PDA

View Full Version : rental with a hitch

chopshop
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
i want to fly into atlanta and rent a truck to tow my trailer back to nj. i was wondering if anybody knows of a rental company that would allow me to tow a trailer with their truck

MilitantSquatter
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
It's been almot twelve years, but I used to work for Enterprise while I was in college for a few years. At that time, they nor any of the other national car rental agencies knowingly allowed their vehicles to be used with a hitch due to liability issues. At the time, I don't even remember the SUV's even being set up with the receiver/hitch.

Also, even if one did allow it, you'd need to be sure that the heights and ball sizes were compatible.

Is probably worth a few phone calls direct.

BBQ Bandit
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Check with U-haul... one-way options... do have hitches... like Vinny stated... an "authorized" trailer may or may not be worth a second thought.

E Mellow
12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
U-Haul or possibly Ryder are your two best bets. I was in a similar situation awhile back and it ended up being the same cost and a lot less of a headache to drive down and pick up rather than flying. I guess with it being a trailer delivery is not an option.

chopshop
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
ive gotta drive down 2 hours past atlanta to pick up the trailer then 1 hour north of atlanta to have my smoker mounted on the back of the trailer. 36 hours of driving with my brother in law has no price tag on it. i would love to try and convince him into going himself but thats not gonna happen. if i could fly down rent a truck pick up the trailer head up to stumps and be on my way home it'll prob save me about 14-15 hours and keep me outta the car with the outlaw for a day. thanks guys i'll try uhaul

cds9333
12-28-2009, 11:02 PM
From what I have read (may be wrong), U-haul only rents their pickup for in town rentals. You might have to rent the smallest moving truck. I would also like to throw out penske for renting small moving truck. I found their prices cheaper than u-haul when I had to move last (26' truck vs. u-hauls 24' truck for $100 less, and unlimited miles and a diesel engine)

Crazy Harry
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
most u-haul trucks have a means of towing a trailer.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-29-2009, 08:04 AM
I will drive my truck down, and fly back, you fly down with alan and ppick up my truck and drive back!

Desert Dweller
12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I will drive my truck down, and fly back, you fly down with alan and ppick up my truck and drive back!

Generous offer, and granted, none of my business, but; I can't think of a more expensive way of doing it. Three one way tickets, round trip fuel, food and road expenses. Then you gotta add the man hours... Again, none of my business, just rambling thoughts of a passer-by.:icon_shy

chopshop
12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Generous offer, and granted, none of my business, but; I can't think of a more expensive way of doing it. Three one way tickets, round trip fuel, food and road expenses. Then you gotta add the man hours... Again, none of my business, just rambling thoughts of a passer-by.:icon_shy

its got nothing to do with the money....matt knows my brother in law and understands where i coming from. hey matt you need to get away from the wife and kids for a few days? i know i do just not with my wifes brother

blues_n_cues
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
most u-haul trucks have a means of towing a trailer.

uhaul wouldn't cover anything but a u-haul car dolly.
i haven't found anyone else either. researched this a few months ago.

chopshop
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
im gonna wind up picking this thing up. im also waiting for the guy to call me back with prices on having it delivered

TN_BBQ
12-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Round trip ticket to Georgia (airline can't make you take the return flight home)
Buy used truck
Haul cooker
Sell truck (probably for same price you paid...good used trucks don't depreciate all too much).

And...NO, I wouldn't have much of an issue with the risk of driving a used truck.

D0ughB0y
12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Why do you need to bring your brother in law?