PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt Ruling

Podge
01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, I'm sure plenty of you remember over last year, the "clarification" on cooking pork butt, separated or whole, etc.. etc... From what I understood, thru the forums and a private e-mail from a BoD member, is that the BoD was to discuss this during the banquet.

So, what this in fact discussed, and what was the conclusion ?

musicmanryann
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I heard it was discussed and there was no change to the ruling. Skip should be able to be very detailed in his answer as he was there and participated in the discussion. :-)

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Didn't make it the rules meeting but did the board. Since the rules meeting was the day before the board meeting, Linda reported she would distribute the notes from the rules meeting to the rest of the board and discuss at the February meeting. I'm sure there was more than the pork issue discussed.

Ford
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
From what I've been reading rules will be the same for 2010 and any approved changes will go in for 2011. But I could be wrong. They will be discussing some rule recommendations at the Feb meeting.

LindaM
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
From what I've been reading rules will be the same for 2010 and any approved changes will go in for 2011. But I could be wrong. They will be discussing some rule recommendations at the Feb meeting.

The discussion did come up at the rules meeting for a long time. We may change the wording of the rule for clarification. It will be voted in Feb at the BOD meeting. The discussion was to change the rules effective Jan 1, again we will vote on this at the Feb meeting holding the rules until Jan 1, 2011. Hope this helps.

ique
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
The discussion did come up at the rules meeting for a long time. We may change the wording of the rule for clarification. It will be voted in Feb at the BOD meeting. The discussion was to change the rules effective Jan 1, again we will vote on this at the Feb meeting holding the rules until Jan 1, 2011. Hope this helps.

Linda, can you answer me this? Why is it OK to part and return a brisket to the cooker, but not Pork Butt?

Dale P
01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Ditto what Ique said.

Lakeside Smoker
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
We may change the wording of the rule for clarification.

It doesn't need clarification, it needs to be changed.
We can reheat chicken, ribs, and brisket, but not pork.
I know that someone 20 years ago cooked pork tenderloin, so now we cant reheat pork. That makes no sense to me.

-Mike

Diva
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Chris, I asked the same thing. I also asked why....apparently there are certain teams taking out the money muscle when it reaches a certain temp and throw the rest back on the cooker. I stated that if they knew who the teams were to put the hammer down on them and don't allow one apple to spoil the bushel. I ended it with 'What the hell?'

eagle697
01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
It seems to me, that if a team wanted the money muscle at a certain temp and the rest cooked longer could just cook multiple buts and take the rest of the money muscle buts home and finish cooking later. The only thing is it increases the number of buts you need to cook. From my perspective, it just ads too much money to an already expensive hobby. If i was a true professional instead of a backyard guy that cooks comps, i might see the the expense as being justified. As it is, i see the rule as benefiting teams that have the extra money to cook extra buts. I really don't understand this rule, but hey, I only compete a few times a year. In my backyard i part and cook more all the time.

scottyd
01-20-2010, 07:53 AM
It really is a getting to be a keep your neighbor honest and but don't watch me kind of thing. well I think we just all need to clean up our own back yards. If we need to cook 4 butts to get what ya need so be it. I still have not seen the Vikings use 2 footballs to win a game yet.

Podge
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I can slice a butt at 200*. just takes a surgically sharp knife and patience.

Jeff_in_KC
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Who the hell wants to take a partially cooked pork butt home to cook later when you've been working your arse off for two days? It's just ridiculous that A.) you can't pull a small piece off the butt and put in a hot cooler and finish the rest of the butt and B.) we can't just make a decision that we can all live with and quit talking about parting pork once and for all. Sorry if that seems a little snippy... my hip/back pain came back last night and life in general is grinding on my nerves this morning.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-20-2010, 08:45 AM
A.) you can't pull a small piece off the butt and put in a hot cooler and finish the rest of the butt and B.) we can't just make a decision that we can all live with and quit talking about parting pork once and for all.

Can I hear an AMEN!!!

AMEN!!

drbbq
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Linda, can you answer me this? Why is it OK to part and return a brisket to the cooker, but not Pork Butt?

The pork rule was intended to make new guys like me learn how to cook a pork butt whole in the BBQ style.

I'd say that when they made the no parting pork rule, they never even remotely farking imagined that someday guys would slice their brisket and put it back in the cooker. But then they probably didn't think that someday we'd all be cooking thighs only, poached in a pan of butter. The teams used to cook BBQ back then so it was a lot different.

smoke it if ya got it
01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Whats to keep teams from parting out the money muscle to be cooked by itself while cooking an entire butt to be pulled and the money muscle sliced ?

Capn Kev
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Whats to keep teams from parting out the money muscle to be cooked by itself while cooking an entire butt to be pulled and the money muscle sliced ?

Honor. :redface:

smoke it if ya got it
01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Honor. :redface:
Ahh the honor among thieves or Qers. Now we'll all be watching our neighbors and not just to shigger them. Or would that be shigg?

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Well to comply with the rules, you'd need at least a 5 lb money muscle.

ique
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
The pork rule was intended to make new guys like me learn how to cook a pork butt whole in the BBQ style.

I'd say that when they made the no parting pork rule, they never even remotely farking imagined that someday guys would slice their brisket and put it back in the cooker. But then they probably didn't think that someday we'd all be cooking thighs only, poached in a pan of butter. The teams used to cook BBQ back then so it was a lot different.

LOL, I can assure you I am cooking BBQ. I just want to put a pan of processed Pork back in my pit until I am ready to put it in a turn in box.

If I can do that with Brisket, should be able to with Pork. This rule doesnt need to be clarified, it needs to be changed.

early mornin' smokin'
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
ugghhhhhh....this pork thing can go back and forth all year long, if the rule isnt changed(which it should be) than we all must deal with it. And if comps turn into our neighbors keeping a keen eye on us to make sure we are all obeying by the rules, so be it, We'll just keep a closer eye on everyone else, shigging or not.

drbbq
01-20-2010, 10:00 AM
LOL, I can assure you I am cooking BBQ. I just want to put a pan of processed Pork back in my pit until I am ready to put it in a turn in box.

If I can do that with Brisket, should be able to with Pork. This rule doesnt need to be clarified, it needs to be changed.

Maybe we should add a rule that says brisket must be cooked in it's entirety as well.

I understand the pan of pulled pork and have done it myself without thinking, but this money muscle nonsense is ridiculous.

BBQchef33
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
<Time out>

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1838

<Time In>

:mrgreen:

Diva
01-20-2010, 10:08 AM
The money muscle thing is SO played out. I just want to keep the completely cooked yet, processed ready for the box, pork hot and set some sauce....that's all.

Stoke&Smoke
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I get the "parting rule" But can someone show me where exactly in the rules it says pork cannot be returned to the pit?

The only thing I'm seeing is
10) The Four KCBS Meat Categories:
CHICKEN: Chicken includes Cornish Game Hen and
Kosher Chicken.
PORK RIBS: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style
ribs are prohibited.
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted.
BEEF BRISKET: May be whole brisket, flat, or point.
Corned beef is not allowed.

And this

g) After cooking, all meat:
i) Must be held at 140 F or above OR
ii) Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
(1) Within 2 hours from 140 F to 70 F and
(2) Within 4 hours from 70 F to 41 F or less
(3) Meat that is cooked, properly cooled,
and later reheated for hot holding and serving
shall be reheated so that all parts of the food
reach a temperature of at least 165 F for a
minimum of 15 seconds.

I have thought about putting a butt that had been resting in a cooler back on, out of the foil to crisp up the bark a bit. Never have, mostly due to time constraints. But where in the KCBS rules does it say I can't do that, as long as it's the WHOLE butt?

ique
01-20-2010, 10:10 AM
The money muscle thing is SO played out. I just want to keep the completely cooked yet, processed ready for the box, pork hot and set some sauce....that's all.

Exactly

bigabyte
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Just curious, are there any problems voiced with keeping meat warm in other ways, say a cambro for instance? Just curious is all, I usually make a point to stay out of these conversations, but this one piqued my interest.

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
OK, not trying to stir the pot - but I really have a serious question on why some people are really determined to get this rule change. At first I thought it was because some thought they were at a disadvantage, but that can't be the case because we're all playing by the same rules (or if we aren't it's because someone is cheating)

So do people want the rule changed to:
a) so they can put the money muscle back in to set the sauce?
b) put the rest of the butt back in to cook it to pull temp?
c) combo of both
d) other

Personally, I don't care either way. Pork has been a strong category for us as the rules currently are - I can't see us making a process change even if we are able to return the pork to the cooker. Sure it would be nice to be able to finish the remaining part of the butt to get it to 200 but whatever, that's pretty low on the totem poll on my list of concerns. As for as setting the sauce, I guess if the rule is changed we'll have to revisit that to see what's scoring high if a rule change is made.

Alexa RnQ
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Now, I have to ask about sauce "setting". I've never seen pork that looked "set", as in tacked-up by heat. To me, it looks as if lightly sauced pork is glistening and fresh.

So that process would seem to result in either tacky pork, or stewed pork -- which is it?

bigabyte
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I should have added to my earlier question...is keeping food warm in the warming cabinet on a Lang more similar to using a cambro, or returning food to the pit? Are there any problems with that?

ique
01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
OK, not trying to stir the pot - but I really have a serious question on why some people are really determined to get this rule change. .

Honestly for me the rule is just inconsistent. I can live with it either way. The rules committee should strive towards consistent rules that have a reason behind them. When Linda chimed in here I was hoping she could provide some insight.

Either remove this phrase "and shall not be parted." from the Pork rule or ADD it to the Brisket rule.

If there is some reason this should only apply to Pork I'd like to know the answer to that.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I should have added to my earlier question...is keeping food warm in the warming cabinet on a Lang more similar to using a cambro, or returning food to the pit? Are there any problems with that?

using the warming cabinet is not allowed, it still has a heat source ( big discussion at the Harrisburg PA comp) a cambro does not have a heat source.

ique
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
using the warming cabinet is not allowed, it still has a heat source ( big discussion at the Harrisburg PA comp) a cambro does not have a heat source.

Using the warming cabinet on a Lang IS allowed for Chicken, Ribs and Brisket. But would not be allowed for processed Pork.

Scottie
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Honestly for me the rule is just inconsistent. I can live with it either way. The rules committee should strive towards consistent rules that have a reason behind them. When Linda chimed in here I was hoping she could provide some insight.

Either remove this phrase "and shall not be parted." from the Pork rule or ADD it to the Brisket rule.

If there is some reason this should only apply to Pork I'd like to know the answer to that.

But the rule isn't inconsistent Chris. You can't part pork. End of story. They (the BOD at the time) felt you could part brisket, and that is why there is no rule for it. Remember, this rule was put into place not to screw people out of being able to reheat their pulled pork. It was to discontinue the use of cutting the nose of a butt off and finish cooking the rest of it for pulled pork. I for one would rather this BOD grow some and say you can't part any brisket or pork butt. That would take care of the whole mess that cooks are making this rule turn out to be.

But to me, I do not see an issue. You can't co it, complaining about it does no good either. so if I was you, I would start a drive to stop the parting of brisket. You might have a better chance at getting that one passed than the pork issue.

The Virginian
01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Would it be OK under current rules to keep a Dutch oven warming in the smoker, then take it out about 20 minutes before turn-in and put a bowl of sauced pork in their to heat up a bit (putting the lid on to retain heat and NOT returning it to the smoker)? The residual heat from the dutch oven should be enough to warm the pulled pork, but is itself not a smoker and has no external heat source. I am splitting hairs, but its an interesting exercise.

Brett

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Using the warming cabinet on a Lang IS allowed for Chicken, Ribs and Brisket. But would not be allowed for processed Pork.

you are absolutly correct, I didnt mention the other 3 catagories because of the tread being about pork.

Podge
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Heck, I just posted this question to see if in fact anything had been done about the pork ruling like the BoD said they would look at it again. I didn't mean for all of us to kick a dead horse again.

I'll just go on and continue to cook my Boston butts whole, my thighs whole, st. louis cut spare ribs whole and my briskets whole. :grin:

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Sure you could use the Lang to hold if you have not parted the pork ... right?

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
But the rule isn't inconsistent Chris. You can't part pork. End of story. They (the BOD at the time) felt you could part brisket, and that is why there is no rule for it. Remember, this rule was put into place not to screw people out of being able to reheat their pulled pork. It was to discontinue the use of cutting the nose of a butt off and finish cooking the rest of it for pulled pork. I for one would rather this BOD grow some and say you can't part any brisket or pork butt. That would take care of the whole mess that cooks are making this rule turn out to be.

But to me, I do not see an issue. You can't co it, complaining about it does no good either. so if I was you, I would start a drive to stop the parting of brisket. You might have a better chance at getting that one passed than the pork issue.

Would that mean flats would be illegal? What does this do to burnt ends?

Juggy D Beerman
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Prior to 1993, the KCBS allowed ANY part of the pig to be submitted. You were allowed to turn in cuts of loin, tenderloin, ham and shoulder. Country style ribs from both the shoulder and loin were allowed as well as pork steaks from the shoulder or ham steaks. One of the reasons for the rule change to limit pork entries to the shoulder area was because it was sensed that judges were not judging the same cut of meat each time they judged pork. With each team submitting shoulder meat only, it put each team on the same page.

The reason for the stipulation of no parting evolved during the first year of the rule change. Some teams were cutting the pork butt into steaks and country style ribs after the 5+ pound shoulder had passed the meat inspection.

Lager,

Juggy

ique
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM

I see, I am complaining. I thought as a paid KCBS member I could ask a board member a question.

The rule is inconsistent. You can part and return all meats except Pork. Thats inconsistent. If there is a reason to single out Pork, I ask those on the rules committee to let the reason be known.

Scottie
01-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I see, I am complaining. I thought as a paid KCBS member I could ask a board member a question.

The rule is inconsistent. You can part and return all meats except Pork. Thats inconsistent. If there is a reason to single out Pork, I ask those on the rules committee to let the reason be known.

Chris, I apologize, as that "complaining" part was not directed at you individually. But as a group in whole. The only way to get something done is to address the BOD. They have said they don't want anything to do with it.

Trust me, I understand the frustration, as there are inconsistent rules. I've always complained about the "gray area" in rules. I don't want one rep ruling one way and another rep ruling a completely different way. But I also realize that to have a rule book as complex as we really want it for the cooks side, would be unrealistic. So I play within the rules that they give us. If they ever change the rules, then I guess I would have to re-think my cooking...

As for getting a response out of a BOD member on a Forum. I 'm not sure how much of that will be going on. They all read it, I am not sure if they can respond though.... :evil: Ah, the life of a KCBS BOD Member... No thanks... Not for me...

ique
01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
No harm, no foul. Linda chimed in so I was hoping to get more comments from her. I play by the rules too. Honestly its not a big deal for me, I've learned to work around it. I would just like to see the rules committee comment on why they think this rule (and its interpretation) is important to preserve.

Chris, I apologize, as that "complaining" part was not directed at you individually. But as a group in whole. The only way to get something done is to address the BOD. They have said they don't want anything to do with it.

Trust me, I understand the frustration, as there are inconsistent rules. I've always complained about the "gray area" in rules. I don't want one rep ruling one way and another rep ruling a completely different way. But I also realize that to have a rule book as complex as we really want it for the cooks side, would be unrealistic. So I play within the rules that they give us. If they ever change the rules, then I guess I would have to re-think my cooking...

As for getting a response out of a BOD member on a Forum. I 'm not sure how much of that will be going on. They all read it, I am not sure if they can respond though.... :evil: Ah, the life of a KCBS BOD Member... No thanks... Not for me...

Scottie
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Can't argue with you at all Chris. I agree.

SmokeInDaEye
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Would that mean flats would be illegal? What does this do to burnt ends? Yes, and seperating thighs from the chicken is illegal.

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Actually no - the thigh would be fine as the brisket is just one cut of the bovine and the butt and ribs are both just one cut of the swine.

But to be consistent with Juggy's post above regarding pork and butts, maybe chicken should be limited to thighs. :icon_shy (ill go duck now)

KC_Bobby
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes, and seperating thighs from the chicken is illegal.

Actually no - the thigh would be fine as the brisket is just one cut of the bovine and the butt and ribs are both just one cut of the swine.

But to be consistent with Juggy's post above regarding pork and butts, maybe chicken should be limited to thighs. :icon_shy (ill go duck now)

SmokeInDaEye
01-20-2010, 03:58 PM

You can say that again!

Thanks! I hope they do tweak the parting rule if for no other reason than to finally end these tireless discussions. And a flat is a brisket with or without the point IMO.

Jorge
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Where is my Percocet when I need it?!

SirPorkaLot
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM

AMEN!

Parting (processing) pork and putting it back in the cooker only means you didn't cook it right to start with, or you missed your mark on your timing.

I only compete part time, but i know how to cook pork shoulder, and the few times I have put pork back in the cooker was either a timing issue (keep a tray of processed pork warm that was done too early) or a cooking issue. If I nail the timing, and the cooking my shoulder is perfect just the way it is when it comes off the cooker.

Oh..and the money muscle? what a bunch of crap that is.

I would defy anyone to tell one piece of shoulder from another by taste alone - again assuming it is cooked properly.

While we are stirring up controversial issues......I want to taste meat not sauce :mrgreen:

drbbq
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I really hope the board doesn't buckle under to this. IMO it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
I'd like to warm a pan of pulled pork (not processed, whatever that means) too but not at the loss of the rule that requires you to cook a pork butt in the BBQ way.

If we must change the brisket rule to comply and end this nonsense then so be it.

Jorge
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I really hope the board doesn't buckle under to this. IMO it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
I'd like to warm a pan of pulled pork (not processed, whatever that means) too but not at the loss of the rule that requires you to cook a pork butt in the BBQ way.

If we must change the brisket rule to comply and end this nonsense then so be it.

Somehow I suspect that would just open another can of worms.

LindaM
01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Chime in I will. This was discussed at length at the Rules meeting in Philly, too bad you all weren't there. But several recommendations came from it, they will be compiled and brought to the BOD in Feb. That is the way we handle rule changes. After the BOD approves or disapproves any changes it will be posted.......

billygbob
01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
The rules should read that nothing comes off a cooker and goes back on. There should be be NO foil, pans, or anything other than meat in a cooker or over wood/coals. Spray, baste, turn, move around, then remove, cut/pull/slice, and serve. Its all about the MEAT.

billygbob
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Nothing that requires electricity - pellet poopers or gurus or stokers. Stay sober and awake. Its BBQ, not a fru fru cooking contest. Leave that to Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef....

SirPorkaLot
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
The rules should read that nothing comes off a cooker and goes back on. There should be be NO foil, pans, or anything other than meat in a cooker or over wood/coals. Spray, baste, turn, move around, then remove, cut/pull/slice, and serve. Its all about the MEAT.

Nothing that requires electricity - pellet poopers or gurus or stokers. Stay sober and awake. Its BBQ, not a fru fru cooking contest. Leave that to Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef....

I'd sign up for that comp in a split second!
It is absolutely all about the meat, and BBQ is an art, not something that should be allowed to be achieved by more & more advanced technology, or by manipulation of the rules.

just saying

ique
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Chime in I will. This was discussed at length at the Rules meeting in Philly, too bad you all weren't there. But several recommendations came from it, they will be compiled and brought to the BOD in Feb. That is the way we handle rule changes. After the BOD approves or disapproves any changes it will be posted.......

OK, I didnt realize you needed to be at the meeting to get info on these matters. I'll make more of an effort to attend next time. It would be great if when the rule change was posted the rules committee provided some information as to what the goal of the rule change was.

Contracted Cookers
01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
we all get our meat inspected . I don`t seperate the muscle if somebody is kicking my arse in pork .I can try what they are doing. Or try to get my pork to taste better. Taste scores should start at 6 I AINT SCARED

billygbob
01-20-2010, 07:59 PM
We're not worthy....

Candy Sue
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
OK, I didnt realize you needed to be at the meeting to get info on these matters. I'll make more of an effort to attend next time. It would be great if when the rule change was posted the rules committee provided some information as to what the goal of the rule change was.

Sure wish you had made it down, Chris! I believe there'll be plenty of time to discuss new rules for 2011, rather than implementing changes suggested at the rules meeting. This was my first ever rules meeting and I'd say most of the changes are clarifications. I was surprised that more cooks didn't attend the meeting. Something about cheese steaks, I believe.

goodsmokebbq
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Would it be OK under current rules to keep a Dutch oven warming in the smoker, then take it out about 20 minutes before turn-in and put a bowl of sauced pork in their to heat up a bit (putting the lid on to retain heat and NOT returning it to the smoker)? The residual heat from the dutch oven should be enough to warm the pulled pork, but is itself not a smoker and has no external heat source. I am splitting hairs, but its an interesting exercise.

Brett

Perfectly legal...

Contracted Cookers
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
your not worthy of what bilybob

BlueHwyBBQ
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
The rules should read that nothing comes off a cooker and goes back on.

But... but... but... I have to take the meat off my cooker to add more charcoal...

All (most) rules have the right intent - it's the details that hang us up.

drbbq
01-21-2010, 05:25 AM
All (most) rules have the right intent - it's the details that hang us up.

Also known as loopholes. Eventually the rule book will be a big legal document.

U2CANQUE
01-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Something about cheese steaks, I believe.
or twelve.....it would have been a great experience.....but, luckily I have put my trust in those elected to do the best thing for KCBS...not just for me....

WannaBeBBQueen
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM
We're not worthy....
Every KCBS member is welcome at the meeting ...if you decided not to go that would be your choice. It has nothing to do with being worthy!

ique
01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Also known as loopholes. Eventually the rule book will be a big legal document.

fwiw, the complainers here (wink Scottie) think there should be fewer rules here not more. Maybe we should just use your wording... all meats shall be cooked "in the BBQ way"

Redheart
01-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Were to start .... were to start?
BBQ is regional. I had never had sliced pork or burnt ends till I spent about 6 months in KC last year. I fell in love with the sliced pork sandwiches at Danny Edwards' Eat It and Beat It. The southern and Texas traditions really don't have the sweet sauce tradition either. This is the Kansas City BBQ Society, burnt ends although not required are part of the tradition, so I part the point and make burnt ends. I cook multiple butts and slice some money muscle and leave a couple of butts on to pull.
KC style is not mine, but I am competing in the KCBS circuit so adjust my cooking style and live by the rules. The non-parting rule although cumbersome is not unreasonable as it puts everyone on the same page. I think the rule could use a rewrite only to remove any ambiguity that exists due to the syntax and to institute a clear context.
As a KCBS member I want the Board to listen to everyone's concerns but don't ask the Board to change rules or styles to suit your individual tastes or traditions.

just my 2 cents

Redheart
01-27-2010, 05:55 AM
fwiw, the complainers here (wink Scottie) think there should be fewer rules here not more. Maybe we should just use your wording... all meats shall be cooked "in the BBQ way"

Then we would have threads asking us for the Board to clarify and define BBQ. In other words .... 2nd Verse same as the 1st.