PDA

View Full Version : Poorque - Princeton WI

Brew-B-Q
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Was looking over the calendar this morning and noticed a new contest in Wisconsin. Now I certainly don't choose contests on payouts, but was wondering if this might be a typo.

$70 in Prize Money. Prize money to 5th Place

The entry is $50, plus a $30 per night camping fee, so maybe not. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this comp.

Divemaster
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I saw that too... I like the entry fee but also have questions...

Only a $50 entry fee?
Charging $30 to 'Camp' Friday night?

As for the $70 in prize money, I would hope it's a typo, but it could also be because of the new regulations requiring a letter of credit or proof of deposit for the prize money advertised...

Divemaster
01-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Actually, after reading thier web site I found this...

The purpose of the event is to promote Competition BBQ as a clean safe family sport. This is a break-even event not being used to raise funds for anything. The fees are to cover sanctioning, supplies and the token prize money of $70 and nothing else.

So maybe it is correct...

Brew-B-Q
01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
That's interesting. I like the idea, although I'm probably in the minority here. At least with this competition I have no delusions of breaking even or coming out ahead.

Scottie
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry, but that contest is a lose money situation from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I don't do it for the money, but to be able to recoup your expenases is a big part of BBQ contests. I also know the organizer, but she wants to put on something at our expense? No thank you.

Divemaster
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I to think I'll pass on it as well...

We are just now getting to a point where we aren't loosing all of the money we have invested in a comp. To take one on that even if I win GC won't cover my meat purchase is really not in the equation and on top of that it's not even a qualifier... As of right now, the next closest comp for me that weekend is over 300 miles away...

Maybe we'll take that weekend off....

Scottie
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM

We are just now getting to a point where we aren't loosing all of the money we have invested in a comp. To take one on that even if I win GC won't cover my meat purchase is really not in the equation and on top of that it's not even a qualifier... As of right now, the next closest comp for me that weekend is over 300 miles away...

I'm thinking Colorado....

Papa Hogg
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM

I think it is a qualifier, I had recieved an e-mail about this comp, but I am unavailable that weekend so I just deleted it.

Brew-B-Q
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
It's sanctioned and they have a Gov proclamation. Doesn't 15 teams make that a qualifier?

Divemaster
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I think it is a qualifier, I had recieved an e-mail about this comp, but I am unavailable that weekend so I just deleted it.
I stand corrected...

06/11/10
to
06/12/10 PoorQue (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=06&id=2174) Montello, WI
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP Contact: Anita Moore, W 5811 Bend Road, Princeton, WI 54968.
Phone: 920-420-4618. apmoore@centurytel.net (apmoore@centurytel.net)
KCBS Reps: MIKE LAKE, THERESA LAKE

I still don't know... Maybe...

mjl
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the intent of the contest was to lure newer teams to competition bbq with a lower cost contest, with the benefit of having a JD draw available to interest some more established teams. Interesting idea, but I don't think it will be on our schedule in 2010. Hard to justify not spending the extra the money for a "regular" contest and take a shot at possibly a substantial cash payout. I hope the contest achieves what the organizers have in mind, but I likely will pass.

Matt

Scottie
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree Matt. Great folks, but it's one thing for me sucking and not be worthy of getting my costs back. But if you win at this, you still are out a lot of cash... A win is not worth that much to me.

Coz
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I guess we will be one of the 6 or 8 teams there.Its to hard to pass up this 3 miles from the house.I know Anita has already recieved some entries.

Coz
01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Dive ,I wanted to address the comment about the $30 to camp friday nite.This is a campground and they are charging Anita and Tony a reduced rate of $30 per site.I think she was trying to explain the cost of the event as far as what they are charging for the entry.

Divemaster
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Dive ,I wanted to address the comment about the $30 to camp friday nite.This is a campground and they are charging Anita and Tony a reduced rate of $30 per site.I think she was trying to explain the cost of the event as far as what they are charging for the entry.

Not a problem bro, thanks for explaining it...

I agree Matt. Great folks, but it's one thing for me sucking and not be worthy of getting my costs back. But if you win at this, you still are out a lot of cash... A win is not worth that much to me.

Man, I hate to admit that Scottie may be right...

I guess if the prize money would have at least covered the entrance fee it would make it more enticing...

While I think we'll be there since it is a qualifier and since the next closest comp for us that weekend is Ottumwa, Iowa... If something opens up that weekend that is within reason distance wise, we may have to change our minds...

Divemaster
01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Before I get started on a couple of random brain farts, I want to say that I think the concept behind this comp is great. We’ve all been trying to come up with ways to get more people involved with our addiction and this, along with ‘BBQ Pitmasters’ (did I really say that out loud?) may work out great.

I guess I would have liked to have seen the prize money at least cover the entrance fee and camping charges. While I haven’t been doing the ‘comp thing’ (as my daughter calls it) all that long, I think it would be more enticing to new teams if they thought that they could at least make those fees back. For me, I know what it costs for me to just show up at a comp and can do the math for a good cause.

My other thought was that I wish that this would have been scheduled earlier in spring. I know that the weather is at best ‘Iffy’, but so is the weather for the ‘Minnesota In May’ comp. I for one would love to have an inexpensive comp early in spring to use as a practice comp. This may be something to think about for next year.

The only real question I have right now is does Anita have any guess as to the CBJ percentage? I know that it’s early and there is no way to get an exact number but at Princeton last year it was recorded at 93%. I guess I’m just trying to figure out the audience I would be cooking for.

Please pass on to Anita my thanks for trying something different.

FatBoyz
01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I would ask all of you to please think about comming to this comp...I am going I realy dont care to much about the money this is not going to cost that much to do! I think we all can do one a year that we know is not going to be a money maker. I know the pay out is not alot but the entry is not much either. we need comps to good and bad. big and small.big money and small money. It is a qualifyer. isent that what we all try for in a chanch for the draw? if we support it this year then next year it could be a big money event and that would be cool . we can chose to make this a big event or not. please to all my Wi BBQers please come to this one its our backyard we need this de forist is gone! i am not shure that menomonee falls will pull it off. i here the milw comp might not go off this year... so i think we should go to this one... I WILL BE THERE. and wont you feel like chit if the draw for the jack is this comp winner and you did not come... please to all my friends all 2 of you please come to this help Wi BBQ to grow... thanks ya'll

Stoke&Smoke
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Didn't know Deforest was gone! That sucks, We'd hoped to do that one.

Unless this economy picks up, seems like a lot of that will continue happening. We're not sure how many we can afford this year

I'd heard Marsha was looking to do one in Racine (not at the zoo) but not sure of that status either. anyone?

This one sounds like fun, but after entry, meat, gas, etc. not sure I can justify not at least being able to come close to breaking even

The_Kapn
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Well said!!!

TIM

I would ask all of you to please think about comming to this comp...I am going I realy dont care to much about the money this is not going to cost that much to do! I think we all can do one a year that we know is not going to be a money maker. I know the pay out is not alot but the entry is not much either. we need comps to good and bad. big and small.big money and small money. It is a qualifyer. isent that what we all try for in a chanch for the draw? if we support it this year then next year it could be a big money event and that would be cool . we can chose to make this a big event or not. please to all my Wi BBQers please come to this one its our backyard we need this de forist is gone! i am not shure that menomonee falls will pull it off. i here the milw comp might not go off this year... so i think we should go to this one... I WILL BE THERE. and wont you feel like chit if the draw for the jack is this comp winner and you did not come... please to all my friends all 2 of you please come to this help Wi BBQ to grow... thanks ya'll

Divemaster
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Well said!!!

TIM
No translation required!

Papa Hogg
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Dive...do 1 brisket, 1 pack of butts, 1 pack of ribs & family pack of thighs...this will cost you about $80 for the meat. Take the left overs home with you & you have a few meals.

As far as your concerned I don't think it matters if you cook 10 briskets or 1 brisket, Billy's will probably be better, so just buy the one :wink:

Divemaster
01-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Dive...do 1 brisket, 1 pack of butts, 1 pack of ribs & family pack of thighs...this will cost you about $80 for the meat. Take the left overs home with you & you have a few meals.
You actually think I eat what I serve to the judges?!?!?!?

As far as your concerned I don't think it matters if you cook 10 briskets or 1 brisket, Billy's will probably be better, so just buy the one :wink:

Ouch... That was low... Next you'll be saying the same thing about Shane's brisket....

Papa Hogg
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Ouch... That was low... Next you'll be saying the same thing about Shane's brisket....
I almost went there but I just couldn't do it :wink:

Divemaster
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM

I almost went there but I just couldn't do it :wink:
Thanks bro... I knew I could count on you... lol :lol:

Boss Hog Wild
01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Since Tony and Anita are good friends, some may say I am biased... But as an organizer, I understand the true intentions of their setting up this event. Bottom line, I think they want this to be fun, and simple, and enjoyable to everyone. I think it will be good for barbeque as a whole...

Our event up in Kingsford has a lot of things going on besides the competition that can make an organizer very old, very fast. This event is meant to be simple.... and just bbq. From a judges standpoint.. they should have a ton of them... Judges don't care about the money, they just want an event to do. And there are a lot of judges down that way looking for events to do.

I have talked to some of our local teams who don't get to do many events. They like the sound of this contest because it is another chance to get comp experience... it won't cost them a lot... and it won't be a huge cost weekend for them.

For some of the teams that are close to Montello, it will be a much easier choice as to being there or not. For teams from further away I think it will be a balance of.... the size of the pot.... or the size of the entry fee (and meat and fuel)... Either way, I think a good number of teams will show up for this event. Many of them will most likely be less experienced teams, but not all.

As an organizer I have to admire the fact that Tony and Anita are trying to think outside of the box and come up with some new ideas on how we can continue to build barbeque comps here in the midwest. It's always better when we work together to help build the positive aspects, and pleasures of Q.:grin:

Divemaster
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Since Tony and Anita are good friends, some may say I am biased... But as an organizer, I understand the true intentions of their setting up this event. Bottom line, I think they want this to be fun, and simple, and enjoyable to everyone. I think it will be good for barbeque as a whole...

Our event up in Kingsford has a lot of things going on besides the competition that can make an organizer very old, very fast. This event is meant to be simple.... and just bbq. From a judges standpoint.. they should have a ton of them... Judges don't care about the money, they just want an event to do. And there are a lot of judges down that way looking for events to do.

I have talked to some of our local teams who don't get to do many events. They like the sound of this contest because it is another chance to get comp experience... it won't cost them a lot... and it won't be a huge cost weekend for them.

For some of the teams that are close to Montello, it will be a much easier choice as to being there or not. For teams from further away I think it will be a balance of.... the size of the pot.... or the size of the entry fee (and meat and fuel)... Either way, I think a good number of teams will show up for this event. Many of them will most likely be less experienced teams, but not all.

As an organizer I have to admire the fact that Tony and Anita are trying to think outside of the box and come up with some new ideas on how we can continue to build barbeque comps here in the midwest. It's always better when we work together to help build the positive aspects, and pleasures of Q.:grin:
I agree John. I also hope that this is thought of as an opportunity to pass on not only some of the knowledge that experienced teams have but also allow them to experience the camaraderie that is normally found at most comps.

Coz
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
When I talked to Anita the other nite I think she had 8 teams already commited.

Peteg
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I know how I can cover my costs with this one. Dive, I bet you $100 Coz wins.

Coz
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldnt bet on that I know who 2 of the other teams already committed are.

mjl
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Well......I suppose a series of side bets could make up for a lack of official prize money.

Matt

Coz
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
We need some one to start doing the calcutta or side pools again.Miss those boys they were lots of fun in the middle of the nite.

Boss Hog Wild
01-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm trying to put a team together to cook.... NOW BET ON THAT ONE ! HA.

Fran will most likely be helping Anita. If I don't cook you can bet that I will be there helping her as well. For me.. Hog Wild is 10 months of work. I enjoy helping out some of the local comps where Fran and I can go and just have fun..... And we actually get to spend some time visiting with old friends..... nothing better.

Divemaster
01-08-2010, 08:05 AM

I wouldnt bet on that I know who 2 of the other teams already committed are.
I'm not going to take that be either. As much as I would like to pull this one off, I would also like to see some small new team pull it out... What's the line? Any Table on Any Weekend...

Well......I suppose a series of side bets could make up for a lack of official prize money.

Matt
I have a feeling that there are going to be more than a little bit of money transfered in this manor.... lol

2Fat
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM

well--maybe will have to get some whiskey and cigars and pull the trailer 40miles==bbq is about having fun with family and friends--this says it all!

Trainwreck
01-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Pete I will bet you $100.00 I will get drunk on apple pie if you bring it.

Coz
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM

So much for that "NEW ANDY" image :icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_ devil:icon_devil

Peteg
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm fixin to double the amount of Everclear in it this year. Just trust me, it's a "cleaner" buzz.

Trainwreck
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm fixin to double the amount of Everclear in it this year. Just trust me, it's a "cleaner" buzz.
Im Callin Bull Chit on that one. That hangover just hurts.

Smokin' Joe
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Any word on how this is coming together?

Coz
04-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Joe , last time I talked with Anita she was past the 15 teams needed for a qualifier. At Buzzs class this weekend I think there were 2 more teams there that said they were going to enter. She has a ton of CBJs signed on.

Coz
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Anita says she has 20+ and 8 are out of state teams.

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Good for her! At this point we're not cooking anywhere that weekend. i have to be in Vegas for a trade show until late Friday of that week :(

Divemaster
04-26-2010, 08:05 AM
I know that we are already signed up and in fact Ramona is breaking out her own team to try some new stuff out on the Judges!!! I guess that makes us two of the 'Out of Staters'!

Coz
04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I know that we are already signed up and in fact Ramona is breaking out her own team to try some new stuff out on the Judges!!! I guess that makes us two of the 'Out of Staters'!

When she told me a few of the teams signed up I thought that I would skip trying the new recipes. Several Michigan teams also.

The Turk
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
While I really like Tony and Anita I think this contest is not a good idea. While we don't go to contests for the money I don't think that this type of contest, just to get an invitation to the Royal or to qualify to the Jack invite, is good. Next thing you know more and more contests will lower the entry and lower the payoffs and the end result will be watered down competitiors just trying to get an easy draw.

Coz
04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
While I really like Tony and Anita I think this contest is not a good idea. While we don't go to contests for the money I don't think that this type of contest, just to get an invitation to the Royal or to qualify to the Jack invite, is good. Next thing you know more and more contests will lower the entry and lower the payoffs and the end result will be watered down competitiors just trying to get an easy draw.

That may be my friend but with the teams she has entered I dont think there will be any cakewalks at this one.

The Turk
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Your right Coz, this comtest has multiple winners in it, but it may lead to more contests popping up all over paying Nothing. I just think it sets a bad precedent (spelling)?

bbqbull
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Well I believe sponsorship is down due to economy, especially in Michigan.
It may well be the thing of the future but I am no expert for sure.

Just sayin.

2Fat
04-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Your right Coz, this comtest has multiple winners in it, but it may lead to more contests popping up all over paying Nothing. I just think it sets a bad precedent (spelling)?

along with costing nothing too--just a place to bring the granddaughter along to help cook, and hang with friends--to me its a win-win situation. But everyone goes to contests with different expectations/goals---maybe a cool ribbon or two would be nice

Brew-B-Q
04-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I guess I'm cheap, but I wish they didn't make you pay $30 to camp too. Anyways, I had planned on going to Taylorville the week before and staying home this weekend, but that may have to be flipped due to kid stuff.

Divemaster
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM

When she told me a few of the teams signed up I thought that I would skip trying the new recipes. Several Michigan teams also.
We figured that since the team is already traveling out there, and with the low entrance fee, why not try something a little new....

While I really like Tony and Anita I think this contest is not a good idea. While we don't go to contests for the money I don't think that this type of contest, just to get an invitation to the Royal or to qualify to the Jack invite, is good. Next thing you know more and more contests will lower the entry and lower the payoffs and the end result will be watered down competitors just trying to get an easy draw.

To be honest, I'm really hoping that this catches on in a limited way. Please don't get me wrong, I like taking a walk that ends with a check, but I also feel that if we are going to continue to build our 'Sport', we need to have some low cost ways to get into it. The Gov. Proc. is a way of enticing experienced teams to the comp. and I'm hoping help out the new people and keep them interested in it.

That may be my friend but with the teams she has entered I dont think there will be any cakewalks at this one.
I couldn't agree more.

Scottie
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Like a backyard or competitor series contest?

Coz
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Some how I was thinkin all the Wi contests were backyard?

Scottie
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Some how I was thinkin all the Wi contests were backyard?

I never said that. I suggested that is how some contests should be sanctioned. Especially if it's for recruiting and/or to appeal to the local cooks that don't or wouldn't normally cook a KCBS contest.

FWIW I've supported WI contests since I started competing. I'll do that again in the fall.

OtisT
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
It's official. I just sent in my entry for PoorQue. I look forward to seeing some of you again. Hopefully we won't get stuck next to an EXTREMELY noisy generator like we did at Shannon.

PeteG - after seeing your UDS's in action at shannon and with your showing at Deforest I decided to dump the crappy char-grillers and will be finishing my 2nd and 3rd UDS this weekend.

Coz
05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
It's official. I just sent in my entry for PoorQue. I look forward to seeing some of you again. Hopefully we won't get stuck next to an EXTREMELY noisy generator like we did at Shannon.

PeteG - after seeing your UDS's in action at shannon and with your showing at Deforest I decided to dump the crappy char-grillers and will be finishing my 2nd and 3rd UDS this weekend.

There really shouldnt be a need for anyone to run a generator .This is a regular campground and should be plenty of power.

Coz
05-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I guess I'm cheap, but I wish they didn't make you pay $30 to camp too. Anyways, I had planned on going to Taylorville the week before and staying home this weekend, but that may have to be flipped due to kid stuff.

The $30 for friday nite is included in the entry fee.If you want to do thursday or saturday you need to talk to the campground.I can talk to them also they are long time friends.If you need somethin let me know.

PimpSmoke
05-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I wish I could afford this one. I know, given the contest, I should be able to.

There is still gas, and meat and other stuff.

I really wish I could do it.