PDA

View Full Version : Backyard competitions in 2010?

falldownbbq
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Anyone knows of any backyard competitions along with the KCBS comps this year in the pa nj de area? please let me know if anyone knows.. im not that good but just wanna have some fun!

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
There will be one at Pork in the Park, Salisbury, MD in Apr, and one during the Bel Air BBQ, Bel Air, MD in Aug.

Usually these are not sanctioned events and the organizers are the best POC. Check their websites or call them to see if they are having one.

Here is where I usually tell folks, to go for it and do a full blown comp, but with the economy the way it is right now, I won't (but consider it, not hard at all and is a GAS!!!!):icon_shy

falldownbbq
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks big ugly! i like the back yards.. now worried about the economy.. but i like doing light comps and being around the big comps!!

HBMTN
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
There will be one in Staunton, Va in August if you want to travel that far.

dreed
01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Possibly one at Tuxedo, NY Just a backyard comp. This one will be the weekend of June 19

lunchlady
01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
There will be a few in the MA, NH area as well, if you wanna travel that far.
The NEBS 2010 calendar will be up shortly.... www.nebs.org

p.s. I highly recommend Brookline, NH. There's a Kid's Competition AND a Backyard!
Good Times!

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
I just thought about it, there is a full scale contest, with the backyard feel to it. Galvinells Meats in Conowingo, MD holds a MABA sanctioned contest in May. Great organizer, the fees are reasonable ($125-150), they can have your meat ready on site when you arrive, the site is wide open and its alot of fun!

I would recommend this one to anyone who want to give a full contest a shot. Last year, we had a couple teams come in on Sat and cook just ribs, and chicken.

goodsmokebbq
01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Roc City Rib Fest in Rochester, NY memorial day weekend, has a backyard rib, NEBS grilling, and KCBS bbq comp. Take your pick! Great experience to be around the seasoned teams. A handful of early bird priced packages still left!

Porkmeister
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Just so happens that I am helping to organize a one day non-sanctioned event for Childrens Hemophilia in Hatfield PA on May 22 2010. We are in the very begining stages but I think it will be $150 entry for a Chicken, Rib, and Chefs Choice turn ins. A great way to start out or practice for the season.
This is to raise money to find a cure for this childhood disease.

I'll have more info soon. I sure could use a few teams to sign up.You can contact me at mike@porkmeisterbbq.com.

Thanks

Mike