PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Boston Hills BBQ Fest - Boston, NY June 25th-27th

The Giggler
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Contest Announcement – Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Thanks so much to everyone who supported our inaugural event in 2009. It was a great success for our small community, and we look forward to seeing you all again this June. We are now accepting applications for the 2010 Boston Hills BBQ Fest.

Check In, Meat Inspection, and Put Luck Dinner – June 25th

KCBS New York State Championship – Saturday June 26th
2nd stop of the Empire State Championship Series
Chicken – 12 noon
Ribs – 12:30 pm
Pork – 1:00 pm
Brisket – 1:30 pm
Awards – 5:00 pm
Teams staying to compete are invited to a complimentary Pizza Party on Saturday Evening at 8 pm

NEBS Wide Open Grilling - Sunday June 27th
Chicken Wings – 12 noon
Beef Burger – 12:30 pm
Pork Chops – 1:00 pm
Dessert – 1:30 pm
Awards – 5:00 pm
Open Garnish in Standard 9x9 Styrofoam Boxes

Payout is based on the number of teams entered. After KCBS expenses and trophies, we paid out 100% of the entry fees. This year, we are limiting the field to 50 teams. With a full field each day, we will have approximately $11,000 in prize money. Grand and Reserve Grand Trophies will be awarded for each contest. Category trophies will be awarded through 10th place for KCBS, and 5th place for NEBS Wide Open Grilling.

New for 2010 is People’s Choice
Saturday’s People’s Choice will feature Pulled Pork (provided) – 3:00 pm -4:00 pm
Sunday’s People’s Choice will feature Chicken Wings (provided) – 3:00 pm-4:00 pm

The Public will purchase a card in exchange for 8 samples. Each card purchased will allow them to cast one vote for their favorite. The number of cards sold will be determined by the number of participants. Participating teams will receive the raw meat and plastic cups to serve samples. While serving the sample, teams should write their team name in the box on the card indicating a sample has been served. Teams will collect their own vote tickets, and will be picked up at 4pm. The 3 teams with the most number of tickets will be declared the winners at the award ceremony, and will be awarded prize money and trophies. There is no cost to teams to participate, and service to the public will be limited to 1 hour. This contest is being run as a fundraiser for the Patchin Fire Company. Your participation is encouraged and very much appreciated.

Back by popular demand - the VIP Wristband. Throughout the weekend, we invite you to responsibly enjoy the various adult beverages on tap at either Porky’s Pen or Petunia’s Pub. Teams with children will also receive a few complimentary ride tickets courtesy of the event.

This is a family event, and we encourage you to bring yours. This is an action packed weekend that includes live performances of entertainers, rides, acclaimed musical acts, and a professional fireworks show to cap off the weekend.

Team Entry Forms are located below. I am in charge of organizing the teams, and my complete contact information is on the Team Entry Form.

The Judges Registration Form is also located below. David and Eileen Bunn are handling the responsibility of seating judges, so please remit any correspondence directly to them. Their contact information is on the Judges Registration Form located below.

Again, thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of the event in 2009. We look forward to another great year, and count on your support to make this a premier event on the KCBS Contest Circuit.

Early registrations fees apply through May 25th, so get those applications in!

TooSaucedToPork
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I believe this will have to be the first BBQ contest up here in the Great White North I cook in. Look for my App soon :-)

U2CANQUE
01-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Looking forward to being part of a great contest, in a very friendly town....I still have to look up the 2 staties who volunteered to run boxes and have a beverage or two........

HoDeDo
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
We'll be there to defend the title! :twisted:

And those state troopers were great! What a fun crew. Too bad the Troopette was a vegetarian! Those two will make up for her, I have a feeling... but all great people.

First class event. Esp when the Fire Chief runs the coldest tap in the place... Seasonal Summer Brew!!! Brendan and I had him all to ourselves! Almost our own private beer tent...

ique
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm in for this one!

Red Valley BBQ
01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
After the great time last year...we wouldn't miss it!!! Expect our application soon.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Swamp Pit will be there, by far one of my most favorite events!! Don't miss this one!

U2CANQUE
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Fear the Shaker, and I mean, REALLY fear the shaker.......look forward to seeing you all since I am going to be missing out on Rochester.....

Jacked UP BBQ
01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
We have decided to skip Washington Dc this year and come up to Boston Hills!

smknwhlswife
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Can't wait to see everyone!!!!

U2CANQUE
01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
you will not regret it......a blast

WannaBeBBQueen
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Fear the Shaker, and I mean, REALLY fear the shaker.......look forward to seeing you all since I am going to be missing out on Rochester.....

No way!! You won't be at Roc City...now I am officially depressed! :cry:

and why would this be???lol

chopshop
01-27-2010, 08:41 AM

the lady at the bus stop is gonna be very disappointed

smknwhlswife
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
No way!! You won't be at Roc City...now I am officially depressed! :cry:

and why would this be???lol

He will be down here at Ft. Riley and competing around the KC area!!

U2CANQUE
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
He will be down here at Ft. Riley and competing around the KC area!!....I get a chance to hang out with some of the Midwestern'ers who I have not gotten a chance to meet yet....and yeah, pester the hell outta Ms. Andy....grins....
My assignment does not end until the Saturday that is Roc City....but, I should be able to get in about 6 contests or so, attend the Plowboys class, and hopefully get to go down to Dallas to pick up the Jambo......it is going to be a great time regardless......

HandsomeSwede
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Was waiting for this one to be posted. Looking forward to returning to the site of our first call.

The Giggler
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words of support and interest!

UPDATE: Its currently 18 degrees F with blowing winds and drifting snow!

The Giggler
02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Our website manager apparently spends time on this forum, and was reviewing the Roc City thread. Specifically, the part about my shorts. So, he consulted the rest of the Committee, and they decided it would be funny to update the website with a tab - Vote for Mike's Shorts. And how convenient - I don't have access to make any changes to the site.

Anyway, the website is updated with the current schedule, bands, forms, etc. And of course, an opportunity to vote for or against my shorts. Paybacks are hell, JP. :)

WannaBeBBQueen
02-12-2010, 07:19 AM
and for the record.... I like the shorts!!

The Giggler
02-12-2010, 07:52 AM
and for the record.... I like the shorts!!

Thanks Julie! Looks like the sledding and tubing at Chestnut Ridge is going to be killer next weekend.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I like the shorts also, I actually have a very close pair to those.

The Giggler
02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I like the shorts also, I actually have a very close pair to those.

Sport them at Boston Hills!

The Giggler
03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
For Competitors and Judges:

I have booked a block of rooms at a special rate at the Quality Inn in Hamburg. Pricing is $99.00/night. Mention Boston Hills BBQ Fest when booking.

Quality Inn by Choice Hotels
5440 Camp Road
Hamburg, NY
716.649.0500 Phone

Also, entry forms and checks are really coming in. Lot's of new teams this year. Of all the paid entrants, only 2 participated last year. We've got room for 50 teams.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
You have me in there I hope!

The Giggler
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
You have me in there I hope!

Nobody's in until I have an entry form and check! :wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
03-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Does the check have to be good?

The Giggler
03-16-2010, 11:06 AM

It helps if its not made of rubber. :thumb:

The Giggler
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM

One of the new teams is from your neck of the woods in NJ.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Who is it?

The Giggler
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Chicken Chokers

U2CANQUE
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I am about to that date in sending in applications, something about doing this west side tour out in KS put me a little behind....but, I am sure that mine will be going in within 2 weeks.....

The Giggler
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's the list of registered and paid teams for 2010: Returning Teams are in BOLD. (Last year we had 34 in KCBS) New Teams are in ITALIC.

Hawg Doctors
BBQ Magicians
Swamp Pit BBQ
Doghouse Willie
Shuck and Clucks BBQ Team
Chicken Chokers
Can't Stop Grillin'
Butts and Links BBQ Co
Red Valley BBQ
Smokin' Aint Easy
Buckner Brothers Barbeque
Qwannabees

That's 9 new teams, and its only the beginning of April. Based on the verbal commitments and emails from teams planning to enter, my last count was 31 teams. That left 19 spots to fill the field of 50. If you are planning to attend, please get your entry forms and checks in. Thanks!

Red Valley BBQ
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
If the Boston Hills comp is anything like it was last year, the new teams are in for a real treat. The staff treated the teams like kings. Definitely one of the best comps we attended last year!!!! :thumb: Anyone that misses this comp should really have thier gray matter looked at.

goodsmokebbq
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Check is in the mail :rolleyes::thumb: Can't wait!

WannaBeBBQueen
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Definitely one of the best comps we attended last year!!!! :thumb:

Definitely THE BEST contest of the year! DO NOT MISS IT!

The Giggler
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Add the following teams to the lineup:

Nickel City Smokers
Buffalo Meatheads
Fat Guys and a Little Smoke
Ique
Yabba Dabba Que!
Full Pull Chicken

We've got 18 teams registered so far, and have room for 50 teams. I have been contacted by 12 teams that their entries are on the way. I noticed on the Roc City Thread, there are 52 KCBS Teams registered. Drawing from the same region leads me to project that Boston Hills will sell out.

I'm looking for the following entries in the mail:

Good Smoke BBQ
Smoke On Wheels
Jacked Up BBQ
Diva Q
Big Belly BBQ
Up In Smoke
Smoke This!
Desperado's Barbecue
Donnie's Smokehouse

With a 50 team field, we're going to be awarding trophies and prizes through 10th place, and may give honorable mention ribbons through 15th place.

New for this year, is People's Choice. Here's the deal: its free to enter, and the meat is provided. You cook it, serve it, and collect your own votes. 50% of the net profit on tickets sold will be paid to 1st Place. 2nd Place will get 25%. The top two teams in each category, will be quite pleased with the paycheck. People's Choice will take place from 3-4 pm each day. Pork Shoulders (2) on Sat, and Chicken Wings (48) on Sun.

At the meeting last night, the Committee agreed to supply all competitors FREE ICE throughout the weekend!

Red Valley BBQ
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
The Boston Hills committee is setting the bar for BBQ competitions. Anyone that misses this comp should be ashamed of themselves. The inaugural competiton was amazing. The committee bent over backwards to make sure the teams felt welcome and had everything they needed. If this continues, we will be a competitor at Boston Hills for life. :thumb: Keep up the good work!!!!

bbqpitstop
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM
wrote out a check and sealed the envelope....hope to get out to the village post office today, (unless you're stopping in for a beer ?)

The Giggler
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm long overdue for a beer at Desperados. :) Thanks for the heads up on the entry. R u and Mark cooking the grilling together again?

CBQ
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
The Boston Hills committee is setting the bar for BBQ competitions. Anyone that misses this comp should be ashamed of themselves.

Sounds like fun. If only Boston Hills was closer to....Boston! :becky: It's a long drive for me, not to mention the $136 in tolls to get the RV and smoker out there. Will be in Rochester though...

ieatbbq
04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Sounds like fun. If only Boston Hills was closer to....Boston! :becky: It's a long drive for me, not to mention the $136 in tolls to get the RV and smoker out there. Will be in Rochester though...

All good Chris we all know Rochester is the one that really counts...:-P:icon_blush::heh:

ieatbbq
04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Contest Announcement Boston Hills BBQ Fest
Teams staying to compete are invited to a complimentary Pizza Party on Saturday Evening at 8 pm

It's Gluten Free Pizza right Mike. :boxing:

The Giggler
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM

Nothing but the best, Celiac Jon. :cool:

The Giggler
04-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Skip the tolls, and travel the Southern Tier Expressway through the Beautiful Catskill Mountains and Finger Lakes Region.

smknwhlswife
04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
We can't wait to get back up to our 2nd home!!!! :wink::becky:

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
gluten free "sheet" pizza night

WannaBeBBQueen
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
gluten free "sheet" pizza night

Hey don't knock it until you try it!!:tongue:

ieatbbq
04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Hey don't knock it until you try it!!:tongue:
Are you a Celiac Julie?

bbqpitstop
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Mike, Probably won't be cooking with Mark but I will try to borrow a WSM to compete.....isn't he entering under Misfits of Meat ? Check went out this morning.....let me know how we're working the vending fees etc.....

BTW, i think we should have a SHORTS contest on the side...men only of course....

WannaBeBBQueen
04-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Are you a Celiac Julie?no but I know people who are :becky:

and Sled's busting on the "sheet" lol

The Giggler
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Mike, Probably won't be cooking with Mark but I will try to borrow a WSM to compete.....isn't he entering under Misfits of Meat ? Check went out this morning.....let me know how we're working the vending fees etc.....

BTW, i think we should have a SHORTS contest on the side...men only of course....

I believe he is entering under Misfits of Meat, looking for his entry form and check too! You guys teamed up for the grilling last year, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm doing the same thing for all my vendors - you can pay at the event. Its $200 - flat fee.

Do you want to run the shorts contest? :) I've got a pair that's sure to be a hit!

I'll keep an eye for your entry form and check.

New entrants: (as of yesterday)

Jacked Up BBQ
Diva Q

The Giggler
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Add Desperado's Barbecue to the official mix. Got your entry form and check today, Shelly. Thanx.

I've got posters and flyers to drop off at the restaurant too. Will swing by.

bbqpitstop
04-28-2010, 12:19 AM
You're most welcome Mike. Well whaddya say guys ? I'm starting the pot with 100.00 prize money. It's the Boston Hills Shorts Throwdown. Rules are as follows: One vote per team..........One team wins it all...........you can have as many team members as you'd like wear the funkiest, funniest, or prettiest shorts but I"ll be collecting ballots to be sure you can't vote for yourselves. This is one of those "peer evaluation" type contest. Diva, you best be bringing Gabe and Vlad since this will be a male only contest...(sorry, but you can thank me later)..........and if anyone wants to sweeten the pot, I'll consider splitting the contest into seperate categories (maybe the shortest, the ugliest, the most creative etc.).......the only entry fee required is for each team to be sure I'm stocked up on free beers when I'm stuck behind my tent vending to the masses.

Mike, please let me know what teams I may have to notify via facebook or email so that any teams that are not currently active brethren can have a chance to throw their shorts in the ring. I do think that the shorts should have to be donated to Boston Hills to be hung from a flagpole during the 2011 contest, and to be annually added to until we have a well dressed short throwdown flag to sport each year. Questions ? Comments ?

The Giggler
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
You're most welcome Mike. Well whaddya say guys ? I'm starting the pot with 100.00 prize money. It's the Boston Hills Shorts Throwdown. Rules are as follows: One vote per team..........One team wins it all...........you can have as many team members as you'd like wear the funkiest, funniest, or prettiest shorts but I"ll be collecting ballots to be sure you can't vote for yourselves. This is one of those "peer evaluation" type contest. Diva, you best be bringing Gabe and Vlad since this will be a male only contest...(sorry, but you can thank me later)..........and if anyone wants to sweeten the pot, I'll consider splitting the contest into seperate categories (maybe the shortest, the ugliest, the most creative etc.).......the only entry fee required is for each team to be sure I'm stocked up on free beers when I'm stuck behind my tent vending to the masses.

Mike, please let me know what teams I may have to notify via facebook or email so that any teams that are not currently active brethren can have a chance to throw their shorts in the ring. I do think that the shorts should have to be donated to Boston Hills to be hung from a flagpole during the 2011 contest, and to be annually added to until we have a well dressed short throwdown flag to sport each year. Questions ? Comments ?

I'm assuming that participants will have to be wearing these shorts?

Don't worry, Shelly, I have someone from the PFC keep you and your staff "refreshed" for the weekend. We'll do a meet and greet on Friday. I'm sure a sandwich would go a long way

ieatbbq
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM

I can't speek for the rest of Good Smoke but i will put my shorts on the line. There's no shame in BBQ.

U2CANQUE
04-29-2010, 06:46 AM
I can't speek for the rest of Good Smoke but i will put my shorts on the line. There's no shame in BBQ. You ain't lying there!!!:thumb:

The Giggler
04-29-2010, 06:48 AM
And the sideshow begins.... That's the spirit Jon!

bbqpitstop
05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
uh let's just be sure you bring something else to wear when we accept your shorts as a donation to the flagpole...K Jon ? lol.........

Jacked UP BBQ
05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I am in on the short thing!

ique
05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I am in on the short thing!

I have this contest won. :thumb:

bbqpitstop
05-04-2010, 05:02 PM
omg, you just might....are those poppys on those shorts (she says with a gasp)

The Giggler
05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Chris - you've proudly sported louder shorts than those.

I'm a little disappointed in the selection in the stores these days. They just aren't as wild as they used to be.

The Giggler
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Alright, its time for an update. Here's what the lineup looks as of today:

1. Hawg Doctors
2. BBQ Magicians
3. Swamp Pit BBQ
4. Doghouse Willie
5. Shuck & Clucks BBQ Team
6. Chicken Chokers
7. Can't Stop Grillin'
8. Butts N' Links BBQ Co
9. Red Valley BBQ
10. Smokin' Ain't Easy
11. Buckner Brothers BBQ
12. Qwannabees
13. Nickel City Smokers
14. Buffalo Meatheads
15. Fat Guys In A Little Smoke
16. Ique
17. Yabba Dabba Que!
18. Full Pull
19. Desperado's Barbecue
20. All Jacked Up
21. Diva Q
22. Good Smoke BBQ
23. 1st Alarm
24. Smoke This!
25. Big Dawg's Smokin' BBQ

We've officially got ourselves a Qualifier. Thanks to all who have entered.

U2CANQUE
05-13-2010, 03:58 AM
It is one the way in.....2 Worthless Nuts.....:becky:

Smokin Turkey
05-13-2010, 05:53 AM
I wish I could come mike. I loved the event last year. Definately one of my favorites. I will make sure to be there next year!

The Giggler
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I wish I could come mike. I loved the event last year. Definately one of my favorites. I will make sure to be there next year!

No problem Brian. You were pretty much "playing" last year. I was wondering how long you'd get away with that with your wife. LOL!

I'm headed your way tomorrow - the Sulphurs are on the water, and the fish are looking up. Gonna be nice to have a few days on the water.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice job Mike!

The Giggler
06-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Update time. I'm going to be sending out an email to all teams confirming their entry, and whether or not teams will be participating in the People's Choice (Entry Fee is free, and the meat is provided). Keep an eye out in your inboxes. Thanks to all who have entered.

Here's what KCBS Looks like so far:
Hawg Doctors
BBQ Magicians
Swamp Pit BBQ
Doghouse Willie
Shuck & Clucks BBQ Team
Chicken Chokers
Can't Stop Grillin'
Butts N Links BBQ Co
Red Valley BBQ
Smokin' Ain't Easy
Buckner Brothers BBQ
Qwannabees
Nickel City Smokers
Buffalo Meatheads
Fat Guys In A Little Smoke
Ique
Yabba Dabba Que!
Full Pull
Desperado's Barbecue
Good Smoke BBQ
1st Alarm BBQ
Smoke This!
Big Dawg's Smokin' BBQ
Diva Q
All Jacked Up
Hoof - N - Hog
Big Belly BBQ
Misfits of Meat
2 Worthless Nuts
Double D's BBQ
Donnie's Smokehouse
Smoke On Wheels
Penalty Box BBQ
5 Hogs Front Porch BBQ

And here's what NEBS looks:
Swamp Pit BBQ
Can't Stop Grillin'
Butts N Links BBQ Co
Qwannabees
Buffalo Meatheads
Ique
Yabba Dabba Que!
Good Smoke BBQ
Diva Q
Double D BBQ
Smoke This!
All Jacked Up
Braizin' Hell
Lafayette Tap Room
Big Belly BBQ
Hammond House
Wing Night
The 5th Artery

bbqpitstop
06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Didn't I enter for NEBS this year too ? I'm almost positive I did.

The Giggler
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Didn't I enter for NEBS this year too ? I'm almost positive I did.

I'll have to check out your entry form. You may have.

The Giggler
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
The $25 dollar LATE FEE has been waived. For those who have already paid, please see me at the contest for a refund.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Mike - Jacked up BBQ is the actual team name

The Giggler
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Mike - Jacked up BBQ is the actual team name

Noted. Thanks for the clarification. Are you arriving on Thursday night or Friday morning? Thursday is fine. And tear down on Monday is fine too. Fireworks are Sunday night, and people always come out for that.

The Giggler
06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Update time. I'm going to be sending out an email to all teams confirming their entry, and whether or not teams will be participating in the People's Choice (Entry Fee is free, and the meat is provided). Keep an eye out in your inboxes. Thanks to all who have entered.

Here's what KCBS Looks like so far:
Hawg Doctors
BBQ Magicians
Swamp Pit BBQ
Doghouse Willie
Shuck & Clucks BBQ Team
Chicken Chokers
Can't Stop Grillin'
Butts N Links BBQ Co
Red Valley BBQ
Smokin' Ain't Easy
Buckner Brothers BBQ
Qwannabees
Nickel City Smokers
Buffalo Meatheads
Fat Guys In A Little Smoke
Ique
Yabba Dabba Que!
Full Pull
Desperado's Barbecue
Good Smoke BBQ
1st Alarm BBQ
Smoke This!
Big Dawg's Smokin' BBQ
Diva Q
Jacked Up BBQ
Hoof - N - Hog
Big Belly BBQ
Misfits of Meat
2 Worthless Nuts
Double D's BBQ
Donnie's Smokehouse
Smoke On Wheels
Penalty Box BBQ
5 Hogs Front Porch BBQ

And here's what NEBS looks:
Swamp Pit BBQ
Can't Stop Grillin'
Butts N Links BBQ Co
Qwannabees
Buffalo Meatheads
Ique
Yabba Dabba Que!
Good Smoke BBQ
Diva Q
Double D BBQ
Smoke This!
All Jacked Up
Braizin' Hell
Lafayette Tap Room
Big Belly BBQ
Hammond House
Wing Night
The 5th Artery

Please note the change to Matt's Team Name - it is now correctly stated as Jacked Up BBQ :thumb: