PDA

View Full Version : As seen on BBQ Pitmasters

SirPorkaLot
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
What do you call them handy dandy tray carriers I saw some of the teams using to carry their trays to the judging table? Where do you buy them?

I assume the are insulated?

BigJimsBBQ
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
John,

A few you are seeing are hand made with plywood, dowl sticks and cloth by the Team Moms with love. Some Teams also use pizza carriers. Some Teams just walk the styrofoam clam-shell box in un-covered.

SirPorkaLot
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Jim
That explains it. Thanks!

i carry my clamshell to the table by itself. I just wondered what they were using.
Now I know :mrgreen:

Woodreaux BBQ
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
What do you call them handy dandy tray carriers I saw some of the teams using to carry their trays to the judging table? Where do you buy them?

I assume the are insulated?
Read somewhere that Mrs. Trigg made most of those for Christmas presents.

Lake Dogs
01-21-2010, 06:31 AM
As above, plus some use pizza carriers, but pizza carriers tend to be larger than
needed and clumsy, especially if there's a lot of folks going through a small area or
a doorway. Others use casserole carriers; same as a pizza carrier, only smaller.

TN_BBQ
01-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Insulated casserole carrier

Ought to be pretty simple to make. Probably find a sewing pattern pretty easy.

I'd add a rigid bottom (cardboard/plywood, etc)

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/articles/Casserole_Carrier_1107.aspx

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/Libraries/1107%20Project%20Images/1107%20-%20callout%20-%20casserole2.sflb

smknwhlswife
01-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I can make these. Would some of you be interested?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

yep!!! I would love one in Gnome fabric!

thillin
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM

Give us a quote Kim. I'm sure you could drum up some business.

Professor Salt
01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd be interested, Kim. I was thinking it would be cool to have a little pocket where you can keep one of those hand warmers, to keep the bundle warm during the walk:

http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=MWES30&pkey=Grabber+Warmers|Mega+Warmer%2c+12+Hour+%2830+ pack%29&pval=1|MWES30&pIds=CategoryID|itemid

grillfella
01-21-2010, 11:36 PM
restaurant depot carries them as well

SirPorkaLot
01-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I'd be interested, Kim. I was thinking it would be cool to have a little pocket where you can keep one of those hand warmers, to keep the bundle warm during the walk:

http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=MWES30&pkey=Grabber+Warmers|Mega+Warmer%2c+12+Hour+%2830+ pack%29&pval=1|MWES30&pIds=CategoryID|itemid (http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=MWES30&pkey=Grabber+Warmers%7CMega+Warmer%2c+12+Hour+%283 0+pack%29&pval=1%7CMWES30&pIds=CategoryID%7Citemid)

^^what he said^^

Balls Casten
01-22-2010, 07:48 AM
It would be a little more work but ... I have about 600 Crown Royal bags sitting in my basement that were waiting to be made into another quilt.
Kim you are welcome to them if you're sewing them together.

And couldnt you go ahead and stitch the flaps together. So that you would have a sleve rather than two flaps to open??
I dont know that a hand warmer is going to do any good in the short time it takes to walk turn ins.

JD McGee
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
The custom ones are pretty cool...and would be neat to have your team logo printed on them. Harry Soo used this type in last night's episode. They are very inexpensive and are available most anywhere...:cool:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0089033800101_LG.jpg (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=2&item=347731)

RobKC
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Using a hand warmer might not be legal on a pork entry.

goodsmokebbq
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

dmprantz
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Without starting another painful discussion, I would think a handwarmer would be illegal for any category unless either the hand warmer is removed prior to adding the box, or it is a charcoal based hand warmer, in which case it is still illegal for pork. Linda care to comment?

On an asside, I had thought about getting a small pizza warmer for this, but every one I've read says that it is designed to keep heat in but allow moisture to exit to keep crusts crispy. While I seriously doubt that amount of moisture is going hurt an entry, it seems counter productive. I would think something that keeps both heat and moisture in would be better. Some one think I'm wrong here?

dmp

smknwhlswife
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I will make up a mock one and post pictures of it. I should be able to do this over the weekend.

It would be a little more work but ... I have about 600 Crown Royal bags sitting in my basement that were waiting to be made into another quilt.
Kim you are welcome to them if you're sewing them together.

I would love them! I think that would make an awesome carrier!

Professor Salt
01-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Without starting another painful discussion, I would think a handwarmer would be illegal for any category unless either the hand warmer is removed prior to adding the box, or it is a charcoal based hand warmer, in which case it is still illegal for pork. Linda care to comment?

Good point about the legality issue. Why would it be illegal just for pork?

I'm curious to hear an opinion from Linda or Merl or someone inside KCBS. The handwarmers use charcoal, iron oxide and oxygen in the atmosphere to generate heat. It's not hot enough to cook meat, merely holding it at a warmer than ambient temp.

ammoore
01-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I like the idea of a "warmer pocket"
However, if legality of a "heat source" comes into play then you could use a ceramic brick that was pre-heated. I have a thin one that came with a bread basket that would be used in the bottom of the basket to keep bread warm.....

dmprantz
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM

My understanding (And I'm wrong a lot around here) is that once pork becomes "parted," i.e. puled, chopped, sliced, cut or in anyway broken into smaller parts, it cannot be placed into any cooking chamber, where a cooking chamber is defined as something with wood/charcoal as a current heat source, or an official "pit" regardless of the heat source.

dmp

Divemaster
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I would love one but I think I need to let Ramona make it up... She's been trying to help out any where she can and this would be a great project for her.

smknwhlswife
01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Sorry guys - it will be a few more days. Had more going on this weekend than originally planned. I will post soon!

LindaM
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm curious to hear an opinion from Linda or Merl or someone inside KCBS. The handwarmers use charcoal, iron oxide and oxygen in the atmosphere to generate heat. It's not hot enough to cook meat, merely holding it at a warmer than ambient temp.

OK I didn't want to comment cause that only gets me in trouble, but in MHO it is not enough heat to cook and it is a chemical reaction so I think it would be legal. Maybe board discussion ----see what you guys started

RobKC
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I only mentioned it because I knew someone would pick it up and run with it. :twisted:

Lake Dogs
01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
My understanding (And I'm wrong a lot around here) is that once pork becomes "parted," i.e. puled, chopped, sliced, cut or in anyway broken into smaller parts, it cannot be placed into any cooking chamber, where a cooking chamber is defined as something with wood/charcoal as a current heat source, or an official "pit" regardless of the heat source.

dmp

I cant think of a way that a hand warmer (or most any other cute little
device used to keep the insulated transporter warm) could be construed
as a "cooking chamber". Plus, lets face it, what would be the result IF
the heat from something being used as a turn-in box transporter were
to be hot enough to actually cook?... BAAAAAAD things, like melted
styrofoam, cooked greenery, burned hands, etc....

QansasjayhawQ
01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
I cant think of a way that a hand warmer (or most any other cute little
device used to keep the insulated transporter warm) could be construed
as a "cooking chamber". Plus, lets face it, what would be the result IF
the heat from something being used as a turn-in box transporter were
to be hot enough to actually cook?... BAAAAAAD things, like melted
styrofoam, cooked greenery, burned hands, etc....
That's exactly what I was thinking. Similarly with the HOT&COLD bags, the styrofoam box would act like a vapor barrier does with insulation in your walls, it would stop most of the moisture from migrating. So, no problem.

smknwhlswife
01-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Just bought some material to get started. I have pigs, roosters, and white with black spots (looks like a cow hide).

dmprantz
01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I cant think of a way that a hand warmer (or most any other cute little device used to keep the insulated transporter warm) could be construed as a "cooking chamber". Plus, lets face it, what would be the result IF the heat from something being used as a turn-in box transporter were to be hot enough to actually cook?... BAAAAAAD things, like melted styrofoam, cooked greenery, burned hands, etc....

I'm with you on this, and like I said earlier, I'm wrong a lot in how I predict the board or reps will react. If I have an electric hot plate on low, a pot of sauce on that burner, and meat in the sauce, is it okay to turn in that meat? If the btus output by a chemical hand warmer are the same as that low powered electric heating element, does that change things? Maybe I'm just too philisophical, or maybe I'm scared crapless of random decisions, or maybe I grossly misunderstood the parted pork discussion that went on in here last year. Maybe all are true and none of them...wait, I'm getting philisophical again :(

dmp

U2CANQUE
01-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Just bought some material to get started. I have pigs, roosters, and white with black spots (looks like a cow hide).

Standing in line patiently waiting to order mine.....since you know that Nik is not quite the sewer......

Smoky River BBQ
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes..... oh, and did I mention YES???

Balls Casten
01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I want mine covered in Rhinestones!
https://www.mybedazzler.com/

Lake Dogs
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm with you on this, and like I said earlier, I'm wrong a lot in how I predict the board or reps will react. If I have an electric hot plate on low, a pot of sauce on that burner, and meat in the sauce, is it okay to turn in that meat? If the btus output by a chemical hand warmer are the same as that low powered electric heating element, does that change things? Maybe I'm just too philisophical, or maybe I'm scared crapless of random decisions, or maybe I grossly misunderstood the parted pork discussion that went on in here last year. Maybe all are true and none of them...wait, I'm getting philisophical again :(

dmp

If I have an electric hot plate on low, <--- good so far

a pot of sauce on that burner, <--- still good so far

and meat in the sauce ? on the burner, in the sauce? I'm of
the personal opinion that in this case it's
too close to actually being cooked, and
could invite the DQ gods to come and
show 'ya some luv.

That's why when we sauce, we sauce with warm sauce, outside of a pot.
Sometimes we take the pulled pork, but it in a tupperware bowl, pour
the hot/warm sauce over it, and mix it up there (cant be construed as
cooking). That, or after looking at a few award winning entry boxes,
I'm now just pouring a small amount of warmed sauce over the pork while
it's in the turn-in box. Definitely NOT cooking.

Bonkers789
01-27-2010, 11:49 AM
i have like 3 of these at my house my wife's mom loves making us things

WannaBeBBQueen
01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Standing in line patiently waiting to order mine.....since you know that Nik is not quite the sewer...... I'm behind Rob...cause I am not a sewer either :roll:

worthsmokin
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I would be interested in buying one of these. Will you be listing them on ebay?

Thanks,
Becky

uziel5000
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
The custom ones are pretty cool...and would be neat to have your team logo printed on them. Harry Soo used this type in last night's episode. They are very inexpensive and are available most anywhere...:cool:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0089033800101_LG.jpg (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=2&item=347731)

Stuff like this works even better if you prime it. That is, warm it up if you want to keep stuff warm and cool it to keep stuff cold. If you don't there would still be some heat(or cold) loss.