PDA

View Full Version : Greensboro, NC

QN
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Headed to Greensboro for work this week. Flying in and out of Raleigh. Any good barbecue in the area that should not be missed?
Thanks.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome to NC.... I am abt 45 minutes from RDU... when you get to HWY 86 on I-40, if you take that exit and go north abt 2 miles or so, Allen & Sons will be on the left. They are pretty good. Kind of an older place, but a homey kind of establishment. There are others, but slip my mind at this time.

Also Lexington has a ton of them.... especially in the downtown area.... worth just the drive around just to see them all. We went to Lexington once to try out the original Lexington BBQ. Since I am allergic to pork, my wife tried it. She wasn't impressed with it, but since doing the competition style, the commercial stuff isn't any good to her any more.... go figure.

Let us know what you find and try out.

Bill

bbqpitstop
01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
My smoker company is located in Greensboro and I'm looking for any joint that has a southern pride down that way so we can check out a retrofit on an accessory they invented. Let me know if you find one will you ? Not sure there's ANYTHING in Greensoboro area, but if you want some of the oldest bbq joints around head to Lexington were they're everywhere.....Stameys is well known and I remember some nice joints in thomasville too....I'd have to do some surfing to remember any others.......carolina bbq is not my favorite, I'm a Kansas City girl when it comes to sauce and styles.....I'll get surfing and you keep me posted what you find too will ya ?

biffleg
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Here in Greensboro ... the big draw is Stameys. They have two locations - I'd suggest the one across from the Coliseum - it's the original location. There is also Country BBQ on Wendover Ave. - it's marginal in a fix - but you know the saying about "not seeing smoke coming from behind the building". Approx. 45 mins down the road is Lexington ... if you make the run over there - I'd suggest Lexington #1. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions while you're in town. Or, we might could talk a couple of other Brethren in the area into meeting up for dinner one night (would have to be Thursday or Friday for me though). Take it easy!

QN
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Ate supper at Stameys coliseum location tonight. Only in Greensboro tonight. Pork was tender and had good flavor, but I just did not like the fine chopped texture. Almost like it had already been chewed...
Slaw was good and complemented the flavor of the pork. The vinegar sauce on the table was good with the pork. Hushpuppies were just OK; I can think of a couple of places that have much better. Chicken was not barbecue; no smoke at all. It tasted like it was just oven baked and smothered with sauce. Overall, not bad, but I have had a lot better. No Southern Pride pit at Stameys.

biffleg
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you're right on the money with Stameys ... IMHO! Let us know if you're going to be back in Greensboro any time soon.