PDA

View Full Version : BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

Smokin Turkey
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
BBQ @ The Beach Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th

We are working on our final sanctioning packet but I wanted to get this info out for the teams who will be interested in joining us for your first year event.

We will be hosting a standard KCBS event with a TBA grilling non-sanctioned event. We are also working on working out all the points on a People's Choice Rib event.

We will be having 20-30 teams (which makes this a Jack Qualifier) and setup in the parking area at Raystown Lake beach which is at the 7 Points Marina area.

We have much more info to release but this is a "keep your calendars open" announcement as we hope to have everything final in Feb as our Corp of Engineers paperwork has taken a bit longer than planned.

The over all comp will be put on by the Raystown Region Visitors Bureau and the idea and leadership falls on me :shock: so yeah me! :eusa_clap We are hosting live music for the entire weekend, planned kids activities and other all inclusive family events to make this a fun time for all.

More to come! :icon_cool

ClayHill
01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Thats great.....I am a "rookie" competitor and am always looking for closer contest. I'll keep my eyes open for more details. I love the drive to raystown

BBQchef33
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
how far is that from NYC?

ClayHill
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
"how far is that from NYC?"

From NYC your looking @ just shy of 5 hours

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-21-2010, 07:07 AM
is this the same weekend as Schrewsbury PA? I know they sent in their app for their 2nd year. seems like there arent any comps in June in Pa, any chance of a June date?

timzcardz
01-21-2010, 07:40 AM

About 320 miles for you, and a few less for me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=nesconset,+ny&daddr=Seven+Points+Recreation+Area,+Lake+Raystown, +Hesston,+Pa+16647,+Seven+Points+Recreation+Area,+ Lake+Raystown,+Hesston,+Pa+16647+(Seven+Points+Mar ina)&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVAeaAIdc69Y-yF-ToixS3DY_A&mra=ls&sll=40.219335,-78.29927&sspn=0.760233,1.229095&ie=UTF8&z=7

ClayHill
01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Sal- I checked on Shrewsbury's website and they have it listed as the 10th and 11th. June would be a nightmare @ seven points marina.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Sal- I checked on Shrewsbury's website and they have it listed as the 10th and 11th. June would be a nightmare @ seven points marina.

this would make (I think) 5 in that time span..

Schrewbury
(Bel Air MD)
NewHolland
Harrisburg
Chambersburg

and Raystown..

to bad they arent spread out a little more, nothing from May untill August then...BAMM

and I think MT. Airy MD in there if it goes this year..

ClayHill
01-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah I tend to agree, I doubt I could do two weekends in a row just yet. Guess I'll have to pick one

Smokin Turkey
01-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Not sure from where in the city but I make it in 4.5 hours to Staten Island.

We chose a weekend in Sept that according to the KCBS website, that had nothing going on in this part of the country aside from someplace in Mass.

I talked origonaly about doing this comp in mid July after boston hills and lake placid but I couldn't find interest in getting sponsors in the busy tourism seasons here. To get the best deals and the most prize money that we are looking for here, we went with sept as it is still beautiful and the weather is calming down from the hottest time of the year. Our other option was march or early April which I didnt want to do since we don't have any leaves on the trees, the place is thawing and a huge mud fest and that's if we aren't seeing flooding in the area.

This is what the KCBS website shows as for our chosen weekend... http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=09

I can't tell you actual prizes yet but we have set an innitial target of prize money to be $10k with any proceeds going to an area chairity which right now (has not been settled yet) is looking like Easter Seals or Habitat for Humanity. We also will have volunteer groups doing things like parking and stuff to benefit their organizations. I can tell you that Huntingdon County Customs will be building all the trophy's so they won't be bowling style with pigs on them. As I said, we will have 20-30 teams with large enough areas to get in the pull throughs in without headaches and you will be set up on blacktop with no power or water problems. We are arranging but have not secured yet, free ice, local fruit and hard woods, and possible meat sponsors for the grilling. We are going to have the grilling included in the fee and I will announce that free structure as soon as I can get it from the board.

Booze is welcome, we will have a quiet hour of 10pm which shouldn't be a problem and may not be strickly enforced until midnight as we are away from all the camp sites. WiFi should also be there and free but I need to check on that.

We are going out of our way to make a great event to do year after year. Anyone who met me at any of the comps this year knows just how much I enjoy these things and how much I've been talking about having one here locally and get you guys down here for a comp.

So far as I said, Live music is a definite and I'm trying hard for some really popular PA bands with likely a radio station providing ambient music and announcements all day. I will be looking when we get closer for teams to volunteer for giving "What is BBQ" classes. I am working on getting something donated as an incentive as well as provide you the opportunity to sell your shirts and rubs and such. We haven't settled on it but we may or may not have either a classic car drive in or bike ride one night.

Grilling is what I am trying to get the meats donated for and the grilling entry. I am looking for some fun meat classes ( we had a possibility of it being striped bass donated from one of our clubs ) This part will not be sanctioned and will be likely judged by local celebrities and people from the crowd.

We will have food vendors so the public will not be begging for "samples" :rolleyes:

Smokin Turkey
01-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Here are a few images of the comp area we used in our submission. Top one came from area shot by rangers. Rest were all digital images screen shotted from Google Earth in 3-D. We will also be placing this on google maps to be searched and given accurate directions although this is very easy to find.

http://www.huntingdonpa.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/7ptsmarina.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/2010%20raystown%20comp/BeachCompMap.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/2010%20raystown%20comp/BeachComphardstage.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/2010%20raystown%20comp/Beachcompeventparking.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/2010%20raystown%20comp/BeachcompetitionBasemap.jpg

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-21-2010, 10:19 AM
looks like a nice place, I hope to make it...please let us know when the forms are available...

Scottie
01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Nice. That's a pretty part of the country that time of year... Plus it's about as far west as they come in PA... Might have to get PA off my list...

Good luck!

Scottie

Burk504
01-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I have heard that Raystown lake is beautiful and I would love to do a comp in this type of setting. Keep us informed...

BlueHwyBBQ
01-22-2010, 10:19 PM
This looks nice. I'll keep it on my short list.

Let us know when application forms are available.

Smokin Turkey
01-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I am pestering the board daily to get this approved so we can move it forward. This is the last step out of my hands. I have been talking with more experienced brethren also about other aspects of getting this organized so applications will be coming.

As for people PMing me for maps to the comp, I will post a link here to a google map. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=7points+recreation+area+16652&sll=40.450557,-78.055885&sspn=0.287904,0.617294&ie=UTF8&hq=7points+recreation+area&hnear=Huntingdon,+PA+16652&ll=40.374315,-78.07256&spn=0.004504,0.009645&t=h&z=17)This map has the view centered over the beach area. You should be able to draw directions to where ever in the world you may be coming from.

I'm also working with Scotty to get the teleport coordinates but unfortunately he tells me any equipment larger than a smokey joe won't fit in the 'porter and something about "she's givin' it all she's got" :rolleyes:

WannaBeBBQueen
01-23-2010, 08:54 AM
lol, Sounds great Brian...keep updated!

Capt ron
01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I would be interested as long as it doesn't coincide with Shrewsbury,PA... I'm not going to miss that one... I had too much fun in the rain...

Meat@Slim's
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Great location. Looks like a blast. Will have to go to the contest someplace in Massachusetts though.

ClayHill
01-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I would be interested as long as it doesn't coincide with Shrewsbury,PA... I'm not going to miss that one... I had too much fun in the rain...

Shrewsbury is the weekend before this contest...

Smokin Turkey
01-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Just an update, We are in the final stage of getting our venue approved and we have our KCBS app all ready to go which I'm told I can get our answer in as short as 10 days.

We are told our venue is going to be a go. The delay is with getting all the paperwork through the federal parks chain of command. All the large parts are a go we are just snagging on tiny things like getting the maintenance dept to wait until after the event to winterize our bathrooms which wouldn't be a big deal as we already planned for job johns but the restroom is where our water is coming from :eek: (that didn't sound good but you know what I mean :lol:) so just reassuring everyone we are still going to do this and we are doing this here.

Who here has ever gotten a speedy response from the govt? :rolleyes:

ClayHill
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Thats great news!!!

"Who here has ever gotten a speedy response from the govt?"

The wheels of government turn very slow...

Smokin Turkey
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
The only speedy response I got from the government was for them to reduce my va disability rate. To increase it, it's been nearly 2 years and counting.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
any word on when the forms may be ready or a site will be up?

Smokin Turkey
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I requested the website be up asap if at only with a basic format. As for the applications, our next meeting is 2/2 and our applications are on the agenda to put together. I am not sure I can release an application for a KCBS sanctioned event until we have the sanctioning approved but early word out from the rangers today is we could quite possibly have an answer as early as today at 1:30pm and I'm hearing it will be good news.

I will announce as soon as I hear anything. As I was told by Ms. Karen Walker at KCBS, we can have our answer on sanctioning within 10 days of their receiving our ap packet and of course $Bling.

Scottie
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
If it hasn't been addressed, I wiould check into getting the "State Championship" desgination also rolling.. Or at least find out the steps necessary to make it go smooth.

Smokin Turkey
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
any advice on this would be helpful. Anyone familiar with the process?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
any advice on this would be helpful. Anyone familiar with the process?

some people have good luck getting the prolamation through their local state representitive. call or stop by their office.

Chipper
01-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Looks great, but I have a wedding that day. I guess I could always hope they change their minds.

Smokin Turkey
02-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Now that is a true BBQ attitude!

Ok, meeting tomorrow afternoon to draft our applications for both vendors and competitors. We hope to have a website online very soon where you can DL these in pdf format.

We are moving forward everyday as we await final words from the head ranger. We have also begun our quest for the proclamation to become PA's second Championship.

This will be a competition to remember!

Hershey BBQ Guy
02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
This will be a great setting for your first event. Let me know if MABA can assist in any way.

Do you have your KCBS Reps yet?

Sal and I both sit on the Keystone Classic planning committee and as we go into our third year may be able to offer some tips to ensure a great event.

I have marked my calendar and will bring my judges apron with me! :icon_cool

Smokin Turkey
02-03-2010, 07:04 AM
PM sent.

Still working diligently on the whole thing. State reps are working with us to get this sanctioned!

Smokin Turkey
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
GREAT NEWS! Rangers have finally approved us for the event and our KCBS packet has been submitted with no problems anticipated. I'm told our website will be up in days and as soon as we get the KCBS approval, our vending and competitor apps will be available to download!

We are currently making sure the grounds are going to be kept safe and secure from prying eyes as we prepare. Today, I have just ordered and should be arriving soon the second layer of 20" thick white camo on the entire event location. It is a strict government secret about what we are doing here with this BBQ event so we can't have any BBQ spy satellites lurking!:rolleyes:

ClayHill
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
well you can keep that second layer of white camo, 20 inches at a time is getting ridiculous

Burk504
02-13-2010, 08:57 AM
I am psyched for this event....keep the updates coming.

Mike - CSBBBQ
02-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Looks like a great place. Another new contest within an easy drive. Have to see if we can attend :-D

DCFIREMANN
02-14-2010, 01:57 PM
It is a beautiful area. We are going to try to make this trip!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Smokin Turkey
02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Just keeping this up on the radar, things are still moving along. Our website and applications are soon to be released!

As soon as they come online, I will make the announcement!

:icon_cool

Smokin Turkey
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Newest update : KCBS confirms they meet next wednesday and we should have our answer Thursday!

We are still working on all other parts of the organization and our next meeting is next week!

Smokin Turkey
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Just found out we got our sanctioning! KCBS has approved us and our web builder is at a training until Friday so next week looks to be the soonest to get the website and applications finished and loaded.

Anyone who would be interested in teaching a BBQ related class for beginners, please let me know. I would like to have at least 4 of these and I have interest from one team already.

I am working on this as I get time this week but I am recovering from an extreme ear infection and head cold. Here is what I got last week...

Our gray water dump area is at the opposite end of the comp area. The power is being inspected and it looks like it is more than ample for everyone's needs! (which means no noisy generators!

We also want everyone to know, we want you guys to come and bring your families! We are putting a bunch of kids events together and entertainment as well as other fun things for everyone. We want you guys to be able to enjoy yourself and relax (except for those last few hours).

Thanks for everyone's patience! You'll all be happy to know we have a brand new restroom facility directly next to "BBQ Town" the comp area!

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/0305001232.jpg

The Giggler
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Brian,

Just wanted to let you know that we had to make a choice if we were going to cook New Holland or BBQ @ The Beach in Raystown. We passed on New Holland, and will be in your field this year. Very much looking forward to it!

Smokin Turkey
04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
That is great news! Ed Stoddard at the visitors center should be posting our apps very soon. Our drafts are ready to load on the site as far as I know. I'll call ed tonight to make sure. I'm excited! Did I mention I'm making a mini reverse flow for the gc?

Smokin Turkey
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
APP'S ARE READY!

Competitor apps are ready to be downloaded and mailed in!
We finally have our contest page working, and will be adding more info later.

http://raystown.org/barbeque

We are having a sanctioned KCBS event, we are looking for people who would be interested in giving a 30-45 min BBQ related class (im thinking anything from how to build a UDS to recipe how-to's) If you have a rub, tee shirts or whatever, feel free to sell them also. We will also be hosting a non-sanctioned grilling event for everyone (competitors and the public!)

The non-sanctioned grilling comp will be open garnish, open to any type of grill, and open to anyone who wants to participate! The events will be -

Hamburger
Pizza
Chef’s Choice

We are trying to get at least the hamburger supplied (1lb per team) but that will be announced later. Our judges will be local celebrities and major sponsors.

We are continuing to work on getting a proclamation signed so I will continue to update as we get word.

I am providing all the trophies and the GC is going to win a fully functional mini reverse flow specially designed for this competition! (and you better friggin' use it and not just set it on the mantle!!) lol.

Hurry and get your app's in as we are having 20 teams and making a definite cut off of 30. (we have approval for 30 teams max from the rangers for the first year)

I am continuing to work to get ice donated, we will have ample power, water, and we have a gray water dumping station on one side of "BBQ Town"

I'm looking forward to this BIG TIME!! I'm also working on making a special trophy for best decorated site so start stocking up now! (it's gotta be BBQ or team schwag related!)

ClayHill
04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
$300.......yikes

Smokin Turkey
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
it includes the KCBS and the grilling event with possibly hamburger included. like i posted earlier, we are trying to get ice sponsored.

ClayHill
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
well that fee will keep the local new crowd at bay. Free ice wouldn't be the clincher for me. Now meat on the other hand....I mean, its local for me and I'd like to be there.

What if one doesn't "grill"....or wont. Four meats keep me busy enough.

I'm not being critical....well maybe a little, my fear is other comp organizers (I sure hope you dont see this Eric) will see that entry and then next, guess what? I guess thats what its coming to....it will price the small guy out. I just hope you have a sucessful comp and bring a real bbq experiance to Huntingdon Co.

Hey Sal.......you wanna go halves with me? we could make up some wacky name, like "where the heck is my soap stone":-D, n/m I'll tell ya later

Smokin Turkey
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
i understand completely your concern. We had to make the cost fit the budget as well as keep it reasonable. I am donating most of the trophies and the event will buy a few from me but probably not even as much as the mini costs normally on my site. we are trying to make this a huge and fun event from bringing in live bands and family fun games and entertainment to advertising and renting the grounds and taking care of the cleanup and such.

i am not making a dime for my involvement but I am doing this for my love of the area and for BBQ. I want to bring the teams here to show off my area and I want the people in the area to get a taste of what a bbq competition is. I caught the bug and want to share the fun with everyone! Ive never organized a single thing in my life but I feel honored to be doing this thing and that makes it all worth it.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
to what place are the awards going to?

is there a list of awards yet?

Smokin Turkey
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm asking the lovely's that one. I don't know where I need to make them to and when ribbons will suffice. My plan so far is to make 1-3rd of each of the 4 classes and then the GC mini reverse flow and a fullsize 22" weber pro-series to the RGC.

This is so far only the plan. The only thing set in stone is that I am building a mini reverse flow for the GC.

I am also going to build a special trophy for the most decorated site. I will be picking this one out so do your best!
I'll let you know what I will be looking for - either a dedicated BBQ theme or the best to go with your given bbq team name. For you sal, id expect to see gnomes galore or a gnome operating your pits. lol.. be creative! It will be worth it!

timzcardz
04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm also working on making a special trophy for best decorated site so start stocking up now! (it's gotta be BBQ or team schwag related!)

Well now I'm going to have to give this some serious thought! :wink:

Let me check my calendar.

Smokin Turkey
04-29-2010, 10:13 AM

I was thinking of your awesome display at sayville when I thought of doing this. I loved how it added to the entire feel of the comp and made it fun for everyone who participated. I really hope to get 100% participation in the decorating. I will be doing it also as I will have my RV on site (self-proclaimed "Mayor of BBQ Town")

MikeR
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Be sure to keep me posted.

Brian- Good luck with everything.

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
If you were to win the GC for this event - would you rather have a lighter weight mini to display as a trophy or a heavier weight mini to use? This decision will effect the size and quality of the other awards.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
When we win we would love one we could use:clap2::becky:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
If you were to win the GC for this event - would you rather have a lighter weight mini to display as a trophy or a heavier weight mini to use? This decision will effect the size and quality of the other awards.

not that I have a shot at winning but if I had an award like that I would never use it, so the lighter would be fine.

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
well one vote for each. lol. see I have been learning about the teams just wanting to display their trophies even when they are something like a cutting board and a grill grate.. lol.

ClayHill
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
not that I have a shot at winning either, but ..........I would expect the real deal:-D, although I'd probably never use it.........its just the principle of being able to say that I can.

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I guess I should explain a little better. I would be building this the same way as the thicker models. Just with thinner steel. A lighter weight model would be in the neighborhood of 20 lbs. The heavier weight being 45-50lbs.

The lighter weight model would still function just as the heavier would except being less about being a heavy machine and being more about a working trophy you can actually hold over your head and say "GC BABY!" it wouldn't tear your mantle off if you happened to put it on the mantle and it would still Q.

Red Valley BBQ
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
it includes the KCBS and the grilling event with possibly hamburger included.

What is the schedule for the weekend? Is the grilling contest going to be on Friday evening and KCBS on Saturday? Or will they both be on the same day? Is there an price option if a team only wanted to do KCBS? I was hoping to attend and cook KCBS, but $300 is a little steep IMO, especially if I won't be doing the grilling contest.

Smokin Turkey
05-08-2010, 07:01 AM
The schedule should be posted soon on the site. Tentatively Friday will be the setup day, Saturday the grilling day, Sunday the KCBS day. Bands will play saturday and sunday. Hoping to have classes for the public all weekend.

Hope that helps.

ClayHill
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule

Smokin Turkey
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
You can come and set up Saturday just like any other competition if you choose to come late. The schedule for KCBS is staying the same as this is a 3 day event and has been announced on the KCBS website as such.

Smokin Turkey
05-08-2010, 08:40 AM
so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

WannaBeBBQueen
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

I know that's what we do :becky: Please try and remember that this is a first year event and Brian is busting his butt so we have a good time!!

The fee schedule is set up so we can be sanction by the KCBS. Hope this helps!

ClayHill
05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I do apologize for being so critical.....a bad character trait I suppose. I was really excited when I heard about an event close to home, but when I saw the fee I was taken back a bit......guess I just dont understand the cost involved in sanctioning w/KCBS. Guess I'm going to have to find a new hobby

btw, I fire my smoker around 3:00 am ......the morning of the contest.

Smokin Turkey
05-08-2010, 05:38 PM
It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I know its seems like the entry is high but....if you add $35.00 for electric to a base fee of $250.00 its not far off. I like the idea of custom awards, competing by a lake and the quick response to questions i have had, kinda hard to beat for $15.00.. shoot I cant even get answers from some comps , even when its basic like did you get my entry fee and is there water to the sites or do we have to carry buckets.. this is gonna be alot of fun!!

Smokin Turkey
05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
I was at a tourism summit yesterday to promote the event and get some help in Harrisburg with getting our state championship paperwork signed. I met with one of our senators who is totally on board with this event and has vowed to get us approved for the championship!

http://wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-news-fulltext?nxd_id=174255&watch=1

SmokeInDaEye
05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Looking forward to it.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Looking forward to it.

your not comming down for this one are you?

SmokeInDaEye
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm hoping to. Nothing on my calendar in September.

Smokin Turkey
05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Sweet! Would any of you guys be interested in doing a 30-45 min class for the public anything BBQ related. Suggested topics are how build a Uds to how to make (xxxx) BBQ on your grill or even oven I would also like a BBQ purist class but I think we need to make this as much an intro to BBQ as possible. you will have the opportunty to sell t shirts rubs or promote anything u want in the class.

The Giggler
05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!

Uuhhh, that $1k+ just starts to scratch the surface of that $50 a bottle High Roller Tequila.... :)

Smokin Turkey
05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I"VE GOT BIG NEWS!

shhh it's a secret!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I"VE GOT BIG NEWS!

shhh it's a secret!

thats just not right!!!:tsk:

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2010, 05:59 AM
I will get the updates posted on the kcbs site as soon as it happens and post here then.

Team apps are trickling in!

Smokin Turkey
05-20-2010, 09:08 AM
This just in!!!

All the competitors and their families will be provided a moonlit cruise on the lake courtesy of 7 points marina - tix will be provided to teams upon arrival to the comp. Cruise is on a large double decker cruise boat with a capacity of 125. Cruise will last 60-90 minutes and start at 9pm.

We will also have additional tix for sale to public to serve as a competitors/fans mixer.

We will have a potluck before the cruise and the cruise can also be a byob or food brought on board but the galley will not be open for the cruise.

Just another freebie i am working on to make this an excellent trip for everyone!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
talk about an organizer going well out of his way to make sure teams feel welcome!!:thumb::clap2: Im glad Im in on this one!!

Sledneck
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
damn PA contests sure do go all out for the teams

Smokin Turkey
05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
How many stick burners and wood chunk users will be coming to BBQ at the Beach?

I am working with a potential sponsor for this event on bringing down some single species hard woods and fruits.

We have available in splits:
-Maple
-White Oak
-Poplar
-Hickory

and in chunks:
-apple
-cherry
possibly others.

We need to get our requests in ahead of time. I'm looking for what you would be interested in using or getting together to purchase if I can't secure a sponsorship. I was already told 2 cords delivered would be $350 or less if I need to go that route.

Also, We are looking to secure sponsorship and possibly samples for the teams a local charcoal "Humphrey Charcoal" and they offer a lump and briquette. Any input you have on this would also help.

Working on making this great for you!

Smokin Turkey
05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Bump! If I could hear soon from anyone thinking of coming with a stick burner or have the need for local woods, as to species and amounts.

Thanks!!

We have a local CBS affiliate jumping on for the media sponsor which could net us some big celebs from across the networks!

Smokin Turkey
06-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Talked to at least 4 more teams this last weekend about coming to the comp!

I guess it hasn't been posted here but we are posting a guarantied prize pot of $6k. This along with KCBS fee's, and all the extras we are securing is why the contest fee's are $300 just in case anyone is wondering. Feel free to bring up any concerns here.

We are trying to include in our contract for a classic car cruise in night. also we just signed 2 more bands to the event. The competitors will have a VIP area to view the bands which they can come and go from as needed as we understand what it takes to keep the team going!

Smokin Turkey
06-25-2010, 06:34 AM
I've been busy and have been neglecting this thread. We have a facebook fanpage where competitors, vendors, and the public can talk about what's coming up. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-County-Customs-Fans/323678455870?v=app_2344061033&ref=ts#!/pages/Barbeque-At-The-Beach-Raystown-Lake/106207189428498?ref=ts)

We are working on a bunch of more freebies for this comp and discount meat packages for the competitors. What would you like to see in a discount package from a local butcher? This is what I am proposing as a package from one of our potential sponsors...

2 - full packer briskets, 2 - bone in butts, 4 - racks of spare ribs, 12 chicken thighs. Any other suggestions to talk to our sponsor about?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-25-2010, 11:05 AM
how many teams are you up to?

The onsite meat delivery sounds kinda cool, man your going the extra mile on this!!!:clap2:

Smokin Turkey
06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Fresh in from our press release!!!

PENNSYLVANIA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROCLAMATION. Governor Edward G. Rendell has proclaimed Barbeque at the Beach, Raystown Lake to be a Pennsylvania state championship barbeque event. September 17, 18, 19, 2010 at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon County PA!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::c lap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::cl ap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::c lap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::cl ap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Fresh in from our press release!!!

PENNSYLVANIA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROCLAMATION. Governor Edward G. Rendell has proclaimed Barbeque at the Beach, Raystown Lake to be a Pennsylvania state championship barbeque event. September 17, 18, 19, 2010 at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon County PA!

FARKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Smokin Turkey
06-27-2010, 07:05 PM
FRESH IN FROM RELEASE!!

We are now an official BATTLE OF THE BRETHREN EVENT!

What does that mean? I'll let Eric elaborate on this but we are not only open to members of the brethren. Just helping get the brethren message out!

BBQchef33
06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
FRESH IN FROM RELEASE!!

We are now an official BATTLE OF THE BRETHREN EVENT!

What does that mean? I'll let Eric elaborate on this but we are not only open to members of the brethren. Just helping get the brethren message out!

CATS OF OF THE BAG!

First a BIG thanks to Brian for putting our tag on BBQ at The Beach.

This is the first step in branding a series of contests nation wide with The Brethren name. Our goal is to eventually bring a known and recognized standard of excellence to these contests.

Future contests tagged "Battles of The BBQ Brethren" will conform to a footprint we have established over the past few years giving organizers many options to go 'outside of the box' to create contest that is team friendly, and while bringing a known and standard set of variables to the table, will also tests our teams creativity and abilities beyond the norm. Currently, contests can be sanctioned under any of the major organizations(KCBS,FBA, NEBS, etc..), OR unsanctioned and using the "Brethren Rules" which will be posted within the next few months.

Brian and the organizers of BBQ at the Beach are getting in on the ground floor. Our team will be working with Brian as much as we can to help this contest be a a huge success. With our tag comes nation wide exposure, advertising in Smoke Signals, here on the forum(as soon as I get it in place), and in the Bull sheet. We are also opening up the resources we have built over the past 3 years as well as a couple of secret weapons. :wink:

I am also working on another forum area and web presence specifically for our contests, including electronic registration. We will work with contest organizers to ensure the contest is run as smooth as possible and once established, teams and judges will realize that we will go to great lengths to maintain high standards at these contests. Hopefully, with our nationwide(ok, international ) presence and cooperative efforts of organizers, reps, teams and judges, we will be able to build a strong resource for organizing teams to turn to for anything thats needed in the regions.

We are at the ground floor. 7 years into our organization with 15000+ members. This will take time, and effort. We have high hopes, but realistic expectations. All I can say is someday................:thumb:

(Mods.... split this off it hijacks brians contest thread.)

Smokin Turkey
06-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I am honored to have the opportunity to do this with you phil, eric, and the rest of the brethren! I look to put on a great event and have some great big shoes to fill from Mike's Boston Hills event, Brian's RocCity, Willy B's 'Pallooza, and all the others I went to last year!

I look forward to doing this event and seeing all my BBQ Brothers and Sisters!

CTSmokehouse
06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey! This is big time! WTG!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CATS OF OF THE BAG!

First a BIG thanks to Brian for putting our tag on BBQ at The Beach.

This is the first step in branding a series of contests nation wide with The Brethren name. Our goal is to eventually bring a known and recognized standard of excellence to these contests.

Future contests tagged "Battles of The BBQ Brethren" will conform to a footprint we have established over the past few years giving organizers many options to go 'outside of the box' to create contest that is team friendly, and while bringing a known and standard set of variables to the table, will also tests our teams creativity and abilities beyond the norm. Currently, contests can be sanctioned under any of the major organizations(KCBS,FBA, NEBS, etc..), OR unsanctioned and using the "Brethren Rules" which will be posted within the next few months.

Brian and the organizers of BBQ at the Beach are getting in on the ground floor. Our team will be working with Brian as much as we can to help this contest be a a huge success. With our tag comes nation wide exposure, advertising in Smoke Signals, here on the forum(as soon as I get it in place), and in the Bull sheet. We are also opening up the resources we have built over the past 3 years as well as a couple of secret weapons. :wink:

I am also working on another forum area and web presence specifically for our contests, including electronic registration. We will work with contest organizers to ensure the contest is run as smooth as possible and once established, teams and judges will realize that we will go to great lengths to maintain high standards at these contests. Hopefully, with our nationwide(ok, international ) presence and cooperative efforts of organizers, reps, teams and judges, we will be able to build a strong resource for organizing teams to turn to for anything thats needed in the regions.

We are at the ground floor. 7 years into our organization with 15000+ members. This will take time, and effort. We have high hopes, but realistic expectations. All I can say is someday................:thumb:

(Mods.... split this off it hijacks brians contest thread.)

Scottie
07-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Very nice Poobah.

Smokin Turkey
07-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone! Go BIG or Go Home right? I am one to want to do all I can to help out the brethren and what Phil does as well as get more people into BBQ and what real BBQ is. People here think its opening a bag of potato chips which is why the working name on this event during development was "WTH is BBQ?" which I think we should still title our classes which are open to the public.

We are asking teams if they would like to put on a 30-45 min "class" on BBQ for everything from how to build a UDS, recipe demos, and basic BBQ knowledge classes. Even if people dont have a "PIT" they could do something in the oven or a gas grill. We can get all purist next year when we have people slightly knowledgeable as well as talking here on the forums. I ordered my Brethren banner to put on my RV which will be in the middle of the COMP area to further show this is the place to share ideas and knowledge.

The teams will have the ability to be more open with the public at our event where we welcome people to walk around and talk with the teams and buy your tee shirts, bbq rubs/sauces, and small children :laugh:

If there is anything I can be doing, please let me know. I am scheduled to meet the meat supplier next week to talk packages and onsite delivery so please let me know if you have input. I already posted the packages I am suggesting to the butcher along with individual prices of meats for people who either don't need it all or need more of each event.

THANKS!

ClayHill
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
how many teams are you up to?

I'm kind of curious as well?

I'm not sure if The Sauce Works has sent in thier app, but I'll be one of the guys cooking on that team

Smokey-T
07-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Though I am not yet worthy of competition.... I would be interested in being someones pit biatch. That way I can help and learn (and hopefully partake of some liquid refreshments).

I assume there are camping sites available?

Thanks,

Ted

Smokin Turkey
07-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Sorry I am in Chicago on business. I'll ask ed to chime in here otherwise I'll get you guys some answers when I'm back or you could call 888-raystown x11 to speak with Ed directly.

Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok - Right now we have 2 teams with registrations in. We have 18 teams who have promised us to come. After talking to a couple teams, we understand why we don't have more applications with money being tight, the comp still being 2.5 months away and the teams still having fees for other comps., we understand. Just chalk our nervousness up to being new event hosts! lol. We really look forward to giving a great event and catering to the teams.

If you are coming, please post up here to let other know. I will be posting pictures of the awards very shortly. I will begin working on these as soon as early next week.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Ok - Right now we have 2 teams with registrations in. We have 18 teams who have promised us to come. After talking to a couple teams, we understand why we don't have more applications with money being tight, the comp still being 2.5 months away and the teams still having fees for other comps., we understand. Just chalk our nervousness up to being new event hosts! lol. We really look forward to giving a great event and catering to the teams.

If you are coming, please post up here to let other know. I will be posting pictures of the awards very shortly. I will begin working on these as soon as early next week.

I think you should only let the 2 teams with their registrations in compete and make every one else just watch,,,just saying..:crazy:

Black Cat BBQ
07-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Oh Stinky!! you'd like that wouldn't ya?? We are in. Am mailing the app Monday. PROMISE!!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Oh Stinky!! you'd like that wouldn't ya?? We are in. Am mailing the app Monday. PROMISE!!!

shouldnt you be cooking chili in Texas or something?

Black Cat BBQ
07-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Drive all the way to Texas when we can hop across the PA boarder and harass you?? Hmmmm let's think about that one. :)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Drive all the way to Texas when we can hop across the PA boarder and harass you?? Hmmmm let's think about that one. :)

time to alert the boarder patrol....

actually it will be nice to see you both, cant ask for much better of a setting for a comp..

Smokin Turkey
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm doing a short demo and food tasting at this tuesday's wake up reception taking place at the visitor's center. It's open to everyone so if you are in the area, stop over! I'll be doing some wings in the new pit for sampling.

It's 930-1030am.

Not sure if I fully answered people asking earlier - Yes there are campsites nearby and actually on the grounds of the 7 points recreation area. You can make reservations at the following link - http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact myself via PM although it's safe to ask here, or you can call Ed Stoddard at 888-RAYSTOWN x11. He is my partner in setting this up.

Thanks!

Sal - we doing a seafood boil at this comp? I've been thinking of netting a bunch of crayfish here locally for my own boil! lol. That greenlane boil last year has been craving another!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm doing a short demo and food tasting at this tuesday's wake up reception taking place at the visitor's center. It's open to everyone so if you are in the area, stop over! I'll be doing some wings in the new pit for sampling.

It's 930-1030am.

Not sure if I fully answered people asking earlier - Yes there are campsites nearby and actually on the grounds of the 7 points recreation area. You can make reservations at the following link - http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact myself via PM although it's safe to ask here, or you can call Ed Stoddard at 888-RAYSTOWN x11. He is my partner in setting this up.

Thanks!

Sal - we doing a seafood boil at this comp? I've been thinking of netting a bunch of crayfish here locally for my own boil! lol. That greenlane boil last year has been craving another!

we could do a big feed on Friday night, the boil was fun but its been done b4, a fish fry maybe, or a big pot luck...:thumb:

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2010, 07:17 AM
we could do a big feed on Friday night, the boil was fun but its been done b4, a fish fry maybe, or a big pot luck...:thumb:
Whatever you need, just let me know. I dont think I can candle organizing another thing with this event (lol) but I can give you tent space or anything else you may need to pull it off. Are you then organizing the potluck/team dinner? :wink:

WannaBeBBQueen
07-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Whatever you need, just let me know. I dont think I can candle organizing another thing with this event (lol) but I can give you tent space or anything else you may need to pull it off. Are you then organizing the potluck/team dinner? :wink:

An excellent nomination, Sal the job is your and if you need any help I'd be more than willing :becky:

Thanks for volunteering:clap2:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
An excellent nomination, Sal the job is your and if you need any help I'd be more than willing :becky:

Thanks for volunteering:clap2:

I didnt know I was volunteering!!!!!!!

so,are we going fancy = steak and fish etc...
or fun...burgers,dogs etc..

let me know what everyones thoughts are.

Sal

WannaBeBBQueen
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
well here are some themes:

It’s a Small World
An International Potluck with specialties from around the world creates a bold, engaging atmosphere. Invite a smorgasbord of Italian, French, German, African, Moroccan, Indian, Canadian, Greek, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, or Thai cuisine into your menu. From an authentic antipasto salad to a Chinese chicken slaw, the possibilities are endless!
Mexican Fiesta
Everything about the Mexican Potluck emphasizes family, friends and tradition. Tortilla chips & guacamole, taco shells, refried beans, seasoned shredded chicken or ground beef, fajitas, enchiladas, Spanish rice and diced mango will really give your potluck old world sizzle.
Breakfast for Dinner
A Breakfast Potluck featuring an assortment of rich and delicious breakfast items is always a huge crowd pleaser. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, country ham, French toast, coffee cake, sausage, cheese quiche and a variety of jellies, jams and syrups will have even your finicky eaters asking for seconds.
Southern BBQ
There are few things in the South more universally revered than good southern barbecue potluck. A good old plentiful potluck may include culinary delights like cornbread squares or muffins, baked beans, bbq pulled pork or beef sandwiches, cole slaw, macaroni & cheese, peach cobbler or cherry pie.
Alphabet Soup
With 26 letters to choose from, pick one and run with it! Things that start with "C" may become a creative cornucopia that can include chili, chowder, chicken, carrots, cauliflower, calamari, chips, cucumbers, corn, couscous, cake, coconut, cookies, curly fries, chocolate and candy.
Memory Lane
A Comfort Food Potluck has its own unique style and invokes feelings of nostalgia and warmth. Home style favorites like macaroni and cheese, chicken & dumplings, chili, mashed potatoes, pork chops & gravy, meatloaf, apple pie and chocolate chip cookies are a few potluck hall of famers.
Heart & Soul
A Soul Food Potluck is a tasteful delight for all to experience and enjoy at least once, and this creative theme is a favorite among cooks and food lovers alike. Potluck showstoppers may include fried chicken, pork ribs, succotash, corn bread, okra, black eyed peas, shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes, collard greens and beans over rice.
Giving Thanks
It doesn’t have to be Thanksgiving Day to give thanks and host a party that features all of your holiday favorites. Even if you get a new twist on an old classic, roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie can be enjoyed all year round.
The Last Meal
This unique potluck theme lets your guests choose any item to bring… as long as it begins with the first letter of their last name. Sarah Smith can bring spaghetti, Barbara Brown can bring buffalo wings, Mary Martin can bring mud pie and so on….and so on.
Barnyard Fun
For a fun down-home feel, you can enjoy a collection of dishes made from anything you would find on a farm. This theme offers a wide variety of food, from vegetarian to meat-inspired, plus the usual range of desserts and breads. There is a lot to choose from but popular meals are barnyard stew, chicken pot pie, roasted pork, sliced turkey, creamed corn, fresh fruits and vegetables, egg salad and zucchini bread to name a few.

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I have 3 nominations for themes I think would be fun.

German Theme! - brats, beer, cabbage and did I say beer?

Creole - nuff said?

Hawaiian luau - PIGS, pineapples, tiki torches, coconut bikinis.. :thumb:

As long as Sal gets in a coconut bikini, you know what I'm voting for!!

Sledneck
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I didnt know I was volunteering!!!!!!!

so,are we going fancy = steak and fish etc...
or fun...burgers,dogs etc..

let me know what everyones thoughts are.

Salfried chicken and waffles

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Sled is coming? That means we will get the sledcast!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
fried chicken and waffles
oh now that sounds good!:clap2:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
if you are planing on competing at this event and would like to attend the Friday night "pot luck" let me know so we can look at a menu/theme.thanks!!

Sal

Smokin Turkey
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
This just in from the Raystown office, They are calling this a stimulus package...

The powers that be would like to get the applications rolling in and is not so concerned with the payments right now so they are offering extending the early entry fee set to expire this week to anyone who gets their team applications in now. The payment will need to be in within 30 days to get the $25 off the entry fee.

ok so get your applications in mailed before Friday and get the lower entry fee rate. payment will be due in 30 days. Any questions? Sorry I'm just relaying the message. I'll now take questions. :-D

Smokin Turkey
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
if you are planing on competing at this event and would like to attend the Friday night "pot luck" let me know so we can look at a menu/theme.thanks!!

Sal
I'll attend! Just let me know the theme and I'll make sure I or the wife will bring something!

fillyfish44
07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Just mailed the check today. Looking forward to my first competition! I'm sure I'll have some laughs! Team F & F Bar-B-Q

Smokin Turkey
07-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Cool! I had no idea PA even had a Denver! Looking forward to meeting you.

fillyfish44
07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Yep. Right between Lancaster and Reading. My neighbor and I have been smoking for a couple years and I've taken it pretty seriously. Bought a Meadow Creek TS250 in the spring and I've probably annoyed Ed with my emailing since then making sure there was still a spot. We'll have a bunch of folks with us to witness us and drink some beer. Now I'll ask all my questions on this thread:idea:

fillyfish44
07-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while before actually taking the plunge and registering. It certainly seems like there are bunch of good people involved with these things! The help and tips and all that is awesome. I'm just starting to put my list together and I'm quickly learning I would have not thought of a whole bunch of little stuff without this and other threads!

Black Cat BBQ
07-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Sal

We'll help out with this...like the idea of waffles and fried chicken too!

Smokin Turkey
07-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Filly - I dont think you've annoyed Ed at all! We are here to help you and make this as enjoyable and comfortable as possible for the competitors. If the teams are happy, the people will come. We are glad you will be coming! If you would like, we are planning a judges class at the visitors center for thursday before the event so Sept 16th. I will post more info as that becomes available. I know I will be taking it just so it will help me in my competitions.

PS - waffles and fried chicken is an awesome idea!

Smokin Turkey
07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I just did a warm up for nearly 100 people at the lake. I took my new build over to the visitors center and slow cooked 360 wings, then seared and sauced them. It was a great time and everyone is getting excited about the event!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs025.ash2/34606_112904208758796_106207189428498_83983_706876 1_n.jpghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs187.snc4/37664_112904258758791_106207189428498_83987_119679 9_n.jpg

fillyfish44
07-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the invite Turkey. What are the time and cost details? We haven't decided if we're rolling in Thursday or Friday but this might seal the decision. I've wanted to take the judges class for a while. Also what are the details of the open grilling comp? I didn't include that in my entry cause I figured I'll have enough on my mind.

fillyfish44
07-14-2010, 07:35 AM
By the way Turkey....that's a sweet rig!

Smokin Turkey
07-14-2010, 12:10 PM
By the way Turkey....that's a sweet rig!

Thanks! As for the judging class, that is a fee set by KCBS and I believe it is $50 a person which we do not see a dime of. It all goes to KCBS but someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it goes to your membership also.

As for the open grilling, it is included in the comp package of $300 which includes a 20x30 space, water electric and 1 bag ice per team, KCBS entry, open grilling, 1 lb of hamburger per team, a welcome gift, entry into the best decorated site contest, a lake cruise friday night, and more to come. On site meat delivery is now an option also which we are working up a price for now. but it will be delivered Friday night in plenty of time for meat inspections Saturday.

On another note - Ed sent me an email asking me to post this after he read my response to you about the annoyance.

"Good post and accurate. I like hearing from everyone! If the teams are happy, the visitors will be happy. Let me know anything else? Please teams, get apps in postmarked 7/15. Payment can come by 8/15 and that is fine. We are limiting the field to 25 teams in our first year, so forms need to arrive for a spot to be reserved. I am counting down the days until Barbeque at the Beach! Yesterday's preview event was a lot of fun. -- Ed, [email protected]"

Thanks and keep the dialogue going! This is exciting!!

Sledneck
07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
We'll help out with this...like the idea of waffles and fried chicken too!

PS - waffles and fried chicken is an awesome idea!

oh now that sounds good!:clap2:

Sound like a we have a winner!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Sound like a we have a winner!

I'm sure I can get some waffle irons to borrow, but who is bringing the real maple syrup and real butter? these are the important question in life. If some one want to help, I'll make the waffles :becky:

We'll need coated plates, forks, knives & napkins, who else is in??

Sledneck
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm sure I can get some waffle irons to borrow, but who is bringing the real maple syrup and real butter? these are the important question in life. If some one want to help, I'll make the waffles :becky:

i have waffle iron as well as I know how to make killer waffles

Black Cat BBQ
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM

I can handle the plates, forks and knives for sure!

Smokin Turkey
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll bring the tent!

No seriously, I'll bring a tent but what should I do to help out?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-15-2010, 06:59 AM
I have a deep fryer and can get the chicken. What chicken parts do we want? I have never done anything more then wings in the deep fryer. Is there a coating I can get for the chicken? brand?

we will need a head count closer to the event.

Sal

WannaBeBBQueen
07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I'll bring the tent!

No seriously, I'll bring a tent but what should I do to help out?

We still need syrup and butter :becky:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Im sure that will be the easy part....

do you also need a kiddie pool and some jello to roll around in?:laugh:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats great.....I am a "rookie" competitor and am always looking for closer contest. I'll keep my eyes open for more details. I love the drive to raystown

you aint no rookie...rookie...:boxing:

Smokin Turkey
07-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Are any Canadian Amish teams coming? :laugh:

Sledneck
07-16-2010, 07:50 AM
I have a deep fryer and can get the chicken. What chicken parts do we want? I have never done anything more then wings in the deep fryer. Is there a coating I can get for the chicken? brand?

we will need a head count closer to the event.

Sal
I am sure others can chime in but heres what i would do. Soak chicken overnite in buttermilk. Mix up flower, paprika,cayenne,salt & pepper. Dredge the chicken in that flour mix and drop in the fryer. As far as parts go, they are all used: breast, thigh, leg and wings

Smokin Turkey
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll bring butter!

ClayHill
07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I just did a warm up for nearly 100 people at the lake. I took my new build over to the visitors center and slow cooked 360 wings, then seared and sauced them. It was a great time and everyone is getting excited about the event!

That's a great looking unit.....reminiscence of a stumps reverse flow :thumb:. Please tell me your burning sticks in that thing?

Smokin Turkey
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
That's a great looking unit.....reminiscence of a stumps reverse flow :thumb:. Please tell me your burning sticks in that thing?

Thanks! I haven't burned sticks yet since I don't have it but I've been burning lump. I use compressed wood chips for flavor. This last burn was briquettes which were terrible to get hot enough.

fillyfish44
07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
First, changed the name...F & F BBQ was way too not good. fff Q is the new name and we're officially named on the "who's in" list.
Ok, some probably redundant questions...

The lake cruise is Friday night? What time?
The bands are who and when?
What time is the Judging Class on Friday?
What time are the awards on Sunday?
Arethe cooking demo/classes mandatory and when are they?

None of these questions are asked with attitude, I'm just trying to piece this thing together mentally. I for some reason thought the main comp was Saturday so I just actually learned that it is Sunday.

All answers would be much appreciated. THANKS!!

Smokin Turkey
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
The lake cruise is Friday night? What time?
The bands are who and when?
What time is the Judging Class on Friday?
What time are the awards on Sunday?
Arethe cooking demo/classes mandatory and when are they?

All answers would be much appreciated. THANKS!!
-The lake cruise will be after the potluck and live music. I believe we are looking at a 10pm cruise and it will be 60-90 min.
-The band info I have is only that we are having them Friday and Saturday Night, a kids area is set up for Saturday, a classic car cruise is set for Sunday. I tried to reach Ed for specifics on all this but he is unavailable. If you would like, feel free to give him a call directly at 888-RAYSTOWN X11.
-The judging class is set for Thursday and we are working all that out with the Lovlies who are our KCBS reps.
-Awards are tentatively posted for 4pm Sunday.
-Cooking class / demo's are not mandatory and will be scheduled soon for a few hours Saturday. If you are interested, send me a PM or call Ed to get listed and discuss your given topic.

I wish I could answer these questions better but I have been out of the loop with Ed for about 2 weeks now.

I'll get you better answers ASAP! Keep'em coming!

Smokin Turkey
07-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Got some edits and additions to the last post. Spoke with Ed via email and this is what the skinny is...

Ed: We have the Princess lake cruiser 9-10:30ish p.m. I am planning to leave dock by 9:15.
Ed: Velveeta (80scheese.com (http://80scheese.com/)) will end their set around 8:30p on Friday night. Velveeta is playing Sat. night 6ish until 8:30. Shadow 9 is playing 7-10p Saturday. Velveeta is all 80s. Shadow 9 is a little bit of everything with classic rock-today's alt rock.
Ed/Brian: A kids area is set up for Saturday, a classic car cruise is set for Sunday. It is getting more likely that we are going to have music on Sunday also. Jazz or bluegrass or ? -- a couple local bands have offered to come play. I might do an open stage...still deciding.
Brian/Ed: Give Ed a call directly at 888-RAYSTOWN X11 with any questions. Leave a voicemail on my ext. 11 if I am not there.
Brian: The judging class is set for Thursday and we are working all that out with the Lovlies who are our KCBS reps
Brian: Awards are tentatively posted for 4pm Sunday
Brian/Ed: Cooking class / demo's are not mandatory and will be scheduled soon for a few hours Saturday. If you are interested, send me a PM or call Ed to get listed and discuss your given topic. Ed: yeah! sign up and give us an idea of topic.

Smokin Turkey
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Waiting to hear back from the butcher about the onsite meat delivery and the possibility of getting aged briskets. I am guessing the briskets will be fresh as they come from local beef. I couldnt talk to him today as he was out on the floor. I will keep adding as it becomes available! :thumb:

Smokin Turkey
07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm a certified thread killer! lol.

ClayHill
07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure you cant kill a thread you started, there's got to be a rule about that somewhere. :-D I hope things are progressing well and apps are still coming in...

ClayHill
07-24-2010, 10:11 AM
aww man........ just looked at your updated list, I shouldn't have done that

Smokin Turkey
07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Wy not? We are getting apps in as we get closer. I've just been busy this week outside if this event and haven't been able to follow up on things.

ClayHill
07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
no.......its nothing you have done or not done.......some pretty hot teams of late will be there, thats all I was refering too

Smokin Turkey
07-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh! I definately get you there! I'm excited to see it come together!

Sledneck
07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
aww man........ just looked at your updated list, I shouldn't have done that

I know what you are saying!! That marzoni brick oven pizza team is gonna kick some ass!

ClayHill
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
I know what you are saying!! That marzoni brick oven pizza team is gonna kick some ass!

eeeeasy killer.......:-D

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
how many teams are comming in Friday ?

ClayHill
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
how many teams are comming in Friday ?

haven't decided yet.........smokin pork for 200 (paying gig)on Friday morning........might just keep the fire going on my way up:-P

about that moonlight lake criuse........the moon wont be around that night.....hope that lake monster stays deep:shocked:

Smokin Turkey
07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
haven't decided yet.........smokin pork for 200 (paying gig)on Friday morning........might just keep the fire going on my way up:-P

about that moonlight lake criuse........the moon wont be around that night.....hope that lake monster stays deep:shocked:

I was told it was suposed to be a 1/2 moon. I dunno. I've spent many nights on that lake. :)

ClayHill
07-26-2010, 10:14 PM
my bad.......just checked, it should be aroun 75%.

Smokin Turkey
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
This just in!

On site meat delivery for our competitors includes 2 8-9 lb bone in butts, 2 packer briskets, 4 st Louis ribs, 12 pieces of chicken thighs all for $110 delivered sept 17th! Order now for no extra charge wet aging briskets. Call Brenneman's @ 814-643-2751 to place orders. They are also supplying 1 lb to each team of 80/20 ground beef for the grilling comp free! Thanks Brenneman's!*

Smokin Turkey
08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Please also post here if you order the meat so we can also keep track of how many go for it. Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone getting in on the Meat deal? Also - Grilling competition will be open garnish so anything goes! Pizza dough can be pre-made and topping be pre-cooked but no pre-assembly.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
has anyone thought about the pot luck on Friday night, who is all coming in on Friday?

fillyfish44
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Well we changed our name again...I'm sure we're developing a whole bunch of street cred! There are three of us and before we get our banners and stuff done it was important that we had a name that suited us all. So after many suggestions one of our wives hit the home run with Little Dickee Q. I won't even begin to explain! This one's a keeper so if you saw F&F BBQ up on the Raystown site for a day or two and then fff Q for a few weeks and are wondering why they both disappeared now you know. Being our first competition I doubt anybody really cares though.

So responding to Smokin Gnome's question we're coming in Thursday. A bunch of our friends are supposedly coming up either Friday or Saturday so I was waiting get an idea of which specific night they'll be there before committing to the pot luck. I figured meeting you all for the first time might be better if we don't have 15-20 friends (probably drinking) with us. If they're not coming till Saturday I'm sure the three of us (and wives) will participate.

Also, are we stuck at 8 teams? We are looking at another event in Mt. Airy Maryland in October and I think they haven't had a strong response yet either.

Slamdunkpro
08-23-2010, 12:12 PM
has anyone thought about the pot luck on Friday night, who is all coming in on Friday?
Right now I'm planning on coming in Friday but I don't know about the rest of the team yet.

Chipper
08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Also, are we stuck at 8 teams?

I hope a few more can make it and will be there next year for sure.

Slamdunkpro
08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Also, are we stuck at 8 teams?
I think it's at 10 or 12 now.

fillyfish44
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Hopefully they keep coming in....

Slamdunkpro
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Late season and first time comps always get late entries.

Skip
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about the number of teams. Well run events always seem to fill up.

Smokin Turkey
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
I could be wrong but I think we are at 16 teams right now and are cutting it off at 25. Keeping the judges even and all that.

Sorry I've been kinda busy with some shop stuff lately, got a new truck, buying a few hundred $K in machines and stuff. YIKES!!

Anyway, anyone who comes in Friday will get to take the late night lake cruise on the big boat we've got for the judges, teams, families, and yeah, even phil if he comes too!

(we are an equal opportunity cruise ship scheduler :laugh:)

Smokin Turkey
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
We actually have 12 teams with paperwork in and more promising to send it in. We are only counting the teams who have sent in paperwork as enrolled. We are taking the first 25 teams who get their paperwork in.

Black Cat BBQ
08-24-2010, 06:01 PM

stink - we'll be there around 5pmish, I think. Maybe earlier. Tracey sounded like she was trying to talk Jon into comimg this past w/e...maybe you should work on him too?? :becky:

sounds like a great w/e!!

widespread
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Hmmmmm... might be a good weekend to be Stinky Black Spread? The newest bbq supergroup?
Can't do Raystown this year. Doing Shrewsbury the week before, can't do back to back in fall. We're way too busy at work. Plus Harrisburg is 2 weeks after that.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
stink - we'll be there around 5pmish, I think. Maybe earlier. Tracey sounded like she was trying to talk Jon into comimg this past w/e...maybe you should work on him too?? :becky:

sounds like a great w/e!!

I already tried, he wont budge!!! Cant wait for the debut of StinkyBlackSpread, sound like too much fun!!!

Sal

Sledneck
08-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Hmmmmm... might be a good weekend to be Stinky Black Spread? The newest bbq supergroup?
Can't do Raystown this year. Doing Shrewsbury the week before, can't do back to back in fall. We're way too busy at work. Plus Harrisburg is 2 weeks after that.

just do it!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
come on now...here is an event that is K.C.B.S. sanctioned, is in a great location, has great cooker friendly activities available and...................ITS NOT SOLD OUT YET!!!!!! come on , every one complains about not having enough comps...well here is one comp tring to do everything right.........nice pay outs...super cool awards.........and its a BBQ BRETHREN event... send in that check and lets go!!!

just so you know, there aint one of you mudder cluckers that can beat me (o.k. I suck but come on) lets try and make sure this happens next year...(what are you chicken?)

I hope some of you on the fence join in..

Sal (I am 8 pounders short of the 12 pack I bought)

Smokin Turkey
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks gnome! It's true you know lol!

Has anyone placed an order for the meat package? Does it look like a good deal?
2 packers
2 bone in butts
4 st Louis ribs
12 thighs
all delivered on site
$110

Black Cat BBQ
08-26-2010, 06:36 AM

2 packers
2 bone in butts
4 st Louis ribs
12 thighs
all delivered on site
$110

Not yet, can you send me the info? I know its posted on here somewhere...too lazy to search. :rolleyes:

WannaBeBBQueen
08-26-2010, 08:07 AM
We're coming in on Friday too! can't wait!! Who's bring the syrup and butter for the potluck?

Smokin Turkey
08-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Not yet, can you send me the info? I know its posted on here somewhere...too lazy to search. :rolleyes:

Grilling competition, on-site meat delivery to teams:
On site meat delivery for our competitors includes 2 8-9 lb bone in butts, 2 packer briskets, 4 St Louis ribs, 12 pieces of chicken thighs all for $110 delivered Sept 17th! Order now for no extra charge wet aging briskets. Call Brenneman's @ 814-643-2751 to place orders for Barbeque at the Beach competition. They are also supplying 1 lb to each team of 80/20 ground beef for the grilling comp free! Thanks Brenneman's!

No problem. Do you think that looks like a good deal? I really think I'll be getting a few of these to put in my freezer at those prices!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-26-2010, 08:24 AM
We're coming in on Friday too! can't wait!! Who's bring the syrup and butter for the potluck?

doesnt look like very many teams are comming in, we may have to rethink the pot luck idea. Maybe have everyone bring a dish of some sort..

Smokin Turkey
08-26-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1381652#post1381652

Black Cat BBQ
08-26-2010, 05:24 PM
No problem. Do you think that looks like a good deal? I really think I'll be getting a few of these to put in my freezer at those prices!

looks like a great deal to me! :clap2:

Skip
08-26-2010, 06:57 PM

2 packers
2 bone in butts
4 st Louis ribs
12 thighs
all delivered on site
$110

Weights and grade?

EDIT: i see the 8-9 lbs butts. Will the briskets be 15's? If not can we request for a premium? The prices are on par with RD it seems and you don't need to buy the volume of ribs to get the St. Louis cut. Also don't need to lug it there. Butcher quality at RD prices seems nice.

ClayHill
08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
yeah.......that is a great deal, but I am kind of a meat control freak. And spare ribs...who in the heck uses spare ribs:wink::-D

Smokin Turkey
08-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I can give you a number and a contact to call. They could tell you everything you want to know about the meat. Some of it comes in pre-cryo'd and some is fresh butchered in house. You could probably select from what he brings in on Friday or you could special order weights and stuff.

ClayHill
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I can give you a number and a contact to call. They could tell you everything you want to know about the meat. Some of it comes in pre-cryo'd and some is fresh butchered in house. You could probably select from what he brings in on Friday or you could special order weights and stuff.

Yeah a number would be good(just send me a PM)

Smokin Turkey
08-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Yeah a number would be good(just send me a PM)

Sorry! I forgot to actually put it in the post! I'm all over the place I'll tell you!

Brenneman's Meat Market
211 South 10th Street Huntingdon, PA 16652
(814) 643-2751

Owners Joe and Janice Brenneman
http://site.brennemansmeatmarket.com/Home.php

Slamdunkpro
08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Is there a competitors package that's going to go out with the rules for the hamburger/pizza/chef's choice event on Saturday?

Smokin Turkey
08-27-2010, 03:50 PM
We have these posted on our website which is in my sig, and you will receive rules in your welcome packet. Summarized, Open Garnish - You call it a burger - we believe you! , Pizza - pre-made dough, frozen dough, make your own dough, all ok. All toppings can be raw, preseasoned, or pre-cooked. The pizza's may not be pre-assembled, pre-cooked, delivery (duh) and must be cooked on site by gas, wood, charcoal, electric, solar, nuked, microwaved, or something else? Chef's choice can be anything. anything, anything. Just make it safe and edible. I think that should cover all the bases.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Should we make the open garnish only open to edible garnishes? (no money or marking remember!?!?!?)

Slamdunkpro
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
No cooking method restrictions on Chef's Choice - same as pizza?

Turn in containers? size? type? You provide? We Provide?

One suggestion - you should email the Grilling / pizza / chef's choice rule sheet to all the competitors prior to Friday so people have a chance to shop & plan before arriving on site.

Not everyone reads these forums.

Smokin Turkey
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
No cooking method restrictions on Chef's Choice - same as pizza?
Are you bringing your microwave? I'd say it should be a grill of some sort to be a grilling comp. I opened to electric for the forman's.

Turn in containers? size? type? You provide? We Provide?
We are providing. Good question!

Not everyone reads these forums. why not? They really should! :rolleyes:

Slamdunkpro
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Are you bringing your microwave? I'd say it should be a grill of some sort to be a grilling comp. I opened to electric for the forman's.

We are providing. Good question!

why not? They really should! :rolleyes:
So,,,it should (opinion) be done on a grill or it has(rule) to be done on a grill? The whole dish has to be done on the grill or only part of it? If only part, how much?

Burger turn it: How many burgers have to be turned in? (A lot of burger comps make you turn in 2 whole burgers) 1? 2? 6? 1 sliced into 6 parts?

Same question with Pizza - whole pie? 6 slices? 6 pies?

Turn in containers - standard 9x9's, larger or TBD?

I'm not trying to bust your hump, but people are going to ask.

fillyfish44
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know the correct turn in schedule for Sunday?

Slamdunkpro
09-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know the correct turn in schedule for Sunday?
From the website (http://raystown.org/barbeque/barbeque-at-the-beach-raystown-lake-pa-information.html) it looks like standard KCBS times

CHICKEN NOON
PORK RIBS 12:30 pm
PORK 1:00 pm
BEEF BRISKET 1:30 pm

fillyfish44
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks! I had no idea that link existed. Much Obliged!!

tmcmaster
09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Yippeee!~! This will be my first event as a judge!

Smokin Turkey
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Slamdunk pro-

Sorry I have not had any answers for you. I was admitted to the hospital the other day and have been recovering and doing followup Dr appointments.

I am talking with Ed about the grilling rules and working on developing answers to your questions. I will get these answers addressed ASAP.

Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Just wanted to post this message I received about one of our competitor's feelings about the competitors package from our meat sponsor...

"I called the meat place about the competitors package and all I can say is WOW. That is a super deal. All meat is fresh, has not been previously frozen which is a big deal to me. The briskets are select to choice and weigh in at 18-20 lbs. That is FANTASTIC!! Some folks prefer wagyu, give me a good XL (ecel) brisket any day over the wagyu. Butts and ribs are IBP or XL too. All good quality meat."

Just wanted to pass this along as it is very descriptive of what they were looking for and you possibly will be also. I won't post who this was and they can weigh in if they want but I thought this would help in the decision to purchase locally.

Thanks.

Slamdunkpro
09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Slamdunk pro-

Sorry I have not had any answers for you. I was admitted to the hospital the other day and have been recovering and doing followup Dr appointments.

I am talking with Ed about the grilling rules and working on developing answers to your questions. I will get these answers addressed ASAP.

Thanks!

Hope you're feeling better!

Smokin Turkey
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I am working on the feeling better part. Anyway we are at the 19 team mark with 2 more potentially from the vendors and sponsors and we are cutting it off at 25 so if you are on the fence-maybe decide which side you want to fall off on before someone else decides for you by taking your spot. Lol!

Smokin Turkey
09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, Im better (enough) and working again. I am building the awards and will be posting pics very soon this weekend. How is everyone else? I'm excited and feeling the pressure!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Im doing a back to back..Shrewsberry and Raystown, a first for me and Im freaking out...other then that Im cool...

ClayHill
09-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Im doing a back to back..Shrewsberry and Raystown, a first for me and Im freaking out...other then that Im cool...

Hats off to you man:clap2:I just cant do that yet, maybe next year

I have to cook 120lbs of pork Thursday night/friday morning on the 17th for a customer appreciation dinner.......then I have get to Raystown. Nothing like starting out in the hole on sleep before reaching a comp.....good thing the KCBS is on Sunday.

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2010, 05:57 AM
...good thing the KCBS is on Sunday.

Amen! Thanks for saying that!

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
This just in from my partner in organizing...

"I wanted to let you know we will not be doing a judges class this year at Barbeque at the Beach.
The trainer fees are too high for me to include in the budget this year plus we would need 24 students. We just cannot do it this year as part of our first year event.

I will be looking at the judges class for 2011 and I have let my KCBS rep know we want to do that next year at Barbeque at the Beach."

Sorry for anyone planning to participate. I was planning on taking the class myself.

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
DIVA Q IS COMING!

2 important things I need feedback on so please respond. . .

#1 - I need totals for who is coming on the cruise ship Friday night. How many people for each team?

#2 - Who would like to give a basic 20-40 min class on something BBQ related to the general public? Topics could be how to build a UDS, how to make a recipe (if you could please make it friendly to the bbq beginner and offer options to make it in oven or gas grill) I know Im a purist too and it hurts but we want to bring interest. Maybe how to pick your bbq pit. ask the questions like are you cooking for a church or just yourself, kinda questions..

Im leaving it open for you to decide but Figure these to be a limited number of classes, all free to the attending public, and a chance to sell your rubs, tee shirts, and just to share your excitement for BBQ!

Smokin Turkey
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Poooh Bah is coming also! I dont know why I am the only one telling everyone this. They could be saying it also... :tsk:

So about those 2 last questions... PLEASE i need an answer asap from as many as I can get.

Thanks!

:thumb:

ClayHill
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
So about those 2 last questions... PLEASE i need an answer asap from as many as I can get.

Thanks!

What other means of communication are you using to contact teams? I'll check on the sauce works...

Smokin Turkey
09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I think we will be calling teams this week for the info. Most of the teams are brethren teams or at least talk on here which is why I put it out on here.

ClayHill
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I think we will be calling teams this week for the info. Most of the teams are brethren teams or at least talk on here which is why I put it out on here.

I thought most teams were on here, wasn't sure.

I'll talk to my father in law tonight about friday

looking forward to bbq in huntington Co. again:clap2:

Smokin Turkey
09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
These rules are also being forwarded to all the competitors. Hope this helps!

BBQ AT THE BEACH
GRILLING COMPETITION OVERVIEW

BURGER

...* 9 x 9 container shall be provided
* One pound of 80/20 ground beef shall be provided to each team
* Meat can not be pre-brined or pre-seasoned
* Meat must be stored at a safe temperature (below 40 degrees)
* Burger MUST be cooked on-site and on a "grill" via gas, wood or wood
product, charcoal or electricity
* Open garnish - it does not need to be edible, but there can be no
markings and no money
* Presentation must be in at least 6 equal portions (6 burgers, 6
slices, 6 pieces, etc.)

PIZZA

* Pizza box shall be provided
* Dough can be pre-made, frozen or freshly made
* Toppings can be raw, pre-seasoned or pre-cooked
* Pizza shall not be pre-assembled, pre-cooked or delivered!
* Pizza MUST be cooked on-site and on a "grill" via gas, wood or wood
product, charcoal or electricity
markings and no money
* Presentation must be in at least 6 equal portions (6 slices, 6
pieces, etc.)

CHEF'S CHOICE

* 9 x 9 container shall be provided
* Submission can be anything, anything, anything . . . as long as it
is edible!
* Submission MUST be cooked on-site and on a "grill" via gas, wood or
wood product, charcoal or electricity
markings and no money
* Presentation must be in at least 6 equal portions (6 slices, 6
pieces, etc.

Additionally, the cook's meeting shall be the final determination of rules at the discretion of the organizer. The cook's meeting shall supersede any rules and discussions - verbal, electronic or written! Cook's meeting will be at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 17, 2010 for open grilling. Burger meat shall be provided at this time. Attendance is not mandatory, but is a great idea!

BBQchef33
09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Im coming in Friday early afternoon with Uncle Eggy.

Is the potluck on? I will make a tray of something and bring.(anyone gonna have hot cooker space to heat a full tray of something or other?)

Slamdunkpro
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Friday Potluck - Who's in? Who's coming in on Friday?
We'll be there around 1 on Friday.

Diva Q
09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
we are coming in sometime late friday afternoon. We would be in for a potluck!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-13-2010, 07:51 AM
can we get a head count for the pot luck? Im in if we can get enough to do it...Ill bring a meat product of some kind..

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Is the comp full? I think I'm game if it is open.....

BBQchef33
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I believe there were 4 spots left as of last Friday.

????

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Kcbs is sat/sun correct?

Slamdunkpro
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Kcbs is sat/sun correct?
Correct - Sunday turn in's - normal times.
I just spoke with Ed and he has 1 maybe 2 spots left.

Slamdunkpro
09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
can we get a head count for the pot luck? Im in if we can get enough to do it...Ill bring a meat product of some kind..

If I see you on the side of the road with a flat scraper I'm turning around and going home:heh:

BBQchef33
09-13-2010, 12:10 PM

may I make a suggestion (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92251)?

:becky:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
may I make a suggestion (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92251)?

there is just so much wrong with that....:sick:

Phil are you cooking or just hanging out?

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
OK, there is one less spot now. See you there on Saturday :-P

ClayHill
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
the sauce works will be there early sat. morning....

Sal.......you still good on wood?

Big Ugly's BBQ
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Sal and ......"wood"?:heh::heh::heh::heh::heh::heh::heh: Way too easy.

See ya Saturday evening, got to work Sat, driving up late.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
the sauce works will be there early sat. Morning....

p.m. Sent!!!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM

see you then, bringing the family?

ClayHill, dont make it to easy on them...they already have enough ammo!

ClayHill
09-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Well I guess I cant make public statements/questions about wood concerning Sal.

and I sure as heck ain't gonna make it a private matter either:shock::-D

PM sent:roll:

Smokin Turkey
09-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Not going to touch the "Sal" and "Wood" part but one of our sponsors Metzler Forest Products is donating a load of wood and it will be segregated by species. Your guess is as good as mine as to what they will bring but expect Cherry, Hickory, Oak, and who knows what else.

As for the local Butcher, I just got a message that he only has 2 people ordering. Any other teams planning to order better get it now so he can have it in. See the rest of this thread for everything included but I think I'm going to get a pack just for me and my use! (non comp not that I scare any of you. PS I WON already.) They do sell some top quality meats.

I have most of the awards completed and I have a quick poll to ask. If you could have them painted black, or raw steel (rubbed lightly with veg oil) which would you prefer? I can't release the pics yet but they do look cool!

The mini is getting started tomorrow. Nothing like cutting it close right?

BBQchef33
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
there is just so much wrong with that....:sick:

Phil are you cooking or just hanging out?

just hanging.

Slamdunkpro
09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I have most of the awards completed and I have a quick poll to ask. If you could have them painted black, or raw steel (rubbed lightly with veg oil) which would you prefer? I can't release the pics yet but they do look cool!

(Speaking for those that actually have a shot at awards:-P) - Paint them

Smokin Turkey
09-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Just spoke with Ed - We have the team potluck covered with plates and forks!

Big Ugly's BBQ
09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
see you then, bringing the family?

Teri & Kaiti are working, if anyone goes it would be the boys.

Smokin Turkey
09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Here is another reminder about the best decorated site award!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs702.snc4/62187_128136843902199_106207189428498_151542_60024 82_n.jpg

I've decided to make it a people's choice award which will be voted on Sunday. This award is sponsored by Huntingdon County Customs!

Big Ugly's BBQ
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
As for the local Butcher, I just got a message that he only has 2 people ordering.

What page of this thread is the contact info for the butcher on?

Never mind, found it, thanks!

begolf25
09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Can't wait for this weekend. We had a situation that almost caused us to miss out but got everything taken care of. This is only going to be our 2nd full competition and with this all-star cast of teams competing we just hope we don't finish DAL! Hopefully you all take it easy on us...lol

Does anyone know if they will still have garnish available for purchase?

Thanks,

Bryan

Smokin Turkey
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Congrats on your second full competition! As for the garnish, I really don't know. I will ask ed in the morning and see what is going on with that. I know at one point he said KCBS garnish would be available on site for purchase.

I am making arrangements to pickup the wood tomorrow. Sounds like we've been reduced to hickory only but I'll fight for cherry and more if they have it. It's going to be something nearing a 1/2 cord. I'll be loading my new silverado 2500 so whatever fits. Wish I had picket sides!

fillyfish44
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Little Dickee Q should have 4-8 on cruise.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
does any one know how far awards are going out? top 5 catagories, rgc , gc

Slamdunkpro
09-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, work has gone to hell, I'm out for the Friday pot luck, I just hope to be there before dark:pray:

WannaBeBBQueen
09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Anyone have two extra easy ups we could borrow?

Westexbbq
09-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Anyone have two extra easy ups we could borrow?

I have one, it's kinda got a big ol' Lone Star on it though.:laugh:
Yours if you need it.

Good luck and happy trails to all who are competing this weekend.

watg?
09-18-2010, 04:41 PM
What time are awards?

watg?
09-18-2010, 06:06 PM
What time are awards?

I forgot, the KCBS comp is Sat-Sun. :bow:

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Today around 4. Getting ready for turn ins now. Phil is table capt......

Solidkick
09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Good luck to all!