PDA

View Full Version : SmokeyPig has arrived!!!!

smokeypig
02-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey, Y'all....

I'm new here. Just arrived from Marietta, GA with my smoker, which, unfortunately isn't a bandera. But I love it anyway! And it is made by the same company (is it still New Braunfels or Char Broil?).

While I can't remember the exact model, I believe that it is a <something> diamond. I've learned how to use it. and my friends tell me I make the best damn BBQ butts and really fine swine they've eaten. But it ain't perfect. Hope you folks can help get me closer and closer to that perfection point. :lol:

Davewey
02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Glad to have ya.

slat
02-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Ideas flow freely here just ask and you will get answers to all your questions.

Saiko
02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Greetings neighbor! I live just up the road from you in Kennesaw.
What kind of would do you usually use? Wood fire or chips/chunks?
I have a bunch of cherry wood drying right now, and a tiny bit of apple left. We should pool our resources, since we live so close. Lemme know.

brdbbq
02-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Greetings neighbor! I live just up the road from you in Kennesaw.
What kind of would do you usually use? Wood fire or chips/chunks?
I have a bunch of cherry wood drying right now, and a tiny bit of apple left. We should pool our resources, since we live so close. Lemme know.

He even has a special Chinese recipe he will share.

BBQchef33
02-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Greetings Smokey......

You got the Black Diamond. Thats a fine smoker. I got the Hondo version, whish i believe is the same, slightly smaller. Heres what ya gotta do, Black Diamond came a few different ways. Some models have the smokestack coming out the Top pf the horizontal, I saw a new model that has it coming out of the middle of the back and going up. If yours has it at the top, and the smoke is being drawn from the very top of the chamber, you need to extend the stack to grate level(or lower). A quick easy mod is to get yourself a piece of aluminum flashing or a large soup can(52oz chicken broth type). Slice the can lenght wise twice, cutting about an inch of it out, or get about a foot of flashing. Coil it up so it fits inside the smokestack(inside the chamber). Put it in and release it, it should spring open and friction fit the stack, then adjust it so the bottom of the smokestack is at grate level. This will even out temps at the grate level instead of letting heat rise across the top and straight out the chamber.

There is a baffle/ tuning plate design that will tame that hot spot next to the firebox a little. Its in our mods section too, let me know if ya need help with it.

Welcome to the Group!!!!

smokeypig
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Greetings Smokey......

You got the Black Diamond. Thats a fine smoker. I got the Hondo version, whish i believe is the same, slightly smaller. Heres what ya gotta do, Black Diamond came a few different ways.

I do love my smoker....!

Some models have the smokestack coming out the Top pf the horizontal,

This is the one I have. The stack is on the far right side and comes down to about 4-5 inches above the grate. I've got some leftover flashing from another project (a failed roofing fix :x - a long story for another day and only after a few JDs on the rox ....). I'll give this a try and see what happens.

There is a baffle/ tuning plate design that will tame that hot spot next to the firebox a little. Its in our mods section too, let me know if ya need help with it.

I learned the hard way where NOT to put food in the smoke chamber. Maybe I'll give this mod a go. Thanx for the tip!

Welcome to the Group!!!!

Truly happy to be here :lol:

parrothead
02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Truly happy to be here

Happy to have you hear. And don't call me Truly

smokeypig
02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Truly happy to be here

Happy to have you hear. And don't call me TrulyNever again...

It won't happen. Ever. Sorry.

:mrgreen:

chad
02-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Welcome! I too use a version of the New Braunfels BD/Hondo/etc. horizontal smoker. Getting used to it after the ECB.

I like it especially after the small space with the ECB.

BBQchef33
02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Another important thing top do. Put an aluminum pan full of water on the grate, right next to the opening into the firebox. It will act like a heat sink/damper and tame that hot spot. Stop it from searing one side of the food.

chad
02-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks Phil - I forgot to talk about the water pan. I did the baffle mod and charcoal basket mod on my cooker. Didn't need to mess with the chimney since my model has the chimney on the end of the cooker opposite the firebox and level with the cooking grid.

Solidkick
02-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I can see you are going to fit right in here....Truly....

Welcome aboard....Sincerely.....or was that Truly...... :lol:

Mr. Kick

Solidkick
02-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Damn DF, you ever gonna cook in that thing, or just keep it clean and admire it!
I WANNA SEE SOME BUTTS IN IT! :twisted:

chad
02-05-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't take pics everytime I cook in it :D It was used this past weekend for ribs
and has done a couple of pork butts, too.

Solidkick
02-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I don't take pics everytime I cook in it :D It was used this past weekend for ribs

Oh, I know, was just wanting to get a reaction from one of the "Godfathers"of the site. I have the utmost respect for yours, Wayne's, and Al's opinions. Maybe in May, when I get my AARP card, I'll grow up a little. LOL

BigAl
02-05-2004, 07:21 PM

Oh, I know, was just wanting to get a reaction from one of the "Godfathers"of the site. I have the utmost respect for yours, Wayne's, and Al's opinions. Maybe in May, when I get my AARP card, I'll grow up a little. LOL

Everyone loves a little $ss, not a smart $ss....these are not opinions, just hard learned experiences at a high cost, passed on to those willing to listen....GOD, I love this site :D :P :shock: :lol:

chad
02-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Nope, you don't grow up with the AARP card -- you just get crafty and become a "Godfather" :D
"Godfather" sheesh -- I'm not even in these other guys class!

This group is really unique in that it's not just about 'que or grilling or anyother specific theme -- sure we make the effort to keep things cleaned up but it really is like a backyard with lots of activity areas :D Our focus is barbeque but we don't necessarily get our knickers in a knot when we slide that slippery slope to a snot storm or a bit of tripe :mrgreen: ((Notice how I say that after being involved in a couple of monumental flame wars :D))

One thing I've found is that the cooking tips and techniques cross over from one style to another. I cook pork loin in commercial ovens for large groups and do them like "we" do in the smoker. In other words I do the 250 oven thing until internal is 160, wrap the loins in foild, take 'em to 195 then toss 'em in the cooler to cool and wait until time to slice. You won't find that in the FoodNetworks cookbook, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay, etc. :D

Bill-Chicago
02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Welcome Smokey Pig.

You've joined a great group.