PDA

View Full Version : Everybody deserves a chance

Jorge
01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Speaking for myself, I'm going to give the new KCBS BoD the opportunity to reduce the level of frustration I've felt growing. It's a new year in BBQ and everybody is starting with a clean slate with me.

The goals I'd like to see accomplished are attainable. I'd like to see more communication to the membership about what has been accomplished and what the long and short term goals are. Long term strategic planning is more important now, than ever, with the current state of the economy. There are opportunities for growth. I'd like to see them be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

It's pretty simple. 1) Act like an adult. 2) Act like a Director and not a Manager. 3) Treat it like a business. 4) Earn my trust.

This new BoD gets several meeting to demonstrate the first point, and rack up some points for the fourth. No complaining, no whining, no bitching from me. Whether any of them has ever earned my vote no longer matters as they ARE my elected BoD.

Jeff_in_KC
01-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Great post, Jorge! I was just thinking the same thing on the way home yesterday. I had nice conversations with both Wayne and Tana yesterday morning and expressed much of what you said to them. Campaigns can be dividing and force people to take sides, so to speak, but now that it's over, we all need to come together, including and especially the Board, and do what's right for the organization and set personal agendas and beliefs aside! I started all my emails to members during the campaign with this at the top of every one:

TRANSPARENCY - OPEN COMMUNICATION - RESPECT FOR ALL MEMBERS - TEAMWORK

If these four ideas are followed to the letter by everyone, members in general and board members, most of our problems will be solved!

Podge
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree.. I am cautiously optomistic.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for both of your thoughts and inputs. These are great suggestions and ideas, now if the board will see it and act on it. I too, have not been real pleased with what has been done nor what was going on. I don't know everything, but I do know just enough. I have only kept my membership to be able to have a good standing and do the competitions that I enjoy doing. Hopefully things will be for the better for the members now, and in the future to come, and if it does, then the general public will hear more positive comments and the membership will most likely grow.

Thanks again for all you are doing....

Bill

Bigdog
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Speaking for myself, I'm going to give the new KCBS BoD the opportunity to reduce the level of frustration I've felt growing. It's a new year in BBQ and everybody is starting with a clean slate with me.

The goals I'd like to see accomplished are attainable. I'd like to see more communication to the membership about what has been accomplished and what the long and short term goals are. Long term strategic planning is more important now, than ever, with the current state of the economy. There are opportunities for growth. I'd like to see them be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

It's pretty simple. 1) Act like an adult. 2) Act like a Director and not a Manager. 3) Treat it like a business. 4) Earn my trust.

This new BoD gets several meeting to demonstrate the first point, and rack up some points for the fourth. No complaining, no whining, no bitching from me. Whether any of them has ever earned my vote no longer matters as they ARE my elected BoD.

Well put my mild mannered friend. :eusa_clap (Just don't piss him off) :wink:

Ford
01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
You're absolutely right. Let's see how it goes and maybe this time let's wait until we have facts and not start the lynchings based on rumors and part truths.

Jorge
01-18-2010, 01:08 PM
You're absolutely right. Let's see how it goes and maybe this time let's wait until we have facts and not start the lynchings based on rumors and part truths.

That's a huge part of my point. If the BoD can/will communicate better, there is less room/credibility for rumor.

Divemaster
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Great post, Jorge! I was just thinking the same thing on the way home yesterday. I had nice conversations with both Wayne and Tana yesterday morning and expressed much of what you said to them. Campaigns can be dividing and force people to take sides, so to speak, but now that it's over, we all need to come together, including and especially the Board, and do what's right for the organization and set personal agendas and beliefs aside! I started all my emails to members during the campaign with this at the top of every one:

TRANSPARENCY - OPEN COMMUNICATION - RESPECT FOR ALL MEMBERS - TEAMWORK

If these four ideas are followed to the letter by everyone, members in general and board members, most of our problems will be solved!

I couldn't agree more. If we have those four ideals, we will have a BOD that represents the membership and not the in-fighting and pettiness that we've seen in the past.

I really, REALLY, hope that we (the BOD and Membership) can move forward to produce some thing special, but then having been a life time Cubs fan, I've gotten good at being hopeful for a good next year.