PDA

View Full Version : Meat inspections

Contracted Cookers
01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Was wondering if at a comp. if you have cryovacked meat but the sell by date is past. Can the rep or inspector D.Q. your meat .I have a frig just for comps and catering buy most well before hand.

Alexa RnQ
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to make that stick, in light of people using meat frozen in cryo?

CivilWarBBQ
01-02-2010, 02:18 AM
It would depend on the sanctioning body and/or the organizer.

KCBS meat inspection guidelines to not include date checking.

TN_BBQ
01-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Wouldn't it be hard to make that stick, in light of people using meat frozen in cryo?

My thoughts, too.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-02-2010, 08:39 AM
since I buy my meat by the case, they dont have a sale by date. I would have to carry the box flap that has the kill date on it and go from there.

Coz
01-02-2010, 08:41 AM
We have only competed in 7 KCBS contests but have never even had the inspectors look at the label on a package of meat.Most have looked to see that the meat had nothing more then trimming done if they were not in cryo packs.We had 2 inspectors check temp with non contact therms otherwise they have just looked to see that they were in ice.

Divemaster
01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
since I buy my meat by the case, they dont have a sale by date. I would have to carry the box flap that has the kill date on it and go from there.
Same here, and to make it tougher, I do all the trimming at home, cryo-suck it, and then freeze it...