PDA

View Full Version : KCBS 2010 Banquet Pics

Plowboy
01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Starting a place for everyone to put their banquet pictures.

Phil (BBQChef33) and my friend Roddy waiting at Tony Lukes
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet001.jpg

Andy(Hodedo) getting ready to dig in.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet004.jpg

Tony Lukes cheese steak. Best one of the weekend. Phil had seven cheese steaks at this point.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet005.jpg

Reading Terminal Market
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet006.jpg

Muzzlebrake and EVERYONE still eating our way through Philly. Reading Terminal Market
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet010.jpg

Some nasty looking ribs at the Reading Terminal Market.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/BBQ/2010KCBSbanquet011.jpg

BBQ Grail
01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
It looks like Phil really takes his Cheese steaks rather serious!

WineMaster
01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for letting us enjoy it through your posts Todd!

Dan

Cue's Your Daddy
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Phils wondering how many crunches he has to do at Ballys to work them off.

Westexbbq
01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Priceless!
Nice going.

Just Pulin' Pork
01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Todd thanks for posting these! Hope everyone has fun!

U2CANQUE
01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
much thanks all!!!!

barbefunkoramaque
01-16-2010, 08:22 PM
thnaks

Jaberwabee
01-16-2010, 08:33 PM

No Chit, I barely recognized him. Lookin good Phil. Hope everyone has a great time!!

River City Smokehouse
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the pics Todd. Oh Yea....did you get a butt dialed phone message from me the other day???? Sorry!

Plowboy
01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the pics Todd. Oh Yea....did you get a butt dialed phone message from me the other day???? Sorry!

Yes I did.

Bigdog
01-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Damn Phil, you have lost a ton of weight!!! Great job my friend. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:icon_cool

Greendriver
01-17-2010, 09:07 AM
It looks like Phil really takes his Cheese steaks rather serious!

LOL, proly trying to decide how many he can hold.

ique
01-17-2010, 09:07 AM

lmao!

Exe-que-tioner
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
What a great Avatar..........too funny!:-D

HoDeDo
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
I dont think it is possible to have too many meat comas in a weekend....

Divemaster
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
As of the last count Phil was up to 12 sammies just before noon today and he and Yack were going to pick up some more for the trip home!

LMAJ
01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Andy - really? Starburnt with a cheesesteak??? You're killing me.

BBQchef33
01-17-2010, 06:38 PM
As of the last count Phil was up to 12 sammies just before noon today and he and Yack were going to pick up some more for the trip home!

i think 12 is about right.

warning this is long..

the events that took place was not in my control.. at its all hodedo's, muzzlebreaks, skips, slednecks, roddie and most important, yakfishing fools fault. I was in a weakened state adn not in control of my actions. This was like letting the alcoholic loose in the bar, instead, i was accused of eating my way around philly. Sometimes chit happens, and i get farking ravenous. My luck that decided to kick in just as we hit the streets in PA. In stead of doing the right thing and going to the rules meeting, Yak decided to go straight to pats and then ginos before checking into the hotel. IT WAS HIS FAULT!!

WE hits Pats first, get, as the locals say it... wiz 'wit'.....and had to get a lesson in the language of cheesesteaks,.. In Philly, wit means, 'with onions'... so wiz wit, meant cheesesteak, cheese wiz, and 'wit onions'..

well, for a 200 mile drive, that was a let down. Around here, that would be known as 'steakums'. So we cross the street to ginos, this time i ditched the wiz(not afan to begin with), and went for "provolone mushroom wit".... yay..cheese-steak, provolone, mushrooms, wit onions. :mrgreen::eusa_clap

pretty good, better than pats.. Ginos wins.

Thats 2.

we get to the hotel at 4, check in, mingle a bit.,. then find out about "campos cheesesteaks' around the corner. at around 7:00, ok.. we're off... FOOD!

campos has a menu of sammys, one called the heater. Steak, jalepenos, onions, provolone, hot sauce.. HOLY CHIT!! That was farking great... Campos elevates to #1.. I also got one called The Italian, got that to go just in case. :mrgreen: this was steak, brocolli rabe, red peppers and mozzarella.

WEnt back to the hotel and hung out with folks in the lobby.. That poor sandwich sat on the table for an entire hour.. Calling me.. callling out.. so alone... finally, around 10.. i had to put it out of its misery.. :cool:

Thats 4.

damn.. 4 hoagies in 8 hrs.. oh well. WTF....i was hungry. Well.. todd and andy and muzzlebreak show up around 11... midnight my stomach is growling.. :confused::confused: I'm thinking tapeworm.

12:30... todds also getting hungry.. :) hehehehe..... an allie. finally.. the group decides to head out for somethign to eat.. Andy finds out about Jims steaks.. :wink: We take a walk(the scenic route, i planned it thart way.)

Actually, Plowboy and I jogged it while the rest of the guys walked twice the distance by swerving back and forth and wobbling the entire walk. 1:45AM, we are on line at Jims steaks, with 100 other folks.. get the steaks and eat there. Even have live entertainment.(seperate thread running) when the 300lb manager restrains himself from eating a puny 20 year old, pimplie faced drunk kid. Then, as an encore, we watched the cops smack him around too.

Anyway... Jims steaks made sandwich #5.

It rated at #2 behind Campos heater and in front of the Italian at #3.

Ginos was #4 and pats trailed at #5.

Cut to Sunday.. BREAKFAST!!!!

Tony Lukes. Everyone gets a 2 pack.. 1 with Roast Pork, brocolli rabe, spinach and provolone. Thew second, teaditional cheesteaks.. Miine was provolone mushroom wit.

that farkin pork sandwich is nirvana.. THAT is worth a 200 mile drive. The Steak sammy was nothign special... so that steaks ammy goes into #4, pushin ginos and pats to #5 and #6. But that pork sammy is # 1... but since its not steak, its stands alone..

Off we head to Reading Market at jorges direction for the Italian sub.. Line was a mile long, and here in NY, italian subs are a dime a dozen. WE decided to wander around and see wahat son the menu..

Muzzlebreak brings us to a pretzel stand that makes great pretzels.. the also had...

The Cheesesteak pretzel. :mrgreen:

Pretzel dough, rolled out, packed with cheesesteak, onions, and mozerella cheese, then baked.. Gottqa try that.. right?

So I did..

:icon_sick it was so farking good.. gooey,, messy, Im trying to find room in some crevice in my stomach for it.. At that point, the only way i was able to define my physical capabilities was that of a python that just ate a cow out on the Serengeti. That included walking, which i found myself doing by tilting to one side, then the other.. Plowboy came to my rescuerw and ate some of that cheesesteak pretzel.. now, look at picture #5 above.. Im sitting behind Muzzlebreak.. u can see my eyes, i am eating the cheesesteak pretzel.. notice my eyes.. they are like that due to backpressure in the gut. One more bite, they were blowing out.. thank you plowboy.. u save my life. !

Although thats # 8 in the volume list and would be # 4 in the just below Jims steaks.. I'll keep it seperate. :wink:

cheesesteak #6 and
Roast pork, #7
and the cheese steak pretzle..

i had no choice but to go to the hotel where a 2 hour nap got the cow traveling thru my gut broken down to were I can move again and I can walk without leaning over to one side 30 degrees.

Unfortunately, I woke up farking hungry.. and more unfortunate, it was before the KCBS banquet where there wasn't any food anyway. :twisted:

After the banquet we head to jeffs after party.. After about 5 minutes and a scan of the rooms we see alot of beer... we had a choice of bar food, or somethign different, sowe decided to get...

cheese steaks. After all, we are in Philly, right??. :cool: coincidentally.. Campos is around the corner.

We head out and hijack Yak and Skip on the way.. off to campos for The Heater. Roddie didnt try it yet, and hes up for it..

1 minute walk, and we are there..

CLOSED. :eek::eek:

hmm..., 3 doors down..

Sonnys Cheese steaks..

Philly has a few cheese steak places.. i think averages out to about every 11 feet.

In to sonnys....

Mushroom provolone wit... learn that by now?

we all get one..

I half jokingly say, i can do another.. where roddie gets up with ME TOO!.

we decide to split one.. so that makes..

8 cheese steaks, 30 hours so far..

a little while back at the tavern, a few chciekn wings, head back to the hotel. Im a figuring we are done.

Wrong.

2 AM one of skips friends amkes a takeout run to jims steaks.

3AM, Cheese steak #10 is making its way to the half digested cow, in my gut.

Thats 10 cheese steaks, and a cheese steak pretzel.. in 36 hours.

no, im not sick.. WTF...

well breakfast.. we had... coffee.. and then off to Cambos to get somethign for the ride home and to bring the family.. 2 heaters, 2 provolone mushroom wit..

one didnt make it home.. that was # 11..

And the Pretzel.

Family had the remaining 2.5 sandwiches...

why, 2.5? Vinny took a sample.. i tried unloading the whole sandwich on him, but some people have self control.

BTW.... i did some shopping on the way home.. this is tonights dinner, and at least the next few days.

Greendriver
01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
great write up and about the funniest thing I've read in long time. now I know who the best comedian of the bunch is. LOL

I'm thinking tapeworm too! in addition to the rabbit food diet for a while, you might ought to go get checked out.

BBQchef33
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Diet? No diet here.. 2 days at the Gym will take care of the calories.

Thats fiber. Only fiber I had in 2 days came from the onions in the cheesesteaks and the handfull of string beans and lettuce i got care of the KCBS banquet.

Oh, and a crouton. There were some croutons left too.

LMAJ
01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Phil - guess you didn't see the veggie stands at RTM!
Nice write up - glad you liked the steaks. Pat's and Geno's - tourist traps....

Greendriver
01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Diet? No diet here.. 2 days at the Gym will take care of the calories.

Thats fiber. Only fiber I had in 2 days came from the onions in the cheesesteaks and the handfull of string beans and lettuce i got care of the KCBS banquet.

Oh, and a crouton. There were some croutons left too.

if yer gonna take care of what you ate, you better make that 2 days 24 hr per day and you still need to get that tapeworm checked.

smknwhlswife
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Andy - really? Starburnt with a cheesesteak??? You're killing me.

My husband can pretty much any combination of things.:icon_sick

Plowboy
01-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I drove by Tony Luke's on the way to the airport. They were just opening. Sooooo tempting. If I knew that my plane was going to be delayed... I'd have grabbed one more Italian steak. I was so pissed that I didn't.

MilitantSquatter
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
why, 2.5? Vinny took a sample.. i tried unloading the whole sandwich on him, but some people have self control.

I've got a ton going on this weekend on a personal/family level, but Phil stopped by to pay respects and then dragged me out to the parking lot, pulled me into his car so I could quickly devour 1/2 of a still warm Campo's cheesesteak for a five min break...

Put a smile on my face and my stomach.

watertowerbbq
01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
sounds like a great time

Bigdog
01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I've got a ton going on this weekend on a personal/family level, but Phil stopped by to pay respects and then dragged me out to the parking lot, pulled me into his car so I could quickly devour 1/2 of a still warm Campo's cheesesteak for a five min break...

Put a smile on my face and my stomach.

And that is what friends are for. 8-)8-)

Great write up Poopy. I have an idea: Why don't we make a bunch of cheesesteaks at the Royal this year? We all get sick of eating BBQ.

Pig Headed
01-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Phil, great seeing you in Philly, or what's left of you. I agree about Tony Lukes pork sammy, the best!!!!!!!!!!! I see you did your best to boost the economy in Philly. Funny chit.

Big George's BBQ
01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
It was great seeing everyone and meetng people that I read about here. Had a great time. Phil you did a hell of a job. BTW with all the grease that you ate that shoul be a great laxative. Hope to see you all again soon

bbqpitstop
01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
seriously ? no food at the banquet other than a salad ?

Candy Sue
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I got some green beans too!!! Seriously, what kind of caterer makes that kind of mistake? Cesar salad was really good. Free wine was cool.

So, Phil, what was the final cheesesteak line up? I only had one, the Sonny's Classic. I thought it was cheesesteak nirvana. It was more than I could eat and I really, really tried hard.

Had a great time in Philly y'all. Great to meet folks I've not met before, I hope to see y'all again!

I was disappointed with only one thing...I hate that Philly has the normal big city profile now with all the tall buildings. Shame on the 1980 mayor that allowed buildings to top William Penn's head.

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
what a fun time, I know some of you guys from the midwest were bummed about where it was, but I want to thank the KCBS for having it our neck of the woods. It was really cool to come and have a chance to meet, eat and drink with everyone outside of a contest. It was weird to not smell like smoke in the morning......

yeah the food running out was just sad but even more ballsy I thought was the ribs they were serving........didn't anyone look at who booked the room?

the hotel left a lot of things to be desired, LCD TV's are only good if they actually get reception and what ever happened to bathroom fans?

BBQchef33
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
seriously ? no food at the banquet other than a salad ?

they ran out of food about halfway thru.. (and they had servers, so it was not like folds were scoffing all the stuff up).

so they scrambled and got some fried chicken and ribs to serve.

Sad thing was the ribs seemed to be boiled, then covered with sauce. THis was the wrong crowd to do that with.

I got there in time for some pork and string beans. Wouldnt matter to me anyway, I have been to enough KCBS banquets to know not to go there for the food. i go to see everyone. But you would think the Sheraton would know how to plan a little better.

Plowboy
01-18-2010, 09:48 PM
they ran out of food about halfway thru.. (and they had servers, so it was not like folds were scoffing all the stuff up).

so they scrambled and got some fried chicken and ribs to serve.

Sad thing was the ribs seemed to be boiled, then covered with sauce. THis was the wrong crowd to do that with.

I got there in time for some pork and string beans. Wouldnt matter to me anyway, I have been to enough KCBS banquets to know not to go there for the food. i go to see everyone. But you would think the Sheraton would know how to plan a little better.

Those ribs were TERRIBLE!!! I couldn't eat them. I didn't realize they ran out of food. I went through the line about half way through the crowd. When I got to the meat carver, they had au jus and horseradish. I'm thinking prime rib and the guy gives me two chitty ribs.

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Those ribs were TERRIBLE!!! I couldn't eat them. I didn't realize they ran out of food. I went through the line about half way through the crowd. When I got to the meat carver, they had au jus and horseradish. I'm thinking prime rib and the guy gives me two chitty ribs.

yeah by the time our table in the second row went up they were out of potatoes and the pork was being tightly rationed on our side and the other line was out of meat completely. From what we did get I didn't think I missed much.

Rub
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Well I wasn't able to make it up to Philly, but I did get to go to the FBA banquet here in FLA this past Saturday. It was all you could eat oysters, shrimp two ways, crab cakes, scallops, catfish, hushpuppies, etc, plus free beer! Didn't run out of anydamnthing.

Plus we got our BLUES ON with the Josh Kirkland Band playing live- the boy can rock! Check him out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRqEnjPezkE

Just sayin'...
:wink:

The croutons and salad sure sounded good though, hee-hee!

Scottie
01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I got a piece of cheese cake. Paired nicely with the free wine. Fortunately, I was still stuffed from the roast pork, cheesesteaks, hogies, macaroni cheese, fried chicken. Didn't get a pretzel though.

Running out of food at a banquet, why did I pay $55? That's the most expensive piece of cheese cake known to man. It wasn't that good either. I don't think they used Philly cream cheese!! ;)

Got some good entires though. Going to some fun places this year! Lots of new states and Capitals!!! ;)

smknwhlswife
01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Well I wasn't able to make it up to Philly, but I did get to go to the FBA banquet here in FLA this past Saturday. It was all you could eat oysters, shrimp two ways, crab cakes, scallops, catfish, hushpuppies, etc, plus free beer! Didn't run out of anydamnthing.

The croutons and salad sure sounded good though, hee-hee!

Andy said he would be happy to dry out a pork tenderloin and mail it to you. By the time it arrived to you it should taste about like what he had there.:eek:

Ron_L
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
In the spirit of the Brethren, here is the food pron of my dinner at the banquet. The last of the salad and beans and pork... Ocean County Pig Assasin was behind me and he literally scraped out the salad bowl.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XDMAnrzmI/AAAAAAAAE6E/dBu8z4wsxLo/s800/P4260312.JPG

They did eventually bring out more salad and some undercooked potatoes. No desserts at all when I was up there.

Plowboy
01-19-2010, 09:21 AM
In the spirit of the Brethren, here is the food pron of my dinner at the banquet. The last of the salad and beans and pork... Ocean County Pig Assasin was behind me and he literally scraped out the salad bowl.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XDMAnrzmI/AAAAAAAAE6E/dBu8z4wsxLo/s800/P4260312.JPG

They did eventually bring out more salad and some undercooked potatoes. No desserts at all when I was up there.

You should have said something. I would have given you the undercooked ribs that I didn't eat.

Was this a "leftovers" banquet?

Ron_L
01-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Here are a couple of pics that i took in Philly...

Campos Deli Cheesesteak...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XOl16ARkI/AAAAAAAAE8k/qxjs9aC_k1g/s800/IMG_0078.JPG

Phil showing off his "guns"
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XDHtX0n7I/AAAAAAAAE58/oiOV_r2X91k/s800/P4260290.JPG

Traditional cheesesteak (whiz wit) at the airport...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XIhYRfbNI/AAAAAAAAE6c/L0bXOKWEyT0/s800/P4260319.JPG

All of my pics from the trip are here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/2010KCBSBanquet?feat=directlink

Ron_L
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
You should have said something. I would have given you the undercooked ribs that I didn't eat.

Was this a "leftovers" banquet?

I wish you had said something earlier. I may have taken you up on that :rolleyes:

Plowboy
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Despite the buffet issue, I had such a great time in Philly with the boys that it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Yakfishingfool
01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I was a'scared..he was eating everything, additionally nothing was exiting. He could have 'sploded right there in the room!!! As it was he just kept eating...kind of like the "very hungry caterpillar" story.

Good time there, much to late at night for me. But lots of fun. My dinner was a salad and that was it. Kind of bummed as the food really sucked at the banquet. Scott

Ron_L
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Despite the buffet issue, I had such a great time in Philly with the boys that it really wasn't that big of a deal.

I agree... It was strange, but it was a small part of the whole weekend! We met so many new folks, Brethren and not, that I don't think I could list them all! It was great putting faces to names in a lot of cases plus completely new folks like some of the organizers and reps from other parts of the country.

Plowboy
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Here are a couple of pics that i took in Philly...

Campos Deli Cheesesteak...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XOl16ARkI/AAAAAAAAE8k/qxjs9aC_k1g/s800/IMG_0078.JPG

Phil showing off his "guns"
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XDHtX0n7I/AAAAAAAAE58/oiOV_r2X91k/s800/P4260290.JPG

Traditional cheesesteak (whiz wit) at the airport...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/S1XIhYRfbNI/AAAAAAAAE6c/L0bXOKWEyT0/s800/P4260319.JPG

All of my pics from the trip are here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/2010KCBSBanquet?feat=directlink

You are killing me with that first pic.

Jorge
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd like to thank everyone not named BBQChef33, Scottie, or Ron_L that didn't text pictures of you sandwiches to me!

Ron_L
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I'd like to thank everyone not named BBQChef33, Scottie, or Ron_L that didn't text pictures of you sandwiches to me!

You're welcome :-D

Scottie
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Man, that is tall cotton I am with....

So who sent the best picture? Could you display them all for me and maybe let everyone decide? I am also grateful that the "hit" that was placed on me is no longer valid... :eek:

Divemaster
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
We had a GREAT time meeting every one!!! It’s amazing how we can finally meet and it feels like we have known each other for years… Wait, we have!

Phil, I have to admit, you did amaze me with the quantity of food you put down. Looking at your shopping cart it looks more like you were shopping for Little Bunny Fofo rather than the head of a BBQ web site!

Ron and Amy, while the cheese steak at the airport was good, I now wish we had stopped at Tony’s for a few dozen for the road… It sure would have made the flight smell better and I’m sure driven more than a few nuts as well! We could have made a fortune!

I have to admit that food at the banquet was a MAJOR disappointment. About the only interesting thing was that I ended up with MOINK slices… I managed to score some of the pork loin and before I could say anything they had dumped a ladle of beef gravy on top of it… Maybe the best part was that I couldn’t really make out the flavor of either…

PatioDaddio
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
You'd think that the one thing a cooking society would excel at would be putting on a great buffet. To skimp there is just really bad form and does not send a good message.

John

Diva
01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
It was a drag, considering it seemed like we were eating every hour or so and there was a lull in my feeding time :biggrin:

I made sure we had liquid supplements :twisted:

Bigdog
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
You'd think that the one thing a cooking society would excel at would be putting on a great buffet. To skimp there is just really bad form and does not send a good message.

John

I totally agree. And for $55.00 as well. I don't know about you, but that is one hell of a lot of money for dinner. What is tells me is that a board that screws this up that badly is also screwing up other things. I would love to know who planned that fiasco. :icon_sad

butt head
01-19-2010, 07:03 PM
i'm thinking a side job fedex'in cheese steaks to brethren :biggrin: by the way campo's delivers anywere www.camposdeli.com

BBQchef33
01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
why do u guys think i was eating anything in site? i knew what to expect at the banquet. :twisted::cool:

honestly, I would put the blame on Sheraton and the caterer, not KCBS.

KCBS contracted Sheraton to feed all the guests and Sheraton didn't perform. I know that was being addressed the following morning by the KCBS folks that organized the banquet. Talking to the BODs, it seemed the(caterer) breached several sections of the contract.

anyway, as i told a group of us earlier in the weekend. Dont go to that banquet expecting to eat. The previous 2 banquets I went to left something to be desired each time. I go to see everyone, not to eat... well, not at the banquet anyway.

Bigdog
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I understand all that, but there is a pattern here. I may be wrong but I just feel like someone with the KCBS is being incompetent. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again and again and I'll show you who the slow learner is. :roll:

Slamdunkpro
01-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I understand all that, but there is a pattern here...... :roll:
+1
This goes right back to Todd's request for open committees. There could have been an open call for a banquet/meeting committee to seek help from the membership. I know of a couple of KCBS members that are professional meeting planners and we have a ton of food service people that could have ridden herd on the Sheraton. It seems that everything was done/decided in a vacuum.

bbqpitstop
01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Just a suggestion but at the National Barbecue Conference we choose a group of members each year to cook the food and it has been fantastic. When we book the hotel we let them know it is a condition of booking. Last year The Shed cooked, year before Checkered Pig and Ed Wilson and year before that Porkys out of Indiana. Most attending members end up helping in the parking lot. As soon as I learn how to post pics, you gotta see the incredible spread. No shortage of food or ambiance there !

bbqpitstop
01-20-2010, 12:35 AM
http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae257/bbqpitstop/NBBQA%20Show%202009/

will this work ? I tried the mountain link but it comes up with a red x ? Anyway, if it works you can see all of us cooking and drinking in the parking lot, Tommy from Checkered Pig actually picked up his pit at this conference from Jambo Pits I believe so these are some of the first pics of the pit unused.

Anyway, maybe you could bring this up to the board. 55 dollars per person would sure allow a good size group of you to call for a sysco refrigerated truck and put on a nice spread. We laughed when we planned this years banquet coming up because our management company wanted to know what the expense for "keg of beer" went to and we had to explain to them that traditionally this is a "perk" of pitching in with the appointed team in the parking lot. Lots of fun.

Bigdog
01-20-2010, 05:59 AM
+1
This goes right back to Todd's request for open committees. There could have been an open call for a banquet/meeting committee to seek help from the membership. I know of a couple of KCBS members that are professional meeting planners and we have a ton of food service people that could have ridden herd on the Sheraton. It seems that everything was done/decided in a vacuum.

Absodamnlutely!! It's not like we don't have thousands of possibilities and thousands of people that know what good food is. It's a cooking group for crying out loud. What they did is comparable to hosting a vine club and serving Boon's Farm. :eek: I'm sorry but there is no excuse for bad food.

ThomEmery
01-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Next year it is a home game in KC
Hopefully a better showing will result

HoDeDo
01-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Guys I have to agree with Phil on where the fault lies on the food... Think about any big meeting/gathering, etc. that you go to... The food is never stellar. It is hotel buffet food.

Running out of food is a HUGE error, but that is 100% on the Sheraton. I would love to see the KCBS share some of what they get back out of the Sheraton, back with the attendees.

I know a couple of people that complained to the desk, and got their room comped. The facility was not the best overall... But I am sure every hotel had it's issues. There are facilities that will allow you to bring in food, but I dont know of a hotel in our area that will.

Can't beat the fun and friends, I never expect good food... (even if this was below that expectation!)

Plowboy
01-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd hate to be the person who had to decide which member gets the catering gig and which one's don't.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-20-2010, 08:53 AM
It's not about the food...it's all about the people and the great time we had. It was an amazing weekend for me...putting faces to people I've know for several years was an extreme pleasure. I loved the fact that we could all hang out and not have to worry about trimming chicken, parsley boxes or temps on our pits. We had an awesome time and plan on being in KC next year...see ya all there!

Scottie
01-20-2010, 10:08 AM
why do u guys think i was eating anything in site? i knew what to expect at the banquet. :twisted::cool:

honestly, I would put the blame on Sheraton and the caterer, not KCBS.

KCBS contracted Sheraton to feed all the guests and Sheraton didn't perform. I know that was being addressed the following morning by the KCBS folks that organized the banquet. Talking to the BODs, it seemed the(caterer) breached several sections of the contract.

anyway, as i told a group of us earlier in the weekend. Dont go to that banquet expecting to eat. The previous 2 banquets I went to left something to be desired each time. I go to see everyone, not to eat... well, not at the banquet anyway.

Just to let you know... I had joked about my $55 piece of cheese cake on another Forum. Kelly Cain contacted me, along with CCing someone from the Sheraton for them to fix the problem. If you missed out, contact Kelly and she will fix it for you. I sure didn't reach out, Kelly did, but KCBS wants to make sure everyone is happy.

So thanks to Kelly for reaching out and trying to fix the problem.

Diva Q
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Just a suggestion but at the National Barbecue Conference we choose a group of members each year to cook the food and it has been fantastic. When we book the hotel we let them know it is a condition of booking. Last year The Shed cooked, year before Checkered Pig and Ed Wilson and year before that Porkys out of Indiana. Most attending members end up helping in the parking lot. As soon as I learn how to post pics, you gotta see the incredible spread. No shortage of food or ambiance there !

have to say I have been to a lot of banquet meals and both the dinner and the luncheon that we were served were very nice. PLenty of food. Getting fed by the Shed was great last year!

SmokinOkie
01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
You know, after 5 pages of stories and photos, I'm waiting for the "cheesesteak throwdown" so I can get more photos and recipes.

There is a place here in OKC that does Philly "style" cheesesteaks, but nothing is like the originals back there. Or pitbeef in Baltimore...

Oh, damn I'm hungry now.

Scottie
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
You know, after 5 pages of stories and photos, I'm waiting for the "cheesesteak throwdown" so I can get more photos and recipes.

There is a place here in OKC that does Philly "style" cheesesteaks, but nothing is like the originals back there. Or pitbeef in Baltimore...

Oh, damn I'm hungry now.

Ask Jorge. My understanding is he got a lot of nice pictures! :twisted:

My favorite was the roast pork from Tony Luke's. For cheesesteak it was Jim's. Although Tony Luke's bread is outstanding...

bbqpitstop
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Plowboy,

Just to clarify.....picking the member for the catering gig doesn't get too difficult due to the fact that this is not generally a paid gig. While our association ponys up for the cost of the food and organizes having the food onsite for cooking, my understanding is that this is an opportunity for the caterers to "showcase" their food. Labor, travel expenses, etc. are generally not reimbursed.

Usually it's someone that is already attending the conference, teaching a class or lives in the area that the conference is being held. That being said I can tell you that most caterers while they like the exposure, are aware that it's a hell of a lot of work. I think it's thought of more as a revolving "contribution" to the association to be involved. This year in Memphis we're pleased to have the services of Natural Born Grillers, Sweet Swine O Mine, and Central BBQ......Can't wait.

bbqpitstop
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
And since I'll probably make this banquet next year, I'm putting my vote in right now for Pork Pullin Plowboys and Smoke on Wheels.....Andy ? Me and the giggler would help you know that !

Plowboy
01-20-2010, 06:16 PM
My favorite was the roast pork from Tony Luke's. For cheesesteak it was Jim's. Although Tony Luke's bread is outstanding...

Preach on, brother Scottie. Preach on. :eusa_clap

I had a "local" cheesesteak yesterday and had to text Andy about how bad the bread was after eating at Tony Luke's.

Jorge
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Ask Jorge. My understanding is he got a lot of nice pictures! :twisted:

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Plowboy
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I wish had known about Jorge wanting to pics o cheesesteaks. I could have helped with that caper.

Divemaster
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
I wish had known about Jorge wanting to pics o cheesesteaks. I could have helped with that caper.
Wouldn't we all..... LOL

Ron_L
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Preach on, brother Scottie. Preach on. :eusa_clap

I had a "local" cheesesteak yesterday and had to text Andy about how bad the bread was after eating at Tony Luke's.

We didn't make it to Tony Lukes, but overall the bread around here is either too crusty or too mushy. I used "bratwurst rolls" for the cheesesteaks that i made yesterday and it was close, but not quite.

Scottie
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Tony Luke's was special Ron. You know we have awesome bread around here and I can't say I've had any other like it. I know I'll be stopping in philly on my way from DC to Lake Placid and will stop so my girls can try them. I'll make sure I take a picture... ;)

I hope that 'hit' is not back on again!!! Too funny everyone was thinking of Jorge. We must all care...

early mornin' smokin'
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I dated a girl from Philly for a while, the best part of the relationship was being able to sample alllll the cheesesteaks. Pats, genos, plenty of others, but tony lukes italian always took the cake.