PDA

View Full Version : Dickey's Barbecue Pit opening near me

trohrs123
01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey
Anybody familiar with this chain? they are opening one up in Oceanside, NY and Rockville Centre NY? Good Bad or Ugly?

MattG
01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
We have one in Athens. One word NASTY.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
We have them opening all over northern california.

My co-workers like it...the word I use to describe is "dreck."

smoke it if ya got it
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Sounds like another chilli's or famous Daves huh?

BobBrisket
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
No smoke stack or vent on top of the building letting out any sweet blue, rarely any cars parked in front, NO woodpile or stack anywhere outside the place, and no smell of Q when I drive by it.

Any Q Joint at least has all of the above. I think it will be shutting down soon. Only been opened a few months. Co-worker said it was "there."

Keep your money, buy some meat with it and make the Q yourself. You will be glad you did and the quality will be a million times better!:wink:

planoguy
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
From their website

"The original Dickey’s opened in Dallas in 1941, with a simple goal – “Serve barbecue so good people will crave it. And don’t make ‘em wait too long to get it.”

That’s still our mission today. And, the original store is still open for business.
In fact, there are Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants all over the US. But more than 60 years later, we've remained a family business because operating any other way wouldn't be true to who we are.
Our founder's sons - T.D. Dickey, Jr. and Roland Dickey – grew the business from one store to a small chain by the early 70’s. And they're still involved today.
Roland Dickey, Jr., the third generation of the family, is now President of Dickey's and with his team has doubled the size of the company in just eight years.
The family secret to success? "Our barbecue is slow cooked and served fast at every restaurant. Every day."

aztecnology
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
We have a couple in SoCal. One was decent (Rancho Cucamonga) for what it is - fast food bbq, the other was horrible (Huntington Beach)...

deguerre
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
They are conspicuously absent from the Memphis Market...

Cahusky
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
If youre dying for a brisket sandwich and don't have any other options then its OK. There sausage isn't too bad either. Its fast food and if you realize that going in you won't be too dissapointed.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
There was one in Torrance, CA in the late 1990's. After I discovered it they went out of business less than one year later. I only ate there once, their spares were undercooked. The softserve frozen custard was good. :icon_devil

trohrs123
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I watched them put the sign up today as I drove by and was just wondering if it was something to get excited about or not. Will try, not with expectations, when they open

Jbomb
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
We have one close to my house. I went once and havn't been back. It wasn't bad but was far from good. Its been in business for about a year now. I havn't really heard many people talk about it so it must not be leaving to much of an impression.

ThomEmery
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Fast Food BBQ
Cooked with a electric pit
It aint a Texas BBQ House
But The turkey is pretty darn good

nthole
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
They are hit and miss as they are independently owned. Two opened up almost simultaneously, and seemingly accidentally about a half mile each way from my house. I was surprised they'd let two...the first two in the area, open that close to each other.

Different owners. I did try them both just to see what they were like and they were quite different.

If you don't Q yourself, then people will think it's pretty good. Nothing mass marketed will ever compare to even the worst from someone here. But, it serves it's purpose, and I have a number of yellow Dickey's cups. The sausage is pretty good and they serve a rare fried okra (for these parts anyway)!

ftwthegger
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Living here in Fort Worth as a sales rep, I can't bring in Dickey's to any of my clients for lunch. Lots of local joints do better and Dickey's started here (in the metromess).

ThomEmery said is best, "fast food BBQ".

WannaBeBBQueen
01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I watched them put the sign up today as I drove by and was just wondering if it was something to get excited about or not. Will try, not with expectations, when they open
call me we'll try it with you :biggrin:

NRA4Life
01-07-2010, 06:41 AM
We had one here for about a year and then it closed several months ago. I ate there one time...that was enough for me.

Levergun
01-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Here in Plano, we have one on the east side that does not use an electric smoker...very good brisket, sausage and pulled pork. They still use a wood smoker from what i understand and do a fairly good job, about the only one we go to..... if we go out for Q.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-07-2010, 08:02 AM
They lasted less than 6 months in the Omaha market...not that there is that many good BBQ restuarants but it was that bad.

HB-BBQ
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
We have a couple in SoCal. One was decent (Rancho Cucamonga) for what it is - fast food bbq, the other was horrible (Huntington Beach)... Thanks, you saved me a trip. I have been driving by it since they opened but haven't had the guts to stop in. They are never busy either which made me wonder about them...

E Mellow
01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't waste your time

big range bbq
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
My brother-in-law likes their food . But he thinks putting a rack of ribs in a crock pot with 2 bottles of BBQ sauce and letting them "cook" is the way you should do ribs. And that prime rib is best when its well done, and no steak should ever be pink. Once was enough for me.

Professor Salt
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
The one near my house lasted less than year and shut down recently. The food was medicore to my taste. I think most folks on this forum can cook better Q than they can.

KuyasKitchen
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
You should go anyway ... try it once. Always give something a chance.

BBQ Grail
01-07-2010, 09:03 PM
You should go anyway ... try it once. Always give something a chance.

Yeah right!

n-2-que
01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
last year had 1 open in cedar rapids Iowa and one in coralville Iowa, both didn't last 6 months before they closed, they had a pretty decent smoker almost looked like southern pride or something. it was ok for out here.

bigabyte
01-07-2010, 11:14 PM
It's no worse than most restaurant food, actually among the average bbq restaurants it's pretty good. Don't expect something as good as you will make for yourself though. I would rate it a 5 out of 10 (restaurant scale, not best bbq overall scale).

Brian in So Cal
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
They opened one a couple of miles up the road from me about eight months ago. Happened to be going to taco Bell and saw it. They gave me a coupon for a free sandwich, and a plastic cup. Friend of mine said it was some of the worst bbq he ever had.

Never made it there myself and now it has closed down. Lasted about 5 months. Hey the cup works good for filling my dogs bowl!!

stan
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
The one in Round Rock TX had fried catfish and fixins that was good. The BBQ was not.

big blue bbq
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM
WE have one in the OpryMills mall here in Nashville. I tried it a couple time with different results. First time when they first opened was not bad. A couple weeks ago I was there during a seminar on break. Thought I would try some brisket since I was craving it. More like pot roast, but it was good for pot roast.