PDA

View Full Version : Support a family with BBQ?

Jamo
01-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Hey Folks,

I was just wondering if it was at all possible to support a family with a BBQ venture. I've been searching for an idea for a while that would allow me to spend more time at home with my family, and I really love BBQ.

I know that several of the Brethren on here have BBQ based businesses, but I also get the impression that it is a labor of love and not their primary source of income.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Jamo

TN_BBQ
01-20-2010, 06:48 AM
It is possible to make a living at BBQ. Just remember, once you go that route, your hobby becomes your job and thus some of the things you love about BBQ (escaping the rigors of work in a relaxing atmosphere) will be lost.

Oh, and you'll need to find a new hobby.

Is it possible for you to start slowly and build your BBQ business? Small/Mid size catering jobs, cook to order BBQ, weekends, vending, etc.

Although, there is some truth in the following:

"Find a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

Ford
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Sure it's possible. But more time with family may be a pipe dream. Decide to do a fair and it's 10 days of 10-11 vending with cooking all night. You basically live onsite and probably work 18 hours plus pay a helper or 2. Now upside is 3-4k a day or more in sales if the weather is good and crowds are good. Roadside vending can gross $500 or so a day but that's a lot ofwork. You need to add in the parties where you drop off food and that's the high end profit margin as you can do all that yourself. Weddings, buffets require helpers and again that's 1099 after $599 per year per person.

And be prepared to spend some money up front if it's your whole income. You need the right facility or trailer and need a lot of equipment, permits, staples up front. It's cheaper to buy a years worth of something than buy monthly.

bbqpitstop
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Jamo, I have just the ticket for ya...Come out to my place in Angola and we'll talk que and I'll tell ya the "struggle story"....like any other startup business, you need some "cushion capital" the will to stick with it while it grows, and the passion to do it day in and day out. I always tell people...like to throw parties ? Yeah great....want to throw one everyday ?

Anyway, we have another rig setup and plenty of concession gigs that come our way but never enough people that we trust to pull it off "Desperados style"....if you're serious, we are always open to a percentage basis for running our rig at shows we've established and shows that you could get on your own. We've already got the overhead covered, the extra smoker setup and the reputation. Think about it and either way cmon out and have an ellicottville brewing company beer and talk que !

chopshop
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
vending is no different than a restaurant. my suggestion to all chefs is to find a really good looking sous chef....your gonna be spending most your time with her....she might as well be a looker

Jamo
01-21-2010, 05:14 AM
BBQPitstop, that is a fantastic offer... Even if it is just to talk some que. I'll send you a PM later (when my 2 year old isn't "helping" me type)

TN_BBQ
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
vending is no different than a restaurant. my suggestion to all chefs is to find a really good looking sous chef....your gonna be spending most your time with her....she might as well be a looker

I agree.
Sorta reminds of a TVshow/movie where a couple was shopping for a nanny. The wife made a comment that the "ugliest" one gets the job.

chopshop
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree.
Sorta reminds of a TVshow/movie where a couple was shopping for a nanny. The wife made a comment that the "ugliest" one gets the job.

leave it to the wife to not let her husband have any fun. everyone knows that a really good looking nanny will do a better job. ITS JUST COMMON SENSE!!!! HAHA