PDA

View Full Version : Stick Burners should have to use Thin Metal!

WineMaster
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Have'nt seen this one debated yet.

BBQ isnt about what you use, or how you create heat. Its about good people having a blast doin what they love to do. It dont take the smartest person in the world to throw a piece of wood on top of a bunch of other wood thats burning and keep a pit up to temp. Lots of threads going about what is right and what is wrong.

Kinda funny.

Dan

Lake Dogs
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
And men under 190lbs (women under 150lbs) should be required to cook naked.

Brings a whole new element to some of the comp's Peoples Choice awards, doesn't it?

Rich Parker
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I think fat guys should get an advantage over the skinny folks. :biggrin:

I break a sweat in the middle of the winter just adding fuel to my cooker.

pat
12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I break a sweat in the middle of the winter just adding fuel to my cooker.

:biggrin:

KC_Bobby
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Pat, hows that CTO treating ya? Ya burnin stix in er? If not ya might as well be baking.

TN_BBQ
12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
No rigs and/or trailers, either.

You either load and unload your truck manually or you don't bother entering. :-P

txschutte
12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
All alcohol consumed will be brewed/distilled on site.

Brauma
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
And in the spirit of "going green" you have to bring a windmill or solar array to power your FEC's, Treagers, Guru's, etc.

<ducking for cover>

:mrgreen:

Yakfishingfool
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM

BBQ isnt about what you use, or how you create heat. Its about good people having a blast doin what they love to do. It dont take the smartest person in the world to throw a piece of wood on top of a bunch of other wood thats burning and keep a pit up to temp. Lots of threads going about what is right and what is wrong.

Kinda funny.

Dan

While I agree with most of what you say here, I gotta say until you are the one gauging pit temps and woods tossing you really have no idea how hard it is. Variability in wood, changing weather conditions, changing pit conditions. Anybody that can throw wood on a fire and keep a pit in the sweet spot is certainly smarter than a pellet pooper operator.

TN_BBQ
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
smarter than a pellet pooper operator.

So you are saying that you know it is harder and yet you continue? Guess I need to pull out my dictionary and look up the word smarter.

For the record, I don't have a pellet pooper and I sure ain't threatened by them. Maybe I ain't "smart" enough to be afraid.

ClayHill
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I say we get rid of all thermometers in pits too..........everyone should gauge pit temp on feel (pit temp or exhaust temp).....

sitnfat
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I do touch my pit just incase my thermometers ever ****s out I have a good idea of about how hot it is!!!!

Merl
12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
It gets really bad on this site when so many people get snowed in at once!
Merl

KuyasKitchen
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Enclosed burners are for wussies. Pellet poopers are for pellet poopers. All meat must be cooked on a single rusty WSM grate over green logs (cut no more than 120 days previous).

Flavor profile? What are we ... FRENCH? The only spices allowed are salt, pepper, and the flavorless kind of paprika.

ModelMaker
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Merl

I hear ya sister...
ModelMaker

KC_Bobby
12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, the tradition of Festivus does begin with the Airing of Grievances. We got a lot of problems with many of our barbeque beliefs! So, you're gonna hear about it.

musicmanryann
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
This may go down in the annals the Brethren history as the most epic thread ever conjured! I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far!

pat
12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Pat, hows that CTO treating ya? Ya burnin stix in er? If not ya might as well be baking.

Stix? Hell I just flip on the gas and turn the dial to the temp I want. They don't call it a Convecture Tri OVEN for nothin' :tongue:

WineMaster
12-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Merl

As if the last 16 inches were'nt enough, were supose to get another 15"-20"
over Christmas to go with the 3.5" we got last night. My Self-Made insulated guru controlled beast will be chugging along on friday, uneffected by any of the evil elements mother nature can throw at it. Traeger has issues with snow snot and wind. Who says there set it and forget it.

Merry Christmas

Dan

HoDeDo
12-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Anybody that can throw wood on a fire and keep a pit in the sweet spot is certainly smarter than a pellet pooper operator. What if you can keep a pit in it's sweet spot, and choose to use a pellet pooper... does that make you smarter yet?
Guess that narrows down who the brains on your team is:rolleyes: hehe.

So you are saying that you know it is harder and yet you continue? Guess I need to pull out my dictionary and look up the word smarter.
For the record, I don't have a pellet pooper and I sure ain't threatened by them. Maybe I ain't "smart" enough to be afraid.

Amen, some of us work smarter, not harder... And I definitely wouldn't be afraid. Scott on the other hand should be afraid..... very afraid :razz:

<stir the pot mod>

smoke-n-my-i's
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
:eek: If the metal on my stick burners get any thinner, we would be able to see the meat cooking....

Bones
12-23-2009, 11:54 AM
:eek: If the metal on my stick burners get any thinner, we would be able to see the meat cooking....
Same here, I have foil pans lining the bottom of my firebox to cut down the extra draft ports. I will be retiring the old offset since i just got a Backwoods.

nthole
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
What's a 'stick burner'? Is that a pit where you use those logs that come in a wrapper from the grocery store?

:grin:

Bones
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
What's a 'stick burner'? Is that a pit where you use those logs that come in a wrapper from the grocery store?

:grin:

You only use those to start the fire. I like to add extra lighter fluid to get it started quickly. But that is just me.

Bigmista
12-23-2009, 03:20 PM
What is this snow you all speak of?

75 and sunny here today.

Bigmista
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I think everyone should have to grow your own banana leaves to wrap the meat, dig a pit in the ground and build a grate out of twigs and vines.

But I'm a purist...

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Kinda funny.

Dan

I have to agree. For me I have a blast cookin' with my stick burner. I think it is that primal instinct of cooking meat with fire that first attracted me to BBQing so many years ago. I contemplated buying a pellet pooper or a BGE once in my life, after cooking with my first "beginner" stick burner (NB Black Diamond). I did some soul searching and knew I wouldn't be as happy with a pooper or egg as I would with a stick burner. It has nothing to do with being smart or whatever... It's all about having choices and choosing what makes you enjoy cooking BBQ. This forum would be almost useless if we all had to cook on the same size and type of cooker. For me, eating BBQ is only half the reason I love cooking it. The other half is hanging out by the cooker with new & old friends, getting drunk and having fun.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
What is this snow you all speak of?

75 and sunny here today.

I looked up your weather on...

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA0632

You better get a new thermometer! LOL :lol:

BTW I lived in Redondo for 15 years and worked in Long Beach for the same. I worked at the railroad container yard where the old Lyon's Drag Strip use to be. Also worked at the Port of Long Beach (Hanjin Container Terminal) where the old Navy shipyard use to be.

This Is How We Que It
12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I have to agree. For me I have a blast cookin' with my stick burner. I think it is that primal instinct of cooking meat with fire that first attracted me to BBQing so many years ago. I contemplated buying a pellet pooper or a BGE once in my life, after cooking with my first "beginner" stick burner (NB Black Diamond). I did some soul searching and knew I wouldn't be as happy with a pooper or egg as I would with a stick burner. It has nothing to do with being smart or whatever... It's all about having choices and choosing what makes you enjoy cooking BBQ. This forum would be almost useless if we all had to cook on the same size and type of cooker. For me, eating BBQ is only half the reason I love cooking it. The other half is hanging out by the cooker with new & old friends, getting drunk and having fun.

Somebody once told me "You booze, You lose" :icon_sick

QansasjayhawQ
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Somebody once told me "You booze, You lose" :icon_sick
It takes decades of practice to be able to focus and concentrate while liquored up. For some of us who grew up without Ritalin, it was the medication we had at the time . . . well, that and some herbal medication . ..

Now that I am older, I find that I do MUCH better without any chemistry other than a cup of strong coffee Saturday morning . . .

WineMaster
12-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Purist-----

Bigmista Red Large Spicewine - Big Red
Bigmista Black Medium Spicewine - Junior
Bigmista Backyard XL-UDS - Yellow Boy
Bigmista Backyard UDS - Little Blue
Chargriller - Bench Mob
Dual IR/Probe Thermapen
Super accurate Corvette Yellow Thermapen