PDA

View Full Version : New Smoker?

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
What would you recomend to someone who has some smaller smoker's and want's to compete more but not a huge buget. What smoker's would you guys recomend?

MilitantSquatter
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
What's your budget and what's the transportation you have ?

WSM's are usually the common answer when comps & budgets are in the same sentence.

Contracted Cookers
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
FEC and a UDS

ique
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
What would you recomend to someone who has some smaller smoker's and want's to compete more but not a huge buget. What smoker's would you guys recomend?

22" WSM's

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Man I know this is going to be a dumb question. But what is A FEC and A UDS

Cigarbque
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Man I know this is going to be a dumb question. But what is A FEC and A UDS

FEC = Fast Eddie Cookshack. Pellet cooker made by Cookshack cost around $3,500.00. Works great.

UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker or Upright Drum Smoker. Homemade cooker from a 55 gallon vertical drum. Cost next to nothing or up to a few hundred dollars dependi on how you build it. Works great.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Lang.

Redheart
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Heck I have been competing with ECB water smokers. You can compete with whatever you have.

Rub
12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
July 16-17 there will be a bunch of Stump's Smokers you can check out in person at the contest.

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
What comp will that be at?

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Redheart I was the team next to you at Newnan comp

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Rub ummmm I would like to give you one be Roll Tide....lol

Rub
12-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Man, I seem to be getting it from Bama folks today...ouch! :rolleyes:

Here's the event:
July 16-17, 2010 Hot Ribs & Cool Blues BBQ Festival - Anniston, AL (FBA)
Historic Downtown Anniston Business Association - 1012 Noble St. - Anniston, AL 36201
(256)-342-2121 or e-mail: for information (dan@tv24.tv)

bamaman76
12-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Yea but i do it in good fun I promise. Im A big Tebow fan, plus you guys over the last two or three years almost unstoppable.

QansasjayhawQ
12-21-2009, 10:14 PM
The last time I competed I used my Weber 22" kettle, my Brinkmann upright (old, not made anymore) and my Brinkmann SmokeNPit Pro. Total cost between all three of those is far less than $500 and I bought them all at my local Ace Hardware store.

The key is to know your tools forwards and backwards and, as always, practice practice practice!

Are they as good as other smokers? Unless you're Redheart with the El Cheapo Brinkmanns, probably not. But I have cooked dozens of times on each one, and hundreds (maybe over a thousand?) of times on the Weber kettle. These are the instruments that I know best and I love to use them.

It's good to have good equipment. Just know that it's going to take some time and practice to learn whatever it is that you decide on.

Have fun!

(Hmm. Guess I should update my signature.)

crd26a
12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Rubs comment on Stumps is solid, but we ended up going with Superior Smokers for our new comp smokers (getting two SS-2's for cooking). Theres a lot of history between Stump/Superiod/DW Kountry Cookers on the gravity feed smokers, but fuel economy, insulation, size and budget all had things we liked about gravity feeds over offsets and pellet smokers. I'll be in Macon on Monday picking both of ours up

Lake Dogs
12-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Bamaman, interestingly enough, I picked up my used Lang 60 in Anniston this past
summer.

I'm personally a fan of the offset smokers. However, there sure is something to be
said for a nice gravity fed set-it-and-forget-it type of cooker, like the Stumps
and Superior (see above) cookers.

Lang (pigroast.com) and Bubba Grills (bubbagrills.net) both make outstanding reverse
flow offset cookers. If you watch craigslist closely you may find one used; I did.

RobKC
12-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Rubs comment on Stumps is solid, but we ended up going with Superior Smokers for our new comp smokers (getting two SS-2's for cooking). Theres a lot of history between Stump/Superiod/DW Kountry Cookers on the gravity feed smokers, but fuel economy, insulation, size and budget all had things we liked about gravity feeds over offsets and pellet smokers. I'll be in Macon on Monday picking both of ours up

Those crimson and blue twins sure will look nice! :biggrin:

bamaman76
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I actually have a Chargriller offset smoker and a Brinkman bullet smoker. I am just looking to upgrade and try not to spend A ton of money. "GOT TO KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY!" Lake Dogs are you coming to Anniston this year to compete?

Divemaster
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
The key is to know your tools forwards and backwards and, as always, practice practice practice!
As always, the Jayhawk is the smartest bird!!! (KU mod!)

Lang.

Bamaman, interestingly enough, I picked up my used Lang 60 in Anniston this past summer.

I'm personally a fan of the offset smokers. However, there sure is something to be said for a nice gravity fed set-it-and-forget-it type of cooker, like the Stumps and Superior (see above) cookers.

Lang (pigroast.com) and Bubba Grills (bubbagrills.net) both make outstanding reverse flow offset cookers. If you watch craigslist closely you may find one used; I did.
I too love my Lang (A.K.A. 'The Mistress'). It's the only cooker that we take to a comp and the only one we need.

While they aren't all that cheap new, you can sometimes find them used on CL. I've seen other cookers that, IMHO, don't cook as well for a lot more money.

Lake Dogs
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I actually have a Chargriller offset smoker and a Brinkman bullet smoker. I am just looking to upgrade and try not to spend A ton of money. "GOT TO KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY!" Lake Dogs are you coming to Anniston this year to compete?

I do understand keeping the wife happy!!!

If we head your direction this coming year it'll probably be Talladega. That
$50k purse sure looks interesting. Figure if we do come away with a dollar
or two, might was well be three or four, right?

The Lang and the Bubba Grills offset smokers have a baffle in them so that
the heat and smoke are directed to the front of the cooker before allowing
it to come back to the cooking chamber. For an offset cooker, this allows
the smoke to be a little more evenly distributed and same for the heat.
I dont have the hot-spots that I do on my old Brinkmann Stillwater.

Tuscaloosa born (Druid City Hospital); ROLL TIDE!

Jacksonville State Graduate; Go Cocks!!!

Big George's BBQ
12-22-2009, 09:47 AM
A lot of people @ Comps do Great and have a Great toime with WSMs. My son has one and loves it

Spydermike72
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
If price is a concern, you cant go wrong with a WSM, I would also ask that you consider a Backwoods. You can get a Party for about $1500 and it is a great cooker and you can easily cook all of your comp meats on one...

dmprantz
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Lots of ppl have lots of good ideas. I'll throw in my $0.02:

First, you really need to have your budget defined, as has already been pointed out. There are lots pits for various price ranges, but it's not worth suggesting a $4,000 rig if you can't spend that much.

Next, I would not buy a pit just for competition. Buy something that you like to cook on and can keep going without gas or electric heat. If it works in comps great. Note, this is for the budget minded competitor. If you have money to burn on comp only equipment, it's a different story.

As has been pointed out, a lot of ppl do well with some combination of Weber bullets (WSM), Kettles, and home made drum smokers, any of which can be built/purchased for the $50-$300 price range. I myself have competed before on a New Braunfel Silver Smoker. All of these allow you to sleep some at night as well, though you may be best fitted to use a Stoker to be sure.

A step up from that are ceramic cookers such as BGE, Primo, etc. I would throw Bubba Keg in here as well. These are probably in the $700+ price range and give you better fuel economy, but less space, and so more money to cook four categories. Also in this price range are low end pellet cookers. Similar to the ceramics, you'll get sleep, but low cooking space, requiring more cookers.

A step up from there are low end custom stick burners from the likes of Gator, Lang, Lonestar, and many others. These will arguably provide a lot of space, but they require a lot more feeding than the ones mentioned so far. Depending on the size, bells, and wistles, you're probably starting out at around $1,200 and going up from there. Also in this price range are large consumer pellet cookers and small insulated charcoal cookers (Backwoods, Spicewine, etc).

After that, you get into even more expensive pits of all kinds. Large stick burners (See Above), commercial pellet cookers (FEC and Traeger), and large insulated charcoal (Stumps, BWS, SW). Some of these are around $1,500, some $3,500, and beyond. There are lots of websites to look at and lots of options. It really just depends on your budget and the type of Q you wanna make.

Two other things to consider are how you are going to get the pit to you, and how you are going to get the pit to a comp. Pits can be heavy, and transporting them expensive. If you get one of the stick burners mentioned above, transporting it to you may cost more than a WSM! Also, do you have a pickup truck and/or trailer for getting pits to and from competitions? If not, can you mount a trailer to your car? All questions to answer.

Hope this helps,

dmp

crd26a
12-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Those crimson and blue twins sure will look nice! :biggrin:

I'd have to puke if they were crimson and blue. You're lucky I ordered you a blue one to set next to my black one. That is assuming it doesn't have a bunch of paint thinner thrown on it before we get back

Divemaster
12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Lots of ppl have lots of good ideas. I'll throw in my $0.02:......

Hope this helps,

dmp
Very well said brother dmp, well said.