it takes to tear down and setup off of the utility). We found a fairly economical solution, kept it under 20 ft in length for 20 x 20 spaces, and now have somewhere to hide if / when the weather turns to ****. We'd love a bigger trailer or RV, but until we pull a Boondoggle, just don't see that happening.

Slamdunkpro
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm going to wrap / partial wrap a couple of rigs & do banners and such this year for a couple of teams in my area, but they mostly compete / cater in my area. The big turn off for sponsoring traveling teams is that vinyling vehicles / trailers requires that you have access to the vehicle. It's not something people can order over the phone and have shipped, so there isn't a huge incentive to donate a wrap. It's a lot easier to get banners and shirts and such.

I think the insulated cooker boom is partially responsible for the increase in vinyl. I'm probably going to fully wrap my Spicewine this spring "just cause".

CivilWarBBQ
01-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Now that I haven't seen yet. A wrapped cooker could be neat. What about the heat, soot and grease? Can the wrap stand up to it?

Slamdunkpro
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Now that I haven't seen yet. A wrapped cooker could be neat. What about the heat, soot and grease? Can the wrap stand up to it?

Insulated cookers do fine, I haven't had any issues with my graphics in three years, it's just time for a change. here's a good view of the trailer on the left.
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/backyard-Smoke-1-5-24-08.jpg
I think I'm going to do a reflective wrap this time.

roksmith
01-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Before you consider attepmting to apply a wrap, or even large vinyl graphic youself, you might want to find a local sign shop that does them and offer to help out on a job or two to see what is involved.
A wrap is at least a two person job (and easier with 3) and you can screw it up very easily.
Sucks to try to save a few hundred dollars, only to cost yourself even more money in the end and cause yourself hours of aggravation.
Leave the install to the professionals. I have some friends who own a shop that does wraps, and have worked on a few with them. I wouldn't even consider trying one on my own.
You can spray the back of a vinyl sticker with water to make it easier to apply, but a wrap is a different story.
Done properly, it's a thing of beauty and will last for years, done wrong, it's a huge waste of money, and another big pain in the butt to remove when you realize you don't like how it looks.

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-27-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm going to wrap / partial wrap a couple of rigs & do banners and such this year for a couple of teams in my area, but they mostly compete / cater in my area. The big turn off for sponsoring traveling teams is that vinyling vehicles / trailers requires that you have access to the vehicle. It's not something people can order over the phone and have shipped, so there isn't a huge incentive to donate a wrap. It's a lot easier to get banners and shirts and such.

I think the insulated cooker boom is partially responsible for the increase in vinyl. I'm probably going to fully wrap my Spicewine this spring "just cause".

When should I bring the trailer down??

drbbq
01-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Are you insinuating the bad kind of attention? If so, I can see that and that is a good point.

I am really enjoying this discussion.

Any attention to a sponsor is good but a guy needs to be able to get away from it once in a while. I also prefer that people don't really know what's in my trailer. My truck and trailer have green flames on them but no names or logos. I have banners that I use at the events.

Grafixgibbs
01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
You also need to make sure you have someone know what they are doing when wrapping as the rivets on a trailer can cause air bubbles under the vinyl or other material causing it to peal up and come off quicker then planned.

ique
01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
This an interesting thread. You wouldn't have heard of teams looking into this level of signage just a few years ago. You also didn't see a lot of trailers 5+ years ago. Now, there are more teams with trailers and RV's than not.

This is so true. 5 years ago in New England it was WSMs and a few Backwoods all under EZUPs.

This past summer at the Maine contest (NH too) I recall the EZUP dwellers were actually outnumbered by RVs and Toyhaulers.

chopshop
01-27-2010, 08:14 AM

it would have looked better if he did it in a solid vinyl sticker. its not only about cost. vehicle wraps do not look as good as a solid sticker but when you have curves that a solid sticker cant follow you use the wrap.

Plowboy
01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Any attention to a sponsor is good but a guy needs to be able to get away from it once in a while. I also prefer that people don't really know what's in my trailer. My truck and trailer have green flames on them but no names or logos. I have banners that I use at the events.

For a second, I thought that said SUNburban. You are so Florida. :icon_cool

Plowboy
01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
You also need to make sure you have someone know what they are doing when wrapping as the rivets on a trailer can cause air bubbles under the vinyl or other material causing it to peal up and come off quicker then planned.

Rivets are also a factor in wrap costs, typically. One applicator about hugged me when he saw that I had a seamless trailer.

Scottie
01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Green... I get it..

Scottie
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
I think when I first saw his Suburban in freezing cold Chi-town. I might have said 'gay'... ;)

For a second, I thought that said SUNburban. You are so Florida. :icon_cool

Ford
01-27-2010, 09:07 AM
MY new trailer is charcoal grey like my old one. It will have no markings on it. I for one don't want to visit the Interstate weigh stations. There's many other reasons for not wrapping such as sun fading. Just thinking of my old trailer with the pig on the front. Couldn't tell the color of the bandana and it started out bright blue. Also scratches, stone chips, changing sponsors (when I get them). And the list goes on. I will have signs for vending and will have sposonr banners or magentic signs.

Plowboy
01-27-2010, 09:21 AM
MY new trailer is charcoal grey like my old one. It will have no markings on it. I for one don't want to visit the Interstate weigh stations. There's many other reasons for not wrapping such as sun fading. Just thinking of my old trailer with the pig on the front. Couldn't tell the color of the bandana and it started out bright blue. Also scratches, stone chips, changing sponsors (when I get them). And the list goes on. I will have signs for vending and will have sposonr banners or magentic signs.

Fading is another reason not to go cheap on the wrap material. Some film has better UV protection than others. Good point, Ford.

I repeat, you get what you pay for.

TOPS BBQ
01-27-2010, 01:06 PM
About 24 hours later and here's what I got back from my buddy:

"It was actually closer to 3200 due to size of the van and the quality I had them print it at plus they did a full wrap, including bumper, cutouts around the door handles, windows (with a different sunblocking material) than the body etc...

I had a quote of 2800 for a lower print quality (would fade in about 2 or 3 years)"

Good luck!

Divemaster
01-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I guess it's a good thing that, at least for now, I'm to cheap to wrap my trailer.

I've liked Rod's trailer since he wrapped it. I do wonder what a checkered flag has to do with BBQ, though.
Actually, that's one of the things I would think about putting on our trailer... lol

drbbq
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Green... I get it..

It's subtle.
I was going to get a picture of a pig drinking some Jack with his ass on fire and wearing a Bears helmet, standing next to a palm tree and cooking on a cartoon BGE, but I got this instead.

Scottie
01-27-2010, 03:37 PM
It's subtle.
I was going to get a picture of a pig drinking some Jack with his ass on fire and wearing a Bears helmet, standing next to a palm tree and cooking on a cartoon BGE, but I got this instead.

I like that. Can I steal it? I don't have any pig logo for my team....

I would assume that would be green label Jack? :shock:

drbbq
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I would assume that would be green label Jack? :shock:

Of course.

Rightstuff
01-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Just got quoted $1600.00 to have our logo installed on new trailer. The company is going to dye-cut the logo (8'3" x 10'8") and apply to both sides. They are going to continue the blue band with stars (see my logo) around the entire top and bottom of the trailer. They are also putting some vinyl lettering on the cab-over portion with our name, phone number and website info.

The big savings was they are not wrapping the entire trailer, just dye-cutting the logo and applying to the sides. My trailer is white as well as the background to my logo.....so it worked out well.

Rightstuff
01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

I looked up the state of Georgia rules....signage on your vehicle has NO bearing on whether you have to pull into a weigh station. Its the GVWR. If your vehicle and trailer is over 10,001 lbs you must get weighed.

"The safety regulations at the 10,001 lb. GVWR level have been in the Federal Regulations for decades. The State of

Rightstuff
01-29-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.georgia.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,5635600_54332908,00.html

I think this only applies to businesses though......but the GVWR it still what they are concerned with.

Scottie
01-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Trust me when I tell you that if you get a rookie, wide-eyed newbie state trooper, who is trying to follow everything by the books... You will get nailed. Then not being at a resting stop for 10 hours, then not having a log. Then amazingly, the left rear tail-light doesn't work. Oh, did I mention the sighting of a case of beer in the RV plated vehicle? Oh, when I called and talked to the Lt. on Monday he chuckled and knew immediately eho it was. Did I get my money back? No I did not. And I also had to send in the paperwork, just 'in case' I was ever pulled over in that state and it 'slipped through the cracks'....

So can it happen? You betcha.