PDA

View Full Version : Balan's BBQ in Delaware

MAsQue
01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
For my recently past birthday my sister gave me a trip to Washington, DC. On the way down on US 13, just over the bridge from New Jersey into Delaware, I spotted what looked like (and was) a stick burner smoking away outside what looked a lot like a converted garage with a "BBQ" sign hung on it.

Cutting across three lanes of traffic, I abandoned plans for having lunch in a crab shack by the Chesapeake and found Balan's Smoked BBQ. The owner introduced himself as Bob, seen here behind the counter:

Bob is apparently an immigrant from the Phillipines, cooking KC style BBQ just over the border from New Jersey. In addition to some very creditable BBQ, Bob stocks a supply of Filipino/Oriental grocery items. (Try the spicy coconut vinegar.) Only in America.

We sampled the rib sandwich and pulled pork sandwich on our way down, and went out of our way to come back and try the short rib sandwich and pick up some more pork on the way back north. It was all good and the short ribs were outstanding. The menu is pretty varied:

Well worth stopping in if you're anywhere near the area. Bob and I talked at some length about BBQ and I explained about the Brethren and that I would post this notice on the forum. He's hoping to compete locally next year. If you stop in, tell Bob that Brian says "Hello."

Balan's Smoked BBQ
867 South DuPont Hwy. (US 13 South)
New Castle, Delaware
302-834-6540

Cigarbque
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the info. I grew up in Wilmington and I will be down there at the end of next month. I'll make it a point to stop by.

LMAJ
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks - I work in Wilmington and that's not too far away.....

BrisketBelly
01-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I work nearby and have been here before. It is located on Rt. 13 South, approximately 1/4 mile before the Rt. 1 overpass. I met Bob when I went last year. Very nice guy.

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a reason for a road trip. Not too far from P-ville.

Westexbbq
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Nice find Brian,
Those kind of places are usually well worth the stop.
This must be one of them.

Pig Headed
01-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I live about 10 minutes away. I too have met Bob and agree he's a very nice guy.