PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Louisiana

Jackcul
02-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Glad to be aboard!

I bought my bandera from a guy in Alabama who got one of those big green eggs. Looks brand new and he had done all the mods to it.

I've used it once, 4 chicken halfs and 3 slabs of baby backs. Wife said it was the best chicken and ribs i've ever cooked! It did use a lot of charcoal.

Jackcul

slat
02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Glad to have you aboard. You will find lots of ideas and things to try here.

BBQchef33
02-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey jack.. Welcome to the nutz!!

Go get the Bandera 101 document in our files section. it'll help get ya started. Bandera is a fuel hog.. You'll get used to it with some practice. After a while 2-3 chimneys and a load of logs is all you'll need to spread out for 8-10 hour burns. Its all in the fire managment. You'll get the hang of it. You use any wood or just charcoal??

Saiko
02-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Welcome aboard! Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to use a wood fire if hardwood trees are plentiful in your area. What kind of tree are native to your area (besides cyprus, I know yall have a lot of them in louisiana) :D

chad
02-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Welcome. I imagine your in the same position, wood-wise, as me. I live in Florida and so about the only hardwood I've got around here is oak -- not griping at all but it would be nice to mix it up with some pecan or hickory now and then -- of course I can alway buy chunks at Wally World.

'Couse Shreveport is far enough north you just might have some pecan, hickory, etc. available. Anyway, welcome. Enjoy!

kcquer
02-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Welcome Jackul, If you like Q, if you have a sense of humor and can appreciate a bunch of old farts who really enjoy both, you've come to the right place. Have they still got a bunch of B-52s around there? Spent a little time at Barksdale when I was much younger, am a little jealous of your weather this time of year. Good to have you aboard. scott

Bill-Chicago
02-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Welcome Jack

you got a great resource here.

Use the search tool at the top of the page.

Like Phil said, fire management is your key.

Run a search on Heat Shield, since you said you got the baffle and fire grate mod covered. Those 3 mods can make or break you on fuel and even Q and such.

Welcome

Solidkick
02-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Welcome my Cajun brother! You've come to the right place!

I got family in Broussard........bunch of coon asses...LOL....but I love them crawdad dishes when I go to visit....Family says they been doing
beer butt chicken for years.....but they drinks a bit too...LOL

Again, Welcome!

Bill-Chicago
02-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Hey Everybody.

Mr Kick Sucks Craw Heads

Solidkick
02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Everyboby,

Bill Sucks Jap Nutz

Bill-Chicago
02-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Hey Everyboby,

Bill Sucks Jap Nutz

I resemble that remark

Solidkick
02-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey Everyboby,

Bill Sucks Jap Nutz

I resemble that remark

Like we all didn't know that! The way the peanut thread is going, I think we all just need to buy stock in Texoma and get a little return along with the discount.

Mark
02-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Welcome Jackul. I think live oak should be plentiful in theShreveport area. I used to live in Austin and that's what I used mainly.

The following link will help you find out what kind of trees grow where. We're working on a guide for wood scrounging but it aint ready yet
http://www.arborday.org/trees/browsetrees.cfm

Jackcul
02-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I have the door gasket and the heat baffel, but do not have the fire box mod yet. We do have a lot different wood up here, oak, pecan, hickory.
I have some questions on using wood to cook with, I guess I'll post them in the other forum.

Yep, Scott we still got those big peace keepers the B-52's.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Jack

BigAl
02-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Welcome!

Bigdog
03-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Jackcul,he
Start your fire with charcoal, then switch to wood. Oak, hickory and pecan are great smoking woods. If you are inexperienced with wood, use a combo of charcoal and wood.

Buy the way, I think you will enjoy the Bandera better than the guy with the green egg. The Bandit is a man's man cooker, but is harder to control the heat at first. And welcome to the group!