PDA

View Full Version : time to fess up

racer_81
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
It's time to finally (especially for one of the instigators) answer the Cattle Call.

I was born in and raised around the city of Owensboro KY, but have been living SW of Houston for 23 years.

Owensboro is home to more per capita bbq joints than any city in the US, if you believe USA Today, four of which are mentioned in Smoke and Spice. Not bad for a place of 55K folks.

Mutton is king there, followed by pork and chicken. Burgoo is king too (see Smoke and Spice).

Every Saturday in warm months (May to Labor Day or so) a different Catholic church has a BBQ picnic. It was at these events that I honed my appetite for BBQ. Imagine, if you will, going to an all-you-can-eat stand of
mutton, pork, chicken, burgoo and fixings - for 4 bucks (it's gone up since then). Every weekend. mmmmMMMMMmmmmm. <burp>

Owensboro is also home to some stock car boys for you NASCAR fanatics. The Waltrips, the Greens, and that Mayfield guy. I went to high school with the Green brothers and M. Waltrip. Had no clue what stock cars were then though.

Got a BS degree, took a job with TI and moved to TX. Been a company guy ever since doing engineering type stuff for advanced microprocessors. Got a couple of kids, wife (#2), a dog, a Bandera, a deer-killing Man Truck, and the confidence to know that the only real bourbon whiskeys come from Kentucky.

I have enjoyed every minute of interaction with The Brethren, and look forward to more of it as we continue the quest for the perfect Q.

So, who else hasn't fessed up?

brdbbq
02-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Already fessed up but I from Mt Carmel Illinois about 40 miles West of Evansville. Small world huh ?

ckkphoto
02-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Got a couple of kids, CHECK
wife (#2), CHICK
a dog, CHECK
a Bandera, CHECK
a deer-killing Man Truck, CHECK
and the confidence to know that the only real bourbon whiskeys come from Kentucky. CHEC...well actually I'm into single malt scotch on the rare occaision that its in the budget. Havent even tried kentucky bourbon.

I have enjoyed every minute of interaction with The Brethren, and look forward to more of it as we continue the quest for the perfect Q.
DOUBLE CHECK! 'cept my Q doesn't even have to be perfect as long as there is ENOUGH of it! :lol:

racer_81
02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Already fessed up but I from Mt Carmel Illinois about 40 miles West of Evansville. Small world huh ?

Yup. You must be familiar with the term "Posey County Melon".

brdbbq
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Yep sir and they are goooooood.

Bill-Chicago
02-19-2004, 10:52 AM
SO who drives the #81 car?

racer_81
02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
There is no #81 car as far as I know. The moniker is a combo of the year I was graduated with the BS degree (81) and the mascot of the school (Murray State Racers). Hence, Racer_81.

Don't much about racing, expect I always wonder what it feels like to go 190MPH backwards.

Bill-Chicago
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Big Daddy Don Garlits Mod

MikeG
02-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey Bill,
I believe we're talking NASCAR(good ole boys making left turns)as in
stock car racing. Big Daddy was an Icon is top fuel drag racing I think.
I'm not a big fan either, but my two brother-in-laws and nephews are.
I have my tickets to Talledega for the April 25th race. Gotta wonder if any of the "brothers" will be there besides me????
MikeG

Bill-Chicago
02-19-2004, 01:44 PM
I knew that Mike, I was messing with Kenny (as in Kentucky) Waltrip up above.

Shirley Muldowney retired last year (sobs)

But Kenny Bernstein is still racing funny cars. (Budweiser I believe)

brdbbq
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
I race the kids to the fridge every night. have not won yet. :wink:

chad
02-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Shirley may have retired but look for the Enders sisters to be moving up and in bikes look for Angelle Savoie and Angie McBride

Bill-Chicago
02-19-2004, 02:16 PM
She better duck or that copter will hit her

chad
02-19-2004, 02:18 PM
:mrgreen:

Ain't likely - her bike's faster than the chopper :D

You'll also note that one of her sponsors in the U.S. Army!

parrothead
02-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Now those are a couple of hotties.

chad
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Hot bikes, hot women, leather :mrgreen: what more could a guy ask for?

Here's a pic of Angella and her bike at work.

Heck her bio is something else: married to a pro football player, hails from Louisianna, won the world championship!!

Anyone wanta meet up at the GatorNationals and Bike Drags?? :D

chad
02-19-2004, 02:31 PM
R-'81:

See what you started with comments about racing?? :D As you've probably noticed we can go "off topic" faster than Jr. can do a lap at Daytona :mrgreen: