PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Cape Cod BBQ Championship

Q Haven
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
The Cape Cod BBQ Championship will be held Saturday June 12th and Sunday June 13th at the Peter's Pond Campground in Sandwich, Massachusetts. The event will feature a KCBS contest Sunday and an "Anything Butt," one category grilling event Saturday, with a tentative turn in time of 6PM Saturday.

More details will be announced in the next couple of weeks, and the packet and application will be available before the end of the month.

This will be my first organizing effort, but with the support and assistance of my friends at the New England Barbecue Society I am sure this will be a great event and will hopefully bring this New England tradition back to life!

Save the date!

Meat@Slim's
01-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Ted,

This sounds great.

Just an FYI. The Rockin Ribfest in NH has listed these same dates on their website. (Although they have nothing on KCBS as of now.)

Q Haven
01-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Ted,

This sounds great.

Just an FYI. The Rockin Ribfest in NH has listed these same dates on their website. (Although they have nothing on KCBS as of now.)

Normally New Hampshire is the following weekend. I hope that is wrong because that would be a major conflict.

The Giggler
01-12-2010, 07:30 AM
WTG Ted! Best of luck with the New Comp.

goodsmokebbq
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
The Cape Cod BBQ Championship will be held Saturday June 12th and Sunday June 13th at the Peter's Pond Campground in Sandwich, Massachusetts. The event will feature a KCBS contest Sunday and an "Anything Butt," one category grilling event Saturday, with a tentative turn in time of 6PM Saturday.

More details will be announced in the next couple of weeks, and the packet and application will be available before the end of the month.

This will be my first organizing effort, but with the support and assistance of my friends at the New England Barbecue Society I am sure this will be a great event and will hopefully bring this New England tradition back to life!

Save the date!

Great to hear it! NY is here, let us know if we can help!

ique
01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Cool, we won our first ever KCBS event at Peters Pond. Is this a state championship?

Chris

BoneDaddy's
01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
The 2010 Rock ‘N Ribfest Is On The Way!

Save These Dates:

JUNE 11-13, 2010

From the Rock'n Ribfest site. I will email them to confirm

Lakeside Smoker
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I just talked to 'Pete' Peterson. That is the correct date for the Rockn' Rib Fest.

Scottie
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I just talked to 'Pete' Peterson. That is the correct date for the Rockn' Rib Fest.

Crap, well maybe I will hit NH next year... Might have to be CT this fall for me... Unless I do LP...

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Crap, well maybe I will hit NH next year... Might have to be CT this fall for me... Unless I do LP...

Which CT comp are you doing?

Scottie
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Which CT comp are you doing?

No clue. I know there were a bunch in the fall last year. Maybe I'll hit the Shore? I don't have NJ off the books either...

I need to start working on my schedule for next year. I guess I'll see if I win any freebies at the banquet...

LindaM
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Normally New Hampshire is the following weekend. I hope that is wrong because that would be a major conflict.

New Hampshire did apply for a date change and the request will be approved this weekend at the board meeting but they are requesting Friday & Sat. Sounds like a double weekend in New England

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
there are some good ones.

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
No clue. I know there were a bunch oin the fall last year. Maybe I'll hit the SHore? I don't have NJ off the books either...

I need to start working on my schedule for next year. I guess I'll see if I win any freebies at the banquet...

If you hit NJ come on down to seaside heights, I am giving fist pump lessons! I am gonna beat up the beat!

LindaM
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
No clue. I know there were a bunch in the fall last year. Maybe I'll hit the Shore? I don't have NJ off the books either...

Scottie you need to hit North Wildwood, right on the boardwalk

Scottie
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Wildwood is always the same weekend as Shannon. But M & T will be retiring soon...

Q Haven
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I plan on speaking with the people at Peter's Pond when I get home from vacation about moving the contest either a week forward or a week back. If not, the event won't happen, as I have no plans to compete with the New Hampshire event.

If it does happen, the plan is to seek a state championship proclamation.

BogsBBQ
01-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Keep us posted, Ted. Hopefully it will all work out.

LindaM
01-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Wildwood is always the same weekend as Shannon. But M & T will be retiring soon...

But its the week after Lake Placid, you could make it an East Coast run

Q Haven
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
The Cape Cod BBQ Championship is ON!!!

It will be held Friday, June 4th through Sunday, June 6th at the Peter's Pond Campground. (http://www.morganrvresorts.com/pages/peters_pond_homepage) This will be a KCBS sanctioned event, and a state championship will be applied for immediately.

For those in farther reaches of the country, here's an idea. Come, cook on Cape Cod, stay for a few extra days at the RV resort, then drive less than two hours north to Merrimack, NH for the contest the following weekend, which is an auto Jack qualifier. Peter's Pond will likely be one of two state championships in Mass.

Just a thought....

Ted

Scottie
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
But its the week after Lake Placid, you could make it an East Coast run

I've changed it slightly. I'll come out to DC the week before LP. Cook LP, then come home for the final Shannon contest put on by Mike and Theresa. Still have the Shore on my radar in September...

chopshop
01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
If you hit NJ come on down to seaside heights, I am giving fist pump lessons! I am gonna beat up the beat!

is this before or after your spray tan session. i cant miss a fist pumping class

Meat@Slim's
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Nice job!

We are looking forward to this two week stretch.

Lakeside Smoker
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
The Cape Cod BBQ Championship is ON!!!

That's great news!

lunchlady
01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Fantastic job getting this together Ted!

Peter's Pond shall rise again!

... and it looks like this year it is one of their 'themed weekends'!

Dance Fever ... heheh ... :twisted: !

We will be there!

The Giggler
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
I've changed it slightly. I'll come out to DC the week before LP. Cook LP, then come home for the final Shannon contest put on by Mike and Theresa. Still have the Shore on my radar in September...

Why not do the Groneman Family Vacation and cook Boston Hills BBQ Fest then head to Lake Placid? We'd love to have you.

Q Haven
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
The KCBS Board of Directors has approved the Cape Cod BBQ Championship. The application will be out this week. Now, the process of getting a state championship proclamation begins. I expect to make that happen soon.

Scottie
02-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Why not do the Groneman Family Vacation and cook Boston Hills BBQ Fest then head to Lake Placid? We'd love to have you.

I got the free entry at the banquet for DC.... Besides, I have heard how they dominate NY, so I found a contest in NY that Andy isn't planning on cooking....

Q Haven
02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
The KCBS Board of Directors has approved the Cape Cod BBQ Championship. The application will be out this week. Now, the process of getting a state championship proclamation begins. I expect to make that happen soon.

Meat@Slim's
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
The season is taking shape!:evil:

Q Haven
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
FYI since iQue won Harvard in September (the other Massachusetts state championship) and is automatically qualified for the Jack next year, Cape Cod will be an auto qualifier (once I get the proclamation).

ique
02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
FYI since iQue won Harvard in September (the other Massachusetts state championship) and is automatically qualified for the Jack next year, Cape Cod will be an auto qualifier (once I get the proclamation).

And you'll need 15 teams which I am sure will not be a problem. Assuming this is considered a first year contest....

Scottie
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
And I hope you have a family vacation planned!! As you've won the last 3 contests I've been with you!!! ;)

Never been to the Cape. Could you get me a keg of Harpoon for my kegerator? ;)

Although, maybe I won't have Steve's dad run for me. I couldn't figure out why the judges thought my appearance scores sucked!!! lol

So if you are gone and Steve and Brendan are distracted. Hmmmmm

Ahhh. The crap you dream about with a fresh 12 inches and have been up since 4:00, because of a damn EARTHQUAKE!

ique
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
And I hope you have a family vacation planned!! As you've won the last 3 contests I've been with you!!! ;)

Never been to the Cape. Could you get me a keg of Harpoon for my kegerator? ;)

Although, maybe I won't have Steve's dad run for me. I couldn't figure out why the judges thought my appearance scores sucked!!! lol

So if you are gone and Steve and Brendan are distracted. Hmmmmm

Ahhh. The crap you dream about with a fresh 12 inches and have been up since 4:00, because of a damn EARTHQUAKE!

I hope you are going to be in Little Rock then!

We'll have plenty of Harpoon for you, and Jack and La Fin Du Monde... have you figured out our strategy yet for how we handle out of towners? :twisted:

BogsBBQ
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Not to speak for Ted, but this is indeed considered a first year contest. It's going to be a great one!

Q Haven
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
The cooks and judges applications are posted at the new contest web site (blog).

http://capecodbbq.blogspot.com/

KCBS voted this week to approve this as a new contest. I'm hoping for at least 30 teams. Any of you who live farther away and would be interested in a longer stay at the RV resort please contact me by pm or at tedlorson@gmail.com. I'm working with the resort general manager closely and should be able to get you a reduced rate.

2 auto qualifiers within two hours of each other in a 7 day period....plus a little Cape Cod vacation in between. Sounds like a good week to me!

Scottie
02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I hope you are going to be in Little Rock then!

We'll have plenty of Harpoon for you, and Jack and La Fin Du Monde... have you figured out our strategy yet for how we handle out of towners? :twisted:

Yeah, I figured that out in Harpoon in '07, how you handle out of towners... Also figured out there are a few of you guys that can drink like fish...

Lakeside Smoker
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
2 auto qualifiers within two hours of each other in a 7 day period....plus a little Cape Cod vacation in between. Sounds like a good week to me!

That's awesome!
That is definitely something to think about for an out of area team. What do you think, Scottie? You can also cross NH of your list...

Scottie
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
That's awesome!
That is definitely something to think about for an out of area team. What do you think, Scottie? You can also cross NH of your list...

They messed me up by moving NH up a week... As I was planning on coming out this year for it. Well, my plans also changed a wee bit when I scored the DC entry and the Lake Placid entry at the banquet... So I am not even sure if I am up for that kind of driving for June!!! :eek: Although, I could probably be talked in to it for a nice cold beer and some chowdah... OK, maybe some of those little peppers you make too... OK, I guess I am easy.... :icon_smil

Lakeside Smoker
02-13-2010, 07:17 AM
...Although, I could probably be talked in to it for a nice cold beer and some chowdah... OK, maybe some of those little peppers you make too... OK, I guess I am easy.... :icon_smil

Unfortunately peppers de padron are a seasonal thing (late summer, early fall). But, if you come to the Cape, I can promise you tons of La Fin; and I'm sure we can talk Sully into making his famous lobstah cowdah again.

-Mike

Scottie
02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Hmmmmm. Do they have parking for RV's at The Red Rose? It can't be that far away. I mean, after driving 17 hours... What's a few minutes out of my way??!! ;)

gb7488
02-14-2010, 05:53 PM

BarBQ Pit, Norwalk CT, Sept 10,11&12 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78375)
norwalkbbq.com - promis you'll have a great time

greg

Q Haven
03-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Just a quick update, the RV sites are going very quickly for this contest. There are eight paid teams, and seven have reserved RV sites! While there is plenty of room at the contest, it would be helpful for my planning purposes for teams planning to get an RV site to get their application in as soon as possible.

Also, Maine Grilling Woods has pledged $200 worth of credit at their online store for the grand champions of this contest. I'm also working on trying to land other sponsors to further enhance the prize pool.

For the full team list and other information about the contest, please visit the contest web site/blog at:

http://capecodbbq.blogspot.com/

And Scottie, it's 44 miles from the contest site to the Red Rose Cafe!

Black Cat BBQ
03-16-2010, 06:39 AM
app going out in the mail today!

CBQ
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
RV's are a problem at northeast contests, most contests haven't had a lot of RV's in the past, but a lot more teams are using them now (including us). Nice to see Cape Cod hold this at an RV camp...makes it really easy.

Lakeside Smoker
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I am kind of surprised that KCBS would approve a date change to put these two contests on the same weekend, given that these two states have only have three sanctioned contests between them in the first place.

Hi Chris,

What two contest?

-Mike

Q Haven
03-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Just to clarify, Cape Cod is June 5th and 6th, while New Hampshire is scheduled for June 12-13. Two auto qualifiers within a week and an hour and a half drive of each other. The closest other contest June 5-6 is in North Carolina.

CBQ
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Chris,

What two contest?

-Mike

I realized the problem had been resolved, and edited my original post, but not before I got quoted, sorry. :redface: