View Full Version : It's almost time to vote

12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I've known Jeff Stith for several years now. Early on there was a period of time where we didn't see eye to eye and had some issues. Today he is a friend and as a result he has my vote for several reasons.

One of those reasons is that he handled those issues that we had and we were able to move on and develop a friendship that I value. Because of that experience I know that he is able to move past personal issues and take care of the important business that will come before the BoD.

Another reason is that Jeff has made it clear that he wants the job. He's done more than toss his name into the hat. He's gone out of his way to make his thoughts known on the issues. As a result I have a much better idea of what I'm getting in return for my vote. I appreciate the passion he has for BBQ and have no doubt that he will do his best to serve KCBS, and more importantly the membership, well.

As a candidate he has cooked, judged, and organized a contest that has been well received and appreciated. That sort of balance and experience is valuable, and something that I think KCBS can benefit from.

I'm not giving Jeff my vote, or support. He's earned it. I'd urge you all to take a look at his website to see where he stands on the issues and make up your own minds. http://votejeffkcbs.com (http://votejeffkcbs.com/)

12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Jeff will have my vote.

12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Jeff has my support....Heck, I nominated the guy! :biggrin:

A question I asked on another forum: If I HAD to vote for 4 people....the answer is no. Anyone voting is entitled to vote for UP to four people.

12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I hope that every member will read the election questionnaire online (in the news section) or in the Bullsheet. I encourage you to e-mail candidates and ask hard questions.

KCBS uses e-voting. If your e-mail has changed, please be certain to advise KCBS. Remember you may ask for a paper ballot as well.

But most of all I encourage all members of KCBS to vote!
Merl Whitebook
Nominations committee.

12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
George, thanks for taking the time to post this.
I would have to agree 100% that Jeff has earned my vote.
He was already a friend; our kids play together, we have cooked together - and while I enjoy busting his chops as often as humanly possible... (an calling him out on occasion) He does take everything in stride, and works through to the next issue.

I feel like he can take our input and his ideas and put them to work. I may not agree with him on all topics, but I do feel he has our best interests in mind, and will work tirelessly to that end.

<start dig here> Now if he would just publicly admit that his cooker is TEAL (NTTAWWT) and not "forest green", I might actually respect him too.<end Dig> We all know it is, based on the pole results ...:twisted:

Vote Jeff Stith, for KCBS BoD!!!

12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
My recommendations are...

Jeff Stith - Yes.
Paul Kirk - No.

Diva Q
12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
We will be voting for Jeff as well.

Bbq Bubba
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I joined JUST so I could vote for Jeff!

12-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Depends what your join date was.

12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmmm, I am still undecided... :mrgreen:

Seriously I am voting for Jeff as well. Heck I bought him lunch the day after Thanksgiving, I would not have done that if I didn't think he would be the right person for my vote.

12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't know Jeff but respect the opinion of several who have stated they are supporting him. My desire is to elect board members who will challenge the status quo and not simply vote yes. Is this Jeff?

Bbq Bubba
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Depends what your join date was.

I joined shortly after meeting him at the Jack! :wink:

12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
One vote here for Jeff.

Candy Sue
12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't know Jeff, but he has one of my votes. I commend him for taking the time and energy to develop his web site and clearly stating his positions. I agree with most of them. If there can only be one new person on the board this year, I hope Jeff gets that seat.

12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
2 votes from Louisiana are on the way for Jeff.

12-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I joined shortly after meeting him at the Jack! :wink:

Sorry, I don't know why I comprehended that as "I just joined, can I vote?" when I read it earlier today.

12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
VOTE FOR JEFF!! :wink: :eusa_clap.............You will be glad you did for what he can do for us as cooks! :wink:

12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Jeff's got my vote!

I don't know Jeff but respect the opinion of several who have stated they are supporting him. My desire is to elect board members who will challenge the status quo and not simply vote yes. Is this Jeff?
In answer to your question, yes.

12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
He's got my vote.

12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I hope that every member will read the election questionnaire online (in the news section) or in the Bullsheet. I encourage you to e-mail candidates and ask hard questions.

KCBS uses e-voting. If your e-mail has changed, please be certain to advise KCBS. Remember you may ask for a paper ballot as well.

But most of all I encourage all members of KCBS to vote!
Merl Whitebook
Nominations committee.
When do the email ballots go out?

Big George's BBQ
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
You can send an E Mail here to check on ability to vote

JD McGee
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Jeff has my vote as well. :-P I'm all about moving things forward in the best light possible. :cool:

2010 KCBS Election Questionnaire... http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=198

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.

My experiences:
&#183; For the past five years, I have served on the Parks and Recreation Board of Directors in my hometown of Pleasant Hill, Missouri. I have served as secretary, vice-president, and for the last year, as president.
&#183; Founded and served as president of an historical preservation non-profit organization to protect and preserve artifacts and buildings of historic significance in Pattonsburg, Missouri.
&#183; In my career, I have over 20 years of combined experience in management, marketing, Web design and human resources which would be beneficial in promoting and leading the KCBS through this very important time of growth and development.
My skills acquired through these experiences:
&#183; Ability to motivate people
&#183; Tenacity to see projects through to successful completion
&#183; Ability to work as part of a team to accomplish missions and goals
&#183; Outstanding organizational skills
How these skills will benefit KCBS and its members:
&#183; As KCBS grows and moves into the future, we must keep up with the needs of our membership by constantly seeking out new ideas to promote barbeque and the organization itself. Successful completion and implementation of projects can only happen when leadership works together with a common goal. I see myself as a leader who can motivate others when things “bog down” and encourage committees and the board remain focused. My organizational skills will enable me to make the best use of my time when serving our members. These skills will be especially important as I work with my assigned committee, which I see as the level where the real work is accomplished.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
As a cook, the major issue I see facing this section of membership is a general concern that the KCBS does not listen to the cooks. This problem seems to consist of various concerns, all working together to help erode the confidence and faith our members have in the organization, with many choosing not to renew memberships. One of the major components of this problem would be rules being changed or discussed in mid-season. How can cooks keep everything straight when the rules are being rewritten as we’re firing up the smoker at contests? Rules changes should only be considered during what most of us would consider the off-season and I would propose all changes be given more than a few months before being implemented. For instance rule changes may be brought forth at the January rules meeting, be voted on and passed in February or March but the implementation date should always be January 1 the following year.
Another component of this problem would be the specific issues that are being addressed by the Board of Directors. In looking at many of the decisions made, it appears that the Board is getting way too involved in the day to day operations of the KCBS rather than looking to address the issues that will make the KCBS successful well into the future. My strategy to address and improve this issue will be to call upon my own five years of experience in cooking competitively and to actively seek out the opinions and concerns of my fellow cooks all across the United States, not just here in the Midwest. I will use this information and keep it at the forefront of my mind each time I enter the board room to discuss, and vote on issues that affect my fellow cooks. I do not anticipate that it will be an easy road as there are board members who do not cook or rarely cook and might have gotten out of touch with what we have and what we need from week to week. Continually bringing the wishes and opinions of those who cook to the attention of the Board will remain a priority.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
Short-Term - Help to restore harmony, respect and cooperation to the organization. This begins at the Board level. Bickering and disrespect of one another leads to a lack of productive meetings, few results, micro-management and a membership that is frustrated and disgusted. I believe a voice of reason in reminding others of why KCBS was founded in the first place is important.
Long-Term - Four long-term goals are of major importance to me.
1. Continued work to provide more consistent judging. Comment cards have, as currently used, proven largely pointless. It is always going to be subjective scoring but establishing a continuing education program for CBJs will help. Too many "generations" of CBJs are learning things in different ways. It hurts consistency and we need to require refresher classes.
2. Developing new scoring software. I have visited with reps and have seen how the current software works and where the bugs and other negative issues are. I have also discussed with a professional programmer how we might develop and implement new software that will be user-friendly and developed at minimal to no cost to KCBS.
3. Communication with membership. Improvements have been made in this area but there is still work to be done. Members should eventually have access to all meetings and not on a limited basis at it as it is now. They should also have access to budgets and financial records to see where their money is going and have opportunities to provide opinions and feedback to the Board of Directors. I, too, would support the implementation of Town Hall meetings to give members a direct voice to Board members.
4. Tangible and quality benefits to being a KCBS member – hotels discounts are everywhere. We can do better. The Restaurant Depot benefit is a great start! I believe we need to establish a scholarship fund for members and their families. We need to find a way to pay cash to the KCBS’s top ten Teams of the Year in all categories and overall. We need to get creative and come up with many good ideas.
4. If elected please explain “you level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.
Whenever I decide to become involved in anything, I believe in full commitment. As the saying goes, anything worth doing is worth doing right. When I began my campaign, my promise was to be available to membership, to listen to their concerns and to represent their concerns at meetings of the Board of Directors. That has not changed and will not change. I will attend meetings of the board regularly and in person. My record in this area is impeccable: in my 5+ years of service on the local Parks and Recreation Board of Directors, I have missed only one meeting when I had to be out of town. While some committees have busier times of the year than do others, I will work hard to minimize or eliminate the instance of "no report" following my committee name.
5. Please describe your participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.
I have been cooking barbeque and learning all types of outdoor cooking since I was a child. I joined KCBS and began cooking competitively in 2005 when I formed Big Creek BBQ. We cook 10 to 15 contests per year. In 2006 I became a CBJ and I judge one or two events per year. I'm currently working on my third year as organizer of "Smokin’ on Big Creek" BBQ Contest in Pleasant Hill, Missouri and for the last two years, I have worked on the committee for The Fountains Blaze-Off and Senior Q in Independence, Missouri as part of Senior Q Month in October. I have also donated my time to Kookers Kare, attended KCBS rules meetings, banquets and organizer round tables. I have also realized my responsibility as a KCBS member and voted in every election since joining the organization.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
I believe the saying "You can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution." This is a very critical time in the history of the KCBS and as such, there many important issues to be resolved. As a member of the Board of Directors, I will have the opportunity to be a part of the solutions. Talking is cheap - by volunteering my time to listen to members and truly represent them on the Board, I will have the opportunity to walk the walk and make a difference. I know too many people who don't want to renew their KCBS membership for various reasons - I want to help make it so that people are proud to say they are a member of KCBS. For further information, please visit my Web site at www.VoteJeffKCBS.com.

12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Thank you everyone :-D Sounds like he is the type of board member we need!

12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Jeff is our Man!!!

12-30-2009, 02:44 AM
VOTE FOR JEFF!! :wink: :eusa_clap.............You will be glad you did for what he can do for us as cooks! :wink:

Already planned to. :icon_cool

12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I remember last year that my eballot email got caught up in my SPAM filter, so if it's not in your Inbox after you others talking about it - give that a check.

12-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Dawn said the ballots go out Jan 2nd

Captain Caveman
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
The Caveman clan will be voting for Jeff, and Candy Sue.

01-02-2010, 10:28 AM

I truely believe Jeff has our best interests at heart. I have cooked and spent many days and hours with him and his family, for this reason I believe he can best represent the members of kcbs. He has the experience and the devotion we need, Jeff goes all out when he believes in something that is important and the future of kcbs is important. So make sure you get your vote in asap. Good luck Jeff.

01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Got my email notification with user id and password this morning.
I believe the deadline for voting is January 16.

01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Voted for Jeff, Linda, Candy and Barb
All four for different reasons will bring good things to the BoD

01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm still waiting for my envelope of cash to help me decide who to vote for :biggrin:

01-02-2010, 02:37 PM

I rejoined at the Royal so I could vote for folks who had time to listen to my thoughts and concerns.

If it werent for a couple quality candidates I wouldn't have renewed my membership.

01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I voted for Mike Lake and Candy. I know these two people, and don't really know the rest. I decided to just vote for the two people I know well, and I know they have the best intentions, and I know they will do what is best for BBQ.

01-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Two Bits
Four Bits
Six Bits - a dollar

Everyone for Jeff
Stand up and Hollar :-P

We had a chance to speak with Jeff at the Royal about KCBS issues. His passion and commitment for the board position came out loud and clear.

He's got mine and Walt's vote.