PDA

View Full Version : Spares and BB's???????

Q-Dat
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Hello all. I'm gonna be in my first comp in April, and I had a question.

I've bever heard of this before so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone here ever heard of putting both spares and babybacks in the same turnin box? Maybe in two seperate piles so that the judges can easily tell them apart?

Just a thought.

Butcher BBQ
01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
K.I.S.S. system

Papa Hogg
01-13-2010, 08:04 AM
No never heard of doing that before, I want the judges to all have the same experience, so I put 6 or 7 bones in the box, you do not want to "pile" the ribs in there which you would have to do to get 12 bones in the box (6 spares & 6 B.B.'s).

Pick one and cook it, I've finished in the top 10 with B.B.'s & Spares, choose the one that you think you cook the best.

BigJimsBBQ
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Pick one and go with one IMHO....

Jacked UP BBQ
01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Hello all. I'm gonna be in my first comp in April, and I had a question.

I've bever heard of this before so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone here ever heard of putting both spares and babybacks in the same turnin box? Maybe in two seperate piles so that the judges can easily tell them apart?

Just a thought.

I say try it, why not? Maybe you got the ticket. People put every other type of meast in two forms, why not ribs. I think it s a great idea. Keep us posted on how it works out.

early mornin' smokin'
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
id stick with a good, well trimmed spare. BB's can overcook wayyyy too easily, and will lead to pull off the bone, not bite thru....my 2 pennies

Podge
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Just cook what you're good at, as long as it's spares. IMO.

This Is How We Que It
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
K.I.S.S. system

Former military?:icon_cool

Q-Dat
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys. You're all pretty much confirming what I suspected which is not to surprise the judges too much.

I just thought it might be give judges who might prefer one over the other a choice. I know that some judges will pick up a leaner or fattier rib depending on their preference.

But again probably best not to get too "busy" with the turn in box.