PDA

View Full Version : KCBS BOD meeting in Philly

Nitrofly
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
This seems like a stupid question, But I'm compelled to ask anyway :icon_blush:
Why do I as a KCBS member do I have to ask permission to attend
the KCSB BOD meeting in Philly :rolleyes:
Thats what I read in the Bull sheet that came yesterday.

Scottie
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm doing a silent boycott and going to drink and eat cheesesteaks instead... :rolleyes:

LindaM
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
This seems like a stupid question, But I'm compelled to ask anyway :icon_blush:
Why do I as a KCBS member do I have to ask permission to attend
the KCSB BOD meeting in Philly :rolleyes:
Thats what I read in the Bull sheet that came yesterday.

Only to know how big a room we need. IF we have 30 like last year we need a smaller room than if we have 100. We pay per size of room. Hope that helps, we welcome the members to attend.

Candy Sue
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought permission to attend was not required, only permission to speak?

goodsmokebbq
01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I added the BOD meeting on the registration form, does that count as permission to attend?

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I added the BOD meeting on the registration form, does that count as permission to attend?

I spoke with a few people on the inside and I got you an inside to get in. Go to the back door and ask for billysue and give her a 50 and they will let you in!:razz:

goodsmokebbq
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I spoke with a few people on the inside and I got you an inside to get in. Go to the back door and ask for billysue and give her a 50 and they will let you in!:razz:

Man, this is turning into an expensive trip...

Merl
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Candy you are correct. The annual meeting is open to every KCBS member in good standing. (pd dues and good moral character). You only have to register 24 hours in advance if you desire to address the board on an issue.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Philly.
Merl

Scottie
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM

So I guess you don't want to go out eating cheesesteaks and see the Rocky statue with us? :roll:

Good luck with the results Candy.

Divemaster
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Candy you are correct. The annual meeting is open to every KCBS member in good standing. (pd dues and good moral character). You only have to register 24 hours in advance if you desire to address the board on an issue.

Merl
Well that pretty much knocks me out... :roll:

trohrs123
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm doing a silent boycott and going to drink and eat cheesesteaks instead... :rolleyes:
I'll sign up for that program!!

Paola Greg
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Merl

Hi Merl, I hope the listen in option is available for this meeting as per normal, I faxed in my request form to the office today.

Scottie
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Merl, I hope the listen in option is available for this meeting as per normal, I faxed in my request form to the office today.

I was going to say I would hold up my phone for you. But I forgot I'll be off seeing Rocky.... :roll:

Merl
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Greg,
It requires a two line phone with conference capability. Don was checking with the Hotel to see if they could provide it. I do not know the out come.

I hope so too.
Merl

Jorge
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Greg,
It requires a two line phone with conference capability. Don was checking with the Hotel to see if they could provide it. I do not know the out come.

I hope so too.
Merl

Merl, do you know if any thought has been given to making audio of the rules meeting available to members that can't attend. Either live, or via MP3 later on? I'd be interested to hear the discussion that may or may not alter the rules for the coming season.

Candy Sue
01-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Good idea on the rules recording! Might be a bit frustrating though.

Candy Sue
01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
So I guess you don't want to go out eating cheesesteaks and see the Rocky statue with us? :roll:

Good luck with the results Candy.

I've got to admit, that's not why I'm looking forward to being in Philly! As a "product of Pennsylvania" myself, it'll be fun seeing how much I don't remember from 30 years ago. As a descendant from a Declaration of Independence signer (and a direct descendant from a Tennessee Volunteer who fought at Kings Mountain), I think I'll do the history thing early Saturday.

Are there any dinner plans going on for Friday night?

Scottie
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm pulling in late Friday night. So I plan on eating cheesesteak or roast pork on the way to the hotel...

Diva
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I've got to admit, that's not why I'm looking forward to being in Philly! As a "product of Pennsylvania" myself, it'll be fun seeing how much I don't remember from 30 years ago. As a descendant from a Declaration of Independence signer (and a direct descendant from a Tennessee Volunteer who fought at Kings Mountain), I think I'll do the history thing early Saturday.

I've got your digits. I'm sure the I Smell Smoke crew will be going out to dinner and I'm MORE than sure you're welcome to join us. I'll get with you Friday afternoon.

Muzzlebrake
01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
As a descendant from a Declaration of Independence signer (and a direct descendant from a Tennessee Volunteer who fought at Kings Mountain), I think I'll do the history thing early Saturday.

are you really a dire t descendant? Thats way cool!
Andy, Toddy, Roddy and I are heading over to Linda Mullanes Pig Daddy's for Friday dinner. They don't have seating but from what I understand we can get our food in the bar next door. Anyone up for an impropmtu Philly bash?

Big George's BBQ
01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Where is Pig Daddys

Muzzlebrake
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM
693 Burmont Road, Drexel Hill, PA 19026 (http://www.pigdaddysbarbecue.com/)

LMAJ
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Andy, Toddy, Roddy and I are heading over to Linda Mullanes Pig Daddy's for Friday dinner. They don't have seating but from what I understand we can get our food in the bar next door. Anyone up for an impropmtu Philly bash?
What time you thinking???

Muzzlebrake
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
7-7:30 ish

Plowboy
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I see that pellet cookers are on the Rules meeting agenda for the 10th consecutive year. I'm sure garnish will come up, too. These topics are like the Pucksatony Phil of BBQ. They come out the end of January each year waiting for the KCBS BOD to see their shadows. Could this be the year that these rules change because a couple dozen members meet in a hotel conference room?

Diva
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
They used to meet at a Senior Center.

Plowboy
01-13-2010, 11:24 PM
They used to meet at a Senior Center.

The venues change, but the hot air stays the same. It is sad that we have contests struggling for sponsorship money along with a low BOD approval rating and people want to talk about the same rhetorical topics that have been discussed over and over for at least the ten years that I've been a KCBS member.

Well, at least this year we get to talk about the all important returning of parted pork to the cooker.

nancee
01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I will be driving down during rulesa way to listen n.
thanks
Nancee

nancee
01-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I should be there late afternoon at the latest. For those who don't want Q (anyone's Q) walking distance has awesome Chinese/Asian and Italian. I can do either.

Ponderosa BBQ
01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm looking to eat around 1:00pm sat anyone need a tagalong guest? Looking for some good grub. Some good fish and chips sound great but I'm up for anything need to coat my stomach for the drinking later that evening.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Count us in for PigDaddy's we love an impromptu bash!

HoDeDo
01-14-2010, 07:07 AM

A boycott maybe.... but silent? highly doubtful... :twisted:

Candy you are correct. The annual meeting is open to every KCBS member in good standing. (pd dues and good moral character). You only have to register 24 hours in advance if you desire to address the board on an issue.I look forward to seeing everyone in Philly.
Merl

Since when did good moral character become a requirement.... you tryin to stonewall me from attending, Merl :rolleyes:

Jeff_in_KC
01-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm looking to eat around 1:00pm sat anyone need a tagalong guest? Looking for some good grub. Some good fish and chips sound great but I'm up for anything need to coat my stomach for the drinking later that evening.

Dang, it's 8:30 AM here and you got me craving fish and chips with malted vinegar and a nice Newcastle Brown Ale!

Jorge
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Dang, it's 8:30 AM here and you got me craving fish and chips with malted vinegar and a nice Newcastle Brown Ale!

That's not as bad as the people that had me craving Salumeria all day yesterday. I'm told the Italian Hoagie w/house dressing is the way to go.

Scottie
01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
That's not as bad as the people that had me craving Salumeria all day yesterday. I'm told the Italian Hoagie w/house dressing is the way to go.

Thanks! I'll let you know how they are. I hope I'm not too full after the cheesesteaks and roast pork...

Jorge
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks! I'll let you know how they are. I hope I'm not too full after the cheesesteaks and roast pork...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2723383112_b013992d07.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/ulteriorepicure/2723383112/&usg=__AKiHp5aX6vB7IB2tYbSat8HRvas=&h=302&w=500&sz=74&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=-jZly3g9ukBckM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsalumeria%2Bphiladelphia%2Bitalian%2B hoagie%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Muzzlebrake
01-14-2010, 09:47 AM

I'm all over that, I'm in the research phase for a writing a coffee table book about Italian combo's......:biggrin:

Scottie
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm all over that, I'm in the research phase for a writing a coffee table book about Italian combo's......:biggrin:

Need to make it to Chi-town for the real Italian combo... Or get there at the right time at Lake Placid... They went pretty quick last time... :roll:

Ron_L
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM

I'd love to try Pig Daddy's if you don't mind us tagging along. I'll check with Parsley Lady. Let me know what the plan is.

Ron_L
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Need to make it to Chi-town for the real Italian combo... Or get there at the right time at Lake Placid... They went pretty quick last time... :roll:

Darn you, Scottie! I'm stuck in a video call and I'm starving! :-D

Big George's BBQ
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd love to try Pig Daddy's if you don't mind us tagging along. I'll check with Parsley Lady. Let me know what the plan is.

Ditto Here

trohrs123
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
The Reading Terminal Market at (12th and Arch Street) is a great place to start!!! In addition to the Italian combo there is DiNics roast pork as seen on Man Vs Food and Delilahs Mac and cheese and fried chicken that were featured on Bobby Flay's Throwdown. Ricks Cheesesteaks which used to be in the market has moved to Downstairs at the Bellevue in their Gourmet Food Court, 200 South Broad Street, Phila, PA 19102
(267) 519-9253
Of course there is Pat's King of Steaks and Genos Steaks ...they are across the street form each other GPS: 1219 South 9th Street Philadelphia PA
Tony Lukes also featured on M v F is at 39 East Oregon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA. 19148
Locals say Jim's steaks cant be beat at 400 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
For more cheesesteaks and Italian Hoagies you can try Campos Deli Zagat rated and voted Best of Philly Campo's Deli
214 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19106

For homemade philly style ice cream Franklin Fountain at:
The Franklin Fountain
No. 116 Market Street.
Phila. PA 19106
and finally for fresh philly pretzels...the pretzel factory at 7366 Frankford Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19136

we may have to stay a few extra days to hit all those places...:wink:

trohrs123
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
as well as Pig Daddy's!!!

Spydermike72
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Yeah, keep rubbing that in Scottie... :mrgreen: Enjoy Bro!!

Ron_L
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
The Reading Terminal Market at (12th and Arch Street) is a great place to start!!! In addition to the Italian combo there is DiNics roast pork as seen on Man Vs Food and Delilahs Mac and cheese and fried chicken that were featured on Bobby Flay's Throwdown. Ricks Cheesesteaks which used to be in the market has moved to Downstairs at the Bellevue in their Gourmet Food Court, 200 South Broad Street, Phila, PA 19102
(267) 519-9253
Of course there is Pat's King of Steaks and Genos Steaks ...they are across the street form each other GPS: 1219 South 9th Street Philadelphia PA
Tony Lukes also featured on M v F is at 39 East Oregon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA. 19148
Locals say Jim's steaks cant be beat at 400 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
For more cheesesteaks and Italian Hoagies you can try Campos Deli Zagat rated and voted Best of Philly Campo's Deli
214 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19106

For homemade philly style ice cream Franklin Fountain at:
The Franklin Fountain
No. 116 Market Street.
Phila. PA 19106
and finally for fresh philly pretzels...the pretzel factory at 7366 Frankford Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19136

we may have to stay a few extra days to hit all those places...:wink:

Thanks, Tim... What's walking distance from the hotel (keep in mind that I am a typical BBQ XL with crappy knees :-D)

Balls Casten
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
From Man v Food ....

Tony Luke's
Adam takes on Tony Luke's Ultimate Cheesesteak Challenge -- 2 1/2 lbs. of beef over 1 lb. of cheese, fried onions and a 20-inch roll.

39 E. Oregon Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19148

trohrs123
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Tim... What's walking distance from the hotel (keep in mind that I am a typical BBQ XL with crappy knees :-D)
I havent mapped out what is in walking distance, but my car will be available for those wanting to hipt up some of these places with us!!!

Ron_L
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I used google maps to look for a few places...

Pat's and Geno's are 1.2 miles
Tony Jr. is 1.5 miles
Tony Luke's is 2.2 miles.
Campo's Deli is .3 miles
Jim's Steak is .4 miles
Reading Terminal Market is 1 mile
Salumeria is 1 mile
Pig Daddy's is 8.6 miles

Ponderosa BBQ
01-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Were can I get great fish and chips! That's what I'll be searching in Philly

Balls Casten
01-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Moe, you're going to find fish & chips everywhere. Just walk into any of the pubs. I remember stumbling into a place called Rotten Ralphs and eating about 12:00 one night. Things were kind of fuzzy but I needed food.
Another one that's close to you guys is the City Tavern. This is where the "boys" met and swilled beer while writing the Declaration of Independence. It's really cool but more formal.
Just walk down the streets and you'll find good food and beer in that area. You're really gonna like your beer choices out there.

Ron_L
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Moe, you're going to find fish & chips everywhere. Just walk into any of the pubs. I remember stumbling into a place called Rotten Ralphs and eating about 12:00 one night. Things were kind of fuzzy but I needed food.
Another one that's close to you guys is the City Tavern. This is where the "boys" met and swilled beer while writing the Declaration of Independence. It's really cool but more formal.
Just walk down the streets and you'll find good food and beer in that area. You're really gonna like your beer choices out there.

We had a great lunch at City Tavern on Saturday, but no fish and chips in sight there. The food is mostly german style. Parsley Lady had Sausage Wellington (home made sausage wrapped in spinach, pancetta and puff pastry then baked and serverd with home made fettucini noodles). I had Spicy Hungarian Goulash served over think home made noodles.