PDA

View Full Version : Bandera Newbie from New Mexico

merletweb
02-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I live in Espanola, NM (http://EspanolaOnLine.com/). I'm 50ish, give or take an ish. Retired. Dale Jarrett fan, (Go UPS #88 ).

I picked up my Bandera at The Home Depot. They were on sale and the assistant manager was ticked off at Home Depot so he cut the price even more and didn't charge for the assembly.

I've been looking for some mesquite wood around here but it looks like I'll have to go to the south part of the state to get some. That's a good 5-6 hour drive. There are plenty of apple orchards around here so I guess I'll start trying to gather wood from there first. These guys tear up their trees every so often to plant new ones. The wood is usally burnt. I think it'll burn much better in my Bandera!

Now that I'm retired I have plenty of time to Q. I love it!

chad
02-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Welcome!

I think you'll be able to cope using apple until you can round up some mesquite :D

Bill-Chicago
02-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Welcome Merl.

See you've been here a while.

Glad to see you start posting.

Please let us know how your Q's go. I pay to get apple wood and we love it. It would be great to get it local!

parrothead
02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
I pay to get apple wood and we love it

Not any more ya don't. I got plenty. 2 trees cut down in the fall, should be cured by spring.

slat
02-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the gang. Now that you've started posting keep it up. Lots to do, see and say around here. Pull up a chair and join in.

Slat

Solidkick
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Glad to have you! Look forward to your many posts and cooking experiences with apple. I think you'll like it!

kcquer
02-24-2004, 05:58 AM
Welcome to the forum I think you'll find everybody here to be friendly and helpful as well as just a lot of fun. Now how can I help. I'd be glad to take any excess apple wood or any extra NM sunshine you might be burdened with. Just the kind of guy I am always lookin to help someone. scott

Saiko
02-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Welcome to the group! If you want my opinion, apple is the best smoking wood there is. Consider yourself lucky!
Every few years my wife's grandfather trims his apple trees in Kentucky and I get about 4 smoking sessions worth of wood. I'd say apple is my favorite followed by cherry, then hickory and red oak.

Jackcul
03-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Welcome,

Just got back from Carlsbad yesterday. Wish I would known you were lookin for some mesquite. I would have cut some down and left them on the side of the hi-way for ya!

You will like these guys, I have been here a few weeks and have already learned alot!

Anyway, Welcome Aboard

Jack

Bigdog
03-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Welcome aboard Merle. Have you done your mods. yet? If not, see Bandera 101 files.

chad
03-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Welcome!

Do yo do Hatch?? If so I want you to be my next Trading Post partner :D

Have fun! Cook 'que.

Bill-Chicago
03-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Welcome!

Have fun! Cook 'que.

David, this is the second time you welcomed Merle.

Official Greeter Mod

MikeG
03-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Welcome Merle...drag up a chair and set a spell...You will enjoy this
Lots of good advise. Some of us are usually wrong but never in
doubt. NASCAR..I'm not so much a fan, but have 2 brother-in-laws and 3 nephews that are...big on #8 (Junior). We will all be at Talledega on the 25th of April.
Welcome aboard
MikeG

brdbbq
03-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Welcome!

Have fun! Cook 'que.

David, this is the second time you welcomed Merle.

Official Greeter Mod

He is training for Wal-Mart

TasteBuds
03-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Merle, I use charcoal, then wood for flavor. I think you'll find that using only wood will cause your cooker to get too hot and too much smoke if you try to choke the fire down. Come to Rio Rancho and the 1st Annaul Pork and Brew State Championship March 26th and 27th. I'll have my Bandera fired up and cooking ribs and chicken for the competition, I use another cooker for the brisket and pork butts. I'll be more then happy to show you a few tricks on using the Bandera. Ive been using one for about three years, and have made a few mods as well. I'll see You all at the Pork and Brew. My team name is TasteBuds.
Bud

Bill-Chicago
03-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Welcome Bud, and good luck in the competition.

BigAl
03-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the Group!