PDA

View Full Version : Here is a true BBQ Masterís question:

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
How do you keep Low and Slow (225í) Chicken skin from ending up rubbery when turned in to Judges?

MilitantSquatter
12-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Scaping the fat on the underside of the skin and softening the skin in a liquid (sauce/butter etc.) are probably the most often used if not cooking at higher temps or grilling for all or part of the cook.

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Not possible.

YMMV :)

monty3777
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Not possible.

YMMV :)

I'm with him!

The_Kapn
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Do you WANT to cook chicken at 225, or NEED to cook at that temp?

Chicken is lean and cooks best at higher temps.
I cook at 300 plus a few most of the time and it works great.

If you MUST cook that low, you will just need to accept a certain level of chewiness in the skin.
Vinnies advice is about as close as you will get to good skin.

Just a thought.

TIM

Ford
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think any of the current BBQ "masters" cook chicken at that low a temp but I could be wrong. At 225 the skin will always be rubbery. The magic number is higher.

Tiki Wolf
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think any of the current BBQ "masters" cook chicken at that low a temp but I could be wrong. At 225 the skin will always be rubbery. The magic number is higher.

I disagree. My most consistantly scoring category is chicken. I always cook it at 225, and my skin is almost always bite through. Although I did have one occasion this year where it was not, but it still placed.

This Is How We Que It
12-24-2009, 04:55 PM
"It puts the lotion on the skin."

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
No pics, didn't happen. I disagree. My most consistantly scoring category is chicken. I always cook it at 225, and my skin is almost always bite through. Although I did have one occasion this year where it was not, but it still placed.

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I disagree. My most consistantly scoring category is chicken. I always cook it at 225, and my skin is almost always bite through. Although I did have one occasion this year where it was not, but it still placed.

Keith - Do you want to answer the Master's question of how you obtained non-rubbery skin at a 225' cook?:eusa_clap

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
"It puts the lotion on the skin."

What kind of lotion?

KC_Bobby
12-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Keith - Do you want to answer the Master's question of how you obtained non-rubbery skin at a 225' cook?:eusa_clap

I think Ford provided the answer. Why not just pack a kettle or WSM on the Lang?

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Ford provided the answer. Why not just pack a kettle or WSM on the Lang?

That it can't be done .... wrong, it can be done. If you don't know, just say so.

BTW Lang 84 Longneck has a grill on it i.e. Longneck.

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2009, 07:45 PM
That it can't be done .... wrong, it can be done. If you don't know, just say so.

BTW Lang 84 Longneck has a grill on it i.e. Longneck.

Thought you were asking for advice.

Now it sounds like your quizzing us. Which is it and if you know, why are you asking?

KC_Bobby
12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I know, I can't help but to wonder with all these questions this past week their's other agenda or if those questioning are just having fun.

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Thought you were asking for advice.

Now it sounds like your quizzing us. Which is it and if you know, why are you asking?

Yes I can answer, can you?

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes I can answer, can you?

Already did.

Your turn.

BigJimsBBQ
12-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Already did.

Your turn.

Mayo slather ...

BTW - You answered nothing as I figured. Hope this helps you.

Smokin Mike
12-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Mayo slather ...

BTW - You answered nothing as I figured. Hope this helps you.

BTW- great way to piss everyone off!

:eusa_clapbrovo!:eusa_clap

BigJimsBBQ
12-25-2009, 03:40 AM
BTW- great way to piss everyone off!

:eusa_clapbrovo!:eusa_clap

Mike - No offense was intended. I simply thought knowledge transfer with fellow Brethren would be a good thing. This string started with a question that I believe would help fellow Brethern to have multiple means that the low and slow competitor could experiment test and master. I am not the Miron type that believes if I use a muffin pan, no one else can.

May everyone truely have a very Merry Christmas and New Years:icon_clown

MoGreen
12-25-2009, 03:47 AM
So the answer is mayonnaise? Are you pulling my leg, Jim? Just straight mayo, or do you mix it with vinegar or something? Don't make me come over there and peek in your windows!

Bbq Bubba
12-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Mayo is not a secret. Nor does it crisp skin @ 225. Please try again. Merry Christmas.

Tiki Wolf
12-25-2009, 08:17 AM

I won't give away all of my method, but I will say that I apply a certain type of "lotion" (no blue bottles here) to the skin, no seasoning on top, and it starts out directly on a rack.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Podge
12-25-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm sure non-rubbery chicken skin can happen at 225 just as easily as it can happen at 250.

Candy Sue
12-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Couple of things I've tried. A regular spritz of thinned simple syrup water and don't sauce. It's a crisp skin. Sauce turns it immediately to rubber.

Balls Casten
12-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Aside from temps, we've had the best luck by pulling the skin off scraping the fat from it. Then wraping back around the meat. We do this with our turkeys too.

Spydermike72
12-26-2009, 06:48 AM
How do you keep Low and Slow (225í) Chicken skin from ending up rubbery when turned in to Judges?

Well after reading all of the responses to this question, I see that there is a big difference in opinions (which is good) as to what can work. My answer is to practice and see what works for you and your cooker. I have had fairly good success with a Weber Kettle, and we have also done well with a UDS cranked up to 275. Find a process and refine it over time...

Now if some would like to share their process that would be great, as I am always open to new tips and techniques. However I dont feel there is one single answer as there are too many variables involved, and being able to manage those variables are what makes you a good pitmaster.

Bbq Bubba
12-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry Jim, that came off sorta rude, didn't mean it to be. :)Mayo is not a secret. Nor does it crisp skin @ 225. Please try again. Merry Christmas.

bigabyte
12-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I think the original question was how to prevent rubbery skin, right?

Mayo does help with a bite through skin, it is not crispy at all, just soft and bite through, not rubbery. I find best results are using mayo, and when the chicken gets to temp putting it in a covered pan with sauce for an hour, keeping warm at 165-170. The skin will be very, very soft and bite through.

If you want crispy though, you have to go high heat. So if you want crispy skin, there it is.

ZILLA
12-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I thought KCBS cookers boiled their chicken to get the skin soft aka - bite through - after they smoked it.

Bbq Bubba
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Boiled in buttah! :)I thought KCBS cookers boiled their chicken to get the skin soft aka - bite through - after they smoked it.

Jeff_in_KC
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Not me. Tried butter once and it didn't work for me at all. Maybe it was because I didn't fill the pan with butter. Or because I didn't boil them in muffin pans.

Don Jeansonne
12-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I have not been able to prevent rubbery skin on a smoker at such low temps.
I believe that you have to get to 275 -300 to crisp the skin and direct heat definitely helps.
At a recent competition I saw several cookers using a kettle type to do their chicken and they placed and not me.
I also have heard about using mayo and running at 350F for the first hour then slowing down but have not trie it --- mayo seems just wrong on chicken.

Bigmista
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Note to self: Avoid threads started by Big Jim.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I won't give away all of my method, but I will say that I apply a certain type of "lotion" (no blue bottles here) to the skin, no seasoning on top, and it starts out directly on a rack.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

so what are you saying? or are you saying anything at all?

Contracted Cookers
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Bygabite is on the money.

Podge
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
here's a link:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bite+thru+chicken+skin

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
here's a link:

I like that Google thing. How'd you do that?

KuyasKitchen
12-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought KCBS cookers boiled their chicken to get the skin soft aka - bite through - after they smoked it.

The secret is to boil the chicken in the beer you first boiled your ribs in.

big brother smoke
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
ROFLMAO:biggrin:

QansasjayhawQ
12-27-2009, 06:56 AM
here's a link:

Sure, anyone can do a google search and read for days . . .

But here at the BBQ Brethren web site you can ask questions and get excellent answers from really nice people who care.

The turds in the punch bowl are few and far between and it's much more sociable to be able to get to know the folks here.

Actually answering questions with specific thoughts coming from the experience of the Brethren is always going to be far more valuable than reading the noise contained in the results of a google search.

I normally start my chicken on my Weber kettle over a nice hot fire - makes some nice looking grill marks too. Once it gets nice and brown, I move it over to my vertical Brinkmann box smoker and let it cruise at 225F for two to three hours. (Target temperature 165F internal)

The skin comes out bite through, but not crispy and it places OK Not great, not wonderful, but OK.

I AM going to experiment with scraping the fat off the skin because, as a judge, I hate to get a big blob of chicken fat in my mouth, especially if it's bland chicken fat.

Hope this helps!

Dale P
12-27-2009, 07:39 AM
here's a link:

hahaha :mrgreen:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I have a " chicken flip grill" and have been getting crispy skin by basting the skin with EVOO and cooking with the skin side down as much as possible. I watch it closly and flip it just enough to keep the skin from burning. The skin stays crispy sitting on the counter for 15 mins. or more. Im not sure if the box would cause it to steam and turn rubbery or not. Today is the muffin chicken experiment.

Sledneck
12-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I have a " chicken flip grill" and have been getting crispy skin by basting the skin with EVOO and cooking with the skin side down as much as possible. I watch it closly and flip it just enough to keep the skin from burning. The skin stays crispy sitting on the counter for 15 mins. or more. Im not sure if the box would cause it to steam and turn rubbery or not. Today is the muffin chicken experiment.Oh man, all of this this time i totally misunderstood the flipping thing. I had thought from an earlier conversation with you that we are supposed to "flip you the bird" as we walked past your cooker. Sorry about that:redface:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Oh man, all of this this time i totally misunderstood the flipping thing. I had thought from an earlier conversation with you that we are supposed to "flip you the bird" as we walked past your cooker. Sorry about that:redface:

and I thought you didnt like me....now I see that you were just wishing me luck.

Podge
12-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Turd in a punch bowl, I might be. But I took his question as more of a "dare to see how much you think you know" more so than "let's help brethren out, and probably me" type question. If he'd just made a simple question of "Is it possible to get un-rubbery chicken skin at 225 ?" He'd got more and better answers in my opinion. Well, from me anyway.

Sledneck
12-27-2009, 09:06 AM
and I thought you didnt like me....now I see that you were just wishing me luck.I was telling you what place you dream of finishing in

watg?
12-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I was telling you what place you dream of finishing in

what a guy!:-D

SmokedJohnson
12-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I like the whole turd in a punch bowl comment thats just funny:)

JD McGee
12-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Parkay...(butter)...Parkay...(butter)...Parkay...( butter)...:tongue:

Smoke'n Ice
12-27-2009, 11:30 AM
The secret is the product you start with. The large, over fed, over processed chicken thighs from Sams, Costco, Safeway, Kroger, etc require massive amounts of trimming, scrapping and skin de-fat to even fit in a muffin tin, much less crisp up. With all that said, find a source for small thighs and work from there. They normally require minimal trimming, no scrapping of skin and fit in the grill, tin or whatever and can benefit from the application or a lotion or mayo or parkey. Be careful with the mayo as it contains emulsified oil, raw egg products and acid.

Alexa RnQ
12-27-2009, 11:32 AM
We've been doing it wrong. We've always used chicken from Costco. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/blank.gif

BigJimsBBQ
01-04-2010, 10:58 PM

ROFLMAO:biggrin:

Thanks Guys, :roll:

monty3777
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
require massive amounts of trimming, scrapping and skin de-fat to even fit in a muffin tin, much less crisp up.

Who would put chicken in a muffin tin, for Cliff's sake???? Too much T.V.:wink:

oceanpigassassins
01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Don't talk about the muffin pan miron might get mad.

bam
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Don't talk about the muffin pan miron might get mad.
He may get mad how his name is spelled. (Myron) Are the thighs boneless in the muffin pans?

oceanpigassassins
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Sorry about that myron