PDA

View Full Version : Flying to a comp and need to get some equipment there

Capt ron
01-03-2010, 08:05 AM
First off, Happy New year to all. Question is: How do I get some kitchen equipment to a comp if I am flying to the comp? I want to take me usual cooking utensil (knives, temp probes etc) and other accessories but don't want them lost or confiscated. Everything will be in a tool box... How do I go about get it there without having any issues???

Thanks... Have a safe and prosperous 2010!!!:-P

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2010, 08:44 AM
First off, Happy New year to all. Question is: How do I get some kitchen equipment to a comp if I am flying to the comp? I want to take me usual cooking utensil (knives, temp probes etc) and other accessories but don't want them lost or confiscated. Everything will be in a tool box... How do I go about get it there without having any issues???

Thanks... Have a safe and prosperous 2010!!!:-P

Last year I flew to a contest in Arizona, I had a cooker being supplied by a local cook ( thanks again Thom) , I packed a box with supplies in it and shipped it UPS 2 weeks earlier to him, he brought it to the site. I got with the air lines and read there rules of carry ons and pre trimmed and packed my briskets, ribs, and chicken. I carried them on and bought butts when I was there. Hope this helps.

BBQchef33
01-03-2010, 08:53 AM
why not just check it in with the luggage? You can transport those things in cargo, and pick it up at baggage claim.

ThomEmery
01-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Because he shipped about 200 pounds of stuff

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM

HA HA! Might not have been 200 pounds but it might have made a difference on your gas milage.

Scottie
01-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I've done it a couple of times. I pack stuff in empty coolers or my luggage. I'll also take my meats in a cooler. I've even brought parsley, because we fly Southwest and can bring extra bags/coolers. You can also pay them $25 for an extra bag. Which is cheaper than using UPS. Plus I get an extra cooler. When shipping your knives, just plan on seeing one of those TSA letters in your luggage, because they opened it.

smknwhlswife
01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
With our trips to NY this year, we checked them twice and shipped them once. In the future we will most likely ship them. We did like that they searched our bags, you never know what might end up missing. We used UPS and shipped it to another team that made sure we would get it.

smknwhlswife
01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I've done it a couple of times. I pack stuff in empty coolers or my luggage. I'll also take my meats in a cooler. I've even brought parsley, because we fly Southwest and can bring extra bags/coolers. You can also pay them $25 for an extra bag. Which is cheaper than using UPS. Plus I get an extra cooler. When shipping your knives, just plan on seeing one of those TSA letters in your luggage, because they opened it.

UPS was actually cheeper for us than checking a bag.:biggrin:

Diva Q
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I pack my tool box and my knife roll in my hockey bag- never had a problem yet.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Capt.

You talking about Little Rock? If so, I can probably find room for a couple items as we are driving. If not Little Rock, never mind....

G$
01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I love how Thom is a "local" to a contest that he lives 250 miles from.
Hardest workin' man in BBQ, :-D.

kurtsara
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM

I think he is saying that to the original poster

Candy Sue
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
If it is NLR, Capt'n Ron, you can use my trailer if you want. I'm not cooking it (going to be a judge!). It even has a coffee pot!

swamprb
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I pack my tool box and my knife roll in my hockey bag- never had a problem yet.

Hockey bags will get the red flags flyin' on the West Coast-BC Bud!

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
If it is NLR, Capt'n Ron, you can use my trailer if you want. I'm not cooking it (going to be a judge!). It even has a coffee pot!

Hey what about us. Just leave your pork instructions on the wall.:-D

getyourrubonbbq
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Have you considered shipping your items to a UPS store close to where you'll be? They'll hold it for a couple of days and you could just stop in and grab it.

Candy Sue
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM

It's all OK Mr. Butcher...your injection, Head Country everything plus a bit of Arkansas honey. Like you really need my recipe...:lol:

Jorge
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

They sell Ketchup, salt, and pepper in Arkansas.

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
They sell Ketchup, salt, and pepper in Arkansas.

Hey thats my line, oh I get it you just thew a slam my way:eek:

Mrs. Candy you know I need your help.

Candy Sue
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey thats my line, oh I get it you just thew a slam my way:eek:

Mrs. Candy you know I need your help.

Dammit! You done insulted me now...all my Exes live in Texas, I just ain't quite made it to Tennessee yet. You should know there's a reason why I'm cooking solo...

HoDeDo
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
No insults from ME Candy :o)
BTW,
I need all the help I can get from you and David!!!!

Capt ron
01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Thanks Dan but I am going to MIM to cook with Tucker Cookers. Hope you have a safe and wonderful 2010...

Capt ron
01-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Thanks Candy Sue... It's MIM... but would like to what is in a Arkansas Injection that has Butcher wanting you to post it on the wall of the trailer...

Capt ron
01-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks everyone... Got somethings to think about on how I might want to do it...

ique
01-04-2010, 06:43 AM
These work great if you are checking comp meats onto a flight:

http://www.coolerstores.com/soft-coolers-soft-side-48-1315-prd1.htm

Diva Q
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Here is a pic of the stuff I took to Saskatoon last year for a comp.

1 soft sided cooker
1 hockey bag
Total -85lbs

I carried on my laptop and purse.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/Diva_Q/Airportstuff.jpg

dmprantz
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
As far as meat goes, last year MIM had shopping list forms so that you could order your meat and other supplies (From Sam's Club I think) and they would deliver it to you on site. It was also a muddy mess down there.

dmp

Candy Sue
01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
No insults from ME Candy :o)
BTW,
I need all the help I can get from you and David!!!!

I think you don't need any help, for sure not mine! That Plowboy fella is the pork king! My only 1st place finishes in 2009 were in Dessert, which is better than none at all, but it's the first comp. year that I've not had a single one in the main 4. Gives me something to strive for in 2010!

Candy Sue
01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Candy Sue... It's MIM... but would like to what is in a Arkansas Injection that has Butcher wanting you to post it on the wall of the trailer...

I think he wanted more than that. I use his injection in pork...

Plowboy
01-04-2010, 10:10 AM

I call dibs on the Pellet Fired Jambo!

ique
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I call dibs on the Pellet Fired Jambo!

Already reserved :-D

Candy Sue
01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Reserved without the pellet fire part!

Scottie
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Reserved without the pellet fire part!

A true pitmaster would learn to cook on the equipment that he has.... :icon_shy

OK, back to reality... Wish I could find a FEC-100 that I could borrow, that was loaded up with a whole bunch of BBQr's Delight hickory pellets... I sure would love to cook NLR, but am not sure if I will have my RV or not.... :roll:

musicmanryann
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Scottie I may be able to bring down one of mine for you. We are driving and I think I am only going to use one for comps.

Scottie
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Scottie I may be able to bring down one of mine for you. We are driving and I think I am only going to use one for comps.

Well, I've actually cooked on one of those... :roll:

I still don't know what my schedule is like Ryan. Thanks for the offer and I will get back to you!

Thanks

Candy Sue
01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Scottie, you know I have 2 FEC's you are more than welcome to use...in fact you can use the trailer too if you want, it'll be there quite probably. More pellets that you can use. Right now there's also a MAK Grill and a Primo XL oval on the trailer too. Tables, chairs all that stuff. I'm Judging!!!

There's a heater in the trailer too...

Scottie
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I thought you were kidding Candy that you were judging... Well, I might have to start preparing my 2010 calendar!!! Before that Butcher guy tries to move in!!! :twisted:

I'll be in touch.

Butcher BBQ
01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought you were kidding Candy that you were judging... Well, I might have to start preparing my 2010 calendar!!! Before that Butcher guy tries to move in!!! :twisted:

I'll be in touch.

That sounds like a line has been drawn in the sand. :-D

If you want to come and cook this contest, I would supply you the same pork recipe that Candy was going to give me. Then I will use her Fec's and save me from pulling my trailer.:cool:

ThomEmery
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I love how Thom is a "local" to a contest that he lives 250 miles from.
Hardest workin' man in BBQ, :-D.

250 miles of nothin
When Blythe is the only city you pass through you aint doin nothin but driving 80

ThomEmery
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
My new teammate is only available in the Summer so
I am a lookin for the Fall and the Spring events

Candy Sue
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
That sounds like a line has been drawn in the sand. :-D

If you want to come and cook this contest, I would supply you the same pork recipe that Candy was going to give me. Then I will use her Fec's and save me from pulling my trailer.:cool:

This is too funny! I know...I'll loan out all my stuff, change my mind and cook on the pellet WSM! I really am judging this contest, just because I've got 2 long commitments right before and right after and I know it wouldn't get my best. Besides, the best way to get a good look at other teams' entries is to judge. I figure the food in LR should be right on up there.

Plowboy
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
My new teammate is only available in the Summer so
I am a lookin for the Fall and the Spring events

Thom, I may need a teammate for the GAB Invitational and World Brisket Open. Wanna come to Kansas City the third week of May? I owe you one.

Randy will be there for the Open.

ThomEmery
01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Thom, I may need a teammate for the GAB Invitational and World Brisket Open. Wanna come to Kansas City the third week of May? I owe you one.

Randy will be there for the Open.

That would be fun
Let look at the calendar

dmprantz
01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Man, all these FECs being offered around here! If some one only plans to compete with one or wants to use a pellet fired Jambo in stead of FECs, drop me a line, and I'll help you free up some trailer space.

dmp

Capt ron
02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the input... Taking everyone's advice and tips this is what I came up with. It will fit nicely in my luggage that will go in the bottom of the plane... Thanks again... Come on May!!! :-P

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/worbs2/BBQ%20Tools%20and%20Acessories/TravelKnifeSet.jpg

G$
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Capt, those knives are so small, I think they are legal to carry on. Oh, that's just a tiny picture, I get it now. :-P

Capt ron
02-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Got to admit that those knives are small I think they were the set Tom Thumb owned!!! LOL :-P Well here's a larger one me thinks...http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/worbs2/TravelKnifeSet2.jpg